On this day, May 16, 2019, Gareth Edwards' Godzilla turns 5 years old

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Tek
Yin-Yang Master

On this day, May 16, 2019, Gareth Edwards' Godzilla turns 5 years old

Postby Tek » Thu May 16, 2019 10:59 pm

As I write this, it's still May 16. Today marks 5 years since Godzilla made his comeback in US theaters for the first time in nearly 15 years. I guess I'm nostalgic, so I created this thread to ask others to share their memories of that faithful weekend as well.

No questions in general... just reply with whatever thoughts you might have on this 5 year anniversary.

I saw it the day before, May 15, 2014. It was memorable for several reasons. Obviously, Godzilla. But randomly, it was the 10 year anniversary of my first girlfriend. We're still friends so it was a nostalgic day for me. But the biggest... seeing it with my childhood best friend and my cousin. The 3 of us grew up loving Godzilla and that was a day I don't think any of us saw ever happening.

It was one of the best experiences I've had at the theater. The crowd was so hot for it and it was full. Hardcore G Fans came out. One guy next to me wore a Terror of MechaGodzilla t-shirt. The movie had us all cheering. I walked out pretty impressed. It was only on multiple viewings that my opinion of the film soured ever so slightly, but man I'll never forget that first viewing. It was incredible.

I expect KotM to surpass that 100x.
Last edited by Tek on Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: On this day, May 16, 2019, Gareth Edwards' Godzilla turns 5 years old

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Fri May 17, 2019 11:39 am

5 years and those cutaways still haunt the fandom
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 am

5 years and WB still can't fix the goddamm lighting on their home release. Trust me, I would love to rewatch this movie before KOTM (I actually like it. Despite the character issues and strange cuts, I still think it's a well directed and solid reintroduction of Godzilla to western cinema), but the skreeonking darkness in the DVD/Blu-ray release is downright unbearable. I tried to change the resolution of my tv screen, but it just makes it worse. It's honestly frustrating :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri May 17, 2019 1:15 pm

Dv-218 wrote:5 years and WB still can't fix the goddamm lighting on their home release. Trust me, I would love to rewatch this movie before KOTM (I actually like it. Despite the character issues and strange cuts, I still think it's a well directed and solid reintroduction of Godzilla to western cinema), but the skreeonking darkness in the DVD/Blu-ray release is downright unbearable. I tried to change the resolution of my tv screen, but it just makes it worse. It's honestly frustrating :lol:

Oh no lol, I just picked up the new re-released Blu Rays of Godzilla/Kong and Rampage, would've picked up PacRim too but they were outta stock..

Is the blu ray for G14 really that bad?

I remember it looked beautiful in theaters.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 17, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Sith Apprentice.

G2000
EDF Soldier

Postby G2000 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:19 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:Oh no lol, I just picked up the new re-released Blu Rays of Godzilla/Kong and Rampage, would've picked up PacRim too but they were outta stock..

The older ones were. They screwed up something in the transfer, making it dark to the point of being almost unwatchable.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Gojira18
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira18 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:21 pm

My opinion on G14 has kinda stabilized over the years. When it first came out, my 14 year old dumba** thought it was a masterpiece. Now that I'm older, I acknowledge that it's got some big flaws. However, I still feel like the good outweighed the bad, and is still one of my favorite Godzilla films because it revived the franchise. That and it's the first Godzilla film I saw in theaters.

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 pm

G2000 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Oh no lol, I just picked up the new re-released Blu Rays of Godzilla/Kong and Rampage, would've picked up PacRim too but they were outta stock..

The older ones were. They screwed up something in the transfer, making it dark to the point of being almost unwatchable.

Was it ever fixed? That sounds like quite a drag to watch.
ImageImage
Sith Apprentice.

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:18 pm

G2000 wrote:

Wait a minute, so the new Blu-Ray pack that got released a while ago fixes the issue? If yes, I might consider picking it up.

And yeah, I clearly remember it looking marginally better in the theater. The initial home media basically turned the movie into an unwatchable mess, you meed to squint just to see sh*t like the SF battle :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri May 17, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri May 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Dv-218 wrote:
G2000 wrote:

Wait a minute, so the new Blu-Ray pack fixes the issue? If yes, I might consider picking it up.

And yeah, I clearly remember it looking marginally better in the theater. The initial home media basically turned the movie into an unwatchable mess, you meed to squint just to see sh*t like the SF battle :lol:

I'll see if the new re-release is a solid quality later td and I'll let you know lol. I never knew it was that bad on the OG release :lol: .

Added in 55 minutes 57 seconds:
Rewatching G14 as of riiiiight now. On my laptop, still love the scores for this film.

The main theme is iconic, cinematography is beautiful and really sucks you into the world. The entire intro is epically constructed.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 17, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Sith Apprentice.

Tytyvyllvs
Ronin

Postby Tytyvyllvs » Fri May 17, 2019 3:57 pm

I was at uni and was supposed to be revising for exams, but I was so excited for Godzilla '14 that I convinced my housemate to neglect his own revision and come see it with me in the cinema.

Annnd we both hated it. :lol: The best part of the experience was seeing the people a couple of rows in front lose their minds during the first atomic breath scene (I still think of their reaction whenever I see that scene now!).

I rewatched it recently and I still don't find it enjoyable to sit though, though I did find myself appreciating the score, monster sound design and some specific scenes a little more this time around.
Last edited by Tytyvyllvs on Fri May 17, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Fri May 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Tytyvyllvs wrote:I rewatched it recently and I still don't find it enjoyable to sit though, though I did find myself appreciating the score, monster sound design and some specific scenes a little more this time around.

It's very much one of those films which is largely mediocre but has a couple of spectacular scenes that nearly make the watch worth it.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri May 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Definitely wouldn't say this film is mediocre. But to each their own.

Even upon rewatching it, every scene makes sense and establishes a further narrative. (Currently up to the Hawaii scene, and wow does Edwards know how to build tension).
ImageImage
Sith Apprentice.

Smuggers
Futurian

Postby Smuggers » Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:Even upon rewatching it, every scene makes sense and establishes a further narrative. (Currently up to the Hawaii scene, and wow does Edwards know how to build tension).

It's all downhill from there! Well, for about 20 minutes while we wait for everyone to get to San Fran for Act 3. The sequence with the female Muto and the train is pretty great though.
LegendZilla wrote:I see this movie as said dying child.

BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
G2000 wrote:

Was it ever fixed? That sounds like quite a drag to watch.

Big thanks to Chris for this tip, the transfer is too dark on every release EXCEPT the 3D Blu-Ray. I have both versions and I ripped the 3D Blu-Ray to my PC and its a beautiful transfer. I don't know why they screwed up the other transfers but like I said get the 3D Blu-Ray disc and rip it to your PC and it will look great.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:04 pm

The regular blu-ray also looks fine when played from a PS4, for reasons I don't entirely understand. I've tested it with different monitors, playing devices, and even blu-ray disks (I bought a steel book later on)
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Hokmuto
Futurian

Postby Hokmuto » Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 pm

My thoughts on May 15th: 10/10! BEST GODZILLA MOVIE EVER!
My thoughts on May 30ish: 9/10! REALLY GOOD MOVIE!
Literally a year later: 6.5/10 Amazing cinematography and sound design with epic scenes sprinkled throughout, but overall lackluster film
Long Live The King

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Fri May 17, 2019 8:19 pm

Hokmuto wrote:My thoughts on May 15th: 10/10! BEST GODZILLA MOVIE EVER!
My thoughts on May 30ish: 9/10! REALLY GOOD MOVIE!
Literally a year later: 6.5/10 Amazing cinematography and sound design with epic scenes sprinkled throughout, but overall lackluster film

A 6/6.5 is a good place for this film and is where I would leave it. When I first saw it I gave it a 7.5, my brother was pissed as hell when Cranston died because he was a huge breaking bad fan so that was his biggest problem with it. Lol
Otherwise it's a decent film, I don't introduce it to my friends as there first Godzilla film.. But if they manage to enjoy some of the Toho films then I let them get around to it but warn them of the flaws so there not left disappointed.

For Godzilla 2019, this will be my friends first theater experience with the Godzilla series so I am hoping all goes well and it lives up to the hype. I am sure my brother and his girlfriend will be seeing it as well.

Gojira18
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira18 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:20 pm

I'd say 7/10 personally. I'd recommend it as a good starting point for the series, but it's not perfect.

NBG2
Ronin

Postby NBG2 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:14 am

Five years and his new origins still make me ashamed to be a Godzilla fan. Yes, this movie makes me ashamed to be a Godzilla fan. I hate this movie and don’t understand why people enjoy it, but I don’t fault them for finding some relatively minuscule enjoyment in this poorly written reel of celluloid. Visually it is impressive but the writing and character development is an utter travesty. For a movie marketed to bring back Godzilla into his destructive and menacing roots, it is Rian Johnson levels of subversion for the MUTOs to do everything Godzilla should have done. I do not find this version particularly thematic, and find it saddening for the sake of empty nostalgia. Lip service to Hiroshima notwithstanding. I will find KOTM a better experience for the sake of more Godzilla, but the thematic elements, or apparent lack thereof, still make me annoyed that this particular poster child of the franchise exists. I now look at new entries with apathy and weariness. I’m sure at some point a colleague of mine will be able to phrase it better than I ever could since he’s currently working on a retrospective more honest than the one on this site. But hey, Godzilla’s back in all his puppeted rotting glory. I have to deal with it.

G2000
EDF Soldier

Postby G2000 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:41 am

NBG2 wrote:Five years and his new origins still make me ashamed to be a Godzilla fan. Yes, this movie makes me ashamed to be a Godzilla fan. I hate this movie and don’t understand why people enjoy it, but I don’t fault them for finding some relatively minuscule enjoyment in this poorly written reel of celluloid. Visually it is impressive but the writing and character development is an utter travesty. For a movie marketed to bring back Godzilla into his destructive and menacing roots, it is Rian Johnson levels of subversion for the MUTOs to do everything Godzilla should have done. I do not find this version particularly thematic, and find it saddening for the sake of empty nostalgia. Lip service to Hiroshima notwithstanding. I will find KOTM a better experience for the sake of more Godzilla, but the thematic elements, or apparent lack thereof, still make me annoyed that this particular poster child of the franchise exists. I now look at new entries with apathy and weariness. I’m sure at some point a colleague of mine will be able to phrase it better than I ever could since he’s currently working on a retrospective more honest than the one on this site. But hey, Godzilla’s back in all his puppeted rotting glory. I have to deal with it.

While I disagree on most of this post, I will definitely agree with you that the marketing was an utter travesty. From the Oppenheimer teaser to the initial trailers to statements from the director we were promised the most grimdark and relevant Godzilla film in years, and what we were given was a film that seemed a spiritual successor to the late Showa films, with Godzilla as a heroic savior whose victory is quite literally greeted with cheering from humanity. Which, in my mind, would have been okay as long as Legendary hadn’t openly misled the public with deceptive marketing that made it seem as if it would be returning Godzilla to his roots as a nuclear allegory (and making it seem like Bryan Cranston would be the star of the human cast, but that’s another thing entirely).

I can also agree on the “lip service to Hiroshima” aspect. It does seem like we will get a bit of payoff on this in KoTM, but in the context of G14 it’s not nearly as weighty as it could have been. The scene seems almost an afterthought compared to the rest of the film.

I most definitely disagree on the MUTOs being “Rian Johnson levels of subversion.” There’s definitely a valid argument that the film meant to reintroduce Godzilla to global audiences spent too much of it’s time focused on developing these new and somewhat generic foes for Godzilla to fight, but at the same time there’s nothing inimical to Godzilla as a character or as a franchise. Like above, I’d argue it’s somewhat reminiscent of some of the older vs. films in that it treats Godzilla as a sort of established character while spending most of it’s time developing the villain monster that Godzilla has to come in and put down during the final act.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Current)”