Was it stated that the Monsterverse would end after GvK?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Shadd21
Ronin

Was it stated that the Monsterverse would end after GvK?

Postby Shadd21 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:49 am

I'm confused here, i read on some sites (like Godzilla-movies) that it will be the final installment of the Monsterverse, however i heard some people saying that it isn't.

Was it ever directly stated by the GvK director, producer, or Warner Bros. themselves on whether or not it would be the last film?
Last edited by Shadd21 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Re: Was it stated that the Monsterverse would end after GvK?

Postby GojiDog » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:52 am

My understanding is that it was the last one planned, but they'll continue it if G:KOTM and GVK do well.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Postby KillCrites » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:59 am

I don't think it was officially stated anywhere but Legendary's contract with Toho is said to expire after 2020 and from the plot details we have it seems like it'll be a giant Destroy All Monsters type movie so I'm betting on it being the last movie in the series. Toho also wants to make their own cinematic universe soon so I feel like that lessens the chances of the contract getting renewed unless Toho and Legendary can work out some kind of deal where they can produce films simultaneously.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Moogabunga
G-Grasper

Postby Moogabunga » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:07 am

The reality is not a single person knows what happens to the Monsterverse, anyone claiming otherwise is lying out of their a**. Heck, for all the people who say Legendary'contract ends in 2020, I have yet to see any concrete proof of that. (Not saying it's not true, just saying I haven't seen any concrete evidence)

And as far as Toho goes, IF they were to cut ties with Legendary after 2020...I'm sorry, but ending the Monsterverse so that you can do the exact same thing on a much less successful scale, seems incredibly bizarre - especially considering numerous recent interviews with Toho representatives claiming to want Godzilla to be a global brand. The Monsterverse allows Godzilla to be mainstream worldwide, ending it would be insane...but we'll see what happens in a little over a year
Last edited by Moogabunga on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Postby KillCrites » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:18 am

Moogabunga wrote:The reality is not a single person knows what happens to the Monsterverse, anyone claiming otherwise is lying out of their a**. Heck, for all the people who say Legendary'contract ends in 2020, I have yet to see any concrete proof of that. (Not saying it's not true, just saying I haven't seen any concrete evidence)

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3447 ... made-2020/
Shin Godzilla co-director Shinji Higuchi made crystal clear sense of the deal during his Q&A at G-Fest XXIV over the weekend, bumming out the entire crowd when he revealed that the parntership with Legendary means that Toho can’t make another Godzilla film until AFTER 2020.

“A lot of people have questions. ‘When is the next Japanese Godzilla movie coming out?’ They cannot make it until after 2020,” Higuchi told the G-Fest audience.

In other words, Toho has to wait until Legendary finishes Godzilla vs. Kong (set for a 2020 release) before they can begin work on either a Shin Godzilla sequel or any film featuring Godzilla. At this time, we have no idea what plans will be post-2020, but Higuchi did note that he’d gladly direct another Godzilla movie if asked.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:53 am

I think the rights actually go back to Toho after Godzilla vs. Kong. That doesn't mean that they can't be renewed for other films by Legendary, but based on what Toho has been saying about their "world of Godzilla", I think a lot of folks (myself included) are under the impression that Toho is going to take the rights back. It especially feels like it, when you consider Toho's history and how they've liked to just keep things to themselves, even if the monsterverse could give Godzilla more eyeballs and money, globally.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:23 am

Nah but it's a pretty safe assumption. Shin Godzilla probably brought Toho way more money than 2014.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Poe Ghostal
Interpol Agent

Postby Poe Ghostal » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:29 am

My understanding is that the Monsterverse could continue sans Godzilla, though. Maybe with Kong, maybe with other (non-Toho) monsters, old and new.

And Shin Godzilla came out after G’14. I’m sure if KOTM and GvK make enough money, everyone involved will find a way to keep it going, even if it means concurrent universes.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

LockBite
Interpol Agent

Postby LockBite » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:40 pm

The World of Godzilla series strikes me as more of a low-budget affair, and Shin Godzilla indicates that Godzilla movies can co-exist. Hard for Legendary to induce Godzilla fatigue if they’re only giving us one film every 3 years. Toho definitely has room to profit there.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:44 pm

LockBite wrote:The World of Godzilla series strikes me as more of a low-budget affair, and Shin Godzilla indicates that Godzilla movies can co-exist. Hard for Legendary to induce Godzilla fatigue if they’re only giving us one film every 3 years. Toho definitely has room to profit there.

Exactly. Especially if Godzilla vs Kong hits that high note in the box office I'm expecting it to with such a close release date to KOTM, the hype train from KOTM won't stop until GvK. There's no reason the 2 cannot co exist.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Apprentice.

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:28 am

I feel like I'm in groundhog day with these threads
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:43 am

gottatalktothefake wrote:I feel like I'm in groundhog day with these threads

It's people just refusing to accept facts, really.

The Monsterverse contract ends in 2020. This is a fact. Toho wants to do a cinematic universe of their own. This is also a fact. Shinji Higuchi has stated that Toho cannot make any live action movies until 2020. That, once again, is a fact.

Contracts can be extended, though. This doesn't mean GVK is the final MonsterVerse film, just the only one still (publicly) on the docket. They can renegotiate the contract if they want to continue or they can end it off with GVK and have Toho do their own universe. Both series can run simultaneously as well.

We have nothing to do but wait and see. Until then, people should learn to accept that 2020 AS OF RIGHT NOW is the "end" of the MonsterVerse. Not the "end" as in, the final thing EVER but "the end" as in, "nothing else is planned." But the card is subject to change.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:22 pm

UltramanGoji wrote: Shinji Higuchi has stated that Toho cannot make any live action movies until 2020. That, once again, is a fact.

What is Shin Godzilla then?
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:26 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote: Shinji Higuchi has stated that Toho cannot make any live action movies until 2020. That, once again, is a fact.

A clause in the contract due to Legendary pushing back KOTM to 2019.

Higuchi claimed at G-FEST that had KOTM come out on its original date, they would still be working on Shin at that time (which was 2017).

Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Smuggers » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:33 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Shinji Higuchi has stated that Toho cannot make any live action movies until 2020. That, once again, is a fact.

The result of a contractual loophole? I don't remember the exact details but iirc Toho had a small window to produce a Godzilla film because Legendary wasn't actively making one. Not like there's any reason for Shinji Higuchi to lie about that.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:42 pm

The monsterverse might not end, but all the Godzilla related stuff most likely will. People forget that originally Legendary wanted more monsters, be it famous scifi ones, or original ones. For all we know Godzilla-less monsterverse films could continue.

And remember, money is always money. If/when KOTM/GVK make bank, and are good for Godzilla’s namebrand Toho night change their minds.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:The monsterverse might not end, but all the Godzilla related stuff most likely will. People forget that originally Legendary wanted more monsters, be it famous scifi ones, or original ones. For all we know Godzilla-less monsterverse films could continue.

And remember, money is always money. If/when KOTM/GVK make bank, and are good for Godzilla’s namebrand Toho night change their minds.

It'd finally be time for that Beast from 20,000 Fathoms remake :D :D in universe, where he ends up teaming with Kong and Goji down the line
Sith Apprentice.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Postby Chris55 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:14 pm

I think it'll continue. If it makes $, it'll live on.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:26 pm

Didn't Toho say they wanted to release a new film on a regular basis (every two years or so) and wanted to get back into the international market? Does that leave any room for an active Legendary series?

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:19 pm

kamilleblu wrote:Didn't Toho say they wanted to release a new film on a regular basis (every two years or so) and wanted to get back into the international market? Does that leave any room for an active Legendary series?

Well, we have two different theatrical Spiderman movies (and a game) all existing in different universes within the span of a year. And a Toho Godzilla would be a limited release like Shin in all likelihood anyway.

I think we'd be fine.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”