Godzilla Running

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Godzilla running

Looks Awesome
48%
Looks Stupid
11%
Will improve by the time the film is released
41%

Total votes: 100

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Godzilla Running

Post by Gojira18 »

For all the stuff the new trailer has going for it, the one thing that seems to split people down the middle once again is the Godzilla and Ghidorah charge at the last few shots. Some don't mind, others have their problems. I personally think this is kind of frustrating and especially jarring because the rest of the shots have the same gravitas and weight to them throughout the trailer. Here, it's just really jarring and imo, the CGI isn't strong enough to support it. But I want to know what you guys think. Keep it civil. Cheers! :D

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: Godzilla Running

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I voted ‘will improve’ but that’s more of a hope than a conviction. It would be nice if that was a sped up shot, as some people have been saying but idk I don’t think I can tell for sure. On the face, it is just a terrible shot.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Can there be a "I don't care, it looks fine" button?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

I'll need to watch it in slow motion, set to the music of Robert Unicorn Attack with disco balls in the background before I make any final determination. Science!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think it's logical to assume it will be touched up by release. If not, it's a dud shot but I think it looked alright. I never got the "weight and gravitas" criticisms, it doesn't look amazing by any stretch but it's certainly not as atrocious as many are making it out to be.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

99% sure that the footage was just sped up for the trailer.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I mean, even if it’s not, it’s not the end of the world. It’s just a few shots, and everything else we’ve seen from the movie looks great. It’s just it’s placement at the end of the trailer was so jarring. Like it’s weird they felt confident to put it there. But whatever, right now it seems like it’s the outlier in terms of how the kaiju move.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I mean, even if it’s not, it’s not the end of the world. It’s just a few shots, and everything else we’ve seen from the movie looks great. It’s just it’s placement at the end of the trailer was so jarring. Like it’s weird they felt confident to put it there. But whatever, right now it seems like it’s the outlier in terms of how the kaiju move.
Agreed. I mean, it's not like it can look any stranger than it did in Godzilla Raids Again or Mothra vs. Godzilla right?
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I mean, even if it’s not, it’s not the end of the world. It’s just a few shots, and everything else we’ve seen from the movie looks great. It’s just it’s placement at the end of the trailer was so jarring. Like it’s weird they felt confident to put it there. But whatever, right now it seems like it’s the outlier in terms of how the kaiju move.
Agreed. I mean, it's not like it can look any stranger than it did in Godzilla Raids Again or Mothra vs. Godzilla right?
Leave Godzilla Raids Again out of this.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Maritonic wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:
Leave Godzilla Raids Again out of this.
Sorry! I will!
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I really don't see the issue with the CGI that so many people here (any only here frankly) seem to have.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Kinda reminds me of PR:U wear in the trailers the Jaegers seemed weightless but in the actual movie they certainly improved on that and I think this seems to be the case here too
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
Wait, what? Godzilla doesn’t run in those, right? I know he fights kinda fast in GRA, but he doesn’t run, does he?

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:
Wait, what? Godzilla doesn’t run in those, right? I know he fights kinda fast in GRA, but he doesn’t run, does he?
No, I was talking about speeding up the footage.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that this running speed could work in the film. Just because Godzilla's got girth doesn't mean he can't move. Heck, being as old and intelligent as he is, I wouldn't be suprised if that run is a move he made up to take full advantage of his size, effectively turning his entire body into a battering ram. This would be especially reasonable if he's trying to knock Ghidorah of it's center of gravity (no pun intended) to get the upper in hand in a close quarters fight.
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

He must be able to run if he’s got a helluva jumpshot....
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

SG-17 wrote:I really don't see the issue with the CGI that so many people here (any only here frankly) seem to have.
I've seen and even linked to people ouside of "here" who've complained specifically about Sonic the Godzilla.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote: Agreed. I mean, it's not like it can look any stranger than it did in Godzilla Raids Again or Mothra vs. Godzilla right?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that this running speed could work in the film. Just because Godzilla's got girth doesn't mean he can't move. Heck, being as old and intelligent as he is, I wouldn't be suprised if that run is a move he made up to take full advantage of his size, effectively turning his entire body into a battering ram. This would be especially reasonable if he's trying to knock Ghidorah of it's center of gravity (no pun intended) to get the upper in hand in a close quarters fight.
That sounds reasonable. I just wouldn't want it to be like that the whole film. If it's just this one moment, where they hate each other so much they are compelled to really move it, that's fine.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:

That sounds reasonable. I just wouldn't want it to be like that the whole film. If it's just this one moment, where they hate each other so much they are compelled to really move it, that's fine.
Agreed. If they don't move that stupidly fast in the rest of the film and it's just a one time, enraged thing, then I can forgive it

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Looks awesome, seeing Godzilla move faster in this fight with King Ghidorah than with the MUTO shows how pissed off KG made him.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Imo just looks ok as of now. It did look a little iffy to me at first, but after watching it in better quality on Vimeo it's just fine. I agree that the movements are a little too fast, but the shot is clearly sped up for dramatic trailer effects- just look at the way the ligthing strikes and jets fly. It'll probably look much better, slower and natural in the actual movie. Or heck, it might not be in the movie at all (or it will be done in a different way). We'll see :)

As for the idea of Godzilla running....I mean why not? Especially if it's probably gonna be slower in the movie, and probably won't be near zilla levels lol. Nothing wrong with a Godzilla with a little more mobility- one of my favorite things about Legendary is how flexible and full of movement he is, which allows him to do more in fights than just standing and shooting beams. Why not expand further on that?
Imo it's actually pretty cool we get a more mobile Showa/Millenium esque Godzilla. Especially since the last incarnation was basically a walking statue :lol: