Radiation/Nuke Issues in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Radiation/Nuke Issues in the Monsterverse

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So, I remember around the time G14 came out, there were some mild controversies of how Americanized the idea was that the nuclear bomb testing was “excused” by the cover up in universe that it was weapons being used on Godzilla. Obviously, G14 and KOTM are American made films and subsequently are neutered down.

However, I’m wondering if anyone sort of takes issue with what KOTM did with radiation and nukes.

For example, the way that nukes are casually presented as something good to use to power up Godzilla (“Give us all the nukes you have”) seems very cavalier. Not once does anyone even remotely talk about how catastrophic in its own right detonating an undersea nuke like that in the hollow earth might be. If there was ever a time for a debate, or interesting one, that could’ve led to some interesting character development, then was the time. For all the supposed environmental messages, this seemed so overtly counter intuitive. Godzilla also eventually explodes with radiation in the climax (he’s going thermonuclear) and we can surmise that Boston (and the east coast) by proxy will now be a nuclear wasteland.

Likewise, I forget when it happens, but I remember that at a certain point, Dr. Russel makes a point about radiation somehow being good for the environment. She notes that “life follows radiation”, which is possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Radiation actively destroys life, and kills it. That’s why it’s so dangerous. The point she was trying to make, was that the Titans, by destroying cities and humans, allow areas to be reclaimed by nature instead of humanity. But that’s not radiation.

I can also buy Godzilla, Rodan and the other creatures being radioactive, but it was also very strange making Mothra also a nuclear beastie. Funnily enough, King Ghidorah doesn’t seem to have any relation to nuclear power, he’s electrical baby.

Contrast to how seriously radiation was treated in Shin. Same for things like 1984, or heck even 1998. I’m not saying the film is bad for this reason, and I’m not in the camp that Godzilla should always be a serious nuclear allegory, but I just find it all so jarring.

I’ll admit, as the only American, I could help but feel slightly awkward watching a lot of these supposed cavalier mentions with a Japanese audience.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Re: Radiation/Nuke Issues in the Monsterverse

Post by SG-17 »

Its implied that the type of radiation that is associated with the Titans is different from your standard gamma radiation. We see shots of SanFran and Las Vegas being overgrown with huge plants, plants that would never grow there with or without humans. We also see in the credits that a rainforest appeared in the Sahara (which in reality only became a desert in the last 15,000 years), and the Amazon was being restored.

Its not so much that these areas are being reclaimed by nature as we'd think, but rather the Titans are using their abilities to repair these areas.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

While the whole deal with radiation causing impossible explosions of new life like rainforests growing in the Sahara or an overnight rebounding of fish stocks is just plain bonkers, the idea of radiation as a point-blank destroyer of life isn't accurate, either. Chernobyl, for example, is known for having thriving wildlife populations, with the radiation having fairly limited health effects aside from some serious mutations early on.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... y-science/

So cities and areas that the kaiju clear of humans, even if they are irradiated, do seem likely to fill right up with healthy-ish plants and animals.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote:While the whole deal with radiation causing impossible explosions of new life like rainforests growing in the Sahara or an overnight rebounding of fish stocks is just plain bonkers, the idea of radiation as a point-blank destroyer of life isn't accurate, either. Chernobyl, for example, is known for having thriving wildlife populations, with the radiation having fairly limited health effects aside from some serious mutations early on.

[url][https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... ience//url]

So cities and areas that the kaiju clear of humans, even if they are irradiated, do seem likely to fill right up with healthy-ish plants and animals.
Hmm, well hey you learn some new things everyday! Okay that makes a little more sense then.

The dialogue of radiation brings life though is to riduclous to me tbh.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

SG-17 wrote:Its implied that the type of radiation that is associated with the Titans is different from your standard gamma radiation. We see shots of SanFran and Las Vegas being overgrown with huge plants, plants that would never grow there with or without humans. We also see in the credits that a rainforest appeared in the Sahara (which in reality only became a desert in the last 15,000 years), and the Amazon was being restored.

Its not so much that these areas are being reclaimed by nature as we'd think, but rather the Titans are using their abilities to repair these areas.
Radiation in our understanding also restores the ecosystem. Surprisingly, in places that have undergone nuclear radiation, there is a very rich fauna

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Yeah, I overall enjoy the movie but that was one aspect I really can't forgive.

I guess the one criticism I would have of this film is that the camp/outlandish aspects sort of overshadow the gravity. The same criticism can apply to how the Oxygen Destroyer is used.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: The dialogue of radiation brings life though is to riduclous to me tbh.
It's completely rediculous, lol. I've been watching Chernobyl on HBO, which has been fantastic, and it really brings you up close and personal to the devastation the radiation caused. The core of the reactor was so strong it would kill a person within minutes.. Was truly heartbreaking to see they had to send soldiers back into Chernobyl to shoot people's pets, and any other animals, because the radioactivity could spread to humans.

I do get why, from a storyline perspective, they made up these fake radiation molecules. Skull Island has to be explained somehow. But did it have to be radiation, specifically?

It is also true that areas uninhabitable for humans due to radiation experience bounce backs. That's because we humans are so destructive (which is why Emma wanted to kill us all, honestly can't blame her sometimes) to wildlife that our not being there, even with the radiation, makes it a net positive for animals. But it's certainly not because of any positive health effects of radiation.

Given Godzilla's Japanese origins, the radiation plot points are... something. This whole thing has gone full-blown Showa though, so..

Added in 5 minutes 31 seconds:
Gojira-Fan wrote:
I guess the one criticism I would have of this film is that the camp/outlandish aspects sort of overshadow the gravity. The same criticism can apply to how the Oxygen Destroyer is used.
The oxygen destroyer should never have been a thing in this movie in the first place. If they would have 1.) opened the movie with Rodan leveling the city and 2.) had Godzilla lose the first fight to Ghidorah (with Rodan's help), Godzilla could have been nuked back to life after sinking to the bottom of the ocean, no oxygen destroyer necessary. I definitely have a lot of editing ideas, lol.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

crockalley
Ronin

Post by crockalley »

Yes, I’m very uncomfortable with the casual use of nuclear weapons as a good-guy power-up. Like you say, they don’t all have to be nuclear allegories, but that is the root origin of the Godzilla franchise. It seems a bit of a betrayal to nonchalantly throw nuclear weapons and radiation around without touching on the horrors.

And I can’t believe they’re still doing the eco-terrorist bad guy trope in 2019. Like, that woman was right, humans are destroying the planet and it doesn’t look like we’re doing anything to change our ways.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

It's so irresponsible and poorly handled. Imagine if Honda saw this lol.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

It's my biggest problem with the two MV Godzilla films - just having a nuke and Godzilla in the same film does not equate a good, faithful message.

The Oxygen Destroyer is a big problem too, the fish it killed didn't even turn into skeletons or disintegrate. The name itself should raise some concerns, especially if the US military can create more and the fact that they launch it before they tell Monarch. Another example of tossing around a WMD like a frisbee.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:It's my biggest problem with the two MV Godzilla films - just having a nuke and Godzilla in the same film does not equate a good, faithful message.

The Oxygen Destroyer is a big problem too, the fish it killed didn't even turn into skeletons or disintegrate. The name itself should raise some concerns, especially if the US military can create more and the fact that they launch it before they tell Monarch. Another example of tossing around a WMD like a frisbee.
1954 has the unintential Oppenheimer vibes with the Oxygen Destroyer and it plays into the themes of the film, meanwhile in KOTM it's just a literal plot device so that Serizawa could help save the world.... with a nuke
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:It's my biggest problem with the two MV Godzilla films - just having a nuke and Godzilla in the same film does not equate a good, faithful message.

1954 has the unintential Oppenheimer vibes with the Oxygen Destroyer and it plays into the themes of the film, meanwhile in KOTM it's just a literal plot device so that Serizawa could help save the world.... with a nuke
Bugs me even more that in the original Serizawa's biggest fear was the OD being a weapon of war...... and here we are with it in a missle.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

I think the script writer read Planet Hulk one too many times.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Monster X wrote:I think the script writer read Planet Hulk one too many times.
The Monsterverse definitely has comparisons to American sci-fi/comic book portrayals of nuclear energy.

Of course, it should be noted that in the senator meeting, Serizawa characterizes nuclear testing as something to look down upon.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

it's no different to later showa films. The moment godzilla, the ghost of the nuclear horror, becomes a hero, most other things are fair game. Including what they do in this film

what IS bad is the OD has no set up whatsoever... and you can cut it out of the film entirely without the slightest effect BUT make the film more linear.
Last edited by Omegamorph on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Using the Showa Era Godzilla as a defense of this, is kind of misleading though. Post DAM, I’m pretty sure they completely drop any reference to Godzilla being a nuclear oriented creature; and this is again a symptom of generalizing showa Godzilla as one era, rather then desperate parts; even in SoG Godzilla was portrayed as a fearful nuclear monster.

The idea that Godzilla going thermonuclear in Boston is absolutely astounding; note how in the Heisei Era, Meltdown Godzilla (the easiest comparison) was treated as an end of the world disaster, and it was explicitly mentioned at the end that had it not been for Junior the Tokyo area would be completely uninhabitable.
To G14’s credit, they took the subject fairly seriously; with the opening Janjira nuclear disaster, and it’s Chernobyl imagery. Same thing with the idea of cavelier usage of nukes, it’s what winds up destroying SF.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Well at the end of KOTM Boston is completely demolished...like completely donezo, like Final Wars level of leveled.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote:Well at the end of KOTM Boston is completely demolished...like completely donezo, like Final Wars level of leveled.
And the film basically decides to gloss over it, vs G14 using 9/11-esque imagery to reinforce how destroyed the area was
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Well at the end of KOTM Boston is completely demolished...like completely donezo, like Final Wars level of leveled.
And the film basically decides to gloss over it, vs G14 using 9/11-esque imagery to reinforce how destroyed the area was
Same way G:Raids Again glossed over the destruction Anguirus and Godzilla caused, vs the nuclear holocaust themes of Gojira 54.

I don't think it's fair to criticize KOTM for being different when compared to the darker grittier "original" 2014 film.

As it happens in almost every era, minus Millennium.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »