Godzilla: Aftershock Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla: Aftershock Spoiler Thread

Post by miguelnuva »

So Dagon is Adam who was the ancient Godzilla killed at the start of G14 and the Mutos hatched from him.

Nice big loop the comic sets up. Dagon should have been hanging out with his cousin more.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

The Philippine skeleton was always intended to be a member of Godzilla's species. Both the special features for G14 and The Art of Destruction say it's a Godzilla skeleton. I think Graham's bio calling it "unidentified" is just in reference to the fact they were summoned there to investigate what was at the time "an unidentified Titan skeleton." It was just identified afterward.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

_JNavs_ wrote:So the in-canon reason Godzillas spines are different, isn't because of radioactive mutations from a nuke, but instead grew back like that after an ancient MUTO Prime screamed at sonic levels and shattered all of his fins? Am I the only one who feels like it's a bit outta left field? Especially since it's not something we're physically seeing on the screen? Aren't Godzillas spines stronger than glass?
At the correct sonic frequency everything breaks. The decibels of that scream must be outrageous
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:So the in-canon reason Godzillas spines are different, isn't because of radioactive mutations from a nuke, but instead grew back like that after an ancient MUTO Prime screamed at sonic levels and shattered all of his fins? Am I the only one who feels like it's a bit outta left field? Especially since it's not something we're physically seeing on the screen? Aren't Godzillas spines stronger than glass?
At the correct sonic frequency everything breaks. The decibels of that scream must be outrageous
So (and I know this is irl logic so it probably doesn't apply) at that frequency no one including Goji would hear it right? Or is Godzilla just deaf now lol?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon May 13, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Huan_of_Valinor wrote:
So (and I know this is irl logic so it probably doesn't apply) at that frequency no one including Goji would hear it right? Or is Godzilla just deaf now lol?
I mean...

The thing the human characters were using to trick MUTO Prime probably should have deafened them too.

At least Godzilla seems to have a healing factor to compensate.

Also irl sound stops being sound (as we think of it) at around~ two hundred decibels or so and starts behaving as a shockwave. It's been a while since I looked at the charts. Needless to say such shockwaves are lethal. Go high enough and you're dead before you can go deaf.
Last edited by Huan_of_Valinor on Mon May 13, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

One detail I like is that Dagon’s spines are a bit more noticeably different from Godzilla’s old spines. They are more “fatter” and blunt looking compared to Godzilla’s tall, “broken glass” look.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:
It's no weirder than Gyaos using supersonic screams to slice through buildings and Gamera's shell.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Tyrant28 wrote:One detail I like is that Dagon’s spines are a bit more noticeably different from Godzilla’s old spines. They are more “fatter” and blunt looking compared to Godzilla’s tall, “broken glass” look.
Yeah, I honestly found this little detail cool too. While obviously it'll never be explained, I wonder if it's an indicator of possible sexual dimorphism or just flexible individual variation depending on the size and age of the individual.
A non-important detail, just speculating for fun lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Dv-218 wrote:
Tyrant28 wrote:One detail I like is that Dagon’s spines are a bit more noticeably different from Godzilla’s old spines. They are more “fatter” and blunt looking compared to Godzilla’s tall, “broken glass” look.
Yeah, I honestly found this little detail cool too. While obviously it'll never be explained, I wonder if it's an indicator of possible sexual dimorphism or just flexible individual variation depending on the size and age of the animal.
Dougherty has stated that Godzilla's spines are basically his crown. So if we go in biological terms, we can say it varies depending on their social status and their maturity.
Long Live The King

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Hokmuto wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Yeah, I honestly found this little detail cool too. While obviously it'll never be explained, I wonder if it's an indicator of possible sexual dimorphism or just flexible individual variation depending on the size and age of the animal.
Dougherty has stated that Godzilla's spines are basically his crown. So if we go in biological terms, we can say it varies depending on their social status and their maturity.
Yeah, that's entirely possible tbh. It also fits with the fact that Godzilla has lived longer than any other member of his species, and seemingly grew in size according to KOTM. One could say he's the equivalent of an Elephant tusker or a dark maned Lion for his species.
(Perhaps it's just the angle, but it also appears that Dagon as the tablets depict him is slightly smaller than Godzilla. Could be a subadult).
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon May 13, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Dv-218 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Yeah, that's entirely possible tbh. It also fits with the fact that Godzilla has lived longer than any other member of his species, and seemingly grew in size according to KOTM. One could say he's the equivalent of an Elephant tusker or a dark maned Lion for his species.
(Perhaps it's just the angle, but it also appears that Dagon as the tablets depict him is slightly smaller than Godzilla. Could be a subadult).
I get the impression that this Godzilla and the MUTOs just kept growing over the millennia, to the point where they’re noticeably larger than their prehistoric counterparts. That’s not to say they weren’t huge to begin with, but it paints an interesting picture. Maybe there’s never been a creature that looks quite like Godzilla. This would be a neat concept in general to allow these creatures to have their individuality and still be part of their own species.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

LockBite wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote: Dougherty has stated that Godzilla's spines are basically his crown. So if we go in biological terms, we can say it varies depending on their social status and their maturity.
I get the impression that this Godzilla and the MUTOs just kept growing over the millennia, to the point where they’re noticeably larger than their prehistoric counterparts. That’s not to say they weren’t huge to begin with, but it paints an interesting picture. Maybe there’s never been a creature that looks quite like Godzilla. This would be a neat concept in general to allow these creatures to have their individuality and still be part of their own species.
That would make sense. I have a hard time believing the earth even in its earliest stages could support an entire species like Godzilla never mind the new Titans, KG, Rodan, Mothra, and the MUTOs.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

cloverfan98 wrote:I have a hard time believing the earth even in its earliest stages could support an entire species like Godzilla never mind the new Titans, KG, Rodan, Mothra, and the MUTOs.
If you can suspend your disbelief over them not collapsing under their own weight, being able to fire beams, generate/activate EMP fields, and survive in conditions that even tardigrades would perish in, you can suspend your disbelief over something as simple as this. C'mon.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Not to mention, Ghidorah's mere ability of generating storms that completely fuck up the earth's atmosphere are a pretty clear indicator he might not be of earthly origin.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

NSZ wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:I have a hard time believing the earth even in its earliest stages could support an entire species like Godzilla never mind the new Titans, KG, Rodan, Mothra, and the MUTOs.
If you can suspend your disbelief over them not collapsing under their own weight, being able to fire beams, generate/activate EMP fields, and survive in conditions that even tardigrades would perish in, you can suspend your disbelief over something as simple as this. C'mon.
Well you got me there lol.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Got this today. I read both Awakening and this in a 1 hour 30 minute span. First will say Awakening is fine... it sets up G14 nicely and its flaws aren’t that bad as far as continuity goes.

Now Aftershock I really enjoyed. It’s a pretty good continuation of G14 and gives you more insight on the life cycle of the MUTOs. I love the fact the MUTOs weren’t just thrown away and are still a big part of the Monsterverse. I wouldn’t be shocked if they have a role to play in the future.. whether it be in GvsKong itself or another graphic novel.

Loved the more in depth explanation of Adam/Dagon.

So they do explain Godzilla’s spine change. I’m not so sure Godzilla’s spines fully “blew off” after MUTO Primes sonic roar.. thinking it was more like a earthquake on Godzilla’s spines and parts broke off showing “cleaner” spines underneath. If you look at the page closely you can actually see Godzilla’s new spines underneath.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Muto are the cause of mass extinctions. God, could you come up with such nonsense? it looks like some kind of fan fiction. it is also contrary to the "Awakieng", which said that the Permian extinction caused an asteroid
Last edited by Olzh26 on Fri May 17, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Olzh26 wrote:Muto are the cause of mass extinctions. God, could you come up with such nonsense? it looks like some kind of fan fiction. it is also contrary to the "Awakieng", which said that the Permian extinction caused an asteroid
Uh...nowhere in the graphic novel they say that the MUTOs are the cause of the mass extinction events lmao. It specifically states that they are the cause for the collapse of several civilizations through human history, nothing more than that.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Dv-218 wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:Muto are the cause of mass extinctions. God, could you come up with such nonsense? it looks like some kind of fan fiction. it is also contrary to the "Awakieng", which said that the Permian extinction caused an asteroid
Uh...nowhere in the graphic novel they say that the MUTOs are the cause of the mass extinction events lmao. It specifically states that they are the cause for the collapse of several civilizations through human history, nothing more than that.
It said that they are the cause of the extinction of many species.

Added in 4 minutes 45 seconds:
information from Wikizilla -

"In 2014, following the appearance of a creature believed to be the basis for the myth of the Shinto entity Jinshin-Mushi, the Japanese government provided Monarch with ancient stone tablets dating from the 11th century B.C. inscribed in Phoenician. These tablets chronicled the arrival of a group of Phoenicians in Japan after a shipwreck, marking the first contact known between the Far East and the Levant. There, they encountered a creature resembling Godzilla, which the Phoenicians believed to be their sea god Dagon. They witnessed the arrival of what was almost certainly Jinshin-Mushi, which attacked Dagon and knocked him to the ground before extending arrow-tipped tentacles from its body and stabbing him with them. Dagon eventually regained consciousness and returned to the sea, with the inscriptions suggesting that he had miraculously been saved from death. However, Monarch's Dr. Emma Russell knew what had really become of Dagon. Jinshin-Mushi had implanted its parasitic young inside of Dagon's body. These parasites leeched off of Dagon's internal nuclear energy until he finally collapsed and died, becoming entombed in a cave in the Philippines which had been uncovered in 1999. Emma believed that Jinshin-Mushi was the parent superspecies of the two MUTOs which had emerged from the spores found attached to Dagon's skeleton, giving it the name "MUTO Prime." She proposed that other Godzilla-like creatures such as Dagon had existed in the ancient past, and MUTO Prime had carried out this parasitic life cycle several times. The strata found in the Philippine cavern and a MUTO egg chamber in Siberia both corresponded to mass extinction events in Earth's history. Emma believed that once MUTO Prime brought down a Titan, its progeny overran the world like an invasive species, wiping out the rest of their ecosystem before they turned on each other and the only survivor became the next MUTO Prime. Now, MUTO Prime was attempting to do to Godzilla what it had done to Dagon, which would almost assuredly lead to another catastrophic mass extinction."

Added in 1 hour 1 minute 47 seconds:
appeal to those who read the aftershock. Muto is really the cause of many mass extinctions?
Last edited by Olzh26 on Fri May 17, 2019 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

They don’t say the Mutos themselves causes Mass Extinction events, just the the “two chambers correspond the mass extinctions of earth’s history”. Which could mean either they played apart of some mass extinctions or The Muto Prime was just active around those times. Honestly it could just be the writers incorrectly using the word mass extinction considering they immediately talk about how the Mutos causes the dark ages right after.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.