Radiation/Nuke Issues in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Radiation/Nuke Issues in the Monsterverse

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Well at the end of KOTM Boston is completely demolished...like completely donezo, like Final Wars level of leveled.
Didn't the film end right after Godzilla roared? Similar to Godzilla vs Destoroyah, Final Wars etc?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

_JNavs_ wrote: Same way G:Raids Again glossed over the destruction Anguirus and Godzilla caused, vs the nuclear holocaust themes of Gojira 54.

I don't think it's fair to criticize KOTM for being different when compared to the darker grittier "original" 2014 film.

As it happens in almost every era, minus Millennium.
99% sure Raids Again literally has a scene where the cast talks about the destruction at their totaled workplace and we see imagery of a burning Osaka with one of the female leads.

Besides, do you really wanna compare KOTM to Raids Again of all Godzilla movies lol
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Same way G:Raids Again glossed over the destruction Anguirus and Godzilla caused, vs the nuclear holocaust themes of Gojira 54.

I don't think it's fair to criticize KOTM for being different when compared to the darker grittier "original" 2014 film.

99% sure Raids Again literally has a scene where the cast talks about the destruction at their totaled workplace and we see imagery of a burning Osaka with one of the female leads.

Besides, do you really wanna compare KOTM to Raids Again of all Godzilla movies lol
No lol, but we have to understand that the second film of every era isn't going to double down on the exact same themes as the first.

Btw I'm pretty sure they showed not only a family in KOTM literally running through the chaos of Boston as the fights were happening but they also had a shot of a burning Washington D.C.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It`s not an issue of it completely dropping the themes or messages from the first film; its doing a complete and utter reversal. Of course a film`s sequel will be different. But they don`t shit on the previous films themes. Godzilla vs. Biollante takes place five years after Godzilla 84. It doesn`t talk too much about nukes, but it does stay fairly serious in regards to the biogenetics. In addition, the ANEB is introduced, which is another super weapon. And the Heisei series does a good job with keeping the nuclear themeing consistent.

None of those films actively shoot themselves in the foot either. The entire plot of this movie was how the environment and interesting biodiversity is being ruined by man, so nature must reclaim the earth, only to have mostly the same people, take a nuke and detonate it under the ocean.

GRA is a horrible film to compare KOTM to as well. GRA does it very poorly, but still then its more consistent then this. I didn`t even think of it that much, but Maddie`s plan is really fucking dumb; theres no real reason why she couldn`t have brought the orca to the military and have them use it on some remote island or on the coast. She essentially is just as much to blame for the destruction of Boston.

Ill say something massively controversial, but at least the Anime Trilogy, for all its faults, kept its themes very consistent.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:

No lol, but we have to understand that the second film of every era isn't going to double down on the exact same themes as the first.

Btw I'm pretty sure they showed not only a family in KOTM literally running through the chaos of Boston as the fights were happening but they also had a shot of a burning Washington D.C.
Burning Washington D.C. is something I don't think I saw even once. Unrealistically flooded and overblown stormy Washington D.C. is what I saw, though.

I don't think I even remember an evacuation plan in Boston, and I'm sure I saw lights in some of the buildings. Do I remember this wrong? Was there an explanation I missed? So, thousands of people probably died and no one bats an eye?
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Nah, they evacuate Boston beforehand so you don't have to worry about civilians. That's when Brown's character gets into the stadium
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nah, they evacuate Boston beforehand so you don't have to worry about civilians. That's when Brown's character gets into the stadium
Such breakneck speed on the pacing that I missed that, it seems.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:While the whole deal with radiation causing impossible explosions of new life like rainforests growing in the Sahara or an overnight rebounding of fish stocks is just plain bonkers, the idea of radiation as a point-blank destroyer of life isn't accurate, either. Chernobyl, for example, is known for having thriving wildlife populations, with the radiation having fairly limited health effects aside from some serious mutations early on.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... y-science/

So cities and areas that the kaiju clear of humans, even if they are irradiated, do seem likely to fill right up with healthy-ish plants and animals.
The new life isn't normal, it's probably not new but the opposite, ancient life that came from similar environments as the Titans, feeding off radiation like them. They probably have been sleeping much like them or in some cases dormant eggs.

After all these creatures don't just absorb radiation exclusively, they still eat food like normal life.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It`s worth noting though that even in the cases mentioned about the affect of radiation, nothing in the article indicates the Radiation was a good thing. The reason why the animals have returned, is that there are simply no humans to kill them off. This also started occuring way after the accident. Saying that radiation caused life is ridiculous.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'll be honest, the newspaper clippings at the end credits went by too fast. Did they say it was radiation bringing back plants? Or is it more like Biollante making pollen that made flowers in that one deleted scene? Cause I just took it as a easter egg referencing Biollante.

I'm not that bothered by it either way, you have to assume there were other life forms that lived in the same environment as the Titans and not all of them had to be giant monsters. I feel like this is more of saying nature finds a way, much as Dr. Malcom said in Jurassic Park. It's also possible these new forms of life are not natural and the Titans are mutating new forms of life never before seen, we've seen this done before in Godzilla films with the sea lice in G1984 and the wildlife in the Godzilla anime.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Your theory is possible, LC, but I don't think a revival of prehistoric life was the intent. The plants overgrowing San Francisco looked normal enough, and a standard, modern oarfish was used to demonstrate the recovery of ocean ecosystems. The movie was pretty straightforward and tell-don't-show-y in its delivery of information, so I feel like they would have been much more open about 300-million-year-old life suddenly swarming across the planet and (realistically, anyway) wreaking unholy havoc on already strained modern life. The terrorists' whole plan was based on the assumption that the Titans would restore modern ecosystems, not replace them.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:Burning Washington D.C. is something I don't think I saw even once. Unrealistically flooded and overblown stormy Washington D.C. is what I saw, though.

I don't think I even remember an evacuation plan in Boston, and I'm sure I saw lights in some of the buildings. Do I remember this wrong? Was there an explanation I missed? So, thousands of people probably died and no one bats an eye?
I don't remember for sure about an evac plan for Boston, but as far as D.C. they absolutely showed it burning. Not juat burning but as a fiery hellscape. It was even featured prominently in the second trailer.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Using the Showa Era Godzilla as a defense of this, is kind of misleading though. Post DAM, I’m pretty sure they completely drop any reference to Godzilla being a nuclear oriented creature; and this is again a symptom of generalizing showa Godzilla as one era, rather then desperate parts; even in SoG Godzilla was portrayed as a fearful nuclear monster.
I distinctly remember the scientist from vs Hedorah mentioning how Godzilla was born from atomic testing. Something along those lines.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:Burning Washington D.C. is something I don't think I saw even once. Unrealistically flooded and overblown stormy Washington D.C. is what I saw, though.

I don't remember for sure about an evac plan for Boston, but as far as D.C. they absolutely showed it burning. Not juat burning but as a fiery hellscape. It was even featured prominently in the second trailer.
I saw something much different in the second trailer and in the final film, then. I saw a massive storm over a flooded capital. Only a few flames were visible by comparison to everything else. More water, tornadoes, and lightning than flames.

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

I take issue with the way nukes are in the MonsterVerse as a whole.

Deathginger
Ronin

Post by Deathginger »

Yeah, it's like the history of nuclear testing has become completely uncoupled from the American Monsterverse, and that bugs me. There's a G2014 special feature called "Operation Lucky Dragon." Which doesn't mention anything about nuclear testing, or the contamination of the Lucky Dragon #5. Same thing when KOTH flies into Site 54, Castle Bravo. Castle Bravo, the tremendous testing error that was a worldwide disaster, contaminated the Luck Dragon... But no. apparently, this isn't the sort of thing we want to even remotely mention in an American film. But we'll annihilate an ancient civilization with a nuke to power up Godzilla.

I kind of get the path the franchise took to get to 'blow up a nuke to power Godzilla up. Once he's shown to consume radiation in Return of Godzilla, the card was on the table.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Deathginger wrote:Yeah, it's like the history of nuclear testing has become completely uncoupled from the American Monsterverse, and that bugs me. There's a G2014 special feature called "Operation Lucky Dragon." Which doesn't mention anything about nuclear testing, or the contamination of the Lucky Dragon #5. Same thing when KOTH flies into Site 54, Castle Bravo. Castle Bravo, the tremendous testing error that was a worldwide disaster, contaminated the Luck Dragon... But no. apparently, this isn't the sort of thing we want to even remotely mention in an American film. But we'll annihilate an ancient civilization with a nuke to power up Godzilla.

I kind of get the path the franchise took to get to 'blow up a nuke to power Godzilla up. Once he's shown to consume radiation in Return of Godzilla, the card was on the table.
Whoa, It didn't even click to me that was what the in location name of the film is for a second. Really let that sit in,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Bravo

Even if it's not intentional or malicious, it shows how much thought it gave into stripping Godzilla of any symbolism and haphazardly using imagery because it looks or sounds cool. While not as bad, it's on the same path as naming something "Fat-Man" or "Hiroshima" in universe.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri May 15, 2020 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Yeah, even Godzilla vs Megalon treated the nuclear issue better than 2014 or KOTM. 2014 glossing over things like the aforementioned Lucky Dragon incident for the sake of 'lore' seemed kinda dirty back then, but the Castle Bravo bit in KOTM didn't really register until just now. I was too distracted by the casual use of nukes and superweapons that had ZERO NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES in a GODZILLA MOVIE lmao
Even Godzilla vs King Ghidorah used the idea of supercharging Godzilla with nuclear energy, but boy did that come back to bite those involved in the ass.
They didn't have to bend over backwards to have the nuclear revival of Godzilla have consequences either. His faux-burning power up could have burned him out by the end, leaving all these rampaging titans with no alpha.
That would have cast both the nuke AND the oxygen destroyer in a less casual light.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Plus in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah the idea that Shindo's company has their own nuclear sub is treated as very serious deal.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:Yeah, even Godzilla vs Megalon treated the nuclear issue better than 2014 or KOTM. 2014 glossing over things like the aforementioned Lucky Dragon incident for the sake of 'lore' seemed kinda dirty back then, but the Castle Bravo bit in KOTM didn't really register until just now. I was too distracted by the casual use of nukes and superweapons that had ZERO NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES in a GODZILLA MOVIE lmao
While the nukes used to revive Godzilla I cannot argue against, the OD absolutely DOES have a negative consequence in that it completely kills off the fishing industry Isla de Mara, forcing the residents, who RELY on said fishing to get by, to be desperate enough to find any other means of cash to get by, including selling the rotting head of Ghidorah to a eco-terrorist and his men. The movie also makes it plainly clear that, had the military not jumped the gun and dropped the OD ontop of Godzilla and Ghidorah's heads, the former would have killed the latter with ease thanks to ambushing him and dragging him underwater. Godzilla had the situation under control, and the military fucked it up with a weapon that just made everything else. Which kinda echoes back to Serizawa's reasoning for why he didn't want the OD to be in military hands in the original Gojira: They would have used it as a weapon of mass destruction, and made already bad situations worse.

Now, granted said scene is a post-credits scene, so YMMV on how much that weighs in....
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!