Titan Design Thread: Godzilla (2019)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Do You Think?

Love it!
88%
Hate it...
No votes
I liked 2014 better.
8%
Meh.
4%

Total votes: 77

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Titan Design Thread: Godzilla (2019)

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

The King of the Monsters is back and bigger and badder than ever before! Godzilla returns, this time sporting an updated design from his 2014 appearance. How do you feel about this? Do you like the new changes or do you thing they ruin the design? Let us know below!
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

zilla92
Monarch Researcher

Re: Titan Design Thread: Godzilla (2019)

Post by zilla92 »

I love the updated spines and the feet! The tail is different too I believe less whip like. Love everything about it! And oh those spines!

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

zilla92
Monarch Researcher

Post by zilla92 »

It’s perfection. Dougherty fixed all that was wrong with 2014’s and I thought that was near perfection and one of my all time favorite designs. 2019’s is truly what a Hollywood big budget Godzilla should be to me.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

zilla92 wrote:It’s perfection. Dougherty fixed all that was wrong with 2014’s and I thought that was near perfection and one of my all time favorite designs. 2019’s is truly what a Hollywood big budget Godzilla should be to me.
Agreed 100%. While I like the 2014 design, the update makes it look infinitly better- I absolutely love the bigger and more pronounced spines and claws. The tail is a pretty nice touch imo, I like how Toho-esque it is.

Overall, I think Dougherty might have created the definitive Hollywood Godzilla. A perfect blend between old and new.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Should have left the feet and tail alone. But spines and hands look better.

In other words, a couple things are worse than 2014 and a couple things are better. Overall, a totally neutral change - no better or worse.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Love the larger, more creative twist of the spines. Gives Godzilla even more character, I feel. The rounded tail tip looks great, too.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Meh. He's not "that" much different. If anything I don't see why they felt the need to give the tail a round tip. It was fine the way it was imo.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

I like everything but the texture of the dorsal fins. The shape is fine, but they seem to have this craggy, rock-like texture that sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
GO GO GOJI KUN

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

I'm very conservative about the original look. I would like a more classic muzzle and small ears (at least something that would mimic the shape of small ears).

And, of course, a little bigger head. Predators have large heads due to their powerful jaws (crocodiles, big cats, dinosaurs, birds of prey). The legendary Goji reminds me of a sauropod, or a chicken ... A sturdy neck with a small head on top.

I'm not saying he's ugly, actually he's fine! Beautiful, powerful, majestic. But that isn't the "definitive design" for me.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I really dig the dorsal fins. One of my most minor complaints about the dorsal fins from G14 is that they were just sorta there, small and unmemorable. I suppose people can assume, if a direct answer isn’t given, that Godzilla’s spines grew or changed after sleeping and recovering with his fight with the Muto.like the atomic beam awakened him. Godzilla designs slightly (or drastically) changing in the same continuinity has never been a big issue.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

After having some time to look it over I really love it, people have been making a huge deal about the feet even though al they did was splay the toes out. The spines took me a little while to get used to but all in all I really like them.

I still think I liked the old design better so I'm not sure whether I should vote for I love it or I liked the old one better
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I think he looks better than 2014. This is my favorite look for the MonsterVerse Godzilla.

Classic tail, classic feet, classic '54 dorsal plates..... it's badass.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I think he looks better than 2014. This is my favorite look for the MonsterVerse Godzilla.

Classic tail, classic feet, classic '54 dorsal plates..... it's badass.
I agree with this. Imo the 2014 design was fine, but I didn't like the small and triangular fins. Glad to see they changed them to look bigger and more classic. I like the fact that he has bigger arms too, and that his gills are less apperant and more tucked to his body.
Imo this design keeps the best qualities of the first one, so the updates don't feel out of place.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Definite improvement. The original design was perfectly fine but the rather generic GINO-esque spines weren't quite Godzilla-like enough for my tastes. These are much better. If I have one complaint its still the color of the spines. Godzilla's spines have always been silver or bone colored, it helped to make them stand out more against Godzilla's dark skin. Made them pop a little more. It's more a nitpick than anything but its still something that annoys me a little.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I was never bothered by the feet on the original, however, I do like the new design of the feet better. The dorsal spines are a MAJOR improvement for me. I was very disappointed how small, generic, and insignificant the originals were. The head has also been slightly enlarged as has the eyes. I'm very happy with the changes!
Last edited by Gojira1963 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I really liked the 2014 design, but the feet did annoy me a bit. This slightly upgraded version really does improve the design. Not much I can say otherwise.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

What can I really say about his new design? They took what was already one of my favorite designs and improved it even further. They just made him come closer to competing with Heisei Godzilla as my favorite look for the character.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

I really like the new spines and feet, but one thing I don't like is the shorter tail. I liked the whiplike tail of 2014. All in all, an awesome design.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

They improved on what was almost an already perfect design, So no complaints from me. Love the updated spines they look so much better, the feet are also a big improvement but I didn't really mind the 2014 feet.
An the tail is so minor, but it's also a nice improvement.

That being said this is possibly the perfect Godzilla design, pretty much rivaling ''Godzilla vs Biollante'' which has held that title for quite a while.