Rant: MCU/DCU/JW Comparisons

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
tenup
JXSDF Technician

Re: Rant: MCU/DCU/JW Comparisons

Postby tenup » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:24 pm

He's Right! And I agree that Godzilla and the genre as a whole should not be paralleled with hero flicks in any way. Oh and the comparisons to Godzilla with Batman and Ghidorah with Joker are the most irritating imo.

Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent

Postby Rhedosaurus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:58 pm

Ummm...Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Godzilla basically a superhero in the movies made in the mid 1960s-1970's?

Even his powers in the Heisei, Millennium, and this new Legendary series are those that superheroes would have.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:09 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I hate every single comparison of the legendary Godzilla series to every single modern super hero movie and big budget extravaganza. This goes for not only commenters of the internet at large, but also every single one of you on TK.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I disagree. Obviously it's never going to be (or ever should be) 1:1 but when discussing these films people are going to want to talk about them in context with other recently films, and the franchises most similar to the MonsterVerse ARE the Marvel and DC cinematic universes. They just are. They're the only contemporary things we CAN compare them to.

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I realized the reason why I’m so annoyed by this is I actually realized how much of a breath of fresh air these movies are in contrast to the big super hero trend. Like I realied one of the reasons why G14 and KOTM excite me, is that they’re some of the few big budget sci-fi films that aren’t the same old stuff again. To be clear, this thread isn’t even a criticism of the MCU, but it’s saying why the comparisons need to stop.

I mean, I agree that these movies are a great breath of fresh air...but that's very much WHY I like to compare/contrast the MonsterVerse films with the MCU and DCEU. MCU and DCEU are the only things even remotely similar, and yet the MonsterVerse is SO different. It shows that the MCU model isn't the only way, but at the same we still should hold up the MonsterVerse films to the MCU yardstick because the MCU is further along and it'll help us gauge where Legendary/WB/Toho are with these films.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:15 pm

However different a kaiju movie might be in substance and nature from a superhero movie, the MV specifically is part of the ongoing cinematic universe trend, so it is natural to discuss it in relation to the other ones. Furthermore, both kaiju and superheroes are a part of nerd culture generally, and many of us here are fans with both. It’s just kind of inevitable in that sense that they will wind up in the same breath from time to time.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Well, it was inevitable that an article like this was made.

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-kong-monsterverse-batman-superman-dceu-mistakes/

Gojira18
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira18 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:44 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:Well, it was inevitable that an article like this was made.

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-kong-monsterverse-batman-superman-dceu-mistakes/

At least it's being compared favorably to BvS

Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent

Postby Rhedosaurus » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Gojira18 wrote:

Which was ineviable since BvS was just 'meh' at best. It also hasn't aged well.

Shoopwoop17
Yojimbo

Postby Shoopwoop17 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:43 pm

Go back six years and tell any of us that GVK will be compared to BVS, we would be freaking out. I think its pretty cool that Godzilla is getting up there with Superman. At least as far as movie journalism goes.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm only concerned that KotM & GvK will end up like BvS...because BvS was an absolute horrific mess that
was a complete failure on an almost God-like level.

Also...people are going to make comparisons because Legendary Pictures have created their own cinematic
universe...which let's be fair...wouldn't be happening if the MCU hadn't made ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD!!!

If the MonsterVerse can attain a tenth of the MCU's success...then I'd be happy with that.

Personally...people can make whatever comparisons they want...

I've heard people compare Bayonetta to Slender Man...

*Thinks*

At least physically...

Ugh...

:shock:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Grievous wrote:I'm only concerned that KotM & GvK will end up like BvS...because BvS was an absolute horrific mess that

Don't even compare that trainwreck of a universe known as the DCEU to the MonsterVerse. So far the MonsterVerse had been playing smart being its own thing. Just because they might team up doesn't mean it'll be like BvS. I'm sure Godzilla vs. Kong will be miles better then Batmurder vs. Emoman especially in terms of team-up.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira18
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira18 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Grievous wrote:I'm only concerned that KotM & GvK will end up like BvS...because BvS was an absolute horrific mess that

Also...people are going to make comparisons because Legendary Pictures have created their own cinematic
universe...which let's be fair...wouldn't be happening if the MCU hadn't made ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD!!!

If the MonsterVerse can attain a tenth of the MCU's success...then I'd be happy with that.

Personally...people can make whatever comparisons they want...

I've heard people compare Bayonetta to Slender Man...

*Thinks*

At least physically...

Ugh...

:shock:

To be fair, the MonsterVerse did get to the $1 billion mark with just two movies while the MCU took three. And the overall quality of the films have been better and more consistent than the DCEU films. So I'd say it's holding its own

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Gojira18 wrote:To be fair, the MonsterVerse did get to the $1 billion mark with just two movies while the MCU took three. And the overall quality of the films have been better and more consistent than the DCEU films. So I'd say it's holding its own

Excellent.

Nice positive comparisons...

:thumbsup:

Although in saying that the Human Centipede films
were more consistent than the DCEU...and those
are the films that will eventually see us destroyed
by an Alien race.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:37 am

Grievous wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:To be fair, the MonsterVerse did get to the $1 billion mark with just two movies while the MCU took three. And the overall quality of the films have been better and more consistent than the DCEU films. So I'd say it's holding its own

Excellent.

Nice positive comparisons...

:thumbsup:

I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a negative comparison between MonsterVerse and the others. When non-fans write articles comparing, it's usually been pretty glowing and in terms like "the MonsterVerse does right everything the DCEU/Dark Universe did wrong!"

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:43 am

Pkmatrix wrote:I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a negative comparison between MonsterVerse and the others. When non-fans write articles comparing, it's usually been pretty glowing and in terms like "the MonsterVerse does right everything the DCEU/Dark Universe did wrong!"

Which is a valid statement...so far.

Hopefully Legendary don't ruin their
good work with the next couple of films.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Postby Chris55 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:56 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:

It's only nearing 3 years. Not enough time has gone by for the "hasn't aged well" description I don't think.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:10 am

Chris55 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:At least it's being compared favorably to BvS

It's only nearing 3 years. Not enough time has gone by for the "hasn't aged well" description I don't think.

Yeah, I agree.

IMO, it's less that BvS "hasn't aged well" and more that the film was just never well-received in the first place. It was seen as "Meh" at best and "Awful" by most back when it was first released, and that remains true today too.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:04 am

https://observer.com/2018/12/marvel-kin ... ers-verse/

Short but interesting article. Kind of sums up what I’ve been loving about the the MV so far, which is the lack of a consistent tone. It’s a risky way to play things for sure, but I love the variety we’ve gotten so far, and seem to be continuing to get. Plus, whether you love or hate G14 and KSI, you can’t deny that either of those movies were the result of a director’s single vision. No ‘made by committee’ there.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:11 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:Plus, whether you love or hate G14 and KSI, you can’t deny that either of those movies were the result of a director’s single vision. No ‘made by committee’ there.

G14 went through a number of rewrites. Worth noting that Gilroy was brought in for another re-write, 3 years before him and Edwards would eventually work together again on the Rogue One re-shoots. There's even word that Gilroy did some G14 pick-up shoots (though I don't believe it as it all came after Rogue One was released.) The visuals and directing could certainly be attributed to Edwards but a lot of the dialogue is a mess and I think it's pretty evident just how many writers worked on the damn thing.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Plus, whether you love or hate G14 and KSI, you can’t deny that either of those movies were the result of a director’s single vision. No ‘made by committee’ there.

G14 went through a number of rewrites. Worth noting that Gilroy was brought in for another re-write, 3 years before him and Edwards would eventually work together again on the Rogue One re-shoots. There's even word that Gilroy did some G14 pick-up shoots (though I don't believe it as it all came after Rogue One was released.) The visuals and directing could certainly be attributed to Edwards but a lot of the dialogue is a mess and I think it's pretty evident just how many writers worked on the damn thing.

Perhaps, but I think the direction still takes over every other aspect. The movie does for me really feel like one, united vision.

zilla92
Yin-Yang Master

Postby zilla92 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 pm

I want one comparison. SUCCESS. I’d kill for the Monsterverse to own 2019 and 2020 beating out all the others. They’re all just fun movies and we should just enjoy the ride. This is a wonderful time to be alive. At least for this 42 year old kid. Lol

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Current)”