Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Greatest Godzilla film of all time?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 57

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Post by Shadowfyre »

A lotta people selling this short. The director seems like a genuine fan

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

That can be good but I've learned that fan does not always mean a good produce and non-fan does not promise a poor product. Biollante is one of my favorites but the director wasn't really a fan of Godzilla movies. While I believe the director of Megaurius, Against Mechagodzilla and SOS is a big Godzilla fan but his movies are...kinda flat sadly.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I doubt it'll be anything more than a fun summer blockbuster with little regard to heavy themes. I would absolutely love to be wrong, although the leaks have me worried.
Yeah, it'll be a fine popcorn flick, nothing wrong with that. Everybody here likes them obviously since most Godzilla movies are nothing more than blockbusters. I don't think we need to exaggerate how good this could be with hyperbole and premature celebrations, but that sort of stuff is really prevalent within a certain age range so I guess it can't be helped....
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I just want a fun monster movie at the very least. A solid well done one.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

There's absolutely no way of knowing that. Best American Godzilla film? Perhaps. It's not like there's much competition in that respect. I don't see how I can really be disappointed though unless it just sucks really bad. Unlike G14 I more or less know what KotM will be. Unlike G14 I'm not expecting anything more than a fun flashy monster fight film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

I'm excited for this film, and I hope ends up being one of my favorites in the franchise, but I don't know if it can take the title for "best Godzilla film ever". Best American Godzilla film, probably (I really liked G14, but I think this one if it is as good as the Comic-Con trailer was hyping it to be or even better, it could surpass it easily), but in general I'm not so sure. For now, I'm just expecting a good film that satisfies both general audiences and G-fans as well.
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

If the leaks are anything to go by it will probably be one of the worst, if anything. It's nothing more than glorified fan fiction. And that's an insult to fan fiction because I've definitely read better.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:If the leaks are anything to go by it will probably be one of the worst, if anything. It's nothing more than glorified fan fiction. And that's an insult to fan fiction because I've definitely read better.
Yeah, if the leaks are real it'll most likely be near the bottom for me in terms of overall story. But in terms of visuals and fight scenes, it could be the best. As an overall whole, judging by the leaks and what we've heard about the action, it should be middle of the road for me.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:If the leaks are anything to go by it will probably be one of the worst, if anything. It's nothing more than glorified fan fiction. And that's an insult to fan fiction because I've definitely read better.
I think it's a bit of an exagraggation to claim it's either the best or the worst yet, especially based on 2nd hand accounts.

And tbh, if the leaks are 100% true, there are marginally worse Godzilla plots out there.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Is it just me or is this thread just feeding the fire of the ol' "looks great v looks terrible" war?

Dang I missed this pre-movie atmosphere.
Last edited by Dawsbfiremind on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Is it just me or is this thread just feeding the fire of the ol' "looks great v looks terrible" war?

Dang I missed this pre-movie atmosphere.
Considering the entire thread's existence is pointless to begin with, it's not surprising :lol:

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I hope so...

I mean...it appears to just be a "Hollywood Remake" of Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster...
so it does have the benefit of featuring 4 classic Toho kaiju...arguably the Top 4 Toho kaiju.

I'm keen...
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Now while I strongly believe King of the Monsters will go on to become the best Godzilla film of all time, especially after reading an absolute ton of leaks...can someone explain to me why this thread exists? It's pointless. It'd make a lot more sense that in June 2019, someone makes a thread entitled "Is King of the Monsters The Best Godzilla Film Ever?" or something similar....but not now

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

We have more than enough from Kotm for people to make a guess on what they have seen this far. Also this isn't a it is the nest thread it's a do you think it will be the beat based on what you have seen so far.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

WAAAAAAY too early to tell. It might be a brilliant homage to everything great about Godzilla, or it might be the next Pacific Rim Uprising. I'm hoping that it will be good, and I'm sure it will be with the amount of care that the filmmakers seem to be putting in so far. But for now, I shall remain neutral.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Titanoterror98 wrote:WAAAAAAY too early to tell. It might be a brilliant homage to everything great about Godzilla, or it might be the next Pacific Rim Uprising. I'm hoping that it will be good, and I'm sure it will be with the amount of care that the filmmakers seem to be putting in so far. But for now, I shall remain neutral.
This pretty much. I have hope that this movie will be a succesful American take on Godzilla and an homage to the franchise, and most of what i've seen so far looks promising. However, it's definitely way too early to say anything definitive about the movie's quality, be it good or bad. Saying that it will be "the best one ever" this early is a quick way to a letdown.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Genuinely stumped here. While I definitely don't think it will be the best, I really can't see why you think it would be the worst based solely on the information in the leaks. The monster action sounds absolutely amazing, while the human story is solid enough to work. It's not going to go down as the best film of all time, but it sounds like it will at least be a better than average summer blockbuster and a really good kaiju film. I don't see where you get "bad fanfiction" out of it at all.

I understand execution is important, and will be what makes or breaks the film; but on paper it sounds pretty good, and would take real effort to screw up.
Dr. Professor wrote:Yeah, if the leaks are real it'll most likely be near the bottom for me in terms of overall story. But in terms of visuals and fight scenes, it could be the best. As an overall whole, judging by the leaks and what we've heard about the action, it should be middle of the road for me.
At least from what little we know, the human story certainly sounds better than G14 or K:SI, to me at least. It's not groundbreaking, but it seems like it does it's job in helping move the story along while having sympathetic characters and all. I will say there are certain elements that do irk me, but overall I think it works.

Overall, I doubt it will be the best. It may very well wind up being the best American Godzilla film yet (and may stay that way for a while - while I am cautiously optimistic, I am not all that confident in Winguard), and it will likely be a very good Godzilla film in it's own right, but to declare it the best (especially before it even comes out) is a bit much.
Last edited by G2000 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Quite possibly. It's not as if 99% of the Toho films are stiff competition, given the frequent shoddiness of the franchise historically.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

G2000 wrote:
Genuinely stumped here. While I definitely don't think it will be the best, I really can't see why you think it would be the worst based solely on the information in the leaks. The monster action sounds absolutely amazing, while the human story is solid enough to work. It's not going to go down as the best film of all time, but it sounds like it will at least be a better than average summer blockbuster and a really good kaiju film. I don't see where you get "bad fanfiction" out of it at all.

I understand execution is important, and will be what makes or breaks the film; but on paper it sounds pretty good, and would take real effort to screw up.
Dr. Professor wrote:Yeah, if the leaks are real it'll most likely be near the bottom for me in terms of overall story. But in terms of visuals and fight scenes, it could be the best. As an overall whole, judging by the leaks and what we've heard about the action, it should be middle of the road for me.
At least from what little we know, the human story certainly sounds better than G14 or K:SI, to me at least. It's not groundbreaking, but it seems like it does it's job in helping move the story along while having sympathetic characters and all. I will say there are certain elements that do irk me, but overall I think it works.

Overall, I doubt it will be the best. It may very well wind up being the best American Godzilla film yet (and may stay that way for a while - while I am cautiously optimistic, I am not all that confident in Winguard), and it will likely be a very good Godzilla film in it's own right, but to declare it the best (especially before it even comes out) is a bit much.
Same here. If the leaks are indeed correct, i'm actually surprised by how decent the plot is. I expected something like KSI with the main focus being MBB, but it sounds like they balanced the characters and monster scenes rather nicely. And the fight scenes sound awesome as hell.

And it definitely sounds better than 2014 to me lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

I mean.. this isn't going in the Criterion collection with the original Godzilla or anything, but as far as the American movies go, yeah, I'm very bullish on this movie to do very well at the BO and be very enjoyable as well.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.