Monster Discussion: Skull Crawlers/Ramarak

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Monster Discussion: Skull Crawlers/Ramarak

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Surprised no one has made one of these, considering they're new monsters and technically by proxy Godzilla kaiju. I have a feeling, like the Muto's these guys are probably one offs, but still cool to discuss them here. Feel free to post your thoughts on them, and even facts about them.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monster Discussion: Skull Crawlers/Ramarak

Post by Variola »

Really liked their design and their ferocious on screen personality, but kinda wish their setup and reveal had been better done; they didn't have quite the same menace or mystery as the MUTOs as they just kinda show up. Overall still liked them a lot though. Ramarak was badass and a good foil for Kong, her mindless savagery contrasting well with his more intelligent approach to combat.

Xenogojira
Samurai

Post by Xenogojira »

To be honest, I liked the Mutos better. The Skullcrawler was pretty cool as another classic reptilian antagonist for Kong and I appreciate the fact it's been inspired by the 1933 movie but I felt it lacked proper characterization. As did most of the characters in the movie. Oh well. The audience wanted a shorter and more action packed movie than G14 and they've got it.

Not that I'm complaining.
In space, nobody can hear you screeonk.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Considering how make varanids are larger than females, I think it's safe to say Ramarak is probably male

But I loved it a lot! Definitely one of the highlights of the film for me. That final battle was truly awesome!
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Definitely loved these creatures, very original and worthy of being opponents of King Kong.
Spoiler:
Hope to see them be in GvK where Godzilla could go to Skull Island and face an army of them.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

They were cool. Underdeveloped but cool. I wish Ramarak got a bit more time to distinguish him/herself.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

what i find wierd is they never actually name ramarak ramarak. I wonder what the trademark was for.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Was a bit disappointed that the Skullcrawlers didn't have any extra abilities.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Ramarak and the Skull Crawlers (that's a great name for a band, BTW) were cool, though I agree that Ramarak wasn't given much characterization. Which I suppose is reasonable considering that there's WAY more creatures (and characters in general) in K:SI compared to G14 so there really wasn't as much time to develop Ramarak's personality as the MUTOs got in G14.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

I hope King of the Monsters is more like G14 and less like Skull Island when it comes to developing the kaiju. It would be a little disappointing if King Ghidorah, Rodan or Mothra just kinda show up without much buildup.

I dunno if I'd say the Skull Crawlers lack character though; I thought their viciousness came across very clearly, and Ramarak had some moments where she came across as genuinely villainous,
Spoiler:
like when she swatted the guy trying to sacrifice himself with her tail instead of falling for his trap, or seemed to gloat over Kong when he was trapped by chains.
It was more their introduction and establishment that fell a bit flat.
Last edited by Variola on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

comment deleted

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Pkmatrix wrote:Ramarak and the Skull Crawlers (that's a great name for a band, BTW) were cool, though I agree that Ramarak wasn't given much characterization. Which I suppose is reasonable considering that there's WAY more creatures (and characters in general) in K:SI compared to G14 so there really wasn't as much time to develop Ramarak's personality as the MUTOs got in G14.
Ramarak and the Skull Crawlers as a band name...LOLOLOLOL I like that. :lol:

Overall, I thought the Cralwlers were cool, but wish Ramarak was bigger.

And am I the only one who wishes this Skull Island had dinosaurs? I mean, the giant buffaloes and momma long legs and stick insect were neat, but I think every Skull Island needs dinosaurs. The perfect Skull Island, in my mind, would be a combination of this one and the 2005 Skull Island.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Legendary Gojira wrote: And am I the only one who wishes this Skull Island had dinosaurs? I mean, the giant buffaloes and momma long legs and stick insect were neat, but I think every Skull Island needs dinosaurs. The perfect Skull Island, in my mind, would be a combination of this one and the 2005 Skull Island.
Personally I thought it was kind of refreshing to have an ecosystem of new creatures rather than dinosaurs. (Don't get me wrong, I love dinos, but I dunno how well they'd fit in this universe)

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The MUTOs were developed much better. The Skull Crawlers are really cool, but pretty much under developed. I understand why though... There's not much that could have been known about them besides what Marlow told them.

I mean, what were the Skull Crawlers purpose? The MUTOs purpose was obvious, not really the Skull Crawlers. Was it simply they are in constant battle with the Kong species with whose the "King" of the island?

I hope to see more of them, especially since they live underground. Can they make it to a more populace area?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

Ramarak and the Skull Crawlers were cool and very vicious.
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Definitely cool monsters, though not quite as exciting as dinosaurs for Kong's main foes. But eh, I'll accept them.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I loved them. But I do wish the big one had a bit more going design wise to differentiate it from the regular Skull Crawlers. Maybe spikes on its head or back, different color markings id something...
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cookson wrote:The MUTOs were developed much better. The Skull Crawlers are really cool, but pretty much under developed. I understand why though... There's not much that could have been known about them besides what Marlow told them.

I mean, what were the Skull Crawlers purpose? The MUTOs purpose was obvious, not really the Skull Crawlers. Was it simply they are in constant battle with the Kong species with whose the "King" of the island?

I hope to see more of them, especially since they live underground. Can they make it to a more populace area?
Well, honestly this is what I thought the Muto's should have been. The Muto's were developed way more than Godzilla in Godzillas own film. So I don't mind that they were very secondary to Kong. My only wish is that the film had less scenes with pointless extra things, like the Mire Squid (though that did show Kong in a more innocent life when he eats) and instead developed the "fight" with the two Skull Crawlers earlier. We're told they live underground but unfortunately we also never see their natural habitat, or the hollow earth pockets.

Anyways, loved their design, and I have a feeling they could easily appear as mobs or something quick in later movies. If not that's fine too.

Also, remember it's implied Kong is keeping them from growing big, for all we know the sequels could have them be bigger assuming you remove Kong from the equationS
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Cookson wrote:The MUTOs were developed much better. The Skull Crawlers are really cool, but pretty much under developed. I understand why though... There's not much that could have been known about them besides what Marlow told them.
One way to develop them better could've been for Marlowe to describe them, and the villagers kind of cower in fear or make protective signs or something, but not actually show them until later, and have them show up on screen in a more dramatic fashion than they do.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Well, honestly this is what I thought the Muto's should have been. The Muto's were developed way more than Godzilla in Godzillas own film. So I don't mind that they were very secondary to Kong. My only wish is that the film had less scenes with pointless extra things, like the Mire Squid (though that did show Kong in a more innocent life when he eats) and instead developed the "fight" with the two Skull Crawlers earlier. We're told they live underground but unfortunately we also never see their natural habitat, or the hollow earth pockets.

Anyways, loved their design, and I have a feeling they could easily appear as mobs or something quick in later movies. If not that's fine too.

Also, remember it's implied Kong is keeping them from growing big, for all we know the sequels could have them be bigger assuming you remove Kong from the equationS
The squid scene was worthwhile because 1.) the "I don't care about my kid" guy needed to realize he was in some serious crap, very near death and has made some bad mistakes ignoring the important things in life. If this scene doesn't happen, he wouldn't have gotten so depressed and sat down reflecting on the walking stick monster. He could have, but so could the other soldiers, so he needed extra motivation.

2.) It just looked cool. The water cgi, Kong so tranquil, it felt REAL. And an island worshipping Kong, but really he's just an animal.. one we love. Its an important characterization moment for Kong. Very underrated scene IMO.