Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by GuardianGhido »

Dv-218 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Listen, when we have critics claiming Godzilla is a Reptar ripoff, being upset that there weren't any Stranger Things references, and claiming Godzilla wasn't in the movie at all, we can be sure that critics live in their own weird bubbles that get them that blue checkmark on twitter
The weirdest one I saw claimed that Ghidorah was transexual and a reference to the big green monster because...Boston? Good lord the sheer ignorance of some of those critics is dumbfounding. It's fine if you didn't like the movie for one reason or another, but for skreeonk's sake do some basic research :lol:
...WHAT?! GHIDORAH'S A WHAT?! :freak:
I don't even want to know what inhuman thoughts these Shin-Godzilla-Tail-Humans have in their heads! :freak: :freak: :freak:
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Dv-218 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Listen, when we have critics claiming Godzilla is a Reptar ripoff, being upset that there weren't any Stranger Things references, and claiming Godzilla wasn't in the movie at all, we can be sure that critics live in their own weird bubbles that get them that blue checkmark on twitter
The weirdest one I saw claimed that Ghidorah was transexual and a reference to the big green monster because...Boston? Good lord the sheer ignorance of some of those critics is dumbfounding. It's fine if you didn't like the movie for one reason or another, but for skreeonk's sake do some basic research :lol:
Is that from an actual professional critic or a Youtube reviewer?

Added in 1 minute 40 seconds:
Dv-218 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:"he explained those opinions in a completely reasonable way"

PFFFT HAHAHA

The dude had so many blatant innacuraces and falsifications it's clear he didn't even bother to watch the movie.
Hence why I said I greatly disagree with said opinions, obviously. Never said he's correct or that he has valid reasons,
That's the same thing my man. So which is it?
Last edited by Hokmuto on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The King

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Pretty sure Ebert just hated the genre in general.

Like his bizarre hatred against video games and people that played them.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Hokmuto wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Is that from an actual professional critic or a Youtube reviewer?

Added in 1 minute 40 seconds:
Dv-218 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:"he explained those opinions in a completely reasonable way"

PFFFT HAHAHA

The dude had so many blatant innacuraces and falsifications it's clear he didn't even bother to watch the movie.
Hence why I said I greatly disagree with said opinions, obviously. Never said he's correct or that he has valid reasons,
That's the same thing my man. So which is it?
Eh not really? I was referring to the fact that his review was written in a fine and clear way, and did not involve any infantile rants. Like I said, I don't agree with him but his absurd opinions are fun to listen too because they don't sound like those of an angry kid on a tantrum.

And that was a review from a supposedly professional critic on RT, unfortunately :lol:

Anyways, back on topic.

[
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Dv-218 wrote:
And that was a review from a supposedly professional critic on RT, unfortunately :lol
[
God help us all...
Long Live The King

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Hokmuto wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
And that was a review from a supposedly professional critic on RT, unfortunately :lol
[
God help us all...
I mean, atleast this is not as bad as that one dude who thought this would be related to Stranger Things and that Godzilla was a Reptrar ripoff. Like, what the hell? :lol:

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Dv-218 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
[
God help us all...
I mean, atleast this is not as bad as that one dude who thought this would be related to Stranger Things and that Godzilla was a Reptrar ripoff. Like, what the hell? :lol:
those were actually two seperate people

But yeah, it makes me wonder what the credentials are for being a critic, especially how little a lot of these people seem to know about the movies they watch, do you just have to watch a lot of movies? I wish I could get paid to post my opinion about movies on the internet.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
...WHAT?! GHIDORAH'S A WHAT?! :freak:
I don't even want to know what inhuman thoughts these Shin-Godzilla-Tail-Humans have in their heads! :freak: :freak: :freak:
Huh. I somehow missed that review.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Dv-218 wrote:
Definitely along the lines of the latter. He'd most likely rip the movie to tiny shreds until there is nothing left (judging by how he did to other Godzilla films, but even worse), but in a civilized and calm way where he would perfectly explain what he viewed as the movie's downsides, perhaps mention a few things he liked but in general just approach his negative criticism with honesty and humor.
Your description of "the latter" is exactly what I did in my own review. I even admitted to enjoying the godawful dialogue.

So I do agree with you: Ebert's review would have looked a lot like mine, and rightfully so.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

So compared to King of the Monsters. How better do you guys think this film will do now that Legendary is taking precautions like marketing?

Hopefully better. I ask for at least over 500 million.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So compared to King of the Monsters. How better do you guys think this film will do now that Legendary is taking precautions like marketing?

Yeah 500 plus should be a given unless Mulan blows all expectations outta the water like Aladdin did. There's still no way to predict how the film could possibly do, but a wild guess says around 527 million.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

GuardianGhido wrote:Yeah 500 plus should be a given unless Mulan blows all expectations outta the water like Aladdin did. There's still no way to predict how the film could possibly do, but a wild guess says around 527 million.
It wasn't just Aladdin though that made KotM underperform. The Endgame fatigue (Other movies suffered from this too not just Kotm), 5 year gap, marketing (Trailer being released almost by a year) and critic reviews played a part too. Otherwise if that wasn't the case you could say the same for Maleficent and Beauty and the Beast with G14 and K:SI which did decently (While also competing with X-Men: Days of the Future Past and Logan too).

Even then unless Mulan gets moved closer the advantage we'll have is this film being out two weeks before Mulan steps in.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

We made all these predictions and everything turned out to be wrong for KOTM. You guys throwing numbers out now, I feel it means nothing.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

GuardianGhido wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So compared to King of the Monsters. How better do you guys think this film will do now that Legendary is taking precautions like marketing?

Yeah 500 plus should be a given unless Mulan blows all expectations outta the water like Aladdin did. There's still no way to predict how the film could possibly do, but a wild guess says around 527 million.
We’ll see if it’s a given
Long Live The King

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I don't think a 5 year wait hurt KOTM that much as people still bring up 98 when ever a new Godzilla comes out. Endgame, Marketing and critics hurt this film the most.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

miguelnuva wrote:I don't think a 5 year wait hurt KOTM that much as people still bring up 98 when ever a new Godzilla comes out. Endgame, Marketing and critics hurt this film the most.
With two American Godzilla films out that aren't embarrassed to be Godzilla films, and a third one coming out, I'm kind of hoping the GA just forgets about G'98 after a while. I don't even hate the movie anymore, it's been 20+ years and it's no longer the only American Godzilla, I'm just sick and tired of hearing it brought up in reviews, interviews and normal conversations every time a new American Godzilla movie comes out.

It's like "hey maybe when Godzilla vs Kong comes out, instead of comparing it to the movie with Mathew Broderick for the millionth time we compare it to G2014, K:SI, and G:KOTM, the movies it has more relevance to because it's actually a sequel to those movies? Hello?"

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

miguelnuva wrote:I don't think a 5 year wait hurt KOTM that much as people still bring up 98 when ever a new Godzilla comes out. Endgame, Marketing and critics hurt this film the most.
I’m tellin’ yah, the fight scenes had a lot to do with it too.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Stump Feet wrote:
What was wrong with the fights?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

miguelnuva wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
Fascinating how the same people that get tired of the complaints being voiced are the same people who perpetually claim they are unaware of the complaints.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Stump Feet wrote: I’m tellin’ yah, the fight scenes had a lot to do with it too.
Fascinating how the same people that get tired of the complaints being voiced are the same people who perpetually claim they are unaware of the complaints.
I don't care about complaints or what someone else feels about the movie, I'm asking someone I've never talk to why they didn't like the fights. Maybe their reasoning is different from someone else's reason.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image