Godzilla KOTM Movie Poll

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

How do you rate Godzilla King Of The Monsters out of 10 stars.

1 out of 10 stars
2%
2 out of 10 stars
2%
3 out of 10 stars
2%
4 out of 10 stars
3%
5 out of 10 stars
8%
6 out of 10 stars
13%
7 out of 10 stars
19%
8 out of 10 stars
24%
9 out of 10 stars
14%
10 out of 10 stars
14%

Total votes: 128

Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Godzilla KOTM Movie Poll

Post by Dv-218 »

The fan in me screams 10/10, but obviously I decided to be a bit more rational with the rating. I gave it a 7/10- it wasn't perfect, and had some things that could have been a lot better in execution (especially in regards to characters and certain plot points that could have been expanded upon and used better) but overall, I felt that the positives greatly outclassed them. Had a great time with this one, probably the most fun I had during a cinema screening in a while lol. Probably my favorite Monsterverse entry so far. The sheer scope of the action here is insane, and the character filled portrayal of each one of the main Titans is an absolute delight. Each time they are on screen, the awe, majesty and fear they instill is immense The worldbuilding was a rather nice touch- I loved how they incorporated both actual mythology and fringe theories as an explanations for the role Titans played in the earth's past. and as meh as some of the characters were, I felt like most actors played their roles pretty well- Serizawa was definitely a standout imo. Honestly, I found a lot of them to be more tolerable than the characters in KSI. And although I wish it was given a little more depth and a sligthly better execution, I really liked thr overall messages of facing your inner fears and demons, and learning to accept and coexist with nature in a way that would be benefitial for all (even if the radiation aspect felt a little half assed). Overall, had a blast.

Also, favorite version of Ghidorah yet. Seriously, they did the good triple snek boi justice :)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

4/10, what I gave it at IMDb. Just not a very good film. At worst, “technically competent” with a strong visual design (because it’s so damned expensive, I guess). Poorly written, poorly directed, decently scored.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Terasawa wrote:4/10, what I gave it at IMDb. Just not a very good film. At worst, “technically competent” with a strong visual design (because it’s so damned expensive, I guess). Poorly written, poorly directed, decently scored.
But but...that doesn’t matter! None of that matters! Who goes to see a Godzilla film for all that???! It’s all about the monster action and that’s it. It gave me that so I give it a 20/10. Like, you crazy if you expect characters, good writing, and good directing from a GODZILLA movie. Pfff...these critic shills amiright? They’re soooo biased against us. They’re just jealous. :lol:
Last edited by Hokmuto on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, writing and visual design of the film.

They don't need to be strictly action pieces, but variety is nice for an ever-growing franchise.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I honestly really liked Kyle Chandler's portrayal of Mark here, he was my 2nd favorite after Serizawa. While it is true that a lot of the characters felt cartoony, I honestly feel like he's was the most "human" of them, so to speak- atleast from an emotional aspect. You could really tell he really did care for his family's safety despite the fact that Andrew's death tore them apart and caused him to resort into depression drinking, and the moment where he found out about Emma's insane plan- and moreso, that she convinced Madison this is the correct way- felt truly shattering from his perspective.

Also, as forced as a lot of it was, some of Stanton's lines gave me a good chuckle lol. Especially all of his remarks regarding Ghidorah.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

I gave it a 10 because I couldn't rate it any higher.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

This movie felt like an episode of Godzilla the series to me.

I think it’s super overrated among fans.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GoWhaleTours wrote:This movie felt like an episode of Godzilla the series to me.

I think it’s super overrated among fans.
Wow that's actually a pretty apt comparison. Even the lame jokes were a lot like Randy's jokes in the show.

Ultimately I agree with this from Nicholas Driscoll's mini-review on the main page:
But as for the movie as a whole, I left feeling like it was a huge missed opportunity. I wished that the action could have more real tension and excitement and build-up. I wished that the story could’ve had more clever twists and fewer (to me) lousy one-liners. To me, the whole affair came across as a slapped-together monstrosity with a heavy sprinkling of what seemed to me almost ironic, haphazard fan-service.
Final Wars 2.0.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I'm so conflicted. Not the worst thing of all time, the movie oozes passion for the source material; the fan service is out of control. Yet it felt like there was hardly any weight to the monster battles, and the human characters felt dumber than a sack of potatoes at times. You're telling me this terrorist group, with all their Titan tracking computers and hacking tech, can't be bothered to have some sort of security for the ORCA so that a 12 year old can steal it right out from under them? Really? Really??? Likewise, the "Godzilla is dead" fakeout was just plain insulting.

However, "There's no time to debate" cliche aside, I loved the way it handled Serizawa's death. Probably my favorite scene from the entire movie, and from the MonsterVerse so far. (On the other hand, please tell me I'm not the only one who had no idea Vivienne Graham was the one who got eaten by Ghidorah until they showed her KIA in the following scene...)

Went with... 4/10. Dipped just below average. Dougherty's done so much better.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I give it a 7 out of 10

It was enjoyable but I went in with low expectations, In the end i was entertained and left happy. There were flaws such as the jokes pretty much fell flat, it was about 20 minutes to long, Oxygen Destroyer felt forced in/wasted and I hated the family dynamic at the end. It felt like something in the later Showa era to me... Although it had a lot of great moments to, The Monster fights were great... Ghidorah and Rodan's entrances were fantastic... Mothra was beautiful and Dr. Serizawa giving his life to revive Godzilla and Godzilla rising from the sea is probably my favorite scene in the entire film and the Monsterverse to date. The other characters were forgettable...I didn't hate them as much as Ford Brody but none of them outside Dr. Serizawa did anything worth remembering. Oh an the Twin Fairy reference was great!

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

10 out of 10

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

I'd say 7-8 out of 10. Refer to my non spoiler review in the non spoiler review thread for more details, but the pros outweighed the cons for me. Probably in my top 10 favorite Godzilla films

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

_JNavs_ wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, writing and visual design of the film.

They don't need to be strictly action pieces, but variety is nice for an ever-growing franchise.
I would like to see your case why you enjoyed the writing.
Long Live The King

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I gave it a 6 though in a previous poll I gave it a 5. I don't really have anything against the film and I liked it better than G14 by and large but I wasn't particularly engaged with it either. This coming from somebody who hadn't seen any trailers and who had almost zero expectations going in. I'm curious to see what was cut though and it any of it helped flesh out the characters better. I honestly really do need to see it again as my opinion could very possibly change but as of right now it just didn't do a whole lot for me, but make no mistake I didn't hate it by any means. Its just kinda "meh". Still its probably a middle to lower tier film for me as a majority of the Showa era, even the worst entries, still have a level of old school charm on their side

Personally I had no qualms with Hawkins' death. She was barely in either film to begin with and her death did play a part in Serizawa's decision to ultimately sacrifice himself. So it's not like her death was completely without merit.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

bbb636
Ronin

Post by bbb636 »

GigaBowserG wrote:I'm so conflicted. Not the worst thing of all time, the movie oozes passion for the source material; the fan service is out of control. Yet it felt like there was hardly any weight to the monster battles, and the human characters felt dumber than a sack of potatoes at times. You're telling me this terrorist group, with all their Titan tracking computers and hacking tech, can't be bothered to have some sort of security for the ORCA so that a 12 year old can steal it right out from under them? Really? Really??? Likewise, the "Godzilla is dead" fakeout was just plain insulting.

However, "There's no time to debate" cliche aside, I loved the way it handled Serizawa's death. Probably my favorite scene from the entire movie, and from the MonsterVerse so far. (On the other hand, please tell me I'm not the only one who had no idea Vivienne Graham was the one who got eaten by Ghidorah until they showed her KIA in the following scene...)

Went with... 4/10. Dipped just below average. Dougherty's done so much better.
Damn,so frustrating,they had everything to do a masterpiece of a movie and that's what they came up with??

You want good monster fight, good acting, simple but effective plot, just look at skull island. This one is a 10/10
Last edited by bbb636 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Perhaps someone can explain something to me: I know that the mature thing to do is to respect all opinions on a movie, even those that don't gel with your own. That's fine and good. At the same time, I've seen fans (both on and off the forum) that didn't care for this movie, complaining that the acting, story and writing was substandard, yadda yadda yadda, and that the monster sequences didn't/can't/won't make up for those shortcomings. And among those detractors, there are those I know who will unironically defend another Godzilla movie in which a race of subterranean beach bums, who have engineered their own sun and can communicate with other nebulas, have to steal a robot from a Japanese scientist because their pet monster is too stupid to find its way to Tokyo...a city in a country that isn't even the cause of their natural disasters! I honestly get completely befuddled by fans who do this.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

H-Man wrote:At the same time, I've seen fans (both on and off the forum) that didn't care for this movie, complaining that the acting, story and writing was substandard, yadda yadda yadda, and that the monster sequences didn't/can't/won't make up for those shortcomings. And among those detractors, there are those I know who will unironically defend another Godzilla movie in which a race of subterranean beach bums, who have engineered their own sun and can communicate with other nebulas, have to steal a robot from a Japanese scientist because their pet monster is too stupid to find its way to Tokyo...a city in a country that isn't even the cause of their natural disasters! I honestly get completely befuddled by fans who do this.
Well for one thing Godzilla vs. Megalon wasn't made on a budget of $170 million, most of which apparently went to dark and obscure special effects shots...

I'm a fan of Megalon and the other cheesy Godzilla movies like it. I'm not afraid to admit it's a poorly made film that was totally a product of its time (as is KOTM). In other words, I can admit it's a bad movie (another 4/10, as I gave KOTM) but I still enjoy it. But the poor plotting and lackluster directing aren't the only problems both films have. I can appreciate Megalon because it's trying to ape the style of '70s tokusatsu television that I also enjoy; I have no love for KOTM's obsession with modern blockbuster tropes like the characters that spout unnecessary sexual innuendos for a cheap laugh (no one in my theater laughed at any of these) or the everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink approach or even its butt ugly teal and orange color palette. That's personal preference, of course. For me, that's why KOTM is an objective 4/10 that I'd rank even lower subjectively, while the 4/10 Megalon is a movie I enjoy.

Furthermore, I think there are fans of this movie in particular who are blind to its problems because "Rodan looked cool" or "they used Godzilla's theme" or
Spoiler:
"Burning Godzilla!"
or whatever else. It's great that people like that stuff and I'm not going to criticize anyone who liked this movie for those reasons. But for me, even though I enjoyed some of that stuff, I can't look past how objectively bad it is. And my point here is, that unlike other bad Godzilla movies, there's not enough here that I liked that will elevate it over what I didn't.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Personally I'm baffled by how many people, both those that loved the movie and those that hated it, think it had bad writing, acting, and characterization, when in fact all of those things were handheld extremely well.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Ivo-goji wrote:Personally I'm baffled by how many people, both those that loved the movie and those that hated it, think it had bad writing, acting, and characterization, when in fact all of those things were handheld extremely well.
Acting (especially compared to the super bland duo of Ford and Tom Hiddleston's character) and characterization (especially characterization of Kaiju) were top notch IMO, but I can see how some people might think the writing sucks with the quips n stuff. (I liked most of the writing though though, the only quip I hate is OMGZilla, the only badly written character to me is Emma and the Oxygen Destroyer was the only example of truly bad writing)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Agree about the bad attempts at humor, completely disagree about Emma. She's the best human antagonist the franchise has had since Katagiri.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.