Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
jrock
Samurai
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:14 am

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby jrock » Wed May 29, 2019 6:01 am

Metascore only has it has a 47 out of 23 reviews.

Rotten Tomatoes is at 52% with 52 reviews.

Imdb has it at 85% out of 38 reviews. LINK
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3741700/re ... ngFilter=0

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6743
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:02 am

Thunderbird wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:I have to admit it gets on my nerves that GKOTM's aggregate review score can be so easily ruined by a handful of fat girls and incels who have a grudge against the genre.


Why would anybody have a grudge against the genre?


One of the reviewers started out with an admission that monster films weren't her thing and that alone became the gist of her review.

The CNN review also had a heavy bias. Instead of viewing GKOTM on its own merits, the reviewer derided the series and its core elements and used it as fodder against the new film.


Not to mention the review that decided Gojira and even Watch's beloved Shin Godzilla were "schlock", and used that metric to decide their thoughts on this film.

Or the reviewer that went in expecting Stranger Things references and was upset because they got monster fights and a "Reptar Ripoff" instead.
Last edited by Kaiju-King42 on Wed May 29, 2019 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
JAGzilla wrote:Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

User avatar
Your Boy Leroy
GPN Volunteer
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Wed May 29, 2019 6:05 am

Of all the reviews I've watched and read since yesterday, about half were positive and half were negative (with two of which gushing about the film). The biggest thing I kept hearing from the positive video reviews I watched was that Godzilla fans will eat this up.

I try to stay away from movie reviews, since I'm pretty much of the opinion that film critics are failed filmmakers anyway, but I still can't help seeking them out and allowing them to unfortunately sway my judgement. That being said, I personally will be watching this movie in the following order:

1) Godzilla fan
2) Film fan
3) Filmmaker

I'm very cynical of these big-budget CGI blockbusters (I hate Marvel films, despite a majority of the general audience blowing their loads over them). With Godzilla though, I know I'll love this movie and watch it again and again, good or bad. This typically goes against my usual mentality when watching movies, particularly blockbusters. But that's just what Godzilla means to me.

User avatar
Dv-218
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2567
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Dv-218 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:06 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Why would anybody have a grudge against the genre?


One of the reviewers started out with an admission that monster films weren't her thing and that alone became the gist of her review.

The CNN review also had a heavy bias. Instead of viewing GKOTM on its own merits, the reviewer derided the series and its core elements and used it as fodder against the new film.


Not to mention the review that decided Gojira and even Watch's beloved Shin Godzilla were "schlock".


This is why I have a hard time taking most of those negative reviews seriously. While there are isolate reviews that point out perhaps valid issues like characterization and writing, most of them are just a bandwagon for trashing the franchise in general. The fact that the CNN "review" basically bashes the movie because it apperantely doesn't make fun of itself, takes it too seriously and respects the source material is proof.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed May 29, 2019 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

neo kaijubait
Samurai
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby neo kaijubait » Wed May 29, 2019 6:07 am

Here's Mr. H's take on the Rotten Tomatoes score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ0TKHvdCJo

User avatar
JesstrK
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby JesstrK » Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 am

Well this is depressing news to wake up to. I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless, but it's a letdown to hear this after all the hype and it may well hurt the box office. What's especially depressing is that, as mentioned above, many of the negative reviews are filled with bias but the GA will probably take them seriously.

User avatar
Desghidorah
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 am

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Desghidorah » Wed May 29, 2019 7:23 am

I've actually been monitoring this pretty closely and saving screen caps, and I actually have reason to believe the score is being edited. The number of reviews keeps going up and down and every time it goes down it is only positive reviews being removed. Every time the score increases in critic reviewing numbers, the percentage goes up because positive reviews actually do outnumber the negative. Either something is weird going on the site for someone is manipulating the score.
Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6994
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed May 29, 2019 7:32 am

Desghidorah wrote:I've actually been monitoring this pretty closely and saving screen caps, and I actually have reason to believe the score is being edited. The number of reviews keeps going up and down and every time it goes down it is only positive reviews being removed. Every time the score increases in critic reviewing numbers, the percentage goes up because positive reviews actually do outnumber the negative. Either something is weird going on the site for someone is manipulating the score.

Sounds like something RottenTomatoes would do. I really wish we'd get a different main platform to rely on.

Instead of hackers constantly hacking peoples consoles, they should be focusing on the real enemy... The Tomatoe...
Image
Sith Apprentice. The Tegu King. We Are Legion.

User avatar
JesstrK
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby JesstrK » Wed May 29, 2019 7:33 am

Desghidorah wrote:I've actually been monitoring this pretty closely and saving screen caps, and I actually have reason to believe the score is being edited. The number of reviews keeps going up and down and every time it goes down it is only positive reviews being removed. Every time the score increases in critic reviewing numbers, the percentage goes up because positive reviews actually do outnumber the negative. Either something is weird going on the site for someone is manipulating the score.

So kind of like how they were removing negative reviews for Captain Marvel only the opposite.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10909
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed May 29, 2019 7:34 am

JesstrK wrote:So kind of like how they were removing negative reviews for Captain Marvel only the opposite.

What I tell ya. Critics are obviously being paid! Especially so superhero films can continue to be successful without any direct competition! :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed May 29, 2019 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6994
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed May 29, 2019 7:39 am

JesstrK wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:I've actually been monitoring this pretty closely and saving screen caps, and I actually have reason to believe the score is being edited. The number of reviews keeps going up and down and every time it goes down it is only positive reviews being removed. Every time the score increases in critic reviewing numbers, the percentage goes up because positive reviews actually do outnumber the negative. Either something is weird going on the site for someone is manipulating the score.

So kind of like how they were removing negative reviews for Captain Marvel only the opposite.

That was the weirdest thing because they were removing the negative reviews and allowing constant positive spam of the same review over and over and over.
Image
Sith Apprentice. The Tegu King. We Are Legion.

User avatar
Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Ben Shapiro » Wed May 29, 2019 7:43 am

Any spoiler reviews out yet?
Facts don't care about your feelings

User avatar
Living Corpse
Sazer
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Living Corpse » Wed May 29, 2019 8:18 am

neo kaijubait wrote:* Notices that a lot of the negative reviews are from the UK.

* Finds a welcome exception to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cciGHikfmws


They're salty Gorgo never got a sequel. ;)
Image

User avatar
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: Painis Island

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Gawdziller1954 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 am

Stuckmann came out with his review on YT. Gave it a C-.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Image
Image

User avatar
NSZ
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4430
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Remnant

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby NSZ » Wed May 29, 2019 8:55 am

I'm sure my plea will fall on deaf ears and/or not be taken seriously, but I think people should just stop taking Rotten Tomatoes seriously going forward full stop.

In recent years, what has that site done other than shine a light on ridiculous (and sometimes infuriating) double-standards that critics occasionally bare? For example, the John Wick franchise. I LOVE that series, they're my most favorite action movies of all time, but once you get past all the neon and gun-play, the story isn't exactly the best. And yet those movies have consistently high percentages across the board.

And that's another thing. The percentage score. For all the talk and claims that people use the site incorrectly by focusing on the percentage score, even from the site itself, the site sure does seem to be encouraging that incorrect usage by putting the percentage score front and center while hiding the average score behind the click of a button that most folks aren't gonna bother with.

In the past, they've been given free passes for allowing contrarian reviews from Armond White, and allowing troll reviews made solely to reduce a movie's score, but it's clear that somewhere along the way the body has begun to rot.

In my mind, Rotten Tomatoes is a failed system. Is it silly that I decided that Godzilla of all things was the straw that broke the camel's back? Admittedly, yes (I do have some degree of self awareness, after all), but the buck has to stop somewhere.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."
Image

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1988
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Isla Nublar, 120 miles West of Costa Rica

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby gottatalktothefake » Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 am

Eh, we still have a majority
Legit, every KoTM hater I have ever seen on social media or interacted with are all the same. They are either these young kids to middle aged adults so detached from anything beyond the Japanese films that they can't enjoy anything that doesn't begin with one of the Toho logos. They're the type that would of had no issues with KoTM if it was a Japanese-made production and think films like Godzilla vs. Monster Zero are the pinnacle of human drama.
-MM

User avatar
Living Corpse
Sazer
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Living Corpse » Wed May 29, 2019 9:00 am

I'm gonna say this.

I feel like we have a Venom situation on our hands, in that critics will hate it but GA will see it and remember "hey, there were a bunch of films I disagreed with critics on in the past, and I disagree with them on this, it's not bad, I'm forming my own opinion."
Image

User avatar
LockBite
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby LockBite » Wed May 29, 2019 9:32 am

I’m holding my tongue to some degree regarding these critics, because I remember what happened around this time last year with Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. I knew the whole plot going into that movie, and it sounded great on paper. Then the negative reviews came out, and I completely disregarded them because the movie seemed like it would be great. It was not. But even then, few of the negative reviews captured what was actually wrong with that movie.

With Godzilla, I see a similar scenario rolling out. Negative complaints largely make little sense (lots of attacking the franchise, the concept, the “ridiculousness” and “stupidity” of the premise, all sorts of things I know I won’t have issues with), but for all I know, the movie might indeed turn out to be a massive disappointment.

Either way the movie turns out, I find most film critics routinely unreliable.
Last edited by LockBite on Wed May 29, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Sazer
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Living Corpse » Wed May 29, 2019 9:45 am

LockBite wrote:
Either way the movie turns out, I find most film critics routinely unreliable.


I have to wonder if being contrarian is mandatory for the job or that people who like being contrarian towards the GA take the job.
Image

User avatar
Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1732
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Gothicserpent » Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am

Down to 49%
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests