Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

Post by kaijukurt »

ebirah_scampi wrote:Anyone else not really digging this further development of Muto biology? The species life cycle was already convoluted with them starting as parasitic spores, hatching into a larval stage, pupating, then as adults they mate and lay eggs in nests rather than spores in a host which would make more sense.

Now it turns out that their entire species is the result of an asexual subspecies laying these spores which hatch into a whole different subspecies that now reproduce sexually henceforth. It just seems to complicate it further for no real reason.
Yup, quite convoluted at this point.

This piece of fan art does a pretty good job of reconciling the Muto life cycle IMO.

https://www.deviantart.com/ramul/art/Sp ... -509708164

As for MUTO Prime...I think the "Alien Queen/Alpha Male" approach would be a decent way to explain things. Similar reproductive capacity but only with significantly different physiology to fend for itself or tale down potential hosts.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

kaijukurt wrote:
ebirah_scampi wrote:Anyone else not really digging this further development of Muto biology? The species life cycle was already convoluted with them starting as parasitic spores, hatching into a larval stage, pupating, then as adults they mate and lay eggs in nests rather than spores in a host which would make more sense.

Now it turns out that their entire species is the result of an asexual subspecies laying these spores which hatch into a whole different subspecies that now reproduce sexually henceforth. It just seems to complicate it further for no real reason.

This piece of fan art does a pretty good job of reconciling the Muto life cycle IMO.

As for MUTO Prime...I think the "Alien Queen/Alpha Male" approach would be a decent way to explain things. Similar reproductive capacity but only with significantly different physiology to fend for itself or tale down potential hosts.
Uh, I can't stand that guy's attitude on how everything in a kaiju film needs to be "realistic".

I will say as a positive, he is a very talented artist.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Living Corpse wrote:
GreenScar1990 wrote:
Gojira18 wrote: I think it's more that he's just past his prime and a really old specimen of his species. He only lasted this long due to hibernation and stuff.
Possibly. But you can hardly tell that from what we've seen of Godzilla in KotM. He seems faster, stronger, more powerful and returned to his prime.

I did have a wild theory that the Godzilla we see in KotM is another speciem, one at the peak of power and in his prime. But that's 100% unlikely.
It's possible he fed off the nuke at the end of G2014 (and other underwater pockets of radiation).
That's my head canon. All the radiation from the nuke was absorbed by Godzilla, thus explaining why rescue efforts could be made in SF rather than everyone evacuating it.
Last edited by AtomicMorningBreath on Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Ya'll gonna ignore how this comic will turn the MUTOs into siblings?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzillian wrote:Ya'll gonna ignore how this comic will turn the MUTOs into siblings?
Animals don't care about incest.

Big shocker. :roll:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Living Corpse wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Ya'll gonna ignore how this comic will turn the MUTOs into siblings?
Animals don't care about incest.

Big shocker. :roll:
Don't need Sherlock to figure that out :roll: Just an interesting retcon they made though it won't mean anything since these comics never matter to the actual onscreen monsterverse

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

It isn’t a recon, the Mutos came from the same nest. One can make that assumption that they were siblings.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Nothing shocks me after finding out that Simba and Nala are likely incest. It actually makes Aftermath bigger to me if Godzilla killed Prime's kids and that what wakes him up. He's going to start over with their killer.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Living Corpse wrote:
kaijukurt wrote:

Uh, I can't stand that guy's attitude on how everything in a kaiju film needs to be "realistic".

I will say as a positive, he is a very talented artist.
Some of his changes I think were better though, especially with a number of the Skull Island creatures. I always found the fictional Monarch files rather mediocre, with their awful use of binomial nomenclature and writing style that reads more like a medieval bestiary than a professional scientific report. Worst offenders I thought were the Magma Turtles and Death Jackals. I found the concept of florafauna interesting on paper, but let's be real it wasn't executed to its full potential. Jackson's Skull Island is better than the MonsterVerse Skull Island.

With regards to the MUTO Prime making the MUTO lifecycle more complicated; if it's not mentioned in the final movie then its canonical status is up to the viewer.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I feel like he made the Skullcrawler's boring with his redesign.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

I'm not shore how the MUTO's lifecycle is considered complicated, it's no different then any insects. Egg - Larva - Cocoon - Adult + Sexual Dimorphism. On the subject of sex, there is no evidence that the MUTO actually mate. The female is carrying eggs befor she and the male meet. Possible Female MUTO reproduce asexually, the male's role in the affair it to help and guard the female.

Befor you asks asexual reproduction dose exist in nature, marbled crayfish are all female and reproduce clones of themselves. Just one can infest an entire ecosystem.

That said MUTO Prime is just muddying the water at this point. I could buy it if it was say a related species, a type of larger, stronger MUTO female that evolved to be larger and stronger, thus no longer needing a male to assist her, and can now infect prey directly rather then having to kill them first or find a corpse. It being big mama MUTO makes no sense.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Monster X wrote:I'm not shore how the MUTO's lifecycle is considered complicated, it's no different then any insects. Egg - Larva - Cocoon - Adult + Sexual Dimorphism. On the subject of sex, there is no evidence that the MUTO actually mate. The female is carrying eggs befor she and the male meet. Possible Female MUTO reproduce asexually, the male's role in the affair it to help and guard the female.

Befor you asks asexual reproduction dose exist in nature, marbled crayfish are all female and reproduce clones of themselves. Just one can infest an entire ecosystem.

That said MUTO Prime is just muddying the water at this point. I could buy it if it was say a related species, a type of larger, stronger MUTO female that evolved to be larger and stronger, thus no longer needing a male to assist her, and can now infect prey directly rather then having to kill them first or find a corpse. It being big mama MUTO makes no sense.
Or they just fucked before going into Adam's corpse.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Living Corpse wrote:
Or they just skreeonked before going into Adam's corpse.
Baby muto's bumping uglyies beside the body of a dead kaiju... thanks for that mental picture.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Monster X wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Baby muto's bumping uglyies beside the body of a dead kaiju... thanks for that mental picture.
Lot of critters (including us humans) are capable of sexual reproduction at ages earlier than adult age.

Personally I think people are reading too much into a movie goof, I think the intent was always they mated. One theory I heard is she had the eggs and he fertilized when they nuzzled (basically their reproductive organs are in their nazel cavity).

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Living Corpse wrote:
Monster X wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Lot of critters (including us humans) are capable of sexual reproduction at ages earlier than adult age.

Personally I think people are reading too much into a movie goof, I think the intent was always they mated. One theory I heard is she had the eggs and he fertilized when they nuzzled (basically their reproductive organs are in their nazel cavity).
I'm aware of that.

You could be more then right. Hell he could even have just fertilised them after they were laid. On the subject I found an Australian specie of moth that mirror the MUTO's adult traits. Pterolocera rubescens.

Male
Female

I'm shore most people are aware of this type of moth already but they are just so cool I couldn't help it. An Ironic statment given my motophobia.
Last edited by Monster X on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

miguelnuva wrote:Nothing shocks me after finding out that Simba and Nala are likely incest.
Apparently Disney has disproven this. We can rest easy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lionking/comme ... _siblings/

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Monster X wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Monster X wrote:

I'm aware of that.

You could be more then right. Hell he could even have just fertilised them after they were laid. On the subject I found an Australian specie of moth that mirror the MUTO's adult traits. Pterolocera rubescens.

Male
Female

I'm shore most people are aware of this type of moth already but they are just so cool I couldn't help it. An Ironic statment given my motophobia.
Yeah, if the fish spraying sperm on lain eggs is the intent, you can see why they wouldn't show that on film, most people don't need to see that.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Monster X wrote:I'm not shore how the MUTO's lifecycle is considered complicated, it's no different then any insects. Egg - Larva - Cocoon - Adult + Sexual Dimorphism. On the subject of sex, there is no evidence that the MUTO actually mate. The female is carrying eggs befor she and the male meet. Possible Female MUTO reproduce asexually, the male's role in the affair it to help and guard the female.

It's probably just an exceptionally long-lived female MUTO, and few MUTO specimens reach that age.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Vandarker wrote:It's probably just an exceptionally long-lived female MUTO, and few MUTO specimens reach that age.
The "MUTO Prime" moniker and other details seem to imply that Jinshin is the mother of the MUTO race (though I guess my personal headcanon would be that she is the last of the "original" MUTO species and that her spawn are created via parthenogenesis or somesuch, an evolutionary last-ditch means of saving the species).
If so it's a shame they didn't try to tie her in with Tiamat, the Babylonian "mother of all monsters", seeing as they're going for a mythological approach to KoTM
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The MUTOs reproduction isn't any more complicated than the Xenomorphs.

How does that work again? Queen lays eggs, which hatch into face huggers, which essentially impregnate and rape a person or some other unfortunate host, and the baby alien bursts out of the host. Lot of crazy steps in that process.

To me, its science fiction and they are trying to convey how odd and outside the understanding of humanity these creatures are. It worked for Alien and I'm okay with it for the MUTOs as well.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.