Positive things about the portrayal of monsters!

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Positive things about the portrayal of monsters!

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:>_>

<_<

There's actually a number of older films that I wouldn't hesitate to label as good movies, not just good Godzilla movies. Mothra, Mothra vs Godzilla, Frankenstein vs Baragon, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Monster Zero, Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante, GMK, LPG, and Shin all come to mind. And those are just the standouts.

But maybe I'm alone in this line of thought.
I agree with you on most of those movies, I'm just saying that in my opinion that almost all of the movies don't live up to the hype that the fandom produces for them.

To be abundantly clear, I still like and love these movies, Godzilla is one of my favorite characters ever. But at the same time, the last two live action movies the fandom hyped up to a degree which I think is obscene for them, and it ended up hampering my enjoyment of the movie immensely.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I loved the personification and personality that each of the kaiju had. Felt a lot like a Showa film.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SG-17 wrote:I loved the personification and personality that each of the kaiju had. Felt a lot like a Showa film.
1000% this.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote: Were there wolves in G14? I'd be game to see those Wolf titans from the Skull Island concept art, they were confirmed canon I believe in KOTM, so I'd love to see em in GvK.
Yeah, one's sniffing around the aftermath of the Muto's attack on the train and gets spooked just before Ford wakes up. I thought it was neat to see an animal going about its business in the aftermath of a kaiju attack.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Were there wolves in G14? I'd be game to see those Wolf titans from the Skull Island concept art, they were confirmed canon I believe in KOTM, so I'd love to see em in GvK.
Yeah, one's sniffing around the aftermath of the Muto's attack on the train and gets spooked just before Ford wakes up. I thought it was neat to see an animal going about its business in the aftermath of a kaiju attack.
Oh that's pretty cool! I'm rewatching G14 (for the 5th time lol) this Monday so I'll make sure to keep an eye out. Kinda adds onto the lore that the Titans rejuvenate the land they destroy

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Smuggers wrote: Yeah, one's sniffing around the aftermath of the Muto's attack on the train and gets spooked just before Ford wakes up. I thought it was neat to see an animal going about its business in the aftermath of a kaiju attack.
The dynamic going on with animals and the monsters in that film is pretty nice
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Smuggers wrote:
Vatarian wrote: Yeah, I’m desperate on an internet forum about men in rubber suits decking the poop out of oneanother. You’ve absolutely got me there. The vein in my forehead is straining and I’m moments away from a stroke.
As long as you're having fun. I know I am. :D
I mean. Kind of. I’ve never really been one for “hookers and blow”, personally, but I think, as analogies go, saying things on Toho Kingdom is roughly within the same fun camp as the relatively cheap lower echelons of “hookers and blow” at a really sleazy nightclub where you’re besties with like three of the strippers and two of the hookers.

It’s entertaining. You never quite know what you’re gonna get. Maybe you go just to gather info through gossip and insider chatter. Sometimes you go there just to piss off the other patrons. Maybe you go to chat with the dancers you’re friends with. Maybe you get an S.T.D. In TK’s case it’s, like, a spiritual S.T.D, but still.
Last edited by Vatarian on Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I loved how they take advantage of the CGI method, allowing the monsters to do things they couldn’t do as suits, puppets, and props. This potential first became apparent in 2014 when Godzilla bent at the waist in order to toss the Male MUTO with his mouth. Here, we see a lot more of it. Ghidorah’s heads moving with direct purpose and in unison, Rodan doing a barrel roll in midair, etc, all things that simply couldn’t have been done with wires.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LockBite wrote:I loved how they take advantage of the CGI method, allowing the monsters to do things they couldn’t do as suits, puppets, and props. This potential first became apparent in 2014 when Godzilla bent at the waist in order to toss the Male MUTO with his mouth. Here, we see a lot more of it. Ghidorah’s heads moving with direct purpose and in unison, Rodan doing a barrel roll in midair, etc, all things that simply couldn’t have been done with wires.
All the emotion in Godzilla's face throughout the film was great too.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

One thing to note is that this was an abnormally focused, sane rendition of Ghidorah. That's by no means a problem, of course. But it does sort of keep him from being truly definitive, and leaves the door wide open for a similarly spectacular take on the shrieking, spamming, chaotic lunatic that he was in the Showa days.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

All the monsters were great. I'm quite surprised to say that MV Ghidorah is the best version of the character to date in my view. This is coming from someone who's never really been impressed by him. Also once again, I'm glad that they had a new design for the Mothra's larva stage. I honestly got tired of looking at the well... turd look the previous ones had. But yeah, all in all the monsters were fantastic.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Godzilla's arrival in Antarctica was fantastic, but somehow I enjoyed it more in the HBO preview. I don't get it. Maybe, it was the background tracks. Something about the HBO preview had more weight and presence to it. The silence of it at Godzilla's arrival, the ice breaking under his massive feet, a feeling reminiscent of the airport scene in 2014, and the face off. The preview made me think that the tone was more akin to the previous movie. Bear McCreary's score was great, but it's the pacing of this movie and sound mixing that takes away from it. It was out of place, sort of. I still got excited for it.
Spoiler:
to be fair, I did have issues related to family before seeing this, so maybe I was in a negative frame of mind before seeing it. I should see it again. I really wanted to enjoy it.
I liked the Antarctica fight before Vivienne Graham died. That tore it apart for me. I was a little bit weirded out by the classic sound effects from Godzilla, too. I just think that the classic roars don't fit with the movie or his design. The original Legendary roars are tailored for him, and it commands presence like no other in theaters. Godzilla is larger than he was in the last movie, but he felt smaller because of the sound design.

Rodan was the highlight of the movie for me, despite the fact that we saw most of the sequence in the trailers, which disappointed me. There was so much done right with it. Rodan looked great, coming from the volcano. Unfortunately, the perspective shots didn't give him a true sense of scale. Either way, this was really the main scene where we got to see pure destruction of cities and panic from civilians. I wish it had been longer. We didn't get that anywhere else in the movie.

Ghidorah was amazing in his/their (there's three heads, is it his or their?) initial emergence from the ice. It really took away from his immediate threat to see the heads bickering with each other like the Three Stooges right after he took over the scene, however. I do enjoy the personality, but I don't know. I'm conflicted, because I see him as King Ghidorah. He is a grand, powerful, prideful, but chaotic force in my mind. I see the gold and think of something great and flawless. He was too direct with his movements and snake-like when moving. Well, it's alright.

Mothra was great for the time where she was on screen and alive (her death and Godzilla's power up were the lowest points for her). The hatching scene in the beginning was sort of like the male MUTO scene, and it was great. Mothra did some cool stuff in this movie, like holding her own again Rodan, which again, we didn't see enough of. The two of them were really good in this movie, but the least attended to.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Smuggers wrote:
That was a coyote
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

I love that Mothra manages to avoid killing anyone in her larval scene. Even stabs Rodan just enough to put him out of the fight.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

JAGzilla wrote:One thing to note is that this was an abnormally focused, sane rendition of Ghidorah. That's by no means a problem, of course. But it does sort of keep him from being truly definitive, and leaves the door wide open for a similarly spectacular take on the shrieking, spamming, chaotic lunatic that he was in the Showa days.
Spoiler:
perhaps, if the Monsterverse continues, the leftover head will be used to revive or clone King Ghidorah and it'll be a shrieking, spamming, chaotic lunatic due to it not being the original middle head? That might slightly undermine the ending of KotM but it's still a vague possibility.
Last edited by Huan_of_Valinor on Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: That was a coyote
Aw SHIT
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:One thing to note is that this was an abnormally focused, sane rendition of Ghidorah. That's by no means a problem, of course. But it does sort of keep him from being truly definitive, and leaves the door wide open for a similarly spectacular take on the shrieking, spamming, chaotic lunatic that he was in the Showa days.
Spoiler:
perhaps, if the Monsterverse continues, the leftover head will be used to revive or clone King Ghidorah and it'll be a shrieking, spamming, chaotic lunatic due to it not being the original middle head? That might slightly undermine the ending of KotM but it's still a vague possibility.

Yep, that's a definite possibility. I wouldn't want to see it, though. I feel like Ghidorah had his Monsterverse spotlight here, and it's time to give somebody else their shot. Let Toho pick Ghidorah back up in a decade or two.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I love that this King Ghidorah is the bad guy first and foremost, not Jonah Alan controlling him with mind control. I hate how often Ghidorah is mind controlled. I do love how each head is different. I kind of wish we saw Godzilla get to pat Mothra just once, just returning the affection since I love that moment where she weakly climbs up his back.