Titan Design Thread: Mothra

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Do You Think?

Love it!
70%
Hate it...
5%
Meh.
25%

Total votes: 93

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Titan Design Thread: Mothra

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Behold! The Queen Of The Monsters, the beautiful moth goddess Mothra has finally been revealed! Discuss everything about her design here. How do you feel about the first ever American Mothra? Do you like it, do you hate it? Here’s the place to talk about it.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: Titan Design Thread: Mothra

Post by KaijuCanuck »

There should be an 'unsure' or 'mixed' option maybe? That's how I'm feeling about the design at least.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Hmmm...

;)

Admin edit: DO NOT POST LEAKED IMAGES
Last edited by GodEmperorGabara on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

When details about the design began to surface I was a little mixed, but now after seeing it in clear detail I actually like it. Not as much as the others, but it's still a pretty decent design. It's definitely the most radical one, but imo it works in this case. The body and legs are gonna take time to get used to, but I dig the wings and coloring.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

I feel like I’m the only one bothered by here
abdomen legs…

Also interesting to note they were a part of her design since that sketch.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I feel like I’m the only one bothered by here
thorax legs…

Don’t you mean abdomen legs?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

LegendZilla wrote:
thorax legs…

Don’t you mean abdomen legs?
Huh, guess I've always had the two mixed up for years. yeah I mean abdomen legs, the bother me.

Like, it looks like she could stand bipedal if she wanted.
#slatternking

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

One thing that's bugging me (no pun intended) is that I'm only seeing four legs. Am I blind? Where are the third set of legs?
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:One thing that's bugging me (no pun intended) is that I'm only seeing four legs. Am I blind? Where are the third set of legs?
Under her initial thorax pair
#slatternking

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

#slatternking

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

My favorite of the non-Godzilla Monsterverse designs thus far.

Absolutely bad ass.

I was deeply concerned that her coloring would be radically changed - something bluish or green for the bioluminescence/"god rays" - and I'm glad that they instead stuck with the same palette while upgrading the pattern. The "eyeballs" on her wings are awesome. Head and body is very different, as they needed to be. Can't wait to see this on an IMAX.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mothra’s design is the most interesting to me just because it’s the one that is most radically different.

It’s also clear that they gave Mothra longer and sharper appendages so that when she goes up to a monster and attacks their head, irs actually more believable then the puppet sorta having its legs flail around on Godzilla’s head.

Also, don’t take this as a complaint, but she actually sorta looks more like Battra wing wise. I really need to see her in physical action, to see a more elegant side. It looks like she actually does have those big antenna moths have, but the Sh monster art scales them back.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Her legs are way too long for me, I love everything else about the design though. Seeing it in motion might help it a lot
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

There should be an option for loving the wings but hating the head and body. The long legs are fine but the body looks too humanoid/alien and the head is too small. Plus where are the antennae? It's just too dissimilar from classic Mothra for me to like, especially seeing how faithful Godzilla, Rodan, King Ghidorah are. Maybe I'll like it better in motion, and admittedly the concept art is slightly better than the figure, but as of right now I don't like it.

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

I don't know.

It's vary similar to the male Muto. Ok, the both are insects, it's natural that they look alike, but it gets a bit repetitive.
thorax legs…

Nop, you aren't. Same here.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

ebirah_scampi wrote:There should be an option for loving the wings but hating the head and body. The long legs are fine but the body looks too humanoid/alien and the head is too small. Plus where are the antennae? It's just too dissimilar from classic Mothra for me to like, especially seeing how faithful Godzilla, Rodan, King Ghidorah are. Maybe I'll like it better in motion, and admittedly the concept art is slightly better than the figure, but as of right now I don't like it.
This.

The design doesn't capture the cuteness or elegance of any of the Japanese designs. The small head looks very alien like to me. The long legs remind me too much of the MUTOs. And I definitely do not like the praying mantis forearms.

It just doesn't look like Mothra to me.

This is just disappointing. Mothra is my favorite kaiju, and I was really hyped that she was in this movie. Seeing the design really kills the hype for me. I am hoping that maybe she will look better onscreen, but I worry that might be a false hope.

What I don't understand is why she has such a radical design when all the other monsters look similar to their Japanese counterparts.

Also, I wonder how the Japanese are reacting to this design.
Last edited by Gojira-Fan on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

I quite like it! I just hope her antennae stick out more in the movie. The way they are folded back on the toy makes her look less moth-like.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I like it a lot. The only thing that bothers me a bit is her body. But it's not really the shape of it, it's the color. I think if her body had its classic color scheme it would look less jarring.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Overall, I like it, but with a few reservations. Her wings are absolutely beautiful, and the idea that the “eyes” are meant to mimic Godzilla’s own eyes is a pretty cool concept. I actually like the long forelimbs and the more wasp-like head and body; it definitely makes her look more dangerous, more like she can actually hold her own in a fight with other monsters without resorting to beams and such.

Her hind legs are the main sticking point for me. Coupled with the more waspy body, they give her an almost humanoid appearance, and that’s just a weird look for Mothra.
ebirah_scampi wrote:Plus where are the antennae
If you look closely on the head of the figure, it looks as if they are there, but whoever sculpted it chose to make them flush with her head rather than sticking up.
Last edited by G2000 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Love everything except those weird ass horse legs. The eyes are also a touch odd, but I don't mind them as much. Overall can't wait to see her in action.

I also like how this, combined with the trailer, implies she can change her colors.