King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by Godzilla21 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Like I said, it's true that others prefer to call him "lazy-ass" which is perhaps a superior synonym for "sloppy". Others prefer "messy". But there are others definitely using my word: "sloppy".

What's really going on here is the straight-up denial of a number of users who have been following my posts since I christened Dougherty "sloppy" over a year ago and implied that film critics knew he had a reputation for sloppiness/laziness/messiness. I was told repeatedly this was BS and that I had made it all up, despite me pointing people toward looking at the reviews of his previous work. Then, when the reviews came out for this movie, these folks could no longer avoid it: I was far from the only one who considered his work sloppy/lazy/messy, as numerous critics called KOTM exactly that.

I don't know why it was so important to these folks for me to end up being wrong on this point, so important that they are willing to pretend the reviews of this film simply never happened. But that's their personal issue, not mine. Sloppy Dougherty's title is well-deserved - though I do wish I had thought of "Lazy-Ass Dougherty" instead.
Holy crap I just happened to go into this thread and your post is the first I see with ANOTHER mention of Dougherty! Thats like 16 times since yesterday! LOL. You my friend should go outside.
Off-topic.
Oh right. Sorry. I apologize to everyone.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

Yeah, let's try to keep on topic, and also realize when our points have effectively been made and there's no reason to repeat them ad nauseum. Baragonbreh, you've made your opinion on Dougherty and his works well known by this point. Constantly harping on it is going to annoy people, so perhaps dial back the "Sloppy Dougherty". Not an official warning, just a request since it has been getting on nerves...
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Hatebonerbreh is one of this forums biggest tourist attractions along with Goji&Watch, GFan90's and more recently, Ryguy. (Even I joined the fray with my Zilla whining at some point lol) I remember looking forward to his batpoop posts while I was still a lurker.

Really, I can't fathom how it's so difficult to accept that some people hate this film and some people love it. There's no real need for one side to prove the other wrong and "establish the truth that the other side is denying" or anything. Different opinions exist. If someone takes a poop on the ground, there might as well be some people praising it as art and you shouldn't really bother to change their minds unless it's truly controversial and involves racism or illegal stuff or something.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GuardianGhido wrote:Hatebonerbreh is one of this forums biggest tourist attractions along with Goji&Watch, GFan90's and more recently, Ryguy. (Even I joined the fray with my Zilla whining at some point lol) I remember looking forward to his batpoop posts while I was still a lurker.

Really, I can't fathom how it's so difficult to accept that some people hate this film and some people love it. There's no real need for one side to prove the other wrong and "establish the truth that the other side is denying" or anything. Different opinions exist. If someone takes a poop on the ground, there might as well be some people praising it as art and you shouldn't really bother to change their minds unless it's truly controversial and involves racism or illegal stuff or something.
Lmao exactly. It honestly feels like people take this sh*t too seriously sometimes- people either liked the movie for certain reasons, or disliked it for others. It's that bloody simple. As long as you can critically examine and explain the aspects you liked/disliked, it's fine. There is no ulterior bias critics have against Godzilla, nor is Dougherty controlling reviews with the helps of rabid fans in some wacky conspiracy :lol:

But what the hell am I talking about, this is TK.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I don’t know, I would like to know how some people think the monster fights we got are pitch perfect, I myself and many other have went into great detail about why we think they didn’t hit the peak they should have, but I’ve not seen a single comment discussing why anyone thought the fights where near masterpiece level.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Stump Feet wrote:I don’t know, I would like to know how some people think the monster fights we got are pitch perfect, I myself and many other have went into great detail about why we think they didn’t hit the peak they should have, but I’ve not seen a single comment discussing why they thought the fights where near masterpiece level.
Obviously they aren't pitch perfect, but they are certainly awesome enough to a lot of us. You don't really have to like it like some of us do, some things just don't resonate the same with everyone y'know. It is unfortunate that it didn't resonate with you though. I sympathize as some things everyone else liked didn't resonate with me either, for example the Heisei incarnation of the character which was still taken as somewhat villainous after other kaiju started showing up and it kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

It's perfectly fine if you didn't like KOTM or didn't find the action scenes to your liking. I do understand how some people can be upset by the action being cutaway and shown from the human perspective and I'll have to admit that the camerawork and cinematography overall can be off putting to some. Don't lose hope though, perhaps GvK or Toho's later works will be more to your tastes?
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

That’s still avoiding my question, would someone explain to me why they didn’t think the fight scenes were bad?
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Stump Feet wrote:That still avoiding my question, would someone explain to me why they didn’t think the fight scenes were bad?
Thing is, the reason a lot of us really like the movie is...kinda hard to put in words (I was completely speechless for about an hour after my first viewing). It's more about feeling than substance so I at least can't explain it very well...sorry.

Maybe it's just the wonder of watching Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster styled battles happening with detailed CG instead of rubber suits? That kinda thing? I honestly can't explain it.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

It may come as a surprise to some people who’ve read my posts as of late, but I actually don’t even hate this film and will gladly and excitedly pick this up on Blu-ray the second it hits shelves, but I just can’t fathom how anyone can be content with the fight choreography we got, or the fact I could sit here all day and go on and on about my favorite movies in the series and why they’re so perfect in my eyes, yet no one seems to be able to tell me how the fight choreography seemed to succeed in their eyes, just kinda weird is all.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Stump Feet wrote:It may come as a surprise to some people who’ve read my posts as of late, but I actually don’t even hate this film and will gladly and excitedly pick this up on Blu-ray the second it hits shelves, but I just can’t fathom how anyone can be content with the fight choreography we got, or the fact I could sit here all day and go on and on about my favorite movies in the series and why they’re so perfect in my eyes, yet no one seems to be able to tell me how the fight choreography seemed to succeed in their eyes, just kinda weird is all.
Dunno about everyone else, but I'm desperately trying to think of a way to explain it...all I get are intangible feelings instead of actual words. Ugh.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I wouldn't call the fights GTTHM-styled, the choreography, blocking, and cinematography are drastically different. Now obviously some of that is due to more advanced effects that allow for far more shot choices, monster movement, etc. but Edwards managed to evoke the wide shot vistas of Tsuburaya's effects scenes just over 5 years ago.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I think I got something, to me, the fighting styles feel more balanced instead of cheesy pro-wrestling or standing there and spamming beams. Godzilla in this movie from what I saw had a decent variety of human-like fighting moves, atomic breath blasts (sure he didn't use it often, but most uses felt solid) and animalistic mauling. He grappled, clawed, bit and even did a chokeslam and rammed Ghidorah's heads through windows. His fighting style just felt nice here.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Stump Feet wrote:That’s still avoiding my question, would someone explain to me why they didn’t think the fight scenes were bad?
I thought they had a great sense of scale and atmosphere, and a decent amount of energy too. Not to mention they produced a lot of- once again, in my opinion- epic and memorable moments- Godzilla and Ghidorah firing beams at each other, Godzilla entering Boston and clashing with Ghidorah, Mothra defeating Rodan, the sky drop and Fire Godzilla- my personal favorite. Not to mention, they had one heck of a great soundtrack accompanying them. And finally, the monsters actually FOUGHT- as in direct head to head clashes and not just laser spamming all over the place.

But like I said, this is how I feel. It's honestly pretty strange to ask "why they didn't think the fights were bad". It's pretty simple- they didn't. Do I think that more could have been done with the camerawork etc? Yes. Do I think these fights were perfect? No, there were certain elements I had a trouble with. But did I find them to be entertainting and awesome? You goddamn bet I did.

What you might have viewed as faults might have not been viewed so by others. That's it.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them King of the Monster's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Smuggers wrote:When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them King of the Monster's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch
That exact copy pasta popped in my head, thanks a mill for posting it, always gets a chuckle from me when well placed.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting