Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

So this was just announced: https://nerdist.com/legendary-announces ... Exclusive)

What do you guys think? I have hopes it'll be better than the dreck awakening was.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

It states that it takes place after 2014 and features Godzilla battling another monster. I thought is was mentioned that G wasn't seen since 2014? I hope they haven't totally mucked up the continuity. I'll reserve judgement until after everything gets released, but I'm concerned this franchise can't get their universe straightened out.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I'm sure even if there are no contradictions that 'fans' will invent some anyway.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ehh, I just don’t take the graphic novels too seriously. They seem to exist in a weird, loose kind of continuity, and that’s fine - just a little bit of fun and extra colour to tide you over between movies.

fake
Monsterland Worker

Post by fake »

If you want a non fans perspective on it, I had no idea there were tie-in comics to the movies at all.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:It states that it takes place after 2014 and features Godzilla battling another monster. I thought is was mentioned that G wasn't seen since 2014? I hope they haven't totally mucked up the continuity. I'll reserve judgement until after everything gets released, but I'm concerned this franchise can't get their universe straightened out.
It could be an isolated incident like the Kong movie and comics, and it's possible MONARCH didn't find out till after the fact, as in they found the corpse of this new monster and Godzilla was long gone and the battle long done.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

You know, considering the new titan that Godzilla will face in this novel seems to be some sort of a subterran creature (causing earthquakes and all that), what if the supposed battle actually takes place underground? As in, one of the Hollow Earth regions? This could certinialy explain the "plothole" of why Monarch didn't detect Godzilla. Like said above, it could have been a completely isolated incident.

On a side note, i'm digging that Sumerian (Babylonian?) style cover. Interesting that both the movie and the novel seem to focus on that mythology specifically

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

This subterran monster is probably why an ancient city that worshiped Godzilla as a god is now under the ocean.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

fake wrote:If you want a non fans perspective on it, I had no idea there were tie-in comics to the movies at all.
Both Monsterverse films have tie-in comics, though the Godzilla one is a sub-par piece of Dreck that muddied up the continuity of the Monsterverse for around 3 years. The Kong one is OK, though the story is a bit light.

Added in 1 minute 18 seconds:
AtomicMorningBreath wrote:It states that it takes place after 2014 and features Godzilla battling another monster. I thought is was mentioned that G wasn't seen since 2014? I hope they haven't totally mucked up the continuity. I'll reserve judgement until after everything gets released, but I'm concerned this franchise can't get their universe straightened out.
Seeing this series has a track record of mucking up the continuity (CoughcoughGODZILLAAWAKENINGcoughcough), it's entirely possible, though I really REALLY hope this isn't the case.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Seeing this series has a track record of mucking up the continuity (CoughcoughGODZILLAAWAKENINGcoughcough), it's entirely possible, though I really REALLY hope this isn't the case.
We only have two tie ins so far, one that is messy (Awakening) and one that mostly fits neatly (Birth of Kong). Can't really call it a track record yet.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If the story takes place in 2014 then that's your cushion. Godzilla has not being seen since 2014 not necessarily the 2014 film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Living Corpse wrote:This subterran monster is probably why an ancient city that worshiped Godzilla as a god is now under the ocean.
Makes sense. I guess that this is the apocalyptic event described in the graphic novel's summary.
Which I guess pretty much confirms that the sunken city is supposed to be "Atlantis", or atleast inspired it in-universe. I love the fact that the Monsterverse seems to be rooted in ancient Mythology, there are plenty of creative possibilities to explore :)

To add to my previous post, imo it would be awesome if the fight between Godzilla and the titan takes place in the ruins of the temple shown in the trailer.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I definitely see the Hollow Earth being a major plot point in this comic, no doubt that’s where this Earthquake Titan emerges from, and i also see the ancient temple being referenced too.
I’m pretty excited for this, anyone know when that information is supposed to drop for this? This week right
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

PitchBlackProgress wrote: I’m pretty excited for this, anyone know when that information is supposed to drop for this? This week right
Saturday, the 27th

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Moogabunga wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote: I’m pretty excited for this, anyone know when that information is supposed to drop for this? This week right
Saturday, the 27th
Damn, pretty excited to see what they are going to reveal there.
Not expecting anything major, but any bit of info would be cool imo.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I know it's not likely but I would love if they showed Godzilla and the new Titan.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Just to note from my paleontology background, the appearance of the humans on the poster actually isn't much of a hint to the setting. Homo sapiens have been around for at least 300,000 years but distinct, visual difference between groups only really sprung up around 7,000-8,000 years ago. For instance, the two mutations that caused Europeans and East Asians to lose most of their melanin and result in paler skin only became widespread in those areas from 5,000-7,000 years ago. Until that point, pretty much everyone had darker skin tones and curlier hair. Exceptions existed but this was the norm and the comics have done a pretty decent job getting the ancient past right with the Permian period in the first comic.

So these fellows we see on the image could be literally from just about anywhere if its set as far back in time as I think it is. Chances are this is one of those 'lost ancient past' civilizations fiction loves to have such as Mu, Atlantis, or Lemuria. Might tie to the temple we see in the film
Last edited by Desghidorah on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

I think the main story is set after 2014, with flashbacks to the ancient civilization and Godzilla's battle with the subterranean monster.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Desghidorah wrote:Just to note from my paleontology background, the appearance of the humans on the poster actually isn't much of a hint to the setting. Homo sapiens have been around for at least 300,000 years but distinct, visual difference between groups only really sprung up around 7,000-8,000 years ago. For instance, the two mutations that caused Europeans and East Asians to lose most of their melanin and result in paler skin only became widespread in those areas from 5,000-7,000 years ago. Until that point, pretty much everyone had darker skin tones and curlier hair. Exceptions existed but this was the norm and the comics have done a pretty decent job getting the ancient past right with the Permian period in the first comic.

So these fellows we see on the image could be literally from just about anywhere if its set as far back in time as I think it is. Chances are this is one of those 'lost ancient past' civilizations fiction loves to have such as Mu, Atlantis, or Lemuria. Might tie to the temple we see in the film
That's true. But judging from the cover, the artstyle appears to be reminiscent of the Sumerian and Babylonian cultures. Not to mention, Sumer was already referenced in the Ghidorah profile on the Monarch site.

But yeah I agree that the resemblance is mostly superficial and that it's probably supposed to represent the token "lost civilization".

And also, regarding the Permian in the 1st comic....the boats man :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master Doot
GPN Volunteer

Post by Master Doot »

Near the bottom right of the image, it can be seen that the tablet was discovered in a Phoenician temple. The extent of the Phoenician empire stretched the Mediterranean, ranging from Northern Africa to the eastern Mediterranean.