Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505

Would you like to see Mechagodzilla?

Yes
37
63%
No
22
37%
 
Total votes: 59

User avatar
JGAR
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3067
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 am
Location: Gotham City, Gotham

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby JGAR » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 am

^No one will say that :lol: :roll:

Mecha-Godzilla predates both of them and not only that; we don’t know how they’ll adapt him on film. Even if it’s a mech similar to Pacific Rim (which out of the 3 is the most deserving of being called a rip off), it won’t matter because they already did that approach with Mecha G in the Heisei and Millenium era.
Last edited by JGAR on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

Thunderbird
Samurai
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Thunderbird » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:01 am

JGAR wrote: both films flopped (with the first one being a success).


ROFL

User avatar
JGAR
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3067
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 am
Location: Gotham City, Gotham

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby JGAR » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:07 am

Thunderbird wrote:
JGAR wrote: both films flopped (with the first one being a success).


ROFL


Did you just change what I wrote?

Image
Yooo 8-)

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6051
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:09 am

JGAR wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:
JGAR wrote: both films flopped (with the first one being a success).


ROFL


Did you just change what I wrote?

Image


He took it out of context and ignored the main part of your post, that the first was successful in China.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Thunderbird
Samurai
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Thunderbird » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:11 am

JGAR wrote:Mecha-Godzilla predates both of them.


If the GA remembers Toho's Mecha G at all, they will inevitably make comparisons between a new CGI version that battles Godzilla and the CGI Jaegers battling kaiju in PR. They won't care about the history of the character. Their first impression of Mecha G in action will likely be "Oh, this is like that other robot movie".

Added in 2 minutes 4 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
JGAR wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:
ROFL


Did you just change what I wrote?

Image


He took it out of context and ignored the main part of your post, that the first was successful in China.


Flop and success can never be attributed to the same subject. Those are absolutes.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6051
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:14 am

Thunderbird wrote:
JGAR wrote:Mecha-Godzilla predates both of them.


If the GA remembers Toho's Mecha G at all, they will inevitably make comparisons between a new CGI version that battles Godzilla and the CGI Jaegers battling kaiju in PR. They won't care about the history of the character. Their first impression of Mecha G in action will likely be "Oh, this is like that other robot movie".

Added in 2 minutes 4 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
JGAR wrote:
Did you just change what I wrote?

Image


He took it out of context and ignored the main part of your post, that the first was successful in China.


Flop and success can never be attributed to the same subject. Those are absolutes.


Sure when you take them out of context. He clearly said it was a flop in the states, but the first was a success in China. Maybe his wording could have been a bit better, but his point was still clear.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Thunderbird
Samurai
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Thunderbird » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:22 am

Maritonic wrote: his wording could have been a bit better


Hence the laughter.

PR recouped its costs and profited just enough to risk a sequel. Legit flops earn below cost and never spawn sequels under any circumstances.

User avatar
JGAR
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3067
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 am
Location: Gotham City, Gotham

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby JGAR » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:35 am

The film flopped everywhere except in China. On a budget of $190M, a $410M worldwide total is, at best, a modest hit. Getting a sequel greenlit was a huge risk since there just wasn’t any appeal outside of Chinese audiences (who didn’t come back to see the sequel). Pacific Rim just didn’t capture audiences.

Godzilla, on the other hand, has the name recognition and legacy, and the divisive 2014 film still pulled in $100M+ more on a lower budget than the ‘critically acclaimed’ Pacific Rim. It made a bit less in China, but that was because Transformers: Age of Extinction came out 2 weeks later and occupied 95% of all Chinese cinemas at the time.

And on topic, whether you want to believe it or not, a Mecha-Godzilla is just more appealing than anything out of Pacific Rim. The concept of an evil, robotic version of Godzilla is more exciting, similar to comparing Venom to Spider-Man for example. Audiences won’t be complaining about a rip off, because if you look closely at many of the major blockbusters currently in theaters and in recent years, they’re all borrowing plot elements from each other. Beams in the skies, cinematic universes, more female protagonists, rightful heirs fighting for the throne (Black Panther >The Lion King >Aquaman), and no one is complaining about it.
Last edited by JGAR on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yooo 8-)

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6051
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 am

Granted there are always a handful of blissfully ignorant people, but there is no way the bulk of audiences are going to see a Mechagodzilla and react with "rip off!". I can't fathom that. The concept of Mechagodzilla is pretty well known in pop culture.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Thunderbird
Samurai
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Thunderbird » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:11 am

JGAR wrote:On a budget of $190M, a $410M worldwide total is, at best, a modest hit.


Exactly. Not a flop.

Flops lose money for studios and for investors. PR clearly did not.

Regardless, in terms of capturing audience interest, monsters vs mechs is played out thanks to PR. If Jaegers didn't bring them back a second time, a Jaeger shaped like a dinosaur won't either.

User avatar
jayson
Yojimbo
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby jayson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:58 am

It seems that the argument for people that want MechaGodzilla is to just add him because they like him while throwing logic out the window. As I said before, I'd love to see the metal doppelganger but it just doesn't make sense. If you continue the movies past 2020, are you saying that they should jump a hundred years (more likely 300+ based on reality) just to fit what people want?

Also I don't know how old most of you are but when Godzilla vs Destroyah was released in Japan, Western fans and non fans alike could actually hear about it on regular news and news papers as it was a pretty big deal and "Godzilla dies" was a common headline. I even saved one of the news clippings!

As a child we had the Hanna Barbara show which is what introduced me to Godzilla along with my Mattel Shogun warriors toys. During that time up until now, western releases of comic books, toys, video games, t- shirts, tv showings and home video to name a few, has been done to keep recognition alive and to that extent the universe surrounding him. Destroyah isn't that obscure imo.

Shin Gabara
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:33 pm
Location: Host's Forebrain

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Shin Gabara » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Did folks scream "RIPOFF!" at RPO's MechaGodzilla?
. . .

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13909
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:20 pm

jayson wrote:Also I don't know how old most of you are but when Godzilla vs Destroyah was released in Japan, Western fans and non fans alike could actually hear about it on regular news and news papers as it was a pretty big deal and "Godzilla dies" was a common headline. I even saved one of the news clippings!


But that didn't have anything to do with Destoroyah itself (just like the movie!). It was a big deal that Godzilla died for real, which is what made headlines.

Destoroyah is a niche kaiju. Very niche. It's nowhere near the same level of recognition as Mothra, Rodan, or even King Ghidorah. Sure, it makes headlines on fandom news sites but that really isn't the level of recognition most people here seem to think it is.
Image

Thunderbird
Samurai
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Thunderbird » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
jayson wrote:Also I don't know how old most of you are but when Godzilla vs Destroyah was released in Japan, Western fans and non fans alike could actually hear about it on regular news and news papers as it was a pretty big deal and "Godzilla dies" was a common headline. I even saved one of the news clippings!


But that didn't have anything to do with Destoroyah itself (just like the movie!). It was a big deal that Godzilla died for real, which is what made headlines.


Nope, Jayson is right. CNN named and described Destroyah in their coverage of that film's release, featured him prominently and sold him as an end boss in their newscast via footage of the final battle. You never saw enemy kaijus like Mechagodzilla, Orga, Gigan, etc get that kind of international exposure. Ever.
Last edited by Thunderbird on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6051
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:52 pm

I really hope Kong vs. Godzilla is the MonsterVerse endgame, personally. But I'm likely the only one.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13909
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Thunderbird wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
jayson wrote:Also I don't know how old most of you are but when Godzilla vs Destroyah was released in Japan, Western fans and non fans alike could actually hear about it on regular news and news papers as it was a pretty big deal and "Godzilla dies" was a common headline. I even saved one of the news clippings!


But that didn't have anything to do with Destoroyah itself (just like the movie!). It was a big deal that Godzilla died for real, which is what made headlines.


Nope, Jayson is right. CNN named and described Destroyah in their coverage of that film's release, featured him prominently and sold him as an end boss in their newscast via footage of the final battle. You never saw enemy kaijus like Mechagodzilla, Orga, Gigan, etc get that kind of international exposure. Ever.


Would love a source for this. Sounds interesting.
Image

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6051
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Shin Gabara
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:33 pm
Location: Host's Forebrain

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Shin Gabara » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Maritonic wrote:I really hope Kong vs. Godzilla is the MonsterVerse endgame, personally. But I'm likely the only one.


No, same here. I'm eager to see what Toho themselves are gonna do.
. . .

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13909
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Maritonic wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMR5UFkMdL0


Yeah, sorry. This in no way features Destoroyah "prominently" nor does it paint him as an "end boss". They mention him when describing the film's plot and link him more with the Oxygen Destroyer than as his own separate monster.

Like I said, it focuses more on the impact of Godzilla's death and the process behind his last film.

And even if it did feature Destoroyah in the way you claimed it would, you're bonkers if you think the GA is going to remember them because of a few news segments and features from more than two decades ago.
Image

User avatar
Moogabunga
G-Grasper
Posts: 1439
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Postby Moogabunga » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Maritonic wrote:I really hope Kong vs. Godzilla is the MonsterVerse endgame, personally. But I'm likely the only one.

Why? i don't get this rush or desire that Toho fanboys have to make Godzilla fall into obscurity again


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rhedosaurus and 5 guests