Gamera in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Post by miguelnuva »

Rokmutul wrote:Let's say Gamera is somehow introduced into the Monsterverse, what would be the best route to introduce him in? In a Godzilla vs Gamera film? Godzilla 3/4/5 etc with Gamera just in the mix? Gamera solo film?
If it was me and Lmy job was to establish Gamera I would do Godzilla vs Gamera first and try to show him off as a badass. Godzilla and Kong eight now are the money names. Use Godzilla to get the GA in, use Gamera to hype us kaiju fans and then use to film to get Gamera over with the GA.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I'd actually do a Gamera solo film first before including him in Godzilla. Rampage is just as obscure to most people as Gamera is, and it did fine, Gamera can do just as well. Just include a big name actor on the same scale as the Rock like Rampage did. Again, if the first Pacific Rim, Rampage, and the Meg can all be successful on their own, Gamera should do just fine. Plus if you introduce him as a Godzilla opponent, that's all he'll be known as. You need to start as a solo character in order not to be viewed as a spin-off. Bad enough most of the GA who do know Mothra and Rodan don't know they had their own solo films.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Gamera better hope his she’ll can withstand Godzilla’s atomic breath....ooh I’ll hide in my shell...Godzilla tips him up and delivers the kiss of death with it exhausting out his leg holes like when he’s flying...yeah that would be sweet...

I need to photoshop that pic...
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MrRockett wrote:Gamera better hope his she’ll can withstand Godzilla’s atomic breath....ooh I’ll hide in my shell...Godzilla tips him up and delivers the kiss of death with it exhausting out his leg holes like when he’s flying...yeah that would be sweet...

I need to photoshop that pic...
Gamera should withstand Godzilla's atomic breath about as well as Rodan, Anguirus, Ghidorah, etc. I don't know why he wouldn't, he's been shown to take similar assaults from others. Hell, I think some versions are fireproof?
Never mind it would be a bad idea for Godzilla to try and do the kiss of death move, considering Gamera should just pop his head out to give Godzilla a face full of flamethrower or fireball. Never mind if Gamera is hiding in his shell, why would he let Godzilla just walk up to him when he can just fly away? He's a flying, firebreathing armored turtle, not a sitting duck.
How pathetic do you think Gamera is?

Not saying Gamera would win, but he'd put up more of a fight than just hiding in his shell on the ground waiting for Godzilla to walk up and breath atomic death down his shell's neck hole.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Obviously if Gamera were to get into the MonsterVerse he'd have to be able to go toe to toe with Godzilla like with others for obvious reasons like plot and such.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Actually, now that I remember it a bit better, original Gamera actually consumed fire as a food source, and considering it was an atomic bomb that woke him up in the first place seems not to be vulnerable to radiation. Godzilla trying the kiss of death might actually just give the giant turtle a snack and power him up (depending on whether it's as flamethrower-like as last time or not). So yeah, even if Godzilla wins, blowing atomic breath in Gamera's turtle shell won't be how.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Just having fun with the visual since his jet legs were the same color blue as Gojis breath.

That said, he did eat fire though regular fire.

As for the sitting duck, severs times he just sat there while the opponent tried to get through his shell.

Just having fun with the idea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Rokmutul wrote:Let's say Gamera is somehow introduced into the Monsterverse, what would be the best route to introduce him in? In a Godzilla vs Gamera film? Godzilla 3/4/5 etc with Gamera just in the mix? Gamera solo film?
If it were up to me, as a new character second-billed to either Godzilla or Kong. Very much like how they're introducing Rodan and Mothra in KOTM (or, as another example, how they introduced Black Panther and Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War). While I'd love to see Gamera get a solo Hollywood movie from Legendary, it's kinda hard to argue for it. At the very least, he needs to be reintroduced to audiences alongside either Godzilla or Kong to reestablish him first.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Sine we all know that G14 had a father/son dynamic (at least at the start) and KOTM is clearly set to have the same, only with a mother and daughter. Hypothetically, a Gamera film could maybe have a mother/son dynamic. Either that or a father/daughter one.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri May 17, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

LegendZilla wrote:Sine we all know that G14 had a father/son dynamic (at least at the start) and KOTM is clearly set to have the same, only with a mother and daughter. Hypothetically, a Gamera film could maybe have a mother/son dynamic.
We shouldn’t even go over what dynamic the film will go (human wise) since at this point, it is merely a dream. Hopefully it becomes a reality though.
Long Live The King

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Hokmuto wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Sine we all know that G14 had a father/son dynamic (at least at the start) and KOTM is clearly set to have the same, only with a mother and daughter. Hypothetically, a Gamera film could maybe have a mother/son dynamic.
We shouldn’t even go over what dynamic the film will go (human wise) since at this point, it is merely a dream. Hopefully it becomes a reality though.
Is it a crime to have fun with speculating and fantasizing?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Is it a crime to have fun with speculating and fantasizing?
Yes, but not one we can enforce beyond the general punishment of calling you out on it in the hope you'll become rehabilitated. :P

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

I hope we see him one day... I really do.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

I just don’t see how people can accept a flying turtle who breathes plasma fireballs, does gymnastics and plays a mean xylophone.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MrRockett wrote:I just don’t see how people can accept a flying turtle who breathes plasma fireballs, does gymnastics and plays a mean xylophone.
Showa and Heisei Gamera are both 2 different stories all together.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LegendZilla wrote:
MrRockett wrote:I just don’t see how people can accept a flying turtle who breathes plasma fireballs, does gymnastics and plays a mean xylophone.
Showa and Heisei Gamera are both 2 different stories all together.
Meh, the original Showa film is just as, if not much more serious in tone than every Heisei Gamera film, but I get what you mean.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

I’m having fun here...because they are all fantastical monsters...a 3 headed dragon that has lightning breath...etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Same way they accept a three headed space dragon who shoots lightning, a radioactive skyscraper sized dinosaur who breathes radioactive laser beams, and an overgrown moth who can fight either one of those two?
As long as it looks good people won't care.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Hey don't forget the most of all yo!

A talking gun-trotting raccoon and humanoid tree!

Or a wolf that glides!
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun May 19, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I don't think Marvel counts here, since most of what's been done in the MCU is complete fantasy and a far cry from what the Monsterverse has aimed for in the past 5 years.

Plus both GotG and Rampage, specifically more so Rampage, played up the comedy and upped the fun factor to max while diminishing it's story and themes .

The Monsterverse while touching on elements such as extraterrestrial life and the Hollow Earth theory, keep it a lot more uniform and science-based. It's Pseudo-realism with touches of the fantastical (within the realm of believability and homaging what's come before)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun May 19, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira