Monster Discussion: Skull Crawlers/Ramarak

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Monster Discussion: Skull Crawlers/Ramarak

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I could tell Ramarak apart easy, my problem was how quickly it appears and how quickly it goes. Also wish it was more a threat, no way this thing killed Kong's parents, musta been in its prime then by KSI time, old and worthless :lol:
Someone concluded maybe the true "Big One" will be in Godzilla vs. King Kong as the main villain. Honestly that's the only team-up route I'd be up for and I honestly dig this idea.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

I don't get why it's so hard to believe ramarak killed Mr and Mrs Kong. He would have killed Kong as well if the humans hadn't been there. In fact, Kong would probably be dead after the first scuffle.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

^I don't understand this either. Saying that the "big one" we saw in the movie is not actually the "big one" goes against the entire plot of K:SI. This sounds like wishful thinking. It's more than possible that Godzilla wrecked Randa's ship, though.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Some of fish and snakes do not stop growing, and continue to grow till they die of old age. I think Skullcralwers only size limit is how long they live.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:I don't get why it's so hard to believe ramarak killed Mr and Mrs Kong. He would have killed Kong as well if the humans hadn't been there. In fact, Kong would probably be dead after the first scuffle.
?

Kong was already practically unconscious when the Big One showed up. And he only got the upper hand in the actual battle because Kong got entangled in that massive anchor chain. Humans were responsible (directly or otherwise) for both Kong's initial state prior to the battle and the presence of the shipwreck and chain which allowed the Big One to get the upper hand against him during the battle. They were fairly even prior to that, though I'd argue Kong was generally getting the bigger hits in.

Yes, I don't like calling him Ramarak. As far as I'm concerned that's an unofficial name at this point.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:I don't get why it's so hard to believe ramarak killed Mr and Mrs Kong. He would have killed Kong as well if the humans hadn't been there. In fact, Kong would probably be dead after the first scuffle.
?

Kong was already practically unconscious when the Big One showed up. And he only got the upper hand in the actual battle because Kong got entangled in that massive anchor chain. Humans were responsible (directly or otherwise) for both Kong's initial state prior to the battle and the presence of the shipwreck and chain which allowed the Big One to get the upper hand against him during the battle. They were fairly even prior to that, though I'd argue Kong was generally getting the bigger hits in.

Yes, I don't like calling him Ramarak. As far as I'm concerned that's an unofficial name at this point.
Wasn't Ramarak just throwing kong around before the chains? i'd have to see it again to be sure.
Theres also the fact of ramarak's resilience. He survived getting his throat sliced open and getting beat about by kong, and still came out fairly dexterous. I'm 80% certain the only reason kong won was because Ramarak tried to eat Mason, but i could definitely be wrong.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Yeah, I got the vibe that the only reason he lost was because he tried to get greedy and spiteful and eat Mason. He could have gotten away while Kong was busy, and attacked from ambush like the skullcrawlers tend to do and had the upper hand. He was holding his own until then, definitely would have been a tough battle without Kong using weapons.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I feel like the Skullcrawlers were not particularly important to the plot of the movie, which was really about Packard's vendetta with Kong. The kaiju vs kaiju scenes here were mostly fanservice.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Imagine what it would be like if Skullcrawlers were as big as Godzilla like the height of 300 feet tall?

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

What do you think will happen if Skullcrawlers were as big as Legendary Godzilla? Wouldn't it be disastrous?!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Imagine what it would be like if Skullcrawlers were as big as Godzilla like the height of 300 feet tall?

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Ramarak alone was bad enough as a race of them killed off Kong's species. You do the math...

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Pretty boring and generic in the grand scheme of things. They'll end up like the Mutos barely a footnote in the franchise

Sir-Mechagodzilla
Ronin

Post by Sir-Mechagodzilla »

I found the monsters in Skull Island to be lacking in general. Nothing stood out, the skull crawlers were ok but somewhat boring. The movie lacked suprises and making the big villlain just a bigger version of the smaller ones was kinda lame.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

All the original MonsterVerse creatures are painfully mediocre. Hoping G2 changes that with its Titans.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:With the obvious exception of the Sker Buffalo, objectively one of the best creations of the whole Kong franchise and even a standout among 'minor' Godzilla-franchise kaiju, all the original MonsterVerse creatures are painfully mediocre. Hoping G2 changes that with its Titans.

There was a typo in your post. Went ahead and fixed it for ya. ;)
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

While I thought the MUTOs were ok for what they were (nothing too special, but not bad either), and I actually find some of the Kong: SI stuff interesting (mainly the sker buffalo and some creatures from the comic, especially the Sirenjaw), I thought the Skullcrawlers were rather boring and making the "final boss" just a big version of one seemed kinda lazy to me.
Imo I would have preferred if Kong fought the sea serpent that was cut, or a giant version of that horned tiger thing.

Hopefully KOTM brings some interesting, original titans.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Re: Imagine what it would be like if Skullcrawlers were as big as Godzilla like the height of 300 feet tall?

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Ramarak alone was bad enough as a race of them killed off Kong's species. You do the math...
so wouldn't Skull Island's ecosystems end up in a major UTTER disorder as a result?

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Tyrannoraptor wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Ramarak alone was bad enough as a race of them killed off Kong's species. You do the math...
so wouldn't Skull Island's ecosystems end up in a major UTTER disorder as a result?
Almost without question. That said, it wouldn't be the first time, even in reality, that an overabundance of one species has caused the collapse and near destruction of an ecosystem leading to decades, if not centuries, of chaos and turmoil before a new balance can be reached. That sort of thing does happen.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
Tyrannoraptor wrote:
Almost without question. That said, it wouldn't be the first time, even in reality, that an overabundance of one species has caused the collapse and near destruction of an ecosystem leading to decades, if not centuries, of chaos and turmoil before a new balance can be reached. That sort of thing does happen.
i was just thinking if the size like the height of Godzilla could possibly trigger this result since that'd require more food for the Skullcrawlers to eat!
Last edited by Tyrannoraptor on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Skull Island during the events of KSI and Birth of Kong don't seem to be in ecological disarray

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Gojira18 wrote:Skull Island during the events of KSI and Birth of Kong don't seem to be in ecological disarray
Well yeah. Kong is there, why would it be?
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.