King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by MrRockett »

Ok forgive me if I'm lazy, but how much were the other monsters involved, introduced and were they cool, meh or forgettable?
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

MrRockett wrote:Ok forgive me if I'm lazy, but how much were the other monsters involved, introduced and were they cool, meh or forgettable?
Spoiler:
Only saw five and Kong is mentioned several times and they were ok
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

I figured I should also give a general assessment:

- On the human side, the character development is pretty shallow. Save for Serizawa, almost everybody is a standard Hollywood blockbuster archetype. Serizawa gets a great, heavily emotional moment, and Farmiga's character gets a good one at the very end, but the others don't have particularly memorable scenes. I had a nitpick with Farmiga's character because her motivations felt too contrived, and it felt like she was too gullible.

- The story is fine. It's more like an excuse to have kaiju fights rather than a real story, but at least it does its job, and doesn't fall apart, unlike some of the bad blockbusters we've seen in recent years. At least I didn't find myself questioning why something happens the way it does. One of the minor problems I had with the plot was its pacing. Like it was so fast-paced with one awesome action sequences right after another, that I think it needed some time to breathe.

- On the other hand, the titans get subperb character development. They aren't just random creatures, they are characters with visible spectrums of emotion, and their individual personalities are clearly recognizable. But they also retain that awe-inspiring, natural disaster-like quality. The script and CGI nailed that balnace, so that the titans all manage to be awesome, graceful and intimidating at the same time.

- The cienmatography is magnificient. It retains that biblical, epic quality of G14 and takes it to another level. Godzilla and Mothra look regal and godly, Ghidorah and Rodan look straight-up demonic in all of their shots. And whenever the titans strike a cool pose, it's like every kaiju fan's wet dream. They look cool in the trailers, but seeing them on the big screen is a different experience altogether.

- The action is good. It's like a mix between a tokusatsu kaiju film and G14. Still retains that weighty grandeur, though it is more dynamic and less afraid to show off each titan's awesome abilities. It completely overshadows G14 in terms of epicness. It does cut away frequently to the human side, but you get to see all the good bits without any interruption, like when a kaiju pulls a rad move or displays his/her special abilities.
Last edited by Vandarker on Wed May 22, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

So we get an A to B plot and great monster action. I'm happy.

I can also get behind cut away scenes...it's a movie, the compromise here is this...In Japan Goji, we really don't see the people in the action with the monsters in view. Now we get the battles, the people and the people within the battle.

Just got my 4DX tickets for next week....Figure the first time I do 4DX might as well be Godzilla
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

MrRockett wrote:So we get an A to B plot and great monster action. I'm happy.

I can also get behind cut away scenes...it's a movie, the compromise here is this...In Japan Goji, we really don't see the people in the action with the monsters in view. Now we get the battles, the people and the people within the battle.

Just got my 4DX tickets for next week....Figure the first time I do 4DX might as well be Godzilla
In that regard yes you will enjoy youself the fights are truly spectacular and awe inspiring with the human charcters running in the mist of them plenty of truly epic shots
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

I loved G14, but I do get a little annoyed by the cut away shots to the humans in the middle of the fight.

Thanks to everyone answering questions without giving away spoilers - truly appreciate it!
Last edited by MorgolKing on Wed May 22, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

MorgolKing wrote:I loved G14, but I do get a little annoyed by the cut away shots to the humans in the middle of the fight.

Thanks to everyone answering questions without giving away spoilers - truly appreciate it!
You're welcome it's a much better 2014 K:SI mix you'll enjoy it.

Added in 7 minutes 26 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Is Rodan a stand out favorite? As a matter of fact, did each of the main Kaiju get their times to shine?
All four are given there deserved screentime and Rodan certainly impressed me the most

The cast in general was good not great I did love Mark Russell though he's my favorite and Stanton and Coleman were surprisingly good and funny moreso on Stanton.
Did any of the acting measure up to Bryan Cranston's Joe Brody in G14?
Sorry forgot to answer this one but no but honestly I think he's overrated anyway I was about connect with these characters betters

Added in 10 minutes 1 second:
Hokmuto wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:How would you rate the human characters from best to worst?
Was the 2014 roar in the film?
Was their a sufficient sense of weight?
Hm...

Well, there was no character I didn't like, if that's what you're getting at. ^^;

Of the main cast: Chandler, Watanabe, Farmiga, Brown, Dance, and Hawkins in that order. Dance and Hawkins are only so far down because their parts were a lot smaller than I expected (it makes sense to me now why Hawkins wasn't all over the advertising considering The Shape of Water) but are wonderful when they are there. Of the more minor characters, I think the standouts were Aisha Hinds and O'Shea Jackson Jr., who serve basically the role David Straithairn did in G'14 (though Straithairn's character is back as well - he's fine, but it's a pretty small part, IMO). As I said earlier, Bradley Whitford is really funny as the comic relief. Ziyi Zhang is good too, and her part gets bigger as the film goes on. I look forward to seeing her again in GvK, I think she has potential to really become a cool character. :)

Both the 2014 roar and the classic roar, or at least a version of the classic roar, are both in the film. They kind of expand Godzilla's vocalizations a bit, you can buy that the classic roar and 2014 roar are different ends of the same spectrum.

And yes, I felt there was absolutely a sufficient sense of weight.
How was Middleditch?
Surprisingly good better than Marlow which I didn't think was possible ,him and Sanford made everybody laugh

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Wrong thread
Last edited by Godzilla21 on Wed May 22, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Overall, I really enjoyed the film. It is a wild and exciting blockbuster from start to finish, and glorifies the monsters we all know and love.

I am definitely seeing this again.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Some of us plebs have to wait till its actually released. :(
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Some of us plebs have to wait till its actually released. :(
It's worth the five wait it's G14 on steroids with much better characters than G14 and Kong easily the best in the Monsterverse

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Some of us plebs have to wait till its actually released. :(
It'll be here before you know it! :D

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

One week! How will you manage?!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Well got Monday off, work 2 days, then vacation the rest of the week. Besides I'll DL the soundtrack tomorrow and listen to that maybe. Still not sure if I wanna force the 4:00 showing or not.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu May 23, 2019 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well got Monday off, work 2 days, then vacation the rest of the week. Besides I'll DL the soundtrack tomorrow and listen to that maybe. Still not sure if I wanna force the 4:00 showing or not.
Well I came across the ad for the screening last Weds just surfing online and it caught my eye so I immediately downloaded the pass abut got my tickets the next day thankfully I already had an AMC Stubs card it literally came outta nowhere but it was worth it so it you can you should

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Just one question, do the toys accurately capture Mothra as she appears in film. I've heard conflicting things.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Just one question, do the toys accurately capture Mothra as she appears in film. I've heard conflicting things.
She's furrier in the movie

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Just one question, do the toys accurately capture Mothra as she appears in film. I've heard conflicting things.
Is she as anthropomorphic as that one shot from the ‘Beautiful’ footage?
Long Live The King

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

Does Godzilla's head look too small compared to the rest of his body?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Hokmuto wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Is she as anthropomorphic as that one shot from the ‘Beautiful’ footage?
All the footage from the trailers and and tv spot besides MBB trying to reach Monarch are in the film so I would say if you felt that way about her in the tv spot you'll feel the same way in the movie

Added in 41 seconds:
MorgolKing wrote:Does Godzilla's head look too small compared to the rest of his body?
Slightly bigger than it was in 2014