Best Scene in KOTM

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What was the best scene in Godzilla: King of The Monsters?

Intro (2014 flashback)
No votes
Larval Mothra Awakens
No votes
Godzilla's Intimdation Display
No votes
Ghidorah's Resurgence
1%
Godzilla vs. Ghidorah 1
4%
Humanity is the Infection speech
1%
Rodan Rising/Fight with the jets
19%
Godzilla vs. Ghidorah 2 (Oxygen Destroyer)
No votes
Long Live The King 1 (Titans awaken)
3%
Imago Mothra awakens
6%
The Hollow Earth
No votes
Serizawa's Sacrifice
21%
Godzilla revived
1%
Godzilla vs Ghidorah 3/Rodan vs. Mothra
16%
Russel family reunited
No votes
Burning Godzilla vs. Ghidorah
16%
Long Live the King 2
10%
Other (please explain in comments)
1%

Total votes: 70

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Best Scene in KOTM

Post by Godzillander »

What are your guys' thoughts on the most epic or emotional scene in the new film?
"Sometimes I think this is Godzilla's world. We just live in it."
:godzilla:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Best Scene in KOTM

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The credits montage with that Blue Oyster Cult cover was pretty decent
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The crowning sequence at the end is one of the most well deserved, earned, respectable moments in the ENTIRE franchise.

It WILL be iconic in Godzilla's history, as we can now say going forward that Godzilla has been officially, on film, been crowned his infamous namesake as The King of the Monsters.

It wasn't "fast paced, shoddy camera angled" it was a perfectly balanced moment, that will live on. That perfect Godzilla roar with all the Kaiju beneath him is burned into my brain forever.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Surprisingly, I thought the scene of Ghidorah picking Godzilla up and dropping him from the clouds was the best. CGI looked better than most of the movie, the clouds looked very cool, and it was something we hadn't really seen before in that way. So, that was cool and stood out from the "meh" that dominated the rest of the movie.

The bowing scene was pretty cool too, despite some horrible CGI on the Muto there.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Surprisingly, I thought the scene of Ghidorah picking Godzilla up and dropping him from the clouds was the best. CGI looked better than most of the movie, the clouds looked very cool, and it was something we hadn't really seen before in that way.
This stood out for me as well, followed by the very, very brief moment that Godzilla and Mothra tag teamed King Ghidorah before Rodan showed up.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I loved the Fire Godzilla scene, especially how the nuclear pulses took the shape of Mothra and had her chirp. I love that kind of stuff.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

SG-17 wrote:I loved the Fire Godzilla scene, especially how the nuclear pulses took the shape of Mothra and had her chirp. I love that kind of stuff.
I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me. Such an incomprehensible scene and the explosion was utterly underwhelming. If that was really what a thermonuclear blast looked like, people would sleep much easier.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

BARAGONBREH wrote: If that was really what a thermonuclear blast looked like, people would sleep much easier.
I assumed Mothra prevented the worst case scenario of Godzilla going off like a bomb and instead those were, as SG-17 mentioned, increasingly damaging nuclear pulses.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Really love that faraway shot of Godzilla pushing Ghidorah back with the atomic breath and Mothra suddenly diving from the clouds.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Arbok wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote: If that was really what a thermonuclear blast looked like, people would sleep much easier.
I assumed Mothra prevented the worst case scenario of Godzilla going off like a bomb and instead those were, as SG-17 mentioned, increasingly damaging nuclear pulses.
Oh, so the magic fairy dust did it - literally. Fair enough I suppose.

I thought Mothra was just powering him up since he was pretty injured at that point. I guess she did both?

The blame for any confusion about these scenes falls entirely on the direcor's assumption that we would all be watching the movie on Adderall.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Oh, so the magic fairy dust did it - literally. Fair enough I suppose.

I thought Mothra was just powering him up since he was pretty injured at that point. I guess she did both?
Mothra's sacrifice turned Ghidorah into a flying, gravity beam spewing King Ghidorah in 2001. Similar to this, Rodan's sacrifice super charged Godzilla in 1993. Neither went very explained.

That said, yes, probably would have been better if someone on the human side noticed a monitor and said Godzilla's radiation levels were coming under control or something to relate this.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

For me, I loved Serizawa in the temple and Godzilla's subsequent rebirth. The goodbye was heartfelt and I loved Godzilla rising from the sea coupled with the Ifukube score. A damn good scene.

Other stand out favorites for me were Rodan vs the jets and Mothra emerging from the cocoon as an adult. And of course Burning Godzilla (except I guess it's technically not and it's Fire Godzilla).
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Serizawa’s Goodbye was a very heartfelt moment, and I ADORE the Burning Godzilla barrage with how much raw power Godzilla was dishing out.

But man, Godzilla gaining his title as King of the Monsters was such a great moment. The music, the camera, the triumphant roar, it was perfect for me.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Serizawa's Sacrifice was the best scene in the entire film... Other scenes were cool and entertaining but that had the best music, atmosphere and heart felt moment. Especially when he looked at his watch then touched Godzilla and said Goodbye old friend and it blew.

Great moment, only followed by Godzilla slowly rising from the water. This is the scene I remember the most out of the entire film.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Not seeing Fatality as an option.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

_JNavs_ wrote:The crowning sequence at the end is one of the most well deserved, earned, respectable moments in the ENTIRE franchise.

It WILL be iconic in Godzilla's history, as we can now say going forward that Godzilla has been officially, on film, been crowned his infamous namesake as The King of the Monsters.

It wasn't "fast paced, shoddy camera angled" it was a perfectly balanced moment, that will live on. That perfect Godzilla roar with all the Kaiju beneath him is burned into my brain forever.
My only complaint about that scene was that I wish it was a bit longer

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Troyal1 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:The crowning sequence at the end is one of the most well deserved, earned, respectable moments in the ENTIRE franchise.

My only complaint about that scene was that I wish it was a bit longer
I loved the scene so I would've enjoyed a longer version, but I think it was pretty well paced. Godzilla looking at each kaiju like Optimus in TF2 when he says "I'll take you all on!", each kaiju bowing, the circular pan shot, followed by the greatest wallpaper shot of all time... I'm just so giddy about that scene.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Arbok wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Oh, so the magic fairy dust did it - literally. Fair enough I suppose.

Mothra's sacrifice turned Ghidorah into a flying, gravity beam spewing King Ghidorah in 2001. Similar to this, Rodan's sacrifice super charged Godzilla in 1993. Neither went very explained.

That said, yes, probably would have been better if someone on the human side noticed a monitor and said Godzilla's radiation levels were coming under control or something to relate this.
The 90's were full of things that went unexplained, but the movies had an entirely different feel to them for me. There wasn't much realism or true science in the Heisei films, unlike much of the MonsterVerse thus far. In 2001, it was already well established that spiritual and magical forces were at hand, seeing that Godzilla is possessed, and the rest are actual deities. The MonsterVerse just had giant prehistoric creatures that were worshipped as gods. Not exactly the same thing.

I don't know, I remember someone saying that this was the most unbelievable part of the film. Someone walked out at this part. I felt the same way. I said this multiple times on the General discussion Spoiler thread, but I really think this scene could have been handed more carefully and artfully than it was.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Can I say pretty much any scene that has a monster in it? While sure, this film did make me want to see more (specifically Ghidorah in DC) I thought each of the monster scenes had its own unique flair and importance.

The Mothra Larva scene introduces us to Mothra, but also provides some more smaller action of humans physically interacting with the monsters rather then the monsters just being gigantic. And yes, the scene with Maddie and Russel touching Mothra is genuinely heartwarming. It’s pretty unique, and it’s tense; especially when Jonah enters. I found actually the brief scenes of people firing guns at each other to be especially brutal, and well done. It’s a fantastic scene because we get multiple very important things established.

Next, Godzilla’s introduction is also fantastic. It’s really tense, and you can see an overwhelming sense of panic. Serizawa and Mark debating with the army people on what they should do is really chaotic, and I do like how that chaos is followed by mostly complete silence. The view of Godzilla approaching the base, with his fins sporadically going on and off, is really genuinely scary. It serves as a great introduction to Godzilla, showing that while yeah he’s the hero he’s not exactly a big nice guy. One thing that’s great, is that maybe 3/4ths through we get that scene of Godzilla staring down the people on the submarine, and it’s as equally scary and tense.

Later, man the Rodan sequence. A lot of people wish Rodan had more screen time, particularly in the final fight, but damn this scene was fantastic. The way it’s shot with Rodan emerging and flying over the village is fantastic. The scene with Rodan chasing after the Argo and Jets is legitimately tense.

In regards to all the Ghidorah fights, I think they’re all fantastic as well, and I’ll defend the brief underwater skirmish, as it really is only there to showcase Ghidorah can regenerate and provide a resurgence of Godzilla, and show that they’re active enemies. I think that the fight in Antarctica is a good first fight, with establishing much of Ghidorah, and that this all pays off in the big finale.

Crowning sequence while slightly cheesy, was likewise really well done. Rodan gets some brief characterization that actually makes up for some of his lesser screentime in the film. The way Godzilla is in the center at the end and roars, is fantastic, and the imagery of Godzilla surrounded by four other monsters, who in their own right are terrifying, with the backdrop of a completely leveled Boston is fantastic.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

Dang, that's a pretty hard choice. I'll vote Serizawa's sacrifice, but I'd also vote for any of the final battle scenes and the ending.