Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Moth
G-Grasper

Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Post by Moth »

This is a thread to discuss critic reviews and what they say so the speculation thread can get a breather.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Post by keizerkaiju »

A lot of people seem to be panicking and giving too much importance to Rotten Tomatoes. Man, who cares. The same people whined about "not enough monsters/battles" in the 2014 movie and now they're whining about "ThE HuMaN ELeMenT". That Aladdin scored higher despite being a lazy remake should be enough to tell you a lot of these folks are biased af.
If it's not superheroes, Disney-related or 'woke' (or a combination of the three), then it'll surely get the crap beaten out of it. I'll probably like it and that's all I care about, critics can go to keep blowing Disney.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

My only concern is that this will affect the box office.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Anybody who judges on whether they'll see a movie solely depending on a critic's opinion is an idiot. If you ask me, the entire job as a movie critic should be abolished completely.

But that's just me.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

LockBite wrote:My only concern is that this will affect the box office.
Totally agree with this.
Long Live The King

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

Hokmuto wrote:
LockBite wrote:My only concern is that this will affect the box office.
Totally agree with this.
Third...

I’m worried. I hope WOM is fantastic

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Some of the complaints I'm reading from negative reviews are absolutely baffling. I'm all for differing opinions, but when you get basic things from the simple story wrong and call it too convoluted to follow there is an issue.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Some of the complaints I'm reading from negative reviews are absolutely baffling. I'm all for differing opinions, but when you get basic things from the simple story wrong and call it too convoluted to follow there is an issue.
And when they start the review by throwing the entire franchise under the bus and saying shit like "even the original Gojira is schlock" then you immediatly know better than to take their review seriously – the bias is perfectly clear from the start.

Honest to god the negative reviews give me more confidence in this movie than the positive ones. :lol:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I know they have the leg up on most of us, because they’ve actually seen the movie... but some of these critics come off as real assholes, saying things like the screenwriters should be ashamed. It’s one thing to hear that coming from an unpaid user, but a professional journalist? Just disgusting.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

I don't care about RT. IMDB is OK, but really don't care about RT, especially when utter shite like TLJ and the new ghostbusters gets 90% fresh and 74% fresh respectively.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

The biggest problem is these so called “critics” are going off by their feelings instead of actually being objective and analzying the films script, editing, acting, etc. in a critical way and not remaining consistent on how they review. I literally read one critics past film review on RT praise a marvel film for being “ the most confusing, convoluted of all the marvel cinematic universe films” being so satisfying while at the same time criticizing KOTM for having “a convoluted plot and not making sense” saying it’d be better if it had no plot.
?????
Just stop listening to these type of critics. Honestly if you want good critiques, check out Mauler, Rags, Smudboy, Cynical Reviews, etc. Just go watch the film and if you enjoyed it, enjoy it, if you dislike it, dislike it.
Last edited by Havoks on Tue May 28, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:terrestris:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

"feelings"

Those things most people go to the movies to have stimulated.

The whole fucking point.

That's all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

"When I heard Millie Bobby Brown was in this, I expected several Stranger Things references, maybe eat some Leggo Waffles. What I got instead, was some boring and overly WWEish monster fights trying too hard to mimic Rugrats Reptar"

Fucking what? LMFAO.

He DID know this was, in fact, a GODZILLA MOVIE and not Stranger Things, right?

No, sorry Eabaker. Some of these critic reviews are objectively bad, lol. And this is coming from the guy who hasn't exactly been expecting a great film himself.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

eabaker wrote:"feelings"
FEEEEEHEEEEEEEEEELINGS
WHOA-OH-WHOA
FEEEEEEEEHLEEEEEEELINGS
Kaiju-King42 wrote:"When I heard Millie Bobby Brown was in this, I expected several Stranger Things references, maybe eat some Leggo Waffles. What I got instead, was some boring and overly WWEish monster fights trying too hard to mimic Rugrats Reptar"

Fucking what? LMFAO.

He DID know this was, in fact, a GODZILLA MOVIE and not Stranger Things, right?

No, sorry Eabaker. Some of these critic reviews are objectively bad, lol. And this is coming from the guy who hasn't exactly been expecting a great film himself.
Where is this from? If it's a paid critic he should be strung up, but if it's just a letterboxd review or some shit don't pay it too much mind
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:No, sorry Eabaker. Some of these critic reviews are objectively bad, lol. And this is coming from the guy who hasn't exactly been expecting a great film himself.
I didn't say I believed every review has equal merit. I just think that its absurd to expect individual emotional response not to be a factor in reviewing/critiquing an artistic medium.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Havoks wrote:Honestly if you want good critiques, check out Mauler, Rags, Smudboy, Cynical Reviews, etc. .
No

But seriously what does it take to become a paid movie critic? Because some of these people seem to have zero idea what they are talking about.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Tue May 28, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

warman222
G-Force Personnel

Post by warman222 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:"What I got instead, was some boring and overly WWEish monster fights trying too hard to mimic Rugrats Reptar"

Are you kidding me with that quote? What the fuck did he think Reptar was a parody of? Like there's just so much wrong there holy shit. Like even GA people can put two and two together on the fact that Reptar was parody of Godzilla(with a dash of Kong). I'm trying to not get on either bandwagon regarding the critics and scores, cause ultimately the most productive thing we can do is chill and wait a couple days. But sometimes you just gotta let it out.

Godzilla is mimicking Reptar.... fucking hell people are stupid.
Last edited by warman222 on Tue May 28, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Havoks wrote:The biggest problem is these so called “critics” are going off by their feelings instead of actually being objective and analzying the films script, editing, acting, etc. in a critical way and not remaining consistent on how they review. I literally read one critics past film review on RT praise a marvel film for being “ the most confusing, convoluted of all the marvel cinematic universe films” being so satisfying while at the same time criticizing KOTM for having “a convoluted plot and not making sense” saying it’d be better if it had no plot.
?????
Just stop listening to these type of critics. Honestly if you want good critiques, check out Mauler, Rags, Smudboy, Cynical Reviews, etc. Just go watch the film and if you enjoyed it, enjoy it, if you dislike it, dislike it.
It's next to impossible to rank films completely dispassionately and "objectively". Like eabaker said they're meant to evoke emotions in the audience (though how well a film does that, and if the emotion evoked is very clearly the opposite of what was intended, and even the exact emotions that the film is trying to evoke and for what reason or purpose are definitely all up for critical review). Perhaps a more suitable term would be biases, as you could make the case that some critics walked into the film with preconcieved notions or prejudices that wound up tinting their reviews one way or another
Last edited by G2000 on Tue May 28, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

eabaker wrote:"feelings"

Those things most people go to the movies to have stimulated.

The whole skreeonking point.

That's all.
And that refutes my point how?
:terrestris:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

G2000 wrote:It's next to impossible to rank films completely dispassionately and "objectively".
Right. The best you can get is someone clarifying what aspects of a work they value most (not everyone gives cinematography the same weight relative to dialogue, or performance; nor will they have the same preference for degree of naturalism vs. theatricality) before they start going into how well the work met their specific expectations. And even then, the same person on a different day might have a different response, because the context in which we engage with a work will define aspects of our response to it.