Non Toho Monsters that could show up if the Monsterverse if it continues?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Anonziller
Samurai

Non Toho Monsters that could show up if the Monsterverse if it continues?

Post by Anonziller »

We know Warner brothers is distributing and they have the rights to a few monsters including:

-The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms aka Rhedosaurus
-THEM!
-Gwangi
-the Black Scorpion (possibly)
-They co-produced Rampage and the Meg

Are there any others they have? Would they be willing to loan them to Legendary? What are the odds we'll see any of these? What other monsters could show up? Are there any public domain monsters that could show up?

Added in 1 minute 13 seconds:
*in the monsterverse if it continues

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Re: Non Toho Monsters that could show up if the Monsterverse if it continues?

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

GORGO!

I don't know who owns the rights but that monster needs a return!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

All the above said pretty much.

Also would love to see some public domain monsters such as the Loch Ness Monster and a simian rival based on the Yeti for Kong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I mention this in every thread about future kaiju, I'd love to see a modern take on The Giant Battleship aka The Giant Claw. Along with Reptillicus. Those 2 films were crazy when I was younger
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:I mention this in every thread about future kaiju, I'd love to see a modern take on The Giant Battleship aka The Giant Claw. Along with Reptillicus. Those 2 films were crazy when I was younger
Giant Claw definitely needs a design like this if it gets remade.
Spoiler:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I mention this in every thread about future kaiju, I'd love to see a modern take on The Giant Battleship aka The Giant Claw. Along with Reptillicus. Those 2 films were crazy when I was younger
Giant Claw definitely needs a design like this if it gets remade.
Spoiler:
That would honestly put him right up there with 2014 Big G in terms of my favorite designs, I love how bulky yet mean he looks. It's like a combination of a Komodo dragon and an Eagle/Hawk but why does he have lights on his torso though?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:That would honestly put him right up there with 2014 Big G in terms of my favorite designs, I love how bulky yet mean he looks. It's like a combination of a Komodo dragon and an Eagle/Hawk but why does he have lights on his torso though?
Not sure but with such a design like that it'd make me want to see an aerial fight between it and Rodan. :huge:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:That would honestly put him right up there with 2014 Big G in terms of my favorite designs, I love how bulky yet mean he looks. It's like a combination of a Komodo dragon and an Eagle/Hawk but why does he have lights on his torso though?
Not sure but with such a design like that it'd make me want to see an aerial fight between it and Rodan. :huge:
That would be ferocious, If they ever gave Rodan the solo film treatment and they wanted to go above and beyond, adding the Giant Claw would be such a lore building concept. I think it could totally work too.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms aka Rhedosaurus
-THEM!
-The Giant Behemoth
-Gwangi
-the Black Scorpion
-The Giant Claw

These are all owned by Warner bros I belive

-Ymir
-Gorgo
-Gamera

These three are just who I want to see added.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Original monsters.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote:-Gamera
I couldn't imagine the licensing right being that hard to get but no Gamera isn't owned by Warner Bros. He's own by Kadokawa.

Gorgo also to my knowledge isn't either but couldn't imagine the rights being that hard either.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:-Gamera
I couldn't imagine the licensing right being that hard to get but no Gamera isn't owned by Warner Bros. He's own by Kadokawa.

Gorgo also to my knowledge isn't either but couldn't imagine the rights being that hard either.
He was talking about THEM and the others he list in the list above that, Gamera's in the list of those he wishes for.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Living Corpse wrote:He was talking about THEM and the others he list in the list above that, Gamera's in the list of those he wishes for.
Aw poop I had a brainfart there apparently... :oops: :lol: I don't know where that even came from...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:He was talking about THEM and the others he list in the list above that, Gamera's in the list of those he wishes for.
Aw poop I had a brainfart there apparently... :oops: :lol: I don't know where that even came from...
It happens to us all from time to time but yes Gamera is just a wish the others owned by WB I could see crossing over.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I think Giant Claw and 20 Million Miles to Earth are owned by Columbia.
While Gorgo, I believe, is owned by MGM.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I think it'd be important to get characters who are distinct from the existing monsterverse ones. Ones that have a unique design, backstory, and theme to them so that they can stand out from the rest of the cast. Ones that could possibly hold their own solo films. As much as I like Gorgo, he's too much like Godzilla as a giant, bipedal aquatic dinosaur monster.

Some good choices, from best to worst, would be:

– Gamera. He has the advantage of being an a franchise of his own, with a distinct personality. design, and power-set. He has lots of lore over the course of many films that could be used, and a large rogue gallery of other monsters. Because LPG already took the Gamera: Guardian of the Universe rout, I'd suggest a movie more similar to Gamera: The Brave. A Boy/Girl and their Monster story would go a long way to not only seperating Gamera from other monsters, but provide a unique story beyond "Monster gets loose, monster rampages" plot.

– The Beast of 2000 Fathoms. Has the danger of being too much like Godzilla, but if they explore the disease angle some more they could have a distinct creature. In our world today there's a very real risk that the melting of the polar icecaps could release a deadly, ancient super-virus that could cause millions of causalities. The Beast is the perfect monster to represent those dangers, and the movie could be constructed as a strong environmental message.

– THEM. It's perhaps the most popular giant bug movie of the 1950s, and the smaller size of the ants makes them a more personal and unique threat compared to other giant monsters.

– The War of the Worlds. Those who believe aliens have no place in the Monsterverse may be against this one. Again, this choice establishes some unique, famous "monsters" in the tripods, and gives the Monsterverse a unique story that can't really be compared to other entries.

– 2000 Million Miles to Earth. While the story has its similarities to King Kong, the idea of tiny alien creature that continues to grow overtime is a novel one, and Yimir's sympathetic nature would make it a good choice for solo film. However, this movie and its monster aren't as well known as the others on this list.

– Jason and the Argonauts/Clash of the Titans. This one is waaay out there. But monsters in this universe are known to have existed in the past, and even worshipped as gods. It's a crazy choice for sure, but at the very least it would give us some unique stories and settings compared to the rest of the Monsterverse.

As for other monsters... The Giant Claw is too similar to Rodan, the Black Scorpions too similar to the better known ants in THEM. Two of three Rampage monsters are too similar to Kong and Godzilla/the Rhedosaurus. The Giant Behemoth is to close to Godzilla in concept, and the Rhedosaurus in design. Gwangi is more of a dinosaur movie. And all of these, minus Gwangi, have the same "Monster gets free, monster rampages" plotlines with not a lot of unique themes separating them from one another.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I don't really see Legendary willing to pay money for anything else besides Gamera but that seems like it would be a licensing nightmare with Toho involved and everything.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

What helps Gamera is we already have a bio-volcanic lifeform with Rodan, and Gamera eats fire, so you could say he evolved in a similar way to Rodan, that is if they want him to be natural and not man made. Could even bring the Magma Turtles into the films and say he is a hyper evolved version of them, or heavily modified clone of them if you wanna go the ancient civilization/alien route.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I still feel Gamera has no place in the MonsterVerse IMO given I feel he won't be the same without his ancient civilization origin. That's what makes Gamera stand out from Godzilla and other kaijus like King Kong and Ultraman.

I'd rather it be its own film and sequels separate from the MonsterVerse.

I mean if realism and naturalism is the thing for the MonsterVerse that people says it is how can an ancient civilization work to begin with? I'm all ears but I can't see that working within the MonsterVerse .
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I still feel Gamera has no place in the MonsterVerse IMO given I feel he won't be the same without his ancient civilization origin. That's what makes Gamera stand out from Godzilla and other kaijus like King Kong and Ultraman.

I'd rather it be its own film and sequels separate from the MonsterVerse.

I mean if realism and naturalism is the thing for the MonsterVerse that people says it is how can an ancient civilization work to begin with? I'm all ears but I can't see that working within the MonsterVerse .
Isn't there ruins of an ancient civilization in the KotM trailer?

One under the sea for that matter. IE: Mu/Atlantis.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.