Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Would you like to see Mechagodzilla?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 59

jayson
Samurai

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Post by jayson »

Going against the majority and saying no, even though I would love to see Mecha G realized in all his CG glory.

The issue is how do we get from the tech we have now, to approximately a hundred years of technological trial and error, to creating a robot or mech the size of Godzilla that functions properly?

I get that people will say it's a monster movie and go with it but that just doesn't make sense in the Legendary universe.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Assuming GKOTM and GVK are big enough hits, end the last movie with a pre credits scene where Monarch officials are headed down a hall as they discuss how to co-exist with the Titans...one official makes a statement to coach carter
MO“you remember when I said we were well funded with tech nobody has seen before?”
CC“Sure”
MO“Did you ever see the movie Pacific Rim?”
CC “Yeah, took my kid to see it...why?”
MO “Believe it or not It gave us an idea...”

Go through a door into a massive hangar and we see the head of MG

End

There you have your MG tease and PAC Rim crossover....LOL

Just a fun and improbable thought...
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

jayson wrote:Going against the majority and saying no, even though I would love to see Mecha G realized in all his CG glory.

The issue is how do we get from the tech we have now, to approximately a hundred years of technological trial and error, to creating a robot or mech the size of Godzilla that functions properly?

I get that people will say it's a monster movie and go with it but that just doesn't make sense in the Legendary universe.
I feel the same way. I would be annoyed all movie that people didn't bother or think to build something more.. practical. I would roll with it if MechaG was a product of alien technology, maybe.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

MrRockett wrote:Assuming GKOTM and GVK are big enough hits, end the last movie with a pre credits scene where Monarch officials are headed down a hall as they discuss how to co-exist with the Titans...one official makes a statement to coach carter
MO“you remember when I said we were well funded with tech nobody has seen before?”
CC“Sure”
MO“Did you ever see the movie Pacific Rim?”
CC “Yeah, took my kid to see it...why?”
MO “Believe it or not It gave us an idea...”

Go through a door into a massive hangar and we see the head of MG

End

There you have your MG tease and PAC Rim crossover....LOL

Just a fun and improbable thought...
Definitely improbable, on a creative front because Mechagodzilla is too big of a technological leap to introduce in a present day setting, and financially because the Pacific Rim sequel tanked at the box office so no one wants to saddle Godzilla 3 with another kaiju vs mecha scenario.

I love Mechagodzilla but the timing is terrible.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

I'm down with it. Not only is he well known and fits the man vs nature narrative, but he works as a worthwhile threat power level wise as well for Godzilla and Kong to team up against, seeing as in past versions Godzilla has needed help from King Caeser and Rodan to take him down. He's up there in the top 4 of Godzilla's most powerful enemies with Ghidorah, Destoroyah, and SpaceG.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Thunderbird wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:I want big bad Des to be the final villain.
This.

Mechagodzilla and Mechanikong vs their organic counterparts ties in with a technological "human conspiracy" plot, but...

A kaiju created in a lab a la Jurassic World for the sole purpose of DESTROYING Godzilla and Kong would be much more fun.
You did see my full post, right?
Rhedosaurus wrote:As much as I'd like to see the Godzillaverse last much longer, if Mechagodzilla the final villain, then I will be perfectly OK with it.

However, if Legendary/WB (they'll help Legendary extend the rights) manages to extend the rights, then I want big bad Des to be the final villain.
My main problem with making Des the final villain for GvK is that if you use him, but yet the rights get extended, then it's going to hard to make most other kaiju as powerful. You might be able to get away with Biollante and Mechagodzilla, but all the others, not so much. Des is too special to use in a situatiton that is too early to tell if it's early or on time.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Although I wouldn’t complain if MG made an appearance in the MV, I do doubt it, and personally I’d prefer either another existing kaiju, like Destroyah or Hedorah, or a new kaiju.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

Rhedosaurus wrote: You did see my full post, right?
If you use him, but yet the rights get extended, then it's going to hard to make most other kaiju as powerful.
Legendary already put themselves in that bind by featuring Ghidorah in the second film of their trilogy.

Given that we have no evidence that Godzilla will be present in the Monsterverse beyond his trilogy, and Toho has announced their own new Godzilla film series, I'm inclined to believe Legendary's rights are up and it's now or never for a Toho big bad to appear in GvK.

I also think it's less likely that MG's appearance in Ready Player One hints at an MV debut. I also doubt that Dougherty is merely funnin' the fandom with his repeated Oxygen Destroyer references.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Good to see some of the people who repeatedly mocked me for suggesting MG would be a likely future opponent saying things like "well now that I think about it, yeah sure!"

Lol, what changed? Besides somebody other than me saying it, of course.

MG was practically a no-brainer from the beginning and yes, he is a prime candidate for a "final boss" since Legendary is never going to waste money on a monster as obscure as Destoroyah.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

The only way I see this working as a plot point is if humanity creates some sort of bio-organic nano tech for the medical field for amputees, heart failures etc. It ends up "evolving" or something and becomes some uncontrollable monster that can take the form of anything it wants, so we could see it look like Godzilla at one point, but it's not Mecha Godzilla the entire time. I don't know, but that feels a lot more realistic than humanity creating a giant robot that looks like Godzilla just for the hell of it. Plus, it harps on the whole man vs nature thing and Godzilla, once again, coming to the rescue.

I voted no, because in the traditional sense of Mecha Godzilla, I don't want to see that, I don't think it works for this universe. There are ways around it, and I could be okay with that.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

BARAGONBREH wrote: MG was practically a no-brainer from the beginning and yes, he is a prime candidate for a "final boss" since Legendary is never going to waste money on a monster as obscure as Destoroyah.
Legendary MG would be revolutionary if audiences didn't already see Pacific Rim. The series isn't called Mechaverse.

And for an obscure monster, Destroyah makes headlines fairly easily. Even mere rumors about D go viral.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Thunderbird wrote: Legendary MG would be revolutionary if audiences didn't already see Pacific Rim.
lol Pacific Rim didn't invent the concept of giant robots.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

UltramanGoji wrote: lol Pacific Rim didn't invent the concept of giant robots.
Who made that claim?

PR already presented kaijus vs mechas twice within the last 5 years and basically saturated the market, as proven by Uprising's unimpressive returns.

Not the best time to pitch yet another monsters vs mechs scenario to general audiences.

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

I hardly view Destoroyah as ‘obscure’. Maybe if this was any time between 1996-2012 or so, sure. But since 2014, Godzilla has had a huge renaissance and people have been checking out the back catalogue, reading up on the history, seeing various merchandise in stores, etc. He’s nowhere near the household name in the likes of Rodan and Mothra, but he IS known.

I just don’t like the idea of a Monsterverse Mechagodzilla, tbh...I know Monarch has new technologies and whatnot, but a 300+ foot tall robot seems rather far fetched for a series that totes being more grounded in reality. An organic mutation, or possible genetic abnormality (if that after-credit scene is correct), is more likely I feel. But honestly who really knows. If they continue the Monsterverse after 2020, I’m sure they’ll include as much as possible, especially a Mechagodzilla.
Audience Member:"What are your thoughts on the Godzilla gijinkas?"
Michael Dougherty:"............I have no idea what that is. Next question."
(Yes, this actually happened)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'd be happy to just get Masers. Bonus points for ASTOL, the maser jets. Maybe get maser copters. Oh how about the maser shuttles that were scrapped.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

^ That is something I wanna see. Space-based Maser cannons. That's how you introduce super-science into the MV.
. . .

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Thunderbird wrote:
Who made that claim?

PR already presented kaijus vs mechas twice within the last 5 years and basically saturated the market, as proven by Uprising's unimpressive returns.

Not the best time to pitch yet another monsters vs mechs scenario to general audiences.
How did it saturate the market? LOL both films flopped everywhere (with the first one being a success by the Transformers-fanatic China). There was no saturation whatsoever. And because Mecha-Godzilla could be involved, doesn’t mean that other mechs aside from Mecha-King Ghidorah will show up as well.
Yooo 8-)

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Thunderbird wrote:
Who made that claim?

They saturated the market with two movies five years apart from each other with little publicity and merchandise? Yeah, sure.

Anyway, I'd love to see MechaGodzilla. I think the best way to do it though, if the franchise continues past 2020, would be to introduce more and more advanced weaponry with each film, eventually leading up to MechaGodzilla.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Thunderbird wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote: MG was practically a no-brainer from the beginning and yes, he is a prime candidate for a "final boss" since Legendary is never going to waste money on a monster as obscure as Destoroyah.
Legendary MG would be revolutionary if audiences didn't already see Pacific Rim. The series isn't called Mechaverse.
Who cares if it's "revolutionary" or not? Why do you think that many people have seen - or at least remember seeing - Pacific Rim? Why compare the two at all? Why do you think MechaGodzilla would have to be at all similar to a conventional, human-controlled mech like that? It's weird how you managed to type only two sentences and still express so much ambiguity.
And for an obscure monster, Destroyah makes headlines fairly easily. Even mere rumors about D go viral.
Maybe in your little corner of the Internet, but "viral" rumors on ComicsAndJapaneseStuffClickBaitNews.com don't receive any attention from most of the world. Do you really think more people know about Destoroyah than MechaGodzilla?
Na, Uprising's unimpressive returns were because 1. it was a bad movie and 2. it was a sequel to a bad movie. The way to avoid a similar fate would be to make a non-bad movie.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

If modern audiences forgot about Pacific Rim, they'll forget about Mechagodzilla. Let's cancel the Monsterverse since general audiences haven't memorized each and every trademarked Toho kaiju from the past. No more Godzilla movies at all until Gezora is a household name first. :D

Not only do people remember Pacific Rim and Transformers, they'll shout ripoff as soon as they see Mecha G try to punch Godzilla. They'll be wrong but it won't matter.