Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Would you like to see Mechagodzilla?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 59

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Post by Maritonic »

Moogabunga wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I really hope Kong vs. Godzilla is the MonsterVerse endgame, personally. But I'm likely the only one.
Why? i don't get this rush or desire that Toho fanboys have to make Godzilla fall into obscurity again
And I don't get the labeling me as a Toho fanboy. Especially when my "why" wasn't explained.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Tbh while I would love for the Monsterverse to continue (and I still hope it will), I won't mind if it won't either. I would rather have a solid, well built quadrilogy than an MCU style oversaturated mess.

If they do continue it tho, I would prefer if they introduced MechaG much later on and give it a gradual build-up- each new movie has better technology and weapons being developed.

In the end of the day, it all depends on how well KOTM and GvK will do. Nothing stops them from renewing the license.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dv-218 wrote:Tbh while I would love for the Monsterverse to continue (and I still hope it will), I won't mind if it won't either. I would rather have a solid, well built quadrilogy than an MCU style oversaturated mess.
Yup. My desire for the MonsterVerse to end has literally nothing to do with Toho. I'm not going to be upset if it continues, but I personally like things to quit while they're ahead rather than risk tarnishing what good they've done already with crappy content. Not saying this is inherently the case but it's definitely a possibility. I'd rather have 4 solid films, end it on a super high that we know they will never top, and walk off into the sunset. Out with a bang, not a whimper. But, that's just me. There is always the chance that they'll pull something outta their sleeves and make something even more amazing post-Kong vs. Godzilla.

But guess I'm just a Toho fanboy that wants godzilla to go back to obscurity or something.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Maritonic wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:Tbh while I would love for the Monsterverse to continue (and I still hope it will), I won't mind if it won't either. I would rather have a solid, well built quadrilogy than an MCU style oversaturated mess.
Yup. My desire for the MonsterVerse to end has literally nothing to do with Toho. I'm not going to be upset if it continues, but I personally like things to quit while they're ahead rather than risk tarnishing what good they've done already with crappy content. Not saying this is inherently the case but it's definitely a possibility. I'd rather have 4 solid films, end it on a super high that we know they will never top, and walk off into the sunset. Out with a bang, not a whimper. But, that's just me. There is always the chance that they'll pull something outta their sleeves and make something even more amazing post-Kong vs. Godzilla.

But guess I'm just a Toho fanboy that wants godzilla to go back to obscurity or something.
It's always absolutes in this fanbase :lol:

Yeah, I pretty much fully agree with you here. I guess it's one of those things that we just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dv-218 wrote: Yeah, I pretty much fully agree with you here. I guess it's one of those things that we just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Yup. No matter what, we all win far as I'm concerned. We're getting more Godzilla regardless.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think the only thing keeping me from wanting the MonsterVerse to end is the prospect of more Toho kaiju in Hollywood films with big budget effects.

I don't care if it's pathetically nostalgia-baiting, that's something I've wanted to see for years.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:I think the only thing keeping me from wanting the MonsterVerse to end is the prospect of more Toho kaiju in Hollywood films with big budget effects.

I don't care if it's pathetically nostalgia-baiting, that's something I've wanted to see for years.
No, fair, I agree that would be pretty awesome to see. And I should be clear that this isn't some burning desire I have. It's just what I would pick given the two options. But like I said in my other post, i wouldn't be upset in the slightest if they signed on for more films.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Maritonic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I think the only thing keeping me from wanting the MonsterVerse to end is the prospect of more Toho kaiju in Hollywood films with big budget effects.

No, fair, I agree that would be pretty awesome to see. And I should be clear that this isn't some burning desire I have. It's just what I would pick given the two options. But like I said in my other post, i wouldn't be upset in the slightest if they signed on for more films.
Completely agreed with both posts. At the end of the day, it's a win-win.

If they do continue it, I would definitely wait with introducing Mechas though.

jayson
Samurai

Post by jayson »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Yeah, sorry. This in no way features Destoroyah "prominently" nor does it paint him as an "end boss". They mention him when describing the film's plot and link him more with the Oxygen Destroyer than as his own separate monster.

Like I said, it focuses more on the impact of Godzilla's death and the process behind his last film.

And even if it did feature Destoroyah in the way you claimed it would, you're bonkers if you think the GA is going to remember them because of a few news segments and features from more than two decades ago.

That was a different clip from the one I watched here in Canada. Nice to see!

UltramanGoji, that seems like quite a disingenuous response on your part.
How does a news clip that features Destroyah, names him and shows him in multiple forms not feature him prominently? It feels like your response was intentionally dismissive because you'd rather not accept that valid proof of a claim was presented to you in a way that was hard to refute. He's clearly his own seperate monster because they actually show him as a monster... several times. They also mention that this monster would be the one tied to Godzillas second death. I'm not sure what more you'd need?
I'm also not concerned with general audiences. How popular was the MUTO? Did fans know what they were? Would a monster like Destroyah have more popularity or recognition than them? Has Destroyah ever been featured in any video games, toys or comics since that one appearance?
I get it, you want MechaGodzilla regardless if it makes sense so who knows? Maybe they'll s**t the bed and give you MG anyway and throw out the groundwork for the Legendary franchise. Anything is possible.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

jayson wrote: How does a news clip that features Destroyah, names him and shows him in multiple forms not feature him prominently?
Because the general focus of the news clip is about Godzilla's death and the process of making the film. It's not about Destoroyah beyond the explanation for the film's premise. Clips of his suit being worked on behind the scenes =/= being the focus. It's B-roll footage used to make the news report interesting.

That's the whole fucking point of this stupid debate: people are claiming that Destoroyah is some well-known Godzilla enemy and their only proof is that he was featured in niche comics, niche video games, and a few news reports from twenty fucking years ago. I don't know why the hell this devolved from a discussion about Mechagodzilla but it did and that's what I'm trying to refute.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I think something akin to Berserk or Anime Mechagodzilla would be a plausable way to introduce Mechagodzilla. I'd personally go the Berserk route and have something, either an alien life form or A.I technology gone awry, gradually evolve and take on the form of Godzilla. Like others have said, it's a pretty tremendous leap in tech going from modern-day military equipment to a giant robot Godzilla. The Toho tech I'd expect to come out of the MonsterVerse is relatively tame stuff like Masers and maybe the Super-X.
Last edited by Breakdown on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

jayson wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Yeah, sorry. This in no way features Destoroyah "prominently" nor does it paint him as an "end boss". They mention him when describing the film's plot and link him more with the Oxygen Destroyer than as his own separate monster.

Like I said, it focuses more on the impact of Godzilla's death and the process behind his last film.

And even if it did feature Destoroyah in the way you claimed it would, you're bonkers if you think the GA is going to remember them because of a few news segments and features from more than two decades ago.

That was a different clip from the one I watched here in Canada. Nice to see!

UltramanGoji, that seems like quite a disingenuous response on your part.
How does a news clip that features Destroyah, names him and shows him in multiple forms not feature him prominently? It feels like your response was intentionally dismissive because you'd rather not accept that valid proof of a claim was presented to you in a way that was hard to refute. He's clearly his own seperate monster because they actually show him as a monster... several times. They also mention that this monster would be the one tied to Godzillas second death. I'm not sure what more you'd need?
I'm also not concerned with general audiences. How popular was the MUTO? Did fans know what they were? Would a monster like Destroyah have more popularity or recognition than them? Has Destroyah ever been featured in any video games, toys or comics since that one appearance?
I get it, you want MechaGodzilla regardless if it makes sense so who knows? Maybe they'll s**t the bed and give you MG anyway and throw out the groundwork for the Legendary franchise. Anything is possible.
Jayson beat me to it and said it perfectly. The clip that I saw was also different from that link.

Destroyah was brought up because someone preferred to see him rather than Mecha G as Legendary's final boss, and I agreed.

Debating Destroyah's fame is ludicrous. Most of Toho's pantheon aren't known brands to begin with. Like I said, let's cancel the Monsterverse until Ebirah makes the cover of Vanity Fair, right? :D

Destroyah's return would make him a star if Legendary deemed it fit.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Thunderbird wrote: Destroyah's return would make him a star if Legendary deemed it fit.
I don't disagree with that at all. I'm just saying beforehand? It wouldn't be that big of a deal to anyone but Godzilla fans.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Did the GA have any clue who Frodo was prior to December 2001?
. . .

jayson
Samurai

Post by jayson »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Thunderbird wrote: Destroyah's return would make him a star if Legendary deemed it fit.
I don't disagree with that at all. I'm just saying beforehand? It wouldn't be that big of a deal to anyone but Godzilla fans.
To be fair, are any of the monsters really recognizable to audiences outside of Godzilla fandom?

I would imagine asking a random person to name a monster Godzilla has fought, and my guess is the majority response would be King Kong, maybe Mothra?. And Kongs not even a Toho creation.

Also, I want to point out that I'm not advocating for Destroyah, and am fine with whatever monster they decide on, including new monsters... barring anything "mecha"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

jayson wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
To be fair, are any of the monsters really recognizable to audiences outside of Godzilla fandom?
Yeah. Mothra, Rodan, Mechagodzilla (not exactly by name but you will hear something along the lines of "Mega Godzilla"). All three of these are pretty big and have been referenced numerous times in popular media.

But again, the whole argument was that Destoroyah was up there with these kaiju and it's just not. Nowhere close. If it was made the star of a major Hollywood picture it would probably rise up there to join them. But until that happens, it's gonna be a niche, obscure kaiju outside of the fandom.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Shin Gabara wrote:Did the GA have any clue who Frodo was prior to December 2001?
Yeah. They did. A LOT of them did. Lord of the Rings has been popular a very long time. Even Led Zeppelin had songs referencing the story.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

A better analogy would be anyone knowing who Thanos or Loki were prior to their on-screen debuts. Loki was generally well-known among Marvel fans but the GA still associated him with mythology pre-2011.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

UltramanGoji wrote: But again, the whole argument was that Destoroyah was up there with these kaiju.
Uhhh, wrong again. No one claimed that Destroyah was as top tier as Mothra.

The best comparison would be Doomsday. Superman and Godzilla both died in the 90's and the media hype regarding their demise (along with the villains designed to kill them) was very similar.

People also seem to forget that Destroyah was a legitimate hit movie. It was the last "VS" film from Toho to score a huge audience. Mechagodzilla's 70's films and the Kiryu saga combined don't hold a candle to Destroyah's box office.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

You're all stupid and rude.