Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
jrock
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Post by jrock »

Metascore only has it has a 47 out of 23 reviews.

Rotten Tomatoes is at 52% with 52 reviews.

Imdb has it at 85% out of 38 reviews. LINK
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3741700/re ... ngFilter=0

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Thunderbird wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:I have to admit it gets on my nerves that GKOTM's aggregate review score can be so easily ruined by a handful of fat girls and incels who have a grudge against the genre.
Why would anybody have a grudge against the genre?
One of the reviewers started out with an admission that monster films weren't her thing and that alone became the gist of her review.

The CNN review also had a heavy bias. Instead of viewing GKOTM on its own merits, the reviewer derided the series and its core elements and used it as fodder against the new film.
Not to mention the review that decided Gojira and even Watch's beloved Shin Godzilla were "schlock", and used that metric to decide their thoughts on this film.

Or the reviewer that went in expecting Stranger Things references and was upset because they got monster fights and a "Reptar Ripoff" instead.
Last edited by Spuro on Wed May 29, 2019 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

Of all the reviews I've watched and read since yesterday, about half were positive and half were negative (with two of which gushing about the film). The biggest thing I kept hearing from the positive video reviews I watched was that Godzilla fans will eat this up.

I try to stay away from movie reviews, since I'm pretty much of the opinion that film critics are failed filmmakers anyway, but I still can't help seeking them out and allowing them to unfortunately sway my judgement. That being said, I personally will be watching this movie in the following order:

1) Godzilla fan
2) Film fan
3) Filmmaker

I'm very cynical of these big-budget CGI blockbusters (I hate Marvel films, despite a majority of the general audience blowing their loads over them). With Godzilla though, I know I'll love this movie and watch it again and again, good or bad. This typically goes against my usual mentality when watching movies, particularly blockbusters. But that's just what Godzilla means to me.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Why would anybody have a grudge against the genre?
One of the reviewers started out with an admission that monster films weren't her thing and that alone became the gist of her review.

The CNN review also had a heavy bias. Instead of viewing GKOTM on its own merits, the reviewer derided the series and its core elements and used it as fodder against the new film.
Not to mention the review that decided Gojira and even Watch's beloved Shin Godzilla were "schlock".
This is why I have a hard time taking most of those negative reviews seriously. While there are isolate reviews that point out perhaps valid issues like characterization and writing, most of them are just a bandwagon for trashing the franchise in general. The fact that the CNN "review" basically bashes the movie because it apperantely doesn't make fun of itself, takes it too seriously and respects the source material is proof.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed May 29, 2019 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

neo kaijubait
Samurai

Post by neo kaijubait »

Here's Mr. H's take on the Rotten Tomatoes score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ0TKHvdCJo

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Well this is depressing news to wake up to. I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless, but it's a letdown to hear this after all the hype and it may well hurt the box office. What's especially depressing is that, as mentioned above, many of the negative reviews are filled with bias but the GA will probably take them seriously.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I've actually been monitoring this pretty closely and saving screen caps, and I actually have reason to believe the score is being edited. The number of reviews keeps going up and down and every time it goes down it is only positive reviews being removed. Every time the score increases in critic reviewing numbers, the percentage goes up because positive reviews actually do outnumber the negative. Either something is weird going on the site for someone is manipulating the score.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Desghidorah wrote:I've actually been monitoring this pretty closely and saving screen caps, and I actually have reason to believe the score is being edited. The number of reviews keeps going up and down and every time it goes down it is only positive reviews being removed. Every time the score increases in critic reviewing numbers, the percentage goes up because positive reviews actually do outnumber the negative. Either something is weird going on the site for someone is manipulating the score.
Sounds like something RottenTomatoes would do. I really wish we'd get a different main platform to rely on.

Instead of hackers constantly hacking peoples consoles, they should be focusing on the real enemy... The Tomatoe...
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Desghidorah wrote:I've actually been monitoring this pretty closely and saving screen caps, and I actually have reason to believe the score is being edited. The number of reviews keeps going up and down and every time it goes down it is only positive reviews being removed. Every time the score increases in critic reviewing numbers, the percentage goes up because positive reviews actually do outnumber the negative. Either something is weird going on the site for someone is manipulating the score.
So kind of like how they were removing negative reviews for Captain Marvel only the opposite.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

JesstrK wrote:So kind of like how they were removing negative reviews for Captain Marvel only the opposite.
What I tell ya. Critics are obviously being paid! Especially so superhero films can continue to be successful without any direct competition! :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed May 29, 2019 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JesstrK wrote:
So kind of like how they were removing negative reviews for Captain Marvel only the opposite.
That was the weirdest thing because they were removing the negative reviews and allowing constant positive spam of the same review over and over and over.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Any spoiler reviews out yet?
Facts don't care about your feelings

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

neo kaijubait wrote:* Notices that a lot of the negative reviews are from the UK.

* Finds a welcome exception to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cciGHikfmws
They're salty Gorgo never got a sequel. ;)

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Stuckmann came out with his review on YT. Gave it a C-.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I'm sure my plea will fall on deaf ears and/or not be taken seriously, but I think people should just stop taking Rotten Tomatoes seriously going forward full stop.

In recent years, what has that site done other than shine a light on ridiculous (and sometimes infuriating) double-standards that critics occasionally bare? For example, the John Wick franchise. I LOVE that series, they're my most favorite action movies of all time, but once you get past all the neon and gun-play, the story isn't exactly the best. And yet those movies have consistently high percentages across the board.

And that's another thing. The percentage score. For all the talk and claims that people use the site incorrectly by focusing on the percentage score, even from the site itself, the site sure does seem to be encouraging that incorrect usage by putting the percentage score front and center while hiding the average score behind the click of a button that most folks aren't gonna bother with.

In the past, they've been given free passes for allowing contrarian reviews from Armond White, and allowing troll reviews made solely to reduce a movie's score, but it's clear that somewhere along the way the body has begun to rot.

In my mind, Rotten Tomatoes is a failed system. Is it silly that I decided that Godzilla of all things was the straw that broke the camel's back? Admittedly, yes (I do have some degree of self awareness, after all), but the buck has to stop somewhere.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Eh, we still have a majority
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'm gonna say this.

I feel like we have a Venom situation on our hands, in that critics will hate it but GA will see it and remember "hey, there were a bunch of films I disagreed with critics on in the past, and I disagree with them on this, it's not bad, I'm forming my own opinion."

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I’m holding my tongue to some degree regarding these critics, because I remember what happened around this time last year with Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. I knew the whole plot going into that movie, and it sounded great on paper. Then the negative reviews came out, and I completely disregarded them because the movie seemed like it would be great. It was not. But even then, few of the negative reviews captured what was actually wrong with that movie.

With Godzilla, I see a similar scenario rolling out. Negative complaints largely make little sense (lots of attacking the franchise, the concept, the “ridiculousness” and “stupidity” of the premise, all sorts of things I know I won’t have issues with), but for all I know, the movie might indeed turn out to be a massive disappointment.

Either way the movie turns out, I find most film critics routinely unreliable.
Last edited by LockBite on Wed May 29, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

LockBite wrote:
Either way the movie turns out, I find most film critics routinely unreliable.
I have to wonder if being contrarian is mandatory for the job or that people who like being contrarian towards the GA take the job.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Down to 49%
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.