KOTM: What movie would you have done?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

KOTM: What movie would you have done?

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Since I did a thread like this G14, I feel it wouldn't be fair to not do the same with KOTM

Basically, let's say Legendary contacts you after Edwards jumped off the boat to direct Rogue One, and they want you to direct and write KOTM (and let's assume you know how to do both)

You've basically got 100% creative liberty to do whatever you want, come up with your own stories, characters etc etc

But, you must use Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah, since their appearance would already have been announced

With that said, I do have some detailed stuff I will post here, but in the meantime, all yours fellow users
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: KOTM: What movie would you have done?

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Nothing. I think it was perfect as it is.

I didn't even mind the whole "overpopulation"/"Humans are evah" trope because it worked perfectly for this movie and was executed well with how its dealt with by having nature take care of it through releasing the Titans. Though at the same time that could by my bias talking. :lol:

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I would do the SAME. SKREEONKING. THING (with the couple of changes I mentioned in the How Would You Have Edited thread). Box office and critics be damned, (though BO would be nice for future MV) this was one of the most epic monster bash Godzilla movies I've ever seen and I would rather have this than another 2014 styled slowburn or-Godzilla forbid-an Anime Godzilla snoozefest.

Some additional things I would do however is to scrap Bradley Whitford and his character Rick Stanton completely (No offense, he did OK but we don't need 2 jokesters). Then remove Kyle Chandler (Again no offense, he did a great job and I personally liked him but we need someone bigger) from the main character role and give it to someone who would draw in the general crowd instead. Having the main father character be a big named star would help to draw in more people for BO.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

Overall I would have kept the film largely the same but with some alterations. Visually I would make the color palettes brighter and more noticeable. Ghidorah should be gold, even at night, Rodan a more obvious maroon/burgundy, and Mothra much more vibrant. No shaky cam for the kaiju fights, more static and distant camera angles to capture similar cinematography as the Toho films.

The opening scene I would have scrapped the dramatic entrance by the eco-terrorists. If it weren't for plot armor/convenience Maddie and Emma would've likely been caught in the crossfire despite it being the mother's plan all along. I would have scratched the explosion and had the majority of the workers in the lab turn out to be working for Jonah with a "quieter" takeover. Maybe just executing Scott Clarke's character without his knowledge while he stared out the glass. It would give more weight to Emma's line about telling him to go get some sleep and get out of there because she knew what was going to happen. In general I would make any of the Monarch base takeovers inside jobs because Emma was said to "have recruited almost everyone in this room."

Whitford I could have done without but kept Stanton and toned him back a little. There should be a moment in the movie where despite Rick being comic relief and a jokester all the time, when shit hit the fan he actually tempers himself (Ghidorah surviving Oxygen Destroyer, Serizawa's sacrifice, etcetera).

At the briefing I would have left it with just Serizawa and Graham. I would have turned it into a debate about the eco-terrorists capturing Titans and their DNA, the development of anti-Titan weapons, and so on.

Kyle Chandler's character would shift more to an animal/Titan behaviorologist so his role would make more sense given the context of the film rather than "ORCA was a grad school project." For example, explain why he could infer Godzilla would perceive Castle Bravo as a threat with guns out and shields up, why he would want to see Godzilla's swimming routes, etcetera. He could make sense of every monsters' actions and relate that to Monarch/the audience.

Antarctica would largely stay the same except Monster Zero would be named because he was the first Titan discovered on Monarch's radar even before Godzilla instead of "a recent discovery." That made little sense to me. Ghidorah's backstory (including potentially being from space) should be given then and there as the Argo flew to the base, explaining the lore behind the monster and rivalry with Godzilla instead of peppering it in later. I have Godzilla and Ghidorah's fight last a little longer, but Ghidorah ultimately dealing a near fatal beating to Godzilla before flying away. Cue "Long live the King." Graham doesn't die in this version.

Mexico would play out as in the movie but the Argo leading Rodan away from the city actually and then towards Ghidorah. Ghidorah beats Rodan into submission. The military sends everything out at Ghidorah; MOABs, full metal missiles, etcetera. Everything short of a nuke. They sever a head and it grows back, everyone has an oh crap moment. Ghidorah disrupts the balance of nature with his worldwide call, this leads into scenes showing the Titans destroying cities in a clear frenzied state. Show Ghidorah demolishing D.C. with Rodan.

Add in an expanded scene about Chandler explaining the ORCA having combined Godzilla and human bioacoustics and leading to its pacifying, friendly, or a "get back" effect on Titans. Ghidorah's biorhythm and frequencies clash with this and creates a negative stir in the Titans. Also theorize that Ghidorah recognizes Godzilla's and human's bioacoustics as threats and wants to eliminate them.

Mothra appears at Castle Bravo as previously shown in the movie. Add in some debate about the use of nukes on Ghidorah and the Titans, shift it towards "what about on Godzilla?" Show they want to do this with a heavy heart and out of desperation. Rest of Godzilla's revival plays out the same without being so dramatic with the nuclear explosion and the submarine trying to get away in time.

The final battle would be mostly untouched outside of the cinematography choices I mentioned first. ORCA is activated and the Titans stop their frenzied actions. ORCA would stay in Fenway park and get destroyed by Ghidorah, Maddie has her family reunion (Emma definitely arrested and tried). Godzilla's power up will be temporary and not sound threatening. His powerup would be enough to put him on even ground with Ghidorah and do significant damage with his nuclear pulses however time runs out before he can land the killing blow. One of the largest changes would have Mothra beat Rodan into his senses. Rodan only became frenzied because of Ghidorah's call and beating. Then it becomes a three on one fight with Ghidorah after Godzilla's powerup fades. I would keep the atmospheric drop and have Mothra and Rodan attempt to slow his descent and receive damage from the fall. Ghidorah screeches and the Titans go back to wreaking havoc. Mothra's final scene plays out exactly in the movie; when she explodes in a shower of dust Stenton mentions an enormous surge in radiation, far greater than what happens with nuclear fallout. Godzilla absorbs this and gets a second powerup, kills Ghidorah the same way. Godzilla roars and pacifies the rest of the Titans once more.

Something like that.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I would've kept it mostly the same. I'm not movie director, but if tomorrow I got hit with super movie director powers, with the ability to change a film, I would've just narrowed down the human story. Too much going on. Also, probably would've cut this film down by 20 minutes. Less human characters to havea more coherent, direct story, where we can really focus on a few characters, and then it also leaves for more monster action.

bbb636
Ronin

Post by bbb636 »

One member mention something about no human
Talking, i think thats the most original and interesting idea.
If he or she can develop on that..i can't wait to read and imagine that story.

How much time do we got?
The ultimate fantasy, my own G movie.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

One that wouldn't kill my career
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

first off, i would redesign Ghidorah just a bit. His horns would be more like that of the middle head in Grand King and i would also add manes instead of horns on the side. Rodan gets a bit of a redesign as well, i would make his tail more Dimorphodon like and and make his eyes pure black like the original. Mothra stays the same.

i would add an extra layer to the character's,since i thought they weren't that good. Graham doesn't die in my version. the Antartica fight last a bit longer. I would honestly cut out the OD and just have Ghidorah render Godzilla to near death. i would give the new monsters some more screen time.
also, this ones just on a personal level, but instead of Boston, Tokyo would be the final battle spot. but this ones out of pure bias really. most of the final fight goes the same. smaller changes would be adding some more easter eggs to classic Toho monsters, like it saying 'Titanus Anguirus' ont he screen.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Let's just say, I would change quite a bit. Mostly work on the human story and make Rodan actually have an impact on the story. I'll add more later.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'd just have Rodan team up with the others.

And no oxygen destroyer. Just have Ghidorah beat down Godzilla on his own. No contrived last minute plot devices, please.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I'd just have Rodan team up with the others.

And no oxygen destroyer. Just have Ghidorah beat down Godzilla on his own. No contrived last minute plot devices, please.
I mean, while those changes seem good, I find it curious that even having 100% creative liberty from day 1 you would have done basically the same movie but only with some changes
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I'd just have Rodan team up with the others.

I mean, while those changes seem good, I find it curious that even having 100% creative liberty from day 1 you would have done basically the same movie but only with some changes
Heh, I'm just on lunch break. Don't have the time to put a huge amount of thought into it yet. I just wanted to address my two biggest disappointments with the movie first.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

If I were to change anything, it would be to get a bigger named actor in the lead role. Kyle Chandler is a good actor and did a good job, but the movie could've used the extra marquee value of a more recognizable face and name in the lead. I don't think you'd even have needed to change anyone or anything else, just get someone more notable.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Replace the OD with a MOAB.

Left Vivienne alive.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Ivo-goji wrote:Replace the OD with a MOAB.
I don't think a MOAB could hurt Godzilla that badly. Though I do agree that it could distract Godzilla and allow King Ghidorah to gain the upper hand and almost kill Godzilla himself.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I probably would’ve gone for a loose remake of GtTHM but with a different human plot. Although I’m happy with the story we got, here’s was what I probably would’ve preferred as far as kaiju are concerned.
Spoiler:
Ghidorah is broken out of containment in Antarctica. Godzilla shows up and fights, but is beaten as seen in the film. Ghidorah awakens all of the Titans, including Rodan, who breaks out of containment on his own upon hearing the call. Rodan, however, is the only one who won’t obey Ghidorah, as he has that same desire to be the Alpha. Rodan very briefly fights Ghidorah and loses.

Mothra Larva calls Godzilla and Rodan in an attempt to form an alliance, and a humorous sequence plays out where they refuse to listen and as they begin to fight, both get webbed in the face. Ghidorah interrupts this meeting, forcing Mothra to flee into the ocean. Godzilla watches idly as Ghidorah incapacitates Rodan, and then attempts to fight Ghidorah again. He suffers a humiliating beatdown here, with Ghidorah slamming his talons down on him repeatedly and we hear bones breaking. Godzilla manages to rip one of the heads off, and as Ghidorah reacts to this, Godzilla crawls weakly back into the ocean. All of this plays out as a daytime sequence.

We then get a somber montage: Rodan roosts in an unnamed volcano, seemingly going back to sleep. Mothra resurfaces and creates her cocoon. Ghidorah (who has regrown his head) and the Titans get a scene dedicated to them destroying cities all over the world. A week goes by as the characters fail to find any trace of Godzilla.

As in the real film, Adult Mothra leads Monarch to Godzilla. Serizawa makes his sacrifice and revives Godzilla. As Godzilla shoots his beam in the air, Mothra flies towards it, chirping loudly and flying in circles around the pillar of blue light.

Upon taking the fight to Ghidorah, the two slowly find themselves outmatched. Just as Ghidorah is about to deliver a killing blow to Mothra, he is intercepted by Rodan’s heroic entrance. Rodan and Mothra take the battle to the air as Godzilla fires at Ghidorah with his atomic breath. Ghidorah uses both his lateral heads to bite and strangle Rodan, to the point where he passes out. As Rodan falls from his grasp, Mothra swoops down to grab Rodan and slow his descent while directing his unconscious body to the ocean instead of the hard land. Ghidorah notices this, and takes the opportunity to once again go after Godzilla. In an extended sequence, Ghidorah lifts Godzilla into the atmosphere while constricting and biting him. He drops an unconscious Godzilla, and Mothra grabs him midair. But Godzilla is just too heavy to slow down, so Mothra maneuvers herself so that she is under Godzilla, and begins making a large clump of webbing. He descends with her clasping below him, crushing her with his own body weight as he hits the ground; Mothra has sacrificed herself to soften the blow. Her energy then transfers to Godzilla. At this point the movie plays out the same way it did in theaters, with Emma providing the distraction needed for Godzilla to get back on his feet. The ending scene only has one difference, namely that Rodan arrives by limping out of the ocean to meet Godzilla with the rest of the Titans.
There might be some changes to this outline I would make here and there but generally I would make the highs feel higher and the lows lower, so it truly feels like a dramatic monster opera on a massive scale.
Last edited by LockBite on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

GuardianGhido wrote:
I don't think a MOAB could hurt Godzilla that badly. Though I do agree that it could distract Godzilla and allow King Ghidorah to gain the upper hand and almost kill Godzilla himself.
That or it's like... a special Godzilla-hurting MOAB, like with cadmium in it or something.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Ivo-goji wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
That or it's like... a special Godzilla-hurting MOAB, like with cadmium in it or something.
Ohhh yes, cadmium, of course. Since the MUTOS and Godzilla are radiation eating monsters, it's assumed anti-radiation weapons like cadmium is effective against all titans but it doesn't do anything to King Ghidorah. Makes sense.

In my version though I'd still remove superweapon deus-ex-machina from this one and just have Ghidorah straight up beat Godzilla (shocking the gills to free himself and blasting Goji from the sky maybe) to establish him as a threat far above everything else so far.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Working with the general framework of the movie we already have:

1.) Start the movie with a Rodan scene. Start with a few scenes of city life, NYPD Blue style, just to get a feel of the human element/realism. Introduce Jonas, who is testing out a prototype of Emma's Orca. He'll be in a remote area, with a high view over the city, and just as we get a taste for the human element, Jonas explains how "Environmental Disaster X" (pick your poison) has degraded the natural landscape/quality of life here. With that, he sets Rodan free, who levels the city in more vivid detail than previously shown.

2.) Rodan is lured to Ghidorah, along with Godzilla, after they use Orca on Ghidorah. Rodan is neutral in the fight at first, but when Ghidorah gains the upper hand, Rodan views him as the alpha, and together they both mortally wound Godzilla, who falls through the ice, defeated. Ghidorah's head, still bitten off here, can sink with him. (No need for oxygen destroyer, and Godzilla can be re-awakened by the nuke.)

3.) A significant amount of the movie revolves around awakening Mothra (in a cocoon -- not an egg, because we don't need Larvae Mothra to introduce Orca), who can even the fight. Some of this will revolve around getting Emma to see that her cause is not for the best.

4.) After Ghidorah's defeat in the final battle, Jonas awakens all of the titans as a last resort.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote: I don't think a MOAB could hurt Godzilla that badly. Though I do agree that it could distract Godzilla and allow King Ghidorah to gain the upper hand and almost kill Godzilla himself.
Ohhh yes, cadmium, of course. Since the MUTOS and Godzilla are radiation eating monsters, it's assumed anti-radiation weapons like cadmium is effective against all titans but it doesn't do anything to King Ghidorah. Makes sense.

In my version though I'd still remove superweapon deus-ex-machina from this one and just have Ghidorah straight up beat Godzilla (shocking the gills to free himself and blasting Goji from the sky maybe) to establish him as a threat far above everything else so far.
That might be better because I wasn't happy with Stenz returning only to go back on his development in G14, where he was a reasonable authority figure who was mostly convinced Serizawa was right about using super weapons. On the other hand if Ghidorah just beats Godzilla on his own then Stenz has no reason to appear.
Resized Image