Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Post by Spuro »

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/toronto.cit ... -fine/amp/

Toronto Sun has a pretty quick but fair review
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

NSZ wrote: In recent years, what has that site done other than shine a light on ridiculous (and sometimes infuriating) double-standards that critics occasionally bare? For example, the John Wick franchise. I LOVE that series, they're my most favorite action movies of all time, but once you get past all the neon and gun-play, the story isn't exactly the best. And yet those movies have consistently high percentages across the board.
I've noticed that too, and its weird to me.

ALOT of the complaints that critics are throwing at Godzilla: KOTM, I could easily throw at John Wick 3 too. I mean, I loved both JW3 and Godzilla, so I'm just a happy moviegoer, but it floors me that one movie gets away with it all, and the other doesn't.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Opening weekend will either prove or disprove them that being said I'm watching it again tomorrow
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

I'm done with Rotten Tomatoes. I had a stroke on New Year's eve and I was in the hospital for almost 2 months (I am only 23). I just want to see this movie because Godzilla is what got me into movies and I have a passion for film. I owe all the movies, binged them all in 2 weeks, and I love all them (even Revenge and 1998). I've been a die hard fan since I was 3 years old.

Some stupid reviewer it's not going to stop me from enjoying this movie. I loved venom, In that got shit on too. Honestly, all I'm saying is that we should just listen to our reviews and not payed critic who doesn't care about the series. We are fans, not some old New York critic that hates action and has a fetish for La La Land.

The only thing I'm worried about is the Box office. Hopefully it does well in that area... -_-

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:https://www.google.ca/amp/s/toronto.cit ... -fine/amp/

Toronto Sun has a pretty quick but fair review
That's a fairly well written and reasonable review, probably one of the better ones I read so far.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Rodan95 wrote:I'm done with Rotten Tomatoes. I had a stroke on New Year's eve and I was in the hospital for almost 2 months (I am only 23). I just want to see this movie because Godzilla is what got me into movies and I have a passion for film. I owe all the movies, binged them all in 2 weeks, and I love all them (even Revenge and 1998). I've been a die hard fan since I was 3 years old.

Some stupid reviewer it's not going to stop me from enjoying this movie. I loved venom, In that got poop on too. Honestly, all I'm saying is that we should just listen to our reviews and not payed critic who doesn't care about the series. We are fans, not some old New York critic that hates action and has a fetish for La La Land.

The only thing I'm worried about is the Box office. Hopefully it does well in that area... -_-
If people want to see monster fights than it should
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Rodan95 wrote:I'm done with Rotten Tomatoes. I had a stroke on New Year's eve and I was in the hospital for almost 2 months (I am only 23). I just want to see this movie because Godzilla is what got me into movies and I have a passion for film. I owe all the movies, binged them all in 2 weeks, and I love all them (even Revenge and 1998). I've been a die hard fan since I was 3 years old.

Some stupid reviewer it's not going to stop me from enjoying this movie. I loved venom, In that got shit on too. Honestly, all I'm saying is that we should just listen to our reviews and not payed critic who doesn't care about the series. We are fans, not some old New York critic that hates action and has a fetish for La La Land.

It's ironic that film critics act like all Godzilla films are trash but praise the films of people who saw Godzilla and/or King Kong as kids and it made them wanna grow up to make films in the first place.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Living Corpse wrote:

Some stupid reviewer it's not going to stop me from enjoying this movie. I loved venom, In that got poop on too. Honestly, all I'm saying is that we should just listen to our reviews and not payed critic who doesn't care about the series. We are fans, not some old New York critic that hates action and has a fetish for La La Land.

It's ironic that film critics act like all Godzilla films are trash but praise the films of people who saw Godzilla and/or King Kong as kids and it made them wanna grow up to make films in the first place.
That is so true it certainly inspired James Cameron seeing King Kong vs Godzilla

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

That is so true it certainly inspired James Cameron seeing King Kong vs Godzilla
Before he made the Jurassic Park movie (it was a novel after all) Steven Spielberg said Godzilla (1954) was the best dinosaur movie, and Brad Pitt at the Emmy Awards pretty much said War of the Gargantuas was the first film he saw as a kid, it might be one of the films that influenced him to become an actor. And Peter Jackson knew he wanted to make films when he saw the original King Kong.

Am I saying they should like these films? No, if's it's not their thing then it's not their thing. But they should respect them instead of looking down on them.

Because if Steven and Jackson never saw Godzilla or King Kong, we might not have Jaws, ET, Lord of the Rings, etc cause they might not have gotten into film.

EDIT: I wonder if any film maker was influenced or inspired by Gamera?
Last edited by BlankAccount on Wed May 29, 2019 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Maybe Guillermo Del Toro or Tim Burton if anybody they seem to like kaiju as a whole

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Before he made the Jurassic Park movie (it was a novel after all) Steven Spielberg said Godzilla (1954) was the best dinosaur movie, and Brad Pitt at the Emmy Awards pretty much said War of the Gargantuas was the first film he saw as a kid, it might be one of the films that influenced him to become an actor. And Peter Jackson knew he wanted to make films when he saw the original King Kong.

Am I saying they should like these films? No, if's it's not their thing then it's not their thing. But they should respect them instead of looking down on them.

Because if Steven and Jackson never saw Godzilla or King Kong, we might not have Jaws, ET, Lord of the Rings, etc cause they might not have gotten into film.

EDIT: I wonder if any film maker was influenced or inspired by Gamera?
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The critics who say it's cheesy and everything obviously know nothing about Japanese cinema. It's such bullsh*t . I like to see them try something :lol:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Rodan95 wrote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The critics who say it's cheesy and everything obviously know nothing about Japanese cinema. It's such bullsh*t . I like to see them try something :lol:
Well as another member said "most film critics are failed filmmakers." I put more stock in James Rolf than them, not because he's a G fan, but because he has actually made a few films as well as review them. He understands the struggles and hurdles that go into making just independent films, and seems to have a passion for films in general instead of being a grumpy old man being paid to piss people off with nonsensical reviews like "Top Gun had too much sky in it".

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Those of you who say we shouldn't put too much stock in what the critics say are probably right. They are not fans, they don't understand what makes the series great, many of their criticisms are unfair, etc. But it still hurts. I was really hoping this movie would give Godzilla as well as Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan some positive mainstream recognition. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the GA still puts stock in RT scores. Even though Venom's box office survived RT, the movie still has a pretty bad reputation in general.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

JesstrK wrote:Those of you who say we shouldn't put too much stock in what the critics say are probably right. They are not fans, they don't understand what makes the series great, many of their criticisms are unfair, etc. But it still hurts. I was really hoping this movie would give Godzilla as well as Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan some positive mainstream recognition. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the GA still puts stock in RT scores. Even though Venom's box office survived RT, the movie still has a pretty bad reputation in general.
As long as the main thing people are looking for in this movie are monster fights they'll be pleased

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

I wonder what Kevin Smith will say about the film, considering he's a filmmaker, but definitely fully enveloped in nerd/niche culture.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:I wonder what Kevin Smith will say about the film, considering he's a filmmaker, but definitely fully enveloped in nerd/niche culture.
Also wonder what Steven Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino, Brad Pitt, Guillermo del Toro, and Peter Jackson would think about it too.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I don't like to turn things into an "Us Vs. Them" fight. Politics, religion, video games, comics, movies and TV shows...it feels like everything turns into a gigantic group shouting match of South Park "Rabble Rabble Rabble" level proportions.

So I don't necessarily want to turn my nose at all critics, flip them off, or shout them down. They have a job. They get paid to give their thoughts and review movies, and their tastes might not be the same as mine. Sometimes I agree with the consensus (Planet of the Apes Caesar trilogy), sometimes I don't (Rambo 08).

They didn't like Godzilla? Hey that's fine. Doesn't change my opinion of the movie at all.

BUT, I am more than willing to politely response to the criticisms.

For example, the whole argument that the movie showcases the monsters and has weak characters...um...aren't the monsters characters in and of themselves? Maybe this comes with being fans of these creatures like we have been most of our lives, but I have a hard time saying that this film had weak characters when it gave me a hero that I loved (Godzilla), a villain that was legitimately intimidating and imposing (Ghidorah), and gave personalities to Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan. Just because they aren't human and they don't talk like we do doesn't mean they aren't characters in the story. Hell, I might like the Transformers movies more if they centered the stories on Optimus Prime instead of Shia LeBouf and Marky Mark.
Last edited by GojiDog on Wed May 29, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kill all white men.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

A little off topic, but isn't Peter Jackson not a fan of Godzilla in general? Atleast I remember him saying he views the original as an inferior movie to King Kong once.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed May 29, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Rodan95 wrote:
AtomicMorningBreath wrote:I wonder what Kevin Smith will say about the film, considering he's a filmmaker, but definitely fully enveloped in nerd/niche culture.
Also wonder what Steven Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino, Brad Pitt, Guillermo del Toro, and Peter Jackson would think about it too.
I enjoy listening to Kevin Smith' podcast, he's very entertaining. I want to know what he thinks since he is not an uninformed professional critic, and would be speaking from a filmmaker's perspective who understands niche genres. Not sure if the sarcastic response was justified.
Last edited by AtomicMorningBreath on Wed May 29, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

All this talk of what filmmakers think of Godzilla, that would be an awesome Blu-ray feature for this film.

Interviews with people like Speilberg, Lucas, Burton, Carpenter, Tarantino, and Scorsese (he wrote the forward to Honda's biography, so he's probably a fan too) all talking about how Godzilla inspired them.

Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.
Last edited by GojiDog on Wed May 29, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kill all white men.