Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505

Greatest Godzilla film of all time?

Yes
22
39%
No
34
61%
 
Total votes: 56

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:37 am

BARAGONBREH wrote:Quite possibly. It's not as if 99% of the Toho films are stiff competition, given the frequent shoddiness of the franchise historically.

How can sloppy Dougherty compete with Ishiro Honda's Criterion Collection certified classics? :)
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

User avatar
BlacktimusPrime
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby BlacktimusPrime » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:07 pm

BARAGONBREH wrote:Quite possibly. It's not as if 99% of the Toho films are stiff competition, given the frequent shoddiness of the franchise historically.


Agreed.

Assuming the leaks are true, it could be a great godzilla movie, but the best? Probably not.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.


Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

User avatar
Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:36 am

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:19 pm

How can it compete with Godzilla's Revenge?

It probably won't even have a talking Minya. And since Minya isn't in the movie, i'd say that's a safe bet!

GojiDog
Interpol Agent
Posts: 674
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby GojiDog » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:24 am

At the very least, it seems poised to be the best AMERICAN Godzilla film with potential to be better than most of the Japanese counterparts as well.

But I don't want to get my hopes up.

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby BARAGONBREH » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:52 am

BlacktimusPrime wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Quite possibly. It's not as if 99% of the Toho films are stiff competition, given the frequent shoddiness of the franchise historically.


Agreed.

Assuming the leaks are true, it could be a great godzilla movie, but the best? Probably not.


Pretty hard to top the original. I doubt Hollywood will ever have the guts to give a Godzilla film some real philosophical weight to it like Gojira had. Even though they could - and they should. Though I doubt he'd be interested in the material, it'd be pretty cool to see what someone like Alex Garland would do with Godzilla.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

User avatar
BlacktimusPrime
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby BlacktimusPrime » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 am

BARAGONBREH wrote:Pretty hard to top the original.


True, though when discussing best Godzilla movies, I'm honestly of the mind that Gojira should be excluded on a "it literally goes without saying" basis. Otherwise it doesn't allow too much discussion, know what I mean?
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.


Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

User avatar
Gojira18
G-Grasper
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby Gojira18 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:07 pm

As the best Godzilla movie ever? No.
Best American Godzilla movie: Hell yeah.

User avatar
Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2319
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby Dv-218 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Gojira18 wrote:As the best Godzilla movie ever? No.
Best American Godzilla movie: Hell yeah.


I'm of this opinion too- it definitely has the potential of being the best american adaptation of the Godzilla mythos to date :)

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11386
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:55 pm

BlacktimusPrime wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Pretty hard to top the original.


True, though when discussing best Godzilla movies, I'm honestly of the mind that Gojira should be excluded on a "it literally goes without saying" basis. Otherwise it doesn't allow too much discussion, know what I mean?


Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:56 pm

miguelnuva wrote:Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.


How so? Mothra vs Godzilla is a great film on it's own right but it doesn't have the depth of 54. Ghidorah is alright but incredibly rushed in certain aspects.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3414
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby KaijuCanuck » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.


How so? Mothra vs Godzilla is a great film on it's own right but it doesn't have the depth of 54. Ghidorah is alright but incredibly rushed in certain aspects.


I think he might mean in more objective terms of mass appeal, box office success, and encouraging the creation of more kaiju films.
Image

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11386
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:18 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.


How so? Mothra vs Godzilla is a great film on it's own right but it doesn't have the depth of 54. Ghidorah is alright but incredibly rushed in certain aspects.


I think he might mean in more objective terms of mass appeal, box office success, and encouraging the creation of more kaiju films.


Gojira gives a better message but Mothra vs Godzilla has a better stroy and is more exciting to me and Ghidorah is the quintessential Godzilla film as far as what the franchise as a whole offers.

Only thing Gojira has over the other films in the series to me is that I see it as a oscar type film.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3414
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby KaijuCanuck » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:19 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
How so? Mothra vs Godzilla is a great film on it's own right but it doesn't have the depth of 54. Ghidorah is alright but incredibly rushed in certain aspects.


I think he might mean in more objective terms of mass appeal, box office success, and encouraging the creation of more kaiju films.


Gojira gives a better message but Mothra vs Godzilla has a better stroy and is more exciting to me and Ghidorah is the quintessential Godzilla film as far as what the franchise as a whole offers.

Only thing Gojira has over the other films in the series to me is that I see it as a oscar type film.


Nevermind I was wrong.
Image

User avatar
BlacktimusPrime
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby BlacktimusPrime » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:13 pm

miguelnuva wrote:Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.


While I agree with you, I think the opinion that Gojira is unquestionably the best is so widespread that these discussions should just be labeled "What is the 2nd best Godzilla film?"
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.


Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

User avatar
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 9004
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:15 pm

This topic really is kinda pointless. Its just way too early to ask this question.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:01 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:Nevermind I was wrong.


lol yeah....
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby BARAGONBREH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 am

miguelnuva wrote:
BlacktimusPrime wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Pretty hard to top the original.


True, though when discussing best Godzilla movies, I'm honestly of the mind that Gojira should be excluded on a "it literally goes without saying" basis. Otherwise it doesn't allow too much discussion, know what I mean?


Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.


Uh huh. :roll:
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

User avatar
Dawsbfiremind
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2958
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm
Location: My writing desk

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby Dawsbfiremind » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:19 am

BARAGONBREH wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
BlacktimusPrime wrote:
True, though when discussing best Godzilla movies, I'm honestly of the mind that Gojira should be excluded on a "it literally goes without saying" basis. Otherwise it doesn't allow too much discussion, know what I mean?


Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.


Uh huh. :roll:


Yeah...no they didn't. Gojira is still the highest peak of the Showa era, and thus far probably the peak of the franchise itself.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer

With skills like this......I wonder too.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.

TK drinking game official rules.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26072&start=2080#p1564587

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby BARAGONBREH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:39 am

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.


Uh huh. :roll:


Yeah...no they didn't. Gojira is still the highest peak of the Showa era, and thus far probably the peak of the franchise itself.


Yep. Mothra was a children's movie. A decent one, but still a children's movie - and not high-quality, "children's-movie-but-actually-pretty-deep-for-adults" Pixar-style children's movie.

Ghidorah is a decently amusing B movie for people who dig kaiju.

Gojira approached something like art, or at least the closest anyone has thus far gotten to art when making a movie about a giant monster destroying everything.

No contest.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

User avatar
kamilleblu
G-Grasper
Posts: 1354
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Postby kamilleblu » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.


How so? Mothra vs Godzilla is a great film on it's own right but it doesn't have the depth of 54. Ghidorah is alright but incredibly rushed in certain aspects.


I think he might mean in more objective terms of mass appeal, box office success, and encouraging the creation of more kaiju films.

Godzilla '54 has significantly higher attendance numbers than both Mothra vs Godzilla and Ghidorah. But they're all within the top ten of the series.


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Current)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gottatalktothefake, Kaiju-King42, Maritonic, tyrantgoji and 7 guests