Is the Monsterverse going to remain "grounded"?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Is the Monsterverse going to remain "grounded"?

Post by Vakanai »

People keep poo-pooing various possible ideas and kaiju from appearing in the Monsterverse because they're less realistic or grounded, and they believe the MV is all about being realistic. But back when the MCU was still mostly a couple of Iron Man movies and an Incredible Hulk people said the same thing about that, and look how far out there the Marvel movies are now. We're only three movies in and we already have islands with permanent hurricanes hiding them, the hollow earth, and a three headed space dragon. Do people really think this film verse is going to stay grounded? What do you think?
Last edited by Vakanai on Wed May 29, 2019 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Re: Is the Monsterverse going to remain "grounded"?

Post by Olzh26 »

I just want to have at least one cinema universe about Godzilla, in which while watching you are not in danger of meeting with magic fairies and green people from space who want to take over the Earth

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

At this point I’m worried if the Monsterverse will remain period.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

We've got like one movie left and I'll be pretty happy with whatever it does.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

I look at “grounded” in terms of movies as being a movie that has a consistent tone and cinematography that remains for the most part realistic. I hate swooping CGI camera shots and the moment I see those types of shots in a movie I’m already like, “oh...it’s like that...”

I think any type of film genre can be grounded as long as the film respects itself enough. The worst thing a movie can do is to stop everything to tell a fucking stupid ass joke. Nothing screams, “hey, this is just a movie and we know you know that we know this is a movie!” more than that.

That being said, I kind of stopped counting on the Monsterverse being grounded with Kong: Skull Island. I still enjoyed the hell out of it, but to me it just doesn’t fit with G’14. I’m not saying that a movie has to be grim and dark and devoid of humor in order to be grounded. If humor and one-liners come from the characters in a natural way and without drawing too much attention to itself, then I’m all for it.

I would’ve loved to have seen the Monsterverse continue with th tone of G’14, but judging by Kong and, from what it looks like, King of the Monsters, I’ll have to adjust my expectations accordingly. But yeah, I’ll enjoy all of it regardless.

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

Honestly, with the concept of the Hollow Earth, Ghidorah (probably) being an alien and the concept of Skull Island’s florafauna, I think the MonsterVerse could (if done at an organic pace) easily slide into a more “up in the air” approach.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The Monsterverse should stay grounded. This universe isn't so much about realism as it is about the Natural Order.

So Hedorah, Biollante, even Gigan could work, then you have the 10s of Godzilla allies who could work.

but I'm not seeing SpaceGodzilla or any of the space alien humanoid gorillas who want to take over, or little magic fairies, or any of that nonsense.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Only if it stops at GvK.

Otherwise if they just stick to prehistoric leftovers its gonna get old and repetitive so better to slowly move away and more onto Sci-Fi and fantasy elements such as mysticalism and aliens. Especially given the trailers for KotM had shown ruins of an ancient civilization and lava pterosaurs. If that's not "grounded" I don't know what is then.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

MothraRocks wrote:Honestly, with the concept of the Hollow Earth, Ghidorah (probably) being an alien and the concept of Skull Island’s florafauna, I think the MonsterVerse could (if done at an organic pace) easily slide into a more “up in the air” approach.
I think these things still adhere to relative realism. and on the skull Island, animals are simply associated with plants by a symbiotic relationship. it's like saying that the Echeneidae is part of the shark's body

Master Doot
GPN Volunteer

Post by Master Doot »

I think it will remain grounded but give us “in-universe” rules that will allow for more expansive elements while retaining a realistic tone.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

I think it would benefit if it went more into the style of what Gareth Edwards was doing and mix some of the better things from Jordan Vogt Roberts and Mike Dougherty at this point I'm praying that Adam Wingard is the one that can pull it off
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

They should do what the Marvel Cinematic Universe does.

The Monsterverse can have all that crazy stuff like mecha, aliens, and etc, but they have to follow a set of rules/ in-universe logic/ develop it and don’t pull random tech/ magic out of their asses.

You can have varying director styles and new incarnations of the most outlandish Godzilla lore if you execute it right.
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Wed May 29, 2019 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:They should do what the Marvel Cinematic Universe does.

The Monsterverse can have all that crazy stuff like mecha, aliens, and etc, but they have to follow a set of rules/ in-universe logic/ develop it and don’t pull random tech/ magic out of their asses.

You can have varying director styles and new incarnations of the most outlandish Godzilla lore if you execute it right.
The MCU pulls stuff out of their ass all the time lol
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

If it actually goes past GvK then fuck it! Let's get crazy!
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Nope. It's already totally ungrounded.

By most accounts, KOTM did what TK fans wanted: it went all out with the looniness. "Go ahead, do it! Marvel did it, so can we!" they said.

The problem is that 1. Marvel is trash that nobody would watch if not for the recognizability of the brand, which is far and above beyond anything Godzilla/Toho will ever accomplish, and 2. the MCU didn't go straight from Iron Man 1 to Guardians of the Galaxy, which seems to be the kind of jump G14 to KOTM has taken. Multiple reviews have said this doesn't feel anything like the same Godzilla as G14 - and haven't been saying so as a compliment.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Wed May 29, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:They should do what the Marvel Cinematic Universe does.

Again only if it continues after GvK and doing it very slowly. Don't jump off the gun right away though.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Nope. It's already totally ungrounded.

By most accounts, KOTM did what TK fans wanted: it went all out with the looniness. "Go ahead, do it! Marvel did it, so can we!" they said.

The problem is that 1. Marvel is trash that nobody would watch if not for the recognizability of the brand, which is far and above beyond anything Godzilla/Toho will ever accomplish, and 2. the MCU didn't go straight from Iron Man 1 to Guardians of the Galaxy, which seems to be the kind of jump G14 to KOTM has taken. Multiple reviews have said this doesn't feel anything like the same Godzilla as G14 - and haven't been saying so as a compliment.
This was always my biggest worry.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

No.

Thank fuck.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Nope. It's already totally ungrounded.

Why is it that people can only seem to refer to Marvel films when it comes to altered tone and themes between sequels?

However I'll meet you on this. People seem to forget that with Phase 1 yes, we had the mostly serious Iron Man and the dark Incredible Hulk but this was the villain of Iron Man 2

And after that these guys

Dramatic jumps in tone and aesthetic have happened before. As long as they don't dramatically change course too seriously, deviations are more then acceptable as long as the end product is good which is the crux of story-telling and creativity. I mean come on, Kong Skull Island was already radically different from 2014 it's not like a change of tone was wholly unexpected
Last edited by ROMG4 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Really seems like we're getting either mechagodzilla or mech ghidorah (Mech King Ghidorilla! ?!?!? Kidding but not kidding) so I'm gonna say whatever groundedness we had is out the window. Heck, KOTM was already balls to the wall bonkers just from the plot alone.