On this day, May 16, 2019, Gareth Edwards' Godzilla turns 5 years old

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Moth
G-Grasper

Re: On this day, May 16, 2019, Gareth Edwards' Godzilla turns 5 years old

Post by Moth »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:AHHHHHHHH GARETH COME BACK YOU CAN EVEN BRING BORENSTEIN PLEASE JUST COME BACK I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID
Spoiler:
that bit where Ford and Godzilla both go underwater was honestly kino
Which scene is that again?
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Nathus214 wrote: Which scene is that again?
Right after the train attack, Ford goes under and the film cuts to Godzilla doing the same
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Oh! Now I remember. Yeah I thought it was cool, especially on my latest rewatch
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Yeah, always liked how you get "He's going under!" before the actual cut. Nice little transition.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Smuggers wrote:I feel like a lot of issues with the film are due to the script rather than Edwards' directing. Like the characterization. Seriously, what were those guys supposed to do with the stuff they were given? Max Borenstein is not a very good writer and the rewrites it got were not a good sign.
After rewatching it today in anticipation for a showing of KOTM that I never ended up going to (rip), this is absolutely true.

The actors are all fine, they've been in good stuff before this movie. The technical filmmaking in this movie is great. Good shots, great mise en scene, great effects, good score, good set/sound design, etc.

But all of it, all of it is dragged down by the abysmal script. It's so bad. It actively harms the actor's performances, yes even Bryan Cranston's, because of how terrible it is. Serizawa's stunted and awkward Hiroshima conversation with Stenz, Joe's weird infliction when arguing with the Janjira security guard, Ford and Elle's...well, everything. These are all very capable actors who I've seen do good with other movies before but this one's script just sucks so bad. They're all clearly trying their hardest and well, they couldn't hack it.

The thing is that it didn't need to be this way. There's bits and bobs, story pieces that are there clear as day that can be connected into an interesting and compelling narrative. But Max Borenstein, as you said, just isn't a good writer. It's the dead horse that's been beaten so badly it's making dust as the bat connects, but Joe dying after being set up throughout most of the first act of the film is a crushing blow to the film's structure. The link between Joe's work and Monarch could've allowed for both parties' stories to have connected, making the narrative just a tad more cohesive. Now, with Joe dead and Ford's only real link between the folks at Monarch severed, he essentially abandons that side of the story, splitting up the narrative and making Serizawa, Graham, Stenz, etc. all weaker because of it. We don't spend time focusing on those three and it makes them suffer because of it.

But ignoring the script, like I said everything else in the film is pretty good. Godzilla's presence might be an issue as the film doesn't really give him enough screentime to have the audience feel his presence as the film goes on. The MUTOs have that presence, but Godzilla is almost always forgotten until he pops up again. But their battles and Godzilla's arrival in Honolulu are fantastically paced. And yes, I don't mind the cutaways. It does make the inevitable full confrontations much more satisfying. Would I have complained about the action if they were removed? Mmm, probably not.

All in all, on a rewatch it's a passing but ultimately not-quite-great 7/10 for me.