Classification and biology of titans

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Classification and biology of titans

Post by Olzh26 »

titans
I noticed some confusion about the classification and biology of titans in MonsterVese, so I created this thread. You can express your thoughts and suggestions about any titan regarding this topic
Last edited by Olzh26 on Thu May 16, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Re: Classification and biology of titans

Post by Monster X »

An intreasting topic.

Well given that Godzilla apparently comes from the late Permian, he's not a dinosaur but likely related. From his biology and physiological traits, Godzilla is likely an Archosaur or something pretty close. This is the clade from which Crocodiles, Dinosaurs, Marine Reptile and Pterosaurs all originate.

The MUTO are a species arthropod, but exactly were they fit in the evolutionary line is unknown since their is no real life counterpart. Probably they come from an evolutionary line not seen in our earth's history, something that evolved alongside Godzilla.

Kong is a relative new comer to all this. His species can only be at most between 6 - 7 million years old. It's also hard to pick out exactly were Kong himself fits as he has traits that could put him in the Gorillini, Hominini and Australopithecina lines.

Rodan is also not very simple. While it would be easy to just label him a pterosaur, which would mean his species came about during the Mesozoic Age. But his head and especially his legs are more like those of dinosaurian and birds. As a bit of speculation, given his species volcanic biology it's possible Rodan evolved in the environment created by the chicxulub impact (the meteor that killed the dinosaurs) as this event is currently believed to have been the cause for increased volcanic activity, during an era when significant geological upheaval was going on, if I'm not mistaken.

Mothra... I have no fucking idea.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Monster X wrote:An intreasting topic.

Well given that Godzilla apparently comes from the late Permian, he's not a dinosaur but likely related. From his biology and physiological traits, Godzilla is likely an Archosaur or something pretty close. This is the clade from which Crocodiles, Dinosaurs, Marine Reptile and Pterosaurs all originate.

The MUTO are a species arthropod, but exactly were they fit in the evolutionary line is unknown since their is no real life counterpart. Probably they come from an evolutionary line not seen in our earth's history, something that evolved alongside Godzilla.

Kong is a relative new comer to all this. His species can only be at most between 6 - 7 million years old. It's also hard to pick out exactly were Kong himself fits as he has traits that could put him in the Gorillini, Hominini and Australopithecina lines.

Rodan is also not very simple. While it would be easy to just label him a pterosaur, which would mean his species came about during the Mesozoic Age. But his head and especially his legs are more like those of dinosaurian and birds. As a bit of speculation, given his species volcanic biology it's possible Rodan evolved in the environment created by the chicxulub impact (the meteor that killed the dinosaurs) as this event is currently believed to have been the cause for increased volcanic activity, during an era when significant geological upheaval was going on, if I'm not mistaken.

Mothra... I have no skreeonking idea.
i'd revise the MUTO part. The MUTOs are vertebrates.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Is it possible the MUTOs aren't from Earth?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Anonziller
Samurai

Post by Anonziller »

The MUTOs are probably terrestrial placoderms

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

_JNavs_ wrote:Is it possible the MUTOs aren't from Earth?
a good idea. This was explained why they are not classified. And justified their title "invasive species"

Added in 14 minutes 57 seconds:

but Rodan has wings like pterosaurs, not birds

Added in 21 minutes 45 seconds:

sea ​​reptiles are not archosaurs.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Olzh26 wrote:
a good idea. This was explained why they are not classified. And justified their title "invasive species"

Added in 14 minutes 57 seconds:

Added in 21 minutes 45 seconds:

Marine crocodiles come to mind and besides the point Godzilla and other Titans are just freaks of nature
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I very much prefer my fictional monsters being able to align with the biology of existing life forms on Earth. That is why I’m not too happy with certain creative decisions done with Mothra’s design. Also, I think I just might have preferred the MUTOs if they had been giant yardigrades like the dead creature in the 2012 teaser for G2014. I just feel if you do it that way, the less you have to suspend disbelief.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

LegendZilla wrote:I very much prefer my fictional monsters being able to align with the biology of existing life forms on Earth. That is why I’m not too happy with certain creative decisions done with Mothra’s design. Also, I think I just might have preferred the MUTOs if they had been giant yardigrades like the dead creature in the 2012 teaser for G2014. I just feel if you do it that way, the less you have to suspend disbelief.
Mothra - Lepidoptera, written on the monarch's site

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Olzh26 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I very much prefer my fictional monsters being able to align with the biology of existing life forms on Earth. That is why I’m not too happy with certain creative decisions done with Mothra’s design. Also, I think I just might have preferred the MUTOs if they had been giant yardigrades like the dead creature in the 2012 teaser for G2014. I just feel if you do it that way, the less you have to suspend disbelief.
Mothra - Lepidoptera, written on the monarch's site
As I said before, they screwed up Lediopteran anatomy big time.

mattman559
GPN Volunteer

Post by mattman559 »

Anybody wanna take a shot at classifying Ghidorah?

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

mattman559 wrote:Anybody wanna take a shot at classifying Ghidorah?
will not work because it is from space

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Olzh26 wrote:

The MUTO being an alien species is not far fetched given that Ghidorah is now a part of the monster verse. Given that they have highly conflicting traits for an earth species I’d say it’s possible.

While Rodan’s wing are like pterosaurs, his head is much smaller in proportion to his body size then any large Pterosaur I’m awaire of. Also as far as we know, not pterosaur used their feet the way modern predatory birds do. What I’m suggesting, and didn’t make clear the first time, Rodan is a related species but not actually one of there number.

As for marine reptiles, you correct. Sorry I was really tired when I typed all this up and made a mistake.
Last edited by Monster X on Mon May 20, 2019 3:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

With the new Kayu, too, not everything is easy. especially with the mammoth monkey. considering that he is from Brazil, he is possibly a monkey which has similar features with a mammoth due to convergence

mountain titan is some kind of primitive ungulate
Last edited by Olzh26 on Tue May 21, 2019 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I think the MUTOs must be some sort of extremely evolved placoderm. Only earthly possibility that makes sense.
Spoiler:
Scylla's probably a sort of ammonite that evolved to walk on the sea floor.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

While Ghidorah has no biological equivalent on earth, after some spoilers I can suggest how to classify him, possibly.
Spoiler:
Ghidorah displays behaviour only found in one species on this planet. He transcends the notion alpha predator, he is a species that not only rules but dominates an ecosystem. It doesn't simple alter it but actively and knowingly changes the environment to suit itself, in a manner so fast that most species simple cannot compete and have no chance of adapting. He even gos so far as to even bend other species to his will to aid it.

Ghidorah is like us homosapians, he’s just better at dominating the environment then we are.
Last edited by Monster X on Fri May 24, 2019 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Probably should have put this here first, instead of the "Godzilla species" thread, but oh well.
Can we even say that he and the other Titans are a species?
There are a few ways to define a species, but the easiest for living organisms is that they can reproduce and make fertile offspring. Now, we know of two Titanus gojira, so they are. Mothra seems to come from an egg in this universe, so it seems she is. But the others?
Also, putting them all in the same genus is complicated but likely incorrect, unless all titans are genetically related.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Monster X wrote:While Ghidorah has no biological equivalent on earth, after some spoilers I can suggest how to classify him, possibly.
Spoiler:
Ghidorah displays behaviour only found in one species on this planet. He transcends the notion alpha predator, he is a species that not only rules but dominates an ecosystem. It doesn't simple alter it but actively and knowingly changes the environment to suit itself, in a manner so fast that most species simple cannot compete and have no chance of adapting. He even gos so far as to even bend other species to his will to aid it.

Ghidorah is like us homosapians, he’s just better at dominating the environment then we are.
spoilers are not prohibited

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Skullcrawlers are probably mosasaurs adapted to subterranean environments.

Added in 2 days 15 hours 28 minutes 55 seconds:
Spoiler:
Apparently, Behemoth is related to ground sloths.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I think the MUTOs must be some sort of extremely evolved placoderm. Only earthly possibility that makes sense.
Spoiler:
Scylla's probably a sort of ammonite that evolved to walk on the sea floor.
Why does everyone in this forum think that Muto is the placoderm? explain please