Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

Post by _JNavs_ »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Villain Godzilla, undoes everything we've seen from two movies and two graphic novels.
Again, that should be the big twist. Serizawa said in G14, "The arrogance of men is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around".

This has been coming since 2014.
You can't just go against everything we know about a character in a single movie, if it does happen, it should be over multiple movies. It shouldn't be 4 pieces of media of superhero Godzilla and then shift him to be the villain all of a sudden in the 5th.
G14 never stated he was a hero, just that he was a Force of Balance. G19 had him in a more heroic role, but again, he wasn't outright saving people on purpose, he had a goal to correct the natural order of things. If GvK introduces humanity as the enemy, Godzilla will not hesitate to react aggressively as he has in the past.

It's completely established in his character.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

_JNavs_ wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Again, that should be the big twist. Serizawa said in G14, "The arrogance of men is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around".

This has been coming since 2014.
You can't just go against everything we know about a character in a single movie, if it does happen, it should be over multiple movies. It shouldn't be 4 pieces of media of superhero Godzilla and then shift him to be the villain all of a sudden in the 5th.
G14 never stated he was a hero, just that he was a Force of Balance. G19 had him in a more heroic role, but again, he wasn't outright saving people on purpose, he had a goal to correct the natural order of things. If GvK introduces humanity as the enemy, Godzilla will not hesitate to react aggressively as he has in the past.

The end credits establish that he’s intentionally protecting cities from the other titans now, you can’t get more in your face superhero than that.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The end credit newspapers are so out of the way that any change in dynamic would only be noticed by those who care.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote: You can't just go against everything we know about a character in a single movie, if it does happen, it should be over multiple movies. It shouldn't be 4 pieces of media of superhero Godzilla and then shift him to be the villain all of a sudden in the 5th.

The end credits establish that he’s intentionally protecting cities from the other titans now, you can’t get more in your face superhero than that.
No. It establishes that Godzilla is protecting his territory from titans who are messing with the balance of the titan hierarchy. Not that he's protecting cities for mankind, like some may think.
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KingKong2005 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: G14 never stated he was a hero, just that he was a Force of Balance. G19 had him in a more heroic role, but again, he wasn't outright saving people on purpose, he had a goal to correct the natural order of things. If GvK introduces humanity as the enemy, Godzilla will not hesitate to react aggressively as he has in the past.

No. It establishes that Godzilla is protecting his territory from titans who are messing with the balance of the titan hierarchy. Not that he's protecting cities for mankind, like some may think.
This, it doesn't specify any protection of humanity.

You enter the Kings space unannounced you're getting gutted.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

A brief shot in the trailer makes me fear that the thrice-damned "Daddy issues" motivation is going to rear its ugly head here.

(Note: I don't follow the spoilers thread)

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

that it'll be more kong focused and feel like a kong movie and make godzilla feel like a side character, instead of a balance
Last edited by airforce111 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

It takes itself too seriously. But that doesn't seem to be an issue based on that trailer. To much Kyle Chandler, I don't mind him in other movies, but I couldn't stand his role in KoTM, and his line delivery so far doesn't seem to have improved (I blame the script more than him personally).
He Jock it Made of Steel

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

My problem with these films is just that there just hasn't been a good balance. I love this universe, but as someone who just enjoys films generally, it's hard for me to come out and say that these are all great. I thought 2014 was the move well put together of the previous four, but the Ford Brody was bland and boring while the focus of the film shifted to the Mutos. I thought Kong was fun, but it was a bit uneven. Is this Moby Dick, a commentary on soldiers feeling isolated and tired after a long war, or an adventure film through a fantastic island full of monsters? It just could have blended better. KOTM was a terribly written film, with big gigantic tentpole moments that really drew me in.

I'm not looking for it to be The Godfather. I just want a well balanced film, that's intriguing enough when the monsters aren't on the screen.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KingKaiju wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 pm Is this Moby Dick, a commentary on soldiers feeling isolated and tired after a long war, or an adventure film through a fantastic island full of monsters? It just could have blended better.
Why can't it be both?

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:42 pm
KingKaiju wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 pm Is this Moby Dick, a commentary on soldiers feeling isolated and tired after a long war, or an adventure film through a fantastic island full of monsters? It just could have blended better.
Why can't it be both?
Well that's my problem. I was into the idea of it being all of that. The problem was that it felt like multiple films. I just thought the overall tone was a bit messy. Not enough for me to not enjoy the film, but it did bug me.

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

Worst fear is if this doesn't do well and guts the MV as a whole. Next is the human drama. I fear the possibility with a kid being in the limelight that some of the characters might be irritating. Finally, and the most moot since a lot are beginning to think the opposite, is that Kong wins. Ordinarily that is not a problem but he already won the last. Supposing Godzilla wins this time and the score is equal I'd be more accepting of a Kong victory next time around. Trust me there will be a next time the question is just when.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Reposting from the main Godzilla vs Kong thread on my personal worries for the film.

1. That Godzilla's role and certain character's view development with him in the past films will get thrown out the window in favor to making Kong the big hero with making Godzilla just a baddie.

The Monsterverse has done a lot to establish Godzilla as this ancient protector of the planet with people like Serizawa trying to convince people that he's important to the planet and humanity's survival regardless of the fact that he doesn't ultimately care for humans nor hate them unless they do something that really makes him mad. I know that in KOTM in the end he's on humanity's side for now but I won't lie I fear that given how KOTM underperformed they may downplay Godzilla's importance in the universe to make Kong look good to appeal to general audiences more. So the idea of making him just a big bad for Kong would not only throw all of that out the window but it would also make Serizawa's sacrifice be for nothing and that Mark's development with coming to terms to making peace with Godzilla in KOTM would also be made pointless. I know that's highly unlikely given that both Mark and Madison exclaimed that Godzilla doesn't normally intentionally target humans and that something provoked him enough to do so. Not to mention that I doubt Toho would allow that especially if they want the Monsterverse to continue. Don't get me wrong I love how they're approaching Kong's story here but I don't want it to come at the expense of Godzilla's role in the Monsterverse as well. They're both important and needed protectors of our planet in the end.

2. That Kong dies in the film.

A lot of people are thinking that due to how they've shown Kong's part of the movie in the trailer it feels like he could die in the film which I'm not a fan of considering that there's a lot of potential to be had with seeing Kong be taken into different story directions. Such as how does he and the Iwi people cope with being in a new home after Skull Island gets messed up big time as it's implied for example. Kong has a chance to expand beyond just having remakes of the 33 movie so Legendary should take that chance after GvK. If he's to die it should later down the line where it would feel more natural.

If none of those happen in Godzilla vs Kong I'll be grateful and happy.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

KingKaiju wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:47 pm
Why can't it be both?
Well that's my problem. I was into the idea of it being all of that. The problem was that it felt like multiple films. I just thought the overall tone was a bit messy. Not enough for me to not enjoy the film, but it did bug me.
This is exactly my problem. I enjoyed Kong and King of the Monsters enough, once I accepted them for what they were and got over my initial disappointment. But I LOVED Godzilla 2014. Human drama wasn’t great, but it wasn’t annoying either. The film could’ve used a bit more of Godzilla, but with what we got, it left me wanting more. I loved the balance and loved where it was going. Sure, it wasn’t perfect, but an incredibly admirable effort. It felt like an actual film. Then the “Monsterverse” was announced and you could see the direction change completely. Just watch all the trailers in order. The tone is all over the fucking place. I’m excited for Godzilla vs. Kong as much as the next person, but I just can’t help but feel these movies were missed opportunities.

The fucking hip hop music in these trailers. Jesus fucking Christ...

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Godzilla losing is my only fear right now. My other worry of Godzilla being a bad guy for no reason is gone due to the trailer confirming something is definitely wrong with him
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

Your Boy Leroy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:08 pm
KingKaiju wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:47 pm

Why can't it be both?
This is exactly my problem. I enjoyed Kong and King of the Monsters enough, once I accepted them for what they were and got over my initial disappointment. But I LOVED Godzilla 2014. Human drama wasn’t great, but it wasn’t annoying either. The film could’ve used a bit more of Godzilla, but with what we got, it left me wanting more. I loved the balance and loved where it was going. Sure, it wasn’t perfect, but an incredibly admirable effort. It felt like an actual film. Then the “Monsterverse” was announced and you could see the direction change completely. Just watch all the trailers in order. The tone is all over the skreeonking place. I’m excited for Godzilla vs. Kong as much as the next person, but I just can’t help but feel these movies were missed opportunities.

The skreeonking hip hop music in these trailers. Jesus skreeonking Christ...
This. I don't hate the MV. Farm from it actually, but I can't help but wonder if we would have gotten better movies if all of the focus and investment went into the individual monsters without having to worry about everything lining up for GvK.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

The shots of the boat fight from the trailer look fantastic, but the shots from the Hong Kong battle have me worried. The last shot in particular, where Kong runs and jumps in the air with the axe. The axe shot itself is great, but the lead-up to it looks like a fucking video game, with the way Kong moves and the camera work. It’s a quick shot, but it’s shots like those where the creatures have no weight and the camera just feels fake that really take me out of the film.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

I have a feeling this movie will have some scaling issues just like KotM. I love KotM, but the sizes are off in some shots. Namely when Ghidorah fights Rodan. Ghidorah looked so small; he was barely any larger than Rodan in that scene.

And in the GvK trailer, Godzilla looks a lot smaller than he does in the later shot when they're fighting in the city and Kong is blocking his breath with the axe. In the final part of the trailer, he looks much larger than Kong does

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

That this movie won’t be the end of the MonsterVerse.