Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
KillCrites
Interpol Agent
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby KillCrites » Wed May 29, 2019 6:28 pm

I watched an ETN video one time and all I remember from it is him saying that KOTM COULD NOT have a dark ending because Mike Dougherty is a liberal.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:32 pm

KillCrites wrote:I watched an ETN video one time and all I remember from it is him saying that KOTM COULD NOT have a dark ending because Mike Dougherty is a liberal.


Image
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Isla Nublar, 120 miles West of Costa Rica

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby gottatalktothefake » Wed May 29, 2019 6:34 pm

KillCrites wrote:I watched an ETN video one time and all I remember from it is him saying that KOTM COULD NOT have a dark ending because Mike Dougherty is a liberal.

What the skreeonk

I can't believe I liked this guy 5 years ago.
"Next time it'll be flawless."

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Wed May 29, 2019 6:37 pm

The ReviewTechUSA of the kaiju fanbase...
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Smuggers » Wed May 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:The ReviewTechUSA of the kaiju fanbase...

Nobody can convince me that they're *not* the same guy. Some Les Enfants Terribles poop.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Kwaidan
Posts: 5846
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am
Location: AWACS Long Caster
Contact:

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:05 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Haven't watched this guy since back in 14'. When did he get that annoying "hot girl" intro anyways? Also, he gave a shoutout to Quartering, which is, well, yikes.


Who's Quartering and why is that a yikes? Some cringey alt-right channel?

Pretty much, some of what he says is true, such as RT making drastic changes to protect a single movie, and the fact that critics fluff their reviews depending on the studio. But he also pushes inane conspiracy theories such as "Disney is buying most of the tickets for Captain Marvel to artificially inflate their Box office records".

Wasnt he the guy who went all conspiracy-nut and was shrieking "YouTube is deleting any and all videos that criticize Brie Larson!"...on his public videos that criticize Brie Larson? Which weren't deleted?
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.


#Pro-Choice

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14196
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed May 29, 2019 8:10 pm

GojiDog wrote:For example, the whole argument that the movie showcases the monsters and has weak characters...um...aren't the monsters characters in and of themselves? Maybe this comes with being fans of these creatures like we have been most of our lives, but I have a hard time saying that this film had weak characters when it gave me a hero that I loved (Godzilla), a villain that was legitimately intimidating and imposing (Ghidorah), and gave personalities to Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan. Just because they aren't human and they don't talk like we do doesn't mean they aren't characters in the story. Hell, I might like the Transformers movies more if they centered the stories on Optimus Prime instead of Shia LeBouf and Marky Mark.


Americans are conditioned from years of shitty b-movies that monsters exist purely for the big hero to shoot and kill. They cannot understand the concept of a creature like Godzilla to have it's own individual identity and personality. It's what separates kaiju from giant monsters, honestly.

The only exception to this rule (at least from a purely American-made standpoint, i.e ones that don't have influence from Japanese films) is King Kong and that is purely because of two things:

a.) Historical significance
and
b.) He's an ape, the closest thing to a human

Any other giant monster or creature, that is, something that isn't portrayed by a recognizable human actor or is human-sized? It's a special effect and nothing more. It's quite pathetic and sad, really.
Image

User avatar
godzilla98rules
Futurian
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby godzilla98rules » Wed May 29, 2019 8:32 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Who's Quartering and why is that a yikes? Some cringey alt-right channel?

Pretty much, some of what he says is true, such as RT making drastic changes to protect a single movie, and the fact that critics fluff their reviews depending on the studio. But he also pushes inane conspiracy theories such as "Disney is buying most of the tickets for Captain Marvel to artificially inflate their Box office records".


To be fair, I tend to watch him now and then, and he's honestly like any other Youtuber. He will have opinions that not everyone will agree with. Disney buying CM tickets? I feel that is a bit too extreme because Disney is too big of a franchise to really care about how their products are doing (Anyways, that how I feel about it).

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:Wasnt he the guy who went all conspiracy-nut and was shrieking "YouTube is deleting any and all videos that criticize Brie Larson!"...on his public videos that criticize Brie Larson? Which weren't deleted?


Again, most of these statements were meant as jokes. The only times I can think of Youtube removing his videos were for his initial reactions of the Sonic trailer and Mortal Kombat 11.......
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4HAZwFtUEJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10298
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Living Corpse » Wed May 29, 2019 8:48 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
GojiDog wrote:For example, the whole argument that the movie showcases the monsters and has weak characters...um...aren't the monsters characters in and of themselves? Maybe this comes with being fans of these creatures like we have been most of our lives, but I have a hard time saying that this film had weak characters when it gave me a hero that I loved (Godzilla), a villain that was legitimately intimidating and imposing (Ghidorah), and gave personalities to Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan. Just because they aren't human and they don't talk like we do doesn't mean they aren't characters in the story. Hell, I might like the Transformers movies more if they centered the stories on Optimus Prime instead of Shia LeBouf and Marky Mark.


Americans are conditioned from years of shitty b-movies that monsters exist purely for the big hero to shoot and kill. They cannot understand the concept of a creature like Godzilla to have it's own individual identity and personality. It's what separates kaiju from giant monsters, honestly.

The only exception to this rule (at least from a purely American-made standpoint, i.e ones that don't have influence from Japanese films) is King Kong and that is purely because of two things:

a.) Historical significance
and
b.) He's an ape, the closest thing to a human

Any other giant monster or creature, that is, something that isn't portrayed by a recognizable human actor or is human-sized? It's a special effect and nothing more. It's quite pathetic and sad, really.


That and it's possible (I said possible, not a fact) that there's a bit of "he's our monster" bias with King Kong. Some people not familer with the series probably thinks Godzilla dies at the end of every film, I remember a few years ago someone on TK saying they were playing a triva game and the question was which movie character had the most films. One of the players said James Bond (close) and when told the answer was Godzilla with (at the time) 22 films her response was "wow I didn't know you could kill a giant lizard that many times."

Also I wouldn't say every U.S. Giant Monster B-Movie is shitty, that's the same mentality as every Japan Godzilla movie sucks. THEM!, It Came from Beneath the Sea, Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, 20 Million Miles to Earth and The Black Scorpion are pretty good. And 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is pretty damn impressive for a 1954 film, I thought it came from a later decade.
Image

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby BARAGONBREH » Wed May 29, 2019 9:35 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:This video helps ease some pain.

Given that Rotten Tomatoes has Godzilla vs. Destoroyah with a 100% whereas the original Gojira is at 93% shows the site shouldn't be taken seriously anyways.


Yeah because there's probably like, what, 4 reviews of Destoroyah and nobody other than a Godzilla fan is going to bother posting a review for RT?
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6057
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Maritonic » Thu May 30, 2019 4:36 am

BARAGONBREH wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:This video helps ease some pain.

Given that Rotten Tomatoes has Godzilla vs. Destoroyah with a 100% whereas the original Gojira is at 93% shows the site shouldn't be taken seriously anyways.


Yeah because there's probably like, what, 4 reviews of Destoroyah and nobody other than a Godzilla fan is going to bother posting a review for RT?


This is basically the same for any older movie. RT is only useful (I use that term lightly) for movies being released now. Stuff from the 90s and earlier requires fans to go back and review it, which isn't going to happen *nearly* as often as a critic/modern viewer reviewing the next big film.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Desghidorah
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 am

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Desghidorah » Thu May 30, 2019 7:33 am

Thing giving me flashbacks to 1985 is critics saying it's not campy enough and to serious.
Image

User avatar
Troyal1
Interpol Agent
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Troyal1 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:01 am

G2000 wrote:Richard Roeper hates it, unfortunately, in part because he finds it "too serious"

i'm sick and tired of being ninja'd

He compared the darkness to the battle of WF..... which I had a huge problem with.... oh god I hope I don’t agree with him I’m scared now

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby GojiDog » Thu May 30, 2019 8:16 am

Troyal1 wrote:
G2000 wrote:Richard Roeper hates it, unfortunately, in part because he finds it "too serious"

i'm sick and tired of being ninja'd

He compared the darkness to the battle of WF..... which I had a huge problem with.... oh god I hope I don’t agree with him I’m scared now


Having watched both, I can say that yes, while the major battles on G:KOTM take place in the dark, I could make out everything that was happening, unlike The Long Night.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Rhedosaurus » Thu May 30, 2019 8:20 am

You know something? I find it very much a double standard that many of these critics are ripping this movie for being too cheesy and not being serious enough yet the last 4 F&F movies have a fresh rating even though they are FAR more cheesy and schlocky.

If that's not hypocrisy, then tell me what is.

User avatar
jrock
Yojimbo
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:14 am

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby jrock » Thu May 30, 2019 8:32 am

I like how Imdb breaks down their reviews. Gives Godzilla KOTM 7.6/10 based on over 3K reviews already.

10/10-30.4%-923 votes

9/10-10.8%-327 votes

8/10-16.7%-508 votes

7/10-14.9%-451 votes

6/10-11.2%-339 votes

5/10-6.3%-190 votes

less than 5/10-11.6%

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
I see no reason why Rotten Tomotoes Audience score won't be similar. I still think were okay here guys.

User avatar
Gothicserpent
Futurian
Posts: 1658
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Gothicserpent » Thu May 30, 2019 8:37 am

Critics just have a bias against monster movies. Simple as that.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Isla Nublar, 120 miles West of Costa Rica

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby gottatalktothefake » Thu May 30, 2019 8:52 am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be a critics vs audience movie, like a reverse TLJ
"Next time it'll be flawless."

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby BARAGONBREH » Thu May 30, 2019 9:01 am

Gothicserpent wrote:Critics just have a bias against monster movies. Simple as that.


Is that why G14 and K:SI got a 75% and Pacific Rimjob got a 72%?
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Thunderbird
Samurai
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Postby Thunderbird » Thu May 30, 2019 10:09 am

jrock wrote:I like how Imdb breaks down their reviews. Gives Godzilla KOTM 7.6/10 based on over 3K reviews already.

10/10-30.4%-923 votes

9/10-10.8%-327 votes

8/10-16.7%-508 votes

7/10-14.9%-451 votes

6/10-11.2%-339 votes

5/10-6.3%-190 votes

less than 5/10-11.6%

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
I see no reason why Rotten Tomotoes Audience score won't be similar. I still think were okay here guys.


This is awesome. No wonder Baragonbreh ignored it. Goes against the doom.

RT needs to include the rest of those positive reviews asap.


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests