Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Thunderbird wrote:
jrock wrote:I like how Imdb breaks down their reviews. Gives Godzilla KOTM 7.6/10 based on over 3K reviews already.

10/10-30.4%-923 votes

9/10-10.8%-327 votes

8/10-16.7%-508 votes

7/10-14.9%-451 votes

6/10-11.2%-339 votes

5/10-6.3%-190 votes

less than 5/10-11.6%

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
I see no reason why Rotten Tomotoes Audience score won't be similar. I still think were okay here guys.
This is awesome. No wonder Baragonbreh ignored it. Goes against the doom.

RT needs to include the rest of those positive reviews asap.
Why wouldn't I ignore the fact that, obviously, audience scores are going to be much higher when the movie just came out? The majority of people lining up to see this the moment it comes out are hardcore fanboys who would give a YouTube clip of a Godzilla lunchbox a 5 star review. Unlike film critics, who have shown no "bias" against monster movies, the hardcore fans seeing this movie on opening day are most certainly going to be biased -- in favor of it.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Thu May 30, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

_JNavs_ wrote:
JesstrK wrote:Well guys...we are at 46 with 74 reviews. Looks like we are probably stuck in the rotten zone.
Looks like the critics are stuck in the rotten zone. Which they tend to be.

Us, the audience, will likely be stuck in the fresh zone as of this weekend,
Hope so. Guess we're down to 43% now. At this point, I'd be glad just to get back to 56%. If we like what we see, we should go drive the audience score up, at least.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JesstrK wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
JesstrK wrote:Well guys...we are at 46 with 74 reviews. Looks like we are probably stuck in the rotten zone.
Looks like the critics are stuck in the rotten zone. Which they tend to be.

Us, the audience, will likely be stuck in the fresh zone as of this weekend,
Hope so. Guess we're down to 43% now. At this point, I'd be glad just to get back to 56%. If we like what we see, we should go drive the audience score up, at least.
For sure, I'm almost positive the audience score will be phenomenal in comparison. Only issue is the whole verified by fandango votes thing.

Not everyone is going to buy on fandango.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:Critics just have a bias against monster movies. Simple as that.
Is that why G14 and K:SI got a 75% and Pacific Rimjob got a 72%?
I hate going by RT.

Metacritic:

Shin: 67
PR: 65
G'14: 62
K:SI: 62
KOTM: 49 (at present)

At the end of the day tomorrow, KOTM will probably look closer to the other scores shown. It's been increasing throughout the day. Point is, it's hard to see a truly "critically acclaimed" kaiju movie. If anyone had a chance, it was probably Shin -- if only because if someone gave it a great review, not many in the West would actually see it to judge for themselves, so why not? Wouldn't be the first indie-darling type like that.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

vibramrunner wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:Critics just have a bias against monster movies. Simple as that.
Is that why G14 and K:SI got a 75% and Pacific Rimjob got a 72%?
I hate going by RT.

Metacritic:

Shin: 67
PR: 65
G'14: 62
K:SI: 62
KOTM: 49 (at present)

At the end of the day tomorrow, KOTM will probably look closer to the other scores shown. It's been increasing throughout the day. Point is, it's hard to see a truly "critically acclaimed" kaiju movie. If anyone had a chance, it was probably Shin -- if only because if someone gave it a great review, not many in the West would actually see it to judge for themselves, so why not? Wouldn't be the first indie-darling type like that.
Highly doubt it will get up to K:SI or G14 levels. Look at the reviews that haven't been added to either site yet - they are mostly negative.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

^Metacritic isn't going to put stuff up there from sites like stuff.co.nz and One Guy's Opinion.. I don't even know where they found some of these obscure reviews. And yeah, I'm just talking about stuff on RT that's not on Metacritic, but the more obscure sites Metacritic won't factor in. As far as more mainstream reviews, Metacritic already added the RS review, the "It's a Godzilla movie, of course it sucks" Seattle Times review, so I'm not sure what else is really out there that they haven't added which we know of.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

vibramrunner wrote:^Metacritic isn't going to put stuff up there from sites like stuff.co.nz and One Guy's Opinion.. I don't even know where they found some of these obscure reviews. And yeah, I'm just talking about stuff on RT that's not on Metacritic, but the more obscure sites Metacritic won't factor in. As far as more mainstream reviews, Metacritic already added the RS review, the "It's a Godzilla movie, of course it sucks" Seattle Times review, so I'm not sure what else is really out there that they haven't added which we know of.
Yeah, I'm not talking about obscure ones. Check out the Financial Times review, the Houston Chronicle review... Really, just about any mainstream newspaper that hasn't been added to this list yet. Most of them are negative. I'm assuming they will be added if they're going to add "non-obscure" reviews from websites like "We Got This Covered", whatever that is.

Also, I'm quite baffled by Metacritic generally. They claim Berardinelli's review amounted to a 63/100. Anyone who actually bothered to read that review knows that's bull shit.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I'll say this in response to the critic scores.

The main issue seems to be that its all spectacle and no story/character development.

Okay then. What about the 1st Avengers? What about Gravity? What about Mad Max: Fury Road? What about the John Wick Trilogy? What about The Fast and The Furious Movies?

All of those movies have very basic, easy to understand stories, and they color themselves with action and spectacle, and I'll be honest, I really like every single one of those movies I just listed. Some have issues (1st Avengers actually has a ton of tiny nagging issues if you pick it apart) but overall, I find them entertaining and in some cases, huge adrenaline rush inducing films. And all of them were critically acclaimed as well.

But Godzilla sells itself on spectacle and a simple story and it can go to hell? Ok then.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Yeah, no, this might be a simple spectacle movie but there's no way it's worse than Skull Island by any stretch of the imagination.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Yeah, no, this might be a simple spectacle movie but there's no way it's worse than Skull Island by any stretch of the imagination.
Agreed, Skull Island was a cinematic mess, KOTM is no where near perfect but god it’s better than SI by a mile.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Thu May 30, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

GojiDog wrote:I'll say this in response to the critic scores.

The main issue seems to be that its all spectacle and no story/character development.

Okay then. What about the 1st Avengers? What about Gravity? What about Mad Max: Fury Road? What about the John Wick Trilogy? What about The Fast and The Furious Movies?

All of those movies have very basic, easy to understand stories, and they color themselves with action and spectacle, and I'll be honest, I really like every single one of those movies I just listed. Some have issues (1st Avengers actually has a ton of tiny nagging issues if you pick it apart) but overall, I find them entertaining and in some cases, huge adrenaline rush inducing films. And all of them were critically acclaimed as well.

But Godzilla sells itself on spectacle and a simple story and it can go to hell? Ok then.
That's what I've been saying! Hell, Rampage and The Meg have received overall better reviews. What did those films do that KotM didn't?
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

I am sorry to say that I am sort of disappointed in the current direction of the MonsterVerse. I don't know if I'm in the minority, but this film was quite divisive. So much conflicting feelings.

Edit: I messed up and posted the in the wrong thread! MY connection timed out or something, and I accidentally clicked this one...

I sort of agree with some of the criticisms, unfortunately.
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Thu May 30, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Yeah, no, this might be a simple spectacle movie but there's no way it's worse than Skull Island by any stretch of the imagination.
Felt like Skull Island was less of a mess but okay.

Mind you I still did enjoy the movie, as a hot mess. Like sex.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Skull Island was not as satisfying a plot as KOTM.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Yeah KOTM is superior to either film
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Nerd1978
Samurai

Post by Nerd1978 »

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/godz ... sters-2019

Probably the most famous review site, and about the best review so far

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

We all know why this film is getting trashed.

Its not a quipfest like the MCU.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Brad Jones and Irving really liked the movie.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Ken Begg, emeritus member of the B-Masters and proprietor of Jabootu.Net (if you've been following B-movie sites since the late 90s, you'll know who he is), weighs in briefly here:

http://jabootu.net/?p=16168

Also, the boys at the Slaughter Film podcast, posted their review this morning:

https://slaughterfilm.blogspot.com/2019/06/362.html

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

ouch
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.