Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Greatest Godzilla film of all time?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 57

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Post by Shin Gabara »

I wouldn't say Armageddon being good or bad has as much to do with Criterion's release as it does with Bay having a very distinct style and voice in modern film.
. . .

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Shin Gabara wrote:I wouldn't say Armageddon being good or bad has as much to do with Criterion's release as it does with Bay having a very distinct style and voice in modern film.
Okay, so you're saying a Criterion release = "distinct style and voice", it doesn't = it's a good movie.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

This film will never be better than Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:This film will never be better than Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ha! Even as much as I dislike G14 its still better than Megaguirus.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

I don't know if it's just the computer I'm watching it on or what, but... Some of the CGI in the newest trailer doesn't look immpressive. Specifically, Ghidorah looks quite rounded/soft/video-gameish at times, and Godzilla when charging at KG looks "off"... If they manage to fuck up the one thing this movie should be excellent at - modern computer special effects - then it's doubtful this will hold a candle to at least half a dozen other movies in the franchise.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

CGI is worked on up until weeks before release. Just look at early trailers for films like Guardians of the Galaxy. It will improve before release.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

BARAGONBREH wrote:I don't know if it's just the computer I'm watching it on or what, but... Some of the CGI in the newest trailer doesn't look immpressive. Specifically, Ghidorah looks quite rounded/soft/video-gameish at times, and Godzilla when charging at KG looks "off"... If they manage to fuck up the one thing this movie should be excellent at - modern computer special effects - then it's doubtful this will hold a candle to at least half a dozen other movies in the franchise.
I'm sure if you can watch the classic films no problem, you can get over some possible questionable CG in this movie. Questionable effects in a Godzilla movie? Unheard of :P
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:I don't know if it's just the computer I'm watching it on or what, but... Some of the CGI in the newest trailer doesn't look immpressive. Specifically, Ghidorah looks quite rounded/soft/video-gameish at times, and Godzilla when charging at KG looks "off"... If they manage to skreeonk up the one thing this movie should be excellent at - modern computer special effects - then it's doubtful this will hold a candle to at least half a dozen other movies in the franchise.
I'm sure if you can watch the classic films no problem, you can get over some possible questionable CG in this movie. Questionable effects in a Godzilla movie? Unheard of :P
I can get over it when it's being produced on a shoestring budget without the backing of the best VFX industry in the world.

This is not the case here.

Totally unacceptable. We've waited half a century to see Ghidorah in glorious Hollywood FX for this?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Anybody who tries to pull a "well, this is the best film from a cinematography point of view" as a last resort is gonna be fooling themselves.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

GalacticPetey wrote:CGI is worked on up until weeks before release. Just look at early trailers for films like Guardians of the Galaxy. It will improve before release.
I sure hope so. If they release the movie looking as-is from this trailer, this will kill the franchise. It will draw comparisons to how big of a disappointment G98 was in that it advertised finally seeing a big budget Godzilla and somehow ended up looking cheaper than ever.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Is something wrong with my eyesight or what? Because I didn't see anything wrong with the effects besides that probably sped up shot at the end.
Seriously, Sharknado!? I'm all for different opinions, but this is quite the exaggragation...

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Ha! Even as much as I dislike G14 its still better than Megaguirus.
Almost everything is better than Megaguirus.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Anybody who tries to pull a "well, this is the best film from a cinematography point of view" as a last resort is gonna be fooling themselves.
People confuse “best” and “modern.” It’s not going to look anything like a film from the ‘60s or even the ‘80s or 2000s. It doesn’t mean its modern cinematography (or special effects or music or...) is going to be better. It will like serve its purpose the same way Hajime Koizumi’s cinematography is perfectly fine for the movies he worked on in the ‘60s.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Terasawa wrote:People confuse “best” and “modern.” It’s not going to look anything like a film from the ‘60s or even the ‘80s or 2000s. It doesn’t mean its modern cinematography (or special effects or music or...) is going to be better. It will like serve its purpose the same way Hajime Koizumi’s cinematography is perfectly fine for the movies he worked on in the ‘60s.
Lol, no. If hundreds of millions are spent on poor CGI in an attempted Hollywood blockbuster, it will not "serve its purpose". Only purpose it will serve is raise serious questions about where all that money went.

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

No it'll be 2nd but the best will be when Godzilla and King Kong go head to head in 2020.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Terasawa wrote:People confuse “best” and “modern.” It’s not going to look anything like a film from the ‘60s or even the ‘80s or 2000s. It doesn’t mean its modern cinematography (or special effects or music or...) is going to be better. It will like serve its purpose the same way Hajime Koizumi’s cinematography is perfectly fine for the movies he worked on in the ‘60s.
Lol, no. If hundreds of millions are spent on poor CGI in an attempted Hollywood blockbuster, it will not "serve its purpose". Only purpose it will serve is raise serious questions about where all that money went.
This is not unique to this movie, man. Hollywood spends hundreds of millions of dollars on films all the time. Some of them (I would argue most, but that's my opinion) are less than stellar. But it's the studio's money, they're welcome to spend it however they want.

I know you're disappointed in this trailer, trust me, I fucking know. I think we all know your opinion by now. The CGI in this trailer didn't wow me either but it also didn't look tremendously awful. I think you're reaching on the assumption that those shots you didn't like are going to equal ~two hours worth of bad CGI.

Oh, and yes, it will in fact "serve its purpose." That purpose -spending some exorbitant amount on a piece of entertainment- is to get people in the door to watch the damn thing. That will be accomplished whether the movie is bad or not.

Also please stop being so condescending and aggressive. We're all here to talk about fucking Godzilla movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Terasawa wrote:
This is not unique to this movie, man. Hollywood spends hundreds of millions of dollars on films all the time. Some of them (I would argue most, but that's my opinion) are less than stellar. But it's the studio's money, they're welcome to spend it however they want.

I know you're disappointed in this trailer, trust me, I skreeonking know. I think we all know your opinion by now. The CGI in this trailer didn't wow me either but it also didn't look tremendously awful. I think you're reaching on the assumption that those shots you didn't like are going to equal ~two hours worth of bad CGI.

Oh, and yes, it will in fact "serve its purpose." That purpose -spending some exorbitant amount on a piece of entertainment- is to get people in the door to watch the damn thing. That will be accomplished whether the movie is bad or not.

Also please stop being so condescending and aggressive. We're all here to talk about skreeonking Godzilla movies.
I agree with the first part. I would go even further: probably less than 5% of Hollywood's output is worth two fucks.

However, you're either over-estimating the quality of this trailer or underestimating the audience (believe it or not). Because people aren't going to pay 30 bucks to go sit and watch something barely a step above Sharknado - which several shots literally look like in that trailer. Like, dude. Ghidorah literally looks like a high-end PS4 game a couple of times in that thing.

The filmgoing audience has low standards, no doubt, but not quite that low, unless it's directed by Michael Bay.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Except for the original, yeah it looks like this will be the best.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

BARAGONBREH wrote:However, you're either over-estimating the quality of this trailer or underestimating the audience (believe it or not). Because people aren't going to pay 30 bucks to go sit and watch something barely a step above Sharknado - which several shots literally look like in that trailer. Like, dude. Ghidorah literally looks like a high-end PS4 game a couple of times in that thing.

The filmgoing audience has low standards, no doubt, but not quite that low, unless it's directed by Michael Bay.
Yeah... I just really disagree. People will see the movie. "Barely a step above Sharknado" is a huge reach, come on. "High-end PS4 game" maybe, but even then I don't think the majority of the special effects here are that bad. But still, I don't think the general quality of CGI matters to most people. People go because they want the thrill. Hell, people just like going to a movie.

I think what will hurt this movie more than anything is the proximity of its release to other big movies. The Godzilla name won't carry this film alone, there has to be interest in the movie itself. I'm not anticipating the success the 2014 film had but I'm not anticipating the box office bomb you seem to think it was. It will make money and it will be popular.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.