Kaiju as gods and mythical animals you want to see in the Godzillaverse.

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Kaiju as gods and mythical animals you want to see in the Godzillaverse.

Post by Rhedosaurus »

This is based on a post I made and had a short conversation with JNavs. My question was that if Godzilla and the rest of the kaiju are titans, then what are the kaiju that would represent the Olypian Gods or any other beings?

Also, what other mythical animals do you want to see in the Godzillaverse? What kaiju would be the basis of said mythical animals?

Here's my list of mythical animals.

1. The Ziz. In Jewish mythology, the Ziz was the King of the birds, made to protect all the birds so that they won't get wiped out. It's basically to the sky what the Behemoth is the to the ground and the Leviathan is to the ocean/water. Speaking of those two...it is said that when the Behemoth and Leviathan fight, the Ziz will come along and crush them both. Yeah, it is THAT powerful.

Location: A mountainous location in Israel. Pic courtesy of venominon via DA.

2. The Thunderbird. Basically, the Native American version of the Ziz. Supposed to cause thunderstorms and fire lighting bolts and can pick up whales with ease. In reality, it might be based on living giant eagles, the semi-mythical Washington's Eagle is considered the main suspect by many. Could also be used as a backup for the Ziz.

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America, preferably an Old/Wild West state. Pic via Selladorra also on DA.

3. The Peluda. This is a very interesting dragon from France. It has the body of a porcupine, but with green fur covering the quills which contain some sort of venom, and it could fire them like toxic laced spears, legs of a turtle, the tail of a sauropod dinosaur, and the neck and head of a viper. Not only could it shoot fire for miles, but it was also amphibious. In the legend, it died when it's tail was severed by a sword stroke, but I think I read in a book back in middle school that it died via a stab to the belly. Needless to say, that won't happen in the movie.

Location: Le Ferte-Bernard, France or some other mountain or forest in France. Picture via ShukerNature by Helena Zakrzewska-Rucinska.

Here's some info about the beast.
http://karlshuker.blogspot.com/2015/09/ ... noahs.html

4. Orochi. Yes, I know that this he has been in a pair of Toho movies in the past. But why not introduce him in the Godzillaverse. After all, other then the PS2 classic, Okami, he hasn't really been given much exposer so let him have his time to shine.

Kaiju representing gods/other titans/mythical animals.

1. Godzilla=Oceanias. Oceanias was the titan of the ocean. Unlike all the other titans, he never took part in the Titan/Olypian war. He was basically a rebel, if not a semi-anarchist. In the Godzillaverse, this would be a mistranslation and that Oceanias would be the protector of the sea.

2. Biollante=Gaia. Gaia is the Mother of the titans and the sprit of Earth. In the Godzillaverse, Biollante would be Gaia, but instead of being the mother of the titans, she'd be the first titan.

3. Gigan=The Cockatrice and Chronos. In myths, the cockatrice was an odd dragon that had the body and tail of a dragon, but the head, wings, and legs of a rooster. In the Godzillaverse, Gigan would not only be considered the basis of the Cockatrice, but also the titan Chronos. Chronos is identified by having a sickle, and Gigan would be roughly compared to him via his large curved claws for hands.

4. Angurius=Tarasque. The tarasque was a odd dragon that, from the book I have, used to live in Asia Minor-which is most likely Turkey-but came to southern France. It had 6 legs, a flexible tail, a tough carapace with sharp spikes, and the head of a lion, from which it shot out streams of fire. In the Godzillaverse, Angurius would be the Tarasque, but he would keep his basic design.

5. King Caesar reimagined as a Aniu God. He would be either Horkew Kamuy-the White Wolf God, which in this case would basically be a giant bipedal werewolf/akita mix, or as Kim-Un Kamuy, the bear god. Location: Hokkido Japan, in a mountain.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju as gods and mythical animals you want to see in the Godzillaverse.

Post by Gojira18 »

Quetzalcoatl: A massive feathered snake capable of gliding thanks to think flaps of skin similar to flying snakes.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Yamata no Orochi would be an nice addition especially given its public domain.

I'd like to see the Kraken too.

Also I know not really mythological but more cryptid but also Nessie and a Yeti-based simian rival eventual turned ally to Kong.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Yamata no Orochi would be an nice addition especially given its public domain.

I'd like to see the Kraken too.

Also I know not really mythological but more cryptid but also Nessie and a Yeti-based simian rival eventual turned ally to Kong.
Considering how we got Nessie via the late 1990's cartoon, I don't see how having her in the Godzillaverse could be a problem.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

In before someone throws a shit fit over any suggestion of Mothra being a nature spirit.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Living Corpse wrote:In before someone throws a poop fit over any suggestion of Mothra being a nature spirit.
screaming intensifies
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Rhedosaurus wrote: 1. The Ziz. In Jewish mythology, the Ziz was the King of the birds, made to protect all the birds so that they won't get wiped out. It's basically to the sky what the Behemoth is the to the ground and the Leviathan is to the ocean/water. Speaking of those two...it is said that when the Behemoth and Leviathan fight, the Ziz will come along and crush them both. Yeah, it is THAT powerful.

2. The Thunderbird. Basically, the Native American version of the Ziz. Supposed to cause thunderstorms and fire lighting bolts and can pick up whales with ease. In reality, it might be based on living giant eagles, the semi-mythical Washington's Eagle is considered the main suspect by many. Could also be used as a backup for the Ziz.

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America, preferably an Old/Wild West state. Pic via Selladorra also on DA.
Quite honestly I think these could both be covered by Rodan. I always did like the idea of Godzilla, Anguirus, and Rodan corresponding to Leviathan, Behemoth, and Ziz respectively, and given that the Monsterverse Rodan is residing in Mexico you could make an argument that his "range" once included the American Southwest, and his ability to cause storms is either a mythological mangling of the hurricane-like winds he generates or an ancient Ghidorah attack that over time got conflated with Rodan.

3. Gigan=The Cockatrice and Chronos. In myths, the cockatrice was an odd dragon that had the body and tail of a dragon, but the head, wings, and legs of a rooster. In the Godzillaverse, Gigan would not only be considered the basis of the Cockatrice, but also the titan Chronos. Chronos is identified by having a sickle, and Gigan would be roughly compared to him via his large curved claws for hands.
Adding to this, in some legends the cockatrice was said to be able to kill it's victims by looking at them, with "cockatrice" sometimes being used interchangeably with "basilisk." While this might not jibe with your ideas for an organic Gigan, if we were to take a Final Wars type approach and have Gigan as an alien cyborg that attempted to attack Earth in the past but was defeated by our Titans, the cockatrice's "killing glance" could be explained as ancient civilizations trying to explain his eye laser
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

G2000 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote: 1. The Ziz. In Jewish mythology, the Ziz was the King of the birds, made to protect all the birds so that they won't get wiped out. It's basically to the sky what the Behemoth is the to the ground and the Leviathan is to the ocean/water. Speaking of those two...it is said that when the Behemoth and Leviathan fight, the Ziz will come along and crush them both. Yeah, it is THAT powerful.

Quite honestly I think these could both be covered by Rodan. I always did like the idea of Godzilla, Anguirus, and Rodan corresponding to Leviathan, Behemoth, and Ziz respectively, and given that the Monsterverse Rodan is residing in Mexico you could make an argument that his "range" once included the American Southwest, and his ability to cause storms is either a mythological mangling of the hurricane-like winds he generates or an ancient Ghidorah attack that over time got conflated with Rodan.

Adding to this, in some legends the cockatrice was said to be able to kill it's victims by looking at them, with "cockatrice" sometimes being used interchangeably with "basilisk." While this might not jibe with your ideas for an organic Gigan, if we were to take a Final Wars type approach and have Gigan as an alien cyborg that attempted to attack Earth in the past but was defeated by our Titans, the cockatrice's "killing glance" could be explained as ancient civilizations trying to explain his eye laser
My main problem with Rodan being the Ziz and/or the Thunderbird is that other being being a big winged animal, he really doesn't quite have all the powers either bird has. Not only that, but unless you count the giant vulture from Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster, which was just a cameo appearance, how many giant bird kaiju do you have? I can't think of any. Besides, having a giant powerful bird kaiju would be a simple, yet fresh breath of air. Not only that, but considering how Pterandons are rumored to be alive in Papua New Guniea-the Roepn and the Duah-it would make more sense for Rodan the live in the Pacific rather then be a worldwide known Kaiju that went by different names.

Also, a side note. Godzilla would not make a good comparison for the Leviathan for a few reasons. Godzilla is and always has been male while the Leviathan is female (Book of Enoch). That and the Leviathan has been described as a serpent dragon (and mosasaurs best fit the descriptions). Godzilla looks nothing like a serpent.

I really do like the idea of Gigan's optical laser=the cockatrice's killing glare, though.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

We already have Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah as airborne titans, some ground and sea based would be more welcoming I say.
Jörmungandr The World Serpent from the Norse mytho.
This could easily fit into the Monsterverse, the old folklore of a serpent so large it wraps around the earth could just be a super large serpent titan, possibly the biggest of them all.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

ultrazilla wrote:We already have Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah as airborne titans, some ground and sea based would be more welcoming I say.
This could easily fit into the Monsterverse, the old folklore of a serpent so large it wraps around the earth could just be a super large serpent titan, possibly the biggest of them all.
I like this idea. Jormungandr would easily replace Manda and would be the cause of all those sea serpent sightings back in the day. We could even make modern day sea serpents his offspring.

Added in 12 days 2 hours 46 minutes 12 seconds:
I've got another one. The ocean dragon Cetus.

Picture by KingOvRats via DeviantArt.

Added in 2 minutes 39 seconds:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
ultrazilla wrote:We already have Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah as airborne titans, some ground and sea based would be more welcoming I say.
I like this idea. Jormungandr would easily replace Manda and would be the cause of all those sea serpent sightings back in the day. We could even make modern day sea serpents his offspring.