Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

Post by BlankAccount »

Moogabunga wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I don't know, G14 felt pretty dang dark to me, at least in the final fight. Maybe it was just my experience. K:SI so far is the best in the fight department in the monsterverse. Great choreography, long uninterrupted fights without any cuts and intense fast movements without feeling unnatural with a good sense of scale too. I certainly hope we get more fights like that in GvK and future MV releases!
The fight in KSI is no where even close to as good as Godzilla's fight against the MUTOs..

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Living Corpse wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:I don't know, G14 felt pretty dang dark to me, at least in the final fight. Maybe it was just my experience. K:SI so far is the best in the fight department in the monsterverse. Great choreography, long uninterrupted fights without any cuts and intense fast movements without feeling unnatural with a good sense of scale too. I certainly hope we get more fights like that in GvK and future MV releases!
The fight in KSI is no where even close to as good as Godzilla's fight against the MUTOs..

Pretty much this. In my opinion G14's fight was a little too slow paced and while the cinematography was great, the choreography kinda felt boring until Godzilla broke out his Atomic Breath. KOTM had good choreography and cinematography but thanks to all the cutting away to humans and lack of proper wide shots it felt like we only got to see half of it. Oh and the Mexico underwater "fight" was just a mess.

K:SI on the other hand really skreeonking delivered on the Ramarak fight IMO. Great daytime visuals, intense fast paced brawling and awesome choreography with cool moves like the propeller attacks, Ramarak tossing Kong away like a ragdoll with its tail, the tree baseball bat, all of it was great. Plus the thing about it was that it focused on the actual monster fighting way more than the other two movies did and didn't cut away right in the middle of the action nearly as much. It's the definitive Monsterverse fight for me. You're not gonna change my mind.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Moogabunga wrote: The fight in KSI is no where even close to as good as Godzilla's fight against the MUTOs..

Pretty much this. In my opinion G14's fight was a little too slow paced and while the cinematography was great, the choreography kinda felt boring until Godzilla broke out his Atomic Breath. KOTM had good choreography and cinematography but thanks to all the cutting away to humans and lack of proper wide shots it felt like we only got to see half of it. Oh and the Mexico underwater "fight" was just a mess.

K:SI on the other hand really skreeonking delivered on the Ramarak fight IMO. Great daytime visuals, intense fast paced brawling and awesome choreography with cool moves like the propeller attacks, Ramarak tossing Kong away like a ragdoll with its tail, the tree baseball bat, all of it was great. Plus the thing about it was that it focused on the actual monster fighting way more than the other two movies did and didn't cut away right in the middle of the action nearly as much. It's the definitive Monsterverse fight for me. You're not gonna change my mind.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

tyrantgoji wrote: have you seen the Blu-Ray for G14? You can turn the brightness up 100% yet you still have trouble seeing!
It's a bad transfer, it looked a lot better in theaters and even in some promotional clips on Youtube (I've heard the 3D version has good brightness too). Turning up the brightness on something that was rendered with low brightness won't do anything but make it look even more washed out.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Moogabunga wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw
Or maybe it's just opinions dude,that's how they work :shrug:
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

The way I felt, San Francisco is still the best structured fight scene to date in the MonsterVerse. Everything felt more satisfying from the heavier feel and dire stakes of it all, a lot was played for more “drama” :shrug:

KSI was just Kong trading blows with the other monster the whole time, it’s a great action piece but that’s all it is, the emotion is sucked dry.

GKOTM plays on the “epicness” and throws way too much at you, we’re told at the very beginning of it all that Godzilla’s about to go “thermonuclear” and they do nothing to show it, we then jump between Millie and Mark/Emma’s subplot for an absurdly long amount of time interwoven between every other shot of the monsters (who are just standing still looking menacingly waiting for the other monster to hit it, save for Mothra and Rodan who are speedballing the entire time) it’s just an overload, there’s too much going on to care about anything but the battle, not to mention every big dramatic scene like Godzilla going limp, hitting the ground from the sky drop, Godzilla laying there injured, Madison waking up, or Mothra’s death has absolutely no room to breathe because it plays out for half a second to show the next part of the battle.

I can see why any one of these battles could be your favorite but this is just how I see them.

God only knows how the next one will play out cause they’re getting worst and worst.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:44 am, edited 8 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Stump Feet wrote:The way I felt, San Francisco is still the best structured fight scene to date in the MonsterVerse. Everything felt more satisfying from the heavier feel and dire stakes of it all, a lot was played for more “drama”. :shrug:

KSI was just Kong trading blows wither monster the whole time, it’s agreat action piece but that’s all there is, the emotion is sucked dry.

GKOTM plays on the “epicness” and throws way too much at you, we’re told at the very beginning of it all that he’s about to go “thermonuclear” and don’t do anything to show it, we then jump between Millie’s subplot and Mark/Emma’s for an absurdly long amount of time woven between every other shot of the monsters (who are just standing still looking menacingly waiting for the other monster to hit it) save for Mothra and Rodan who are speedballing the entire time- it’s just an overload, there’s too much going on to care about anything but the battle, not to mention every big dramatic scene like Godzilla going limp, hitting the ground from the sky drop, or Godzilla laying there hurt has absolutely no room the breathe cause it plays for half a second.

I can see why any one of these battles could be your favorite but this is just how I see them.
That's a fair assessment of all of them, honestly :thumbsup:

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Stomp. I find myself agreeing with many of your posts but I can’t for the life of me even remotely agree with your KSI description?

“Just trading blows”

That’s like saying a professional wrestling match is just two dudes exchanging hits.

The KSI fight actually seemed to have a narrative. You could follow the action. See who was up, who was down. See personality come through in Kong. It had good choreography...kinetic action with fun move sets and a great sense of weight and scale. The camera also lingered on the monsters for long periods of time in comparison to the other two films. It didn’t cut away every two seconds.

So, my question to you is, are you a Kong fan in general? Because if you’re not, and have no emotional investment in the character I could understand why it would seem so empty to you.

But I agree with your assessments on the other two films. For whatever that’s worth

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

king_ghidorah wrote: The KSI fight actually seemed to have a narrative. You could follow the action. See who was up, who was down. See personality come through in Kong. It had good choreography...kinetic action with fun move sets and a great sense of weight and scale. The camera also lingered on the monsters for long periods of time in comparison to the other two films. It didn’t cut away every two seconds.
This right here is why I consider the K:SI fight superior if nothing else.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

king_ghidorah wrote: The KSI fight actually seemed to have a narrative. You could follow the action. See who was up, who was down. See personality come through in Kong. It had good choreography...kinetic action with fun move sets and a great sense of weight and scale. The camera also lingered on the monsters for long periods of time in comparison to the other two films. It didn’t cut away every two seconds.
Yeah, like I said, one big well done action piece, it’s that and nothing more, there’s no drama, just a fight scene.

Look at that in contrast to G14’s battle, the monsters aren’t going shot for shot, one gets the upper hand and starts mauling the other until the other gets a lucky break and begins mauling back, in the meantime you have Ford working hard to kill the babies, the MUTO’s reaction to that, and then Ford and Godzilla's parallels trying to survive to carry on the fight before they both just stop moving- to stop moving is to lose the battle- it’s just the better structured conflict imo.

So, my question to you is, are you a Kong fan in general? Because if you’re not, and have no emotional investment in the character I could understand why it would seem so empty to you
Huh? Absolutely. I was a fan of Kong before I was Godzilla.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Guess this will be the one area we disagree on.

It’s just an odd complaint. I’ve seen people state that the only redeeming thing about KSI is that final action scene.

G 14....has more narrative than the GKOTM fights, but it’s also kind of boring at times. It’s slow moving. Just a lot of shoving. But the monsters certainly have more weight and mass than in GKOTM

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

GuardianGhido wrote:Hopefully though, this time they'll get the fights done better than G14 or KOTM. Don't have the fights in complete pitch black darkness like 14 or storms like KOTM (shouldn't be a problem since Ghiddy ain't around). And PLEASE don't cut away from the fight entirely like 14 or cut to foreground humans like KOTM! LET US SEE THE MAIN EVENT
You won't have to worry about cutaways given Edwards ain't directing... :lol:

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I'm not worried about anything really, mainly just the cast being a bore to watch because all the new cast members aren't that great to me. None of them potentially interest me and I doubt any of them will bring anything worth of interest or compelling... I just hope there tolerable enough to keep the film going.

Am I the only one that think's the Monsterverse films would greatly benefit from being shorter? KOTM shouldn't have been 2 hours an 15 minutes... Godzilla 2014 shouldn't have been 2 hours.

You could easily remove 30/40 minutes from each. Even some of the better Toho films are 80 to 90 minutes. That's just a personal opinion though.
I hope Godzilla vs Kong is an 1 hour an 45 minutes but unlikely just hope it isn't over 2 hours....

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

If we could marry that sort of G14 mass and gravitas with the more tooth and claw action, that'd be a bit of an improvement. But as others have said, them being afraid to show more than 5 seconds of monster action at a time is more than irritating. Neither Godzilla film got a handle on the proper ratio and I can't for the life of me understand how they went from the drawing board to the final wrap thinking that it's a great idea to always cut and obscure what you're seeing. I mean, Rodan's emergence from the volcano and jet chase was just about perfect. We could clearly see Rodan throughout the entire bit, we got several good perspective shots from the people in the jets to keep the scene grounded, Rodan got to show off, and we could actually see what was happening the entire time since there was sunlight! What happened?
XxComablack1937xX wrote:I'm not worried about anything really, mainly just the cast being a bore to watch because all the new cast members aren't that great to me. None of them potentially interest me and I doubt any of them will bring anything worth of interest or compelling... I just hope there tolerable enough to keep the film going.

Am I the only one that think's the Monsterverse films would greatly benefit from being shorter? KOTM shouldn't have been 2 hours an 15 minutes... Godzilla 2014 shouldn't have been 2 hours.

You could easily remove 30/40 minutes from each. Even some of the better Toho films are 80 to 90 minutes. That's just a personal opinion though.
I hope Godzilla vs Kong is an 1 hour an 45 minutes but unlikely just hope it isn't over 2 hours....
Thanks for bringing this up. Is anyone else still a little peeved that they wasted Samuel L. Jackson and John Goodman in Skull Island? The best actors they've had in this universe by a few miles and they kill them off. And even if they didn't, that film was set in the 70s so there's no way we'd ever see them again if they had survived. Hiddleston too. Most of the actors and actresses they've had for the films have been meh, but seriously. Having engaging actors and actresses are paramount to execute a script and they can elevate a mediocre script or dig a deeper hole, depending. Hopefully they're doing better here.
Last edited by BioDestroyer on Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Hopefully though, this time they'll get the fights done better than G14 or KOTM. Don't have the fights in complete pitch black darkness like 14 or storms like KOTM (shouldn't be a problem since Ghiddy ain't around). And PLEASE don't cut away from the fight entirely like 14 or cut to foreground humans like KOTM! LET US SEE THE MAIN EVENT
You won't have to worry about cutaways given Edwards ain't directing... :lol:
Dougherty cut away like 10 times per battle too. The fights themselves were mind blowing but it feels like we got to see very little of them and just had to focus on the humans on the ground or in the Argo.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Gotta love the hypocrisy of praising KOTM’s battles but still trashing G14’s, damn how that hypocrisy tastes salty.
Long Live The Sting

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

That we won't see Masers used. Seriously fuck that tease in KOTM, why bring in em and not use em?

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Living Corpse wrote:That we won't see Masers used. Seriously fuck that tease in KOTM, why bring in em and not use em?
FaN sErViCe
Long Live The Sting

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

GuardianGhido wrote:Dougherty cut away like 10 times per battle too. The fights themselves were mind blowing but it feels like we got to see very little of them and just had to focus on the humans on the ground or in the Argo.
Sure we weren't watching a different movie because I definitely didn't feel it tbh.
Stump Feet wrote:Gotta love the hypocrisy of praising KOTM’s battles but still trashing G14’s, damn how that hypocrisy tastes salty.
The only fights in G14 tho was the brief battle at the airport (Which was on TV), the brief door shutting scene and end of the movie.

KotM had way, way more.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Stump Feet wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:That we won't see Masers used. Seriously fuck that tease in KOTM, why bring in em and not use em?
FaN sErViCe
Fan service would be them being used. So, anti-fan service.