Inconsistencies in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Inconsistencies in the Monsterverse

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

This post is meant to be a list of the various plot holes/inconsistencies in the Monsterverse canon, intended to help those who are confused make their own conclusion.

Godzilla 2014 and associated materials
Spoiler:
.In Godzilla:awakening, Godzilla is first sighted in 1945 after being awakened by Hiroshima. The film says that Godzilla was awakened in 1954 by the Nuclear Submarine USS Nautilus.
.Another monster named Shinomura is present during the 1954 Nuclear test. Shinomura has not been mentioned in any other materials since.
. Shinomura attacks a warship and destroys it. This has never been retouched, though an event in K:SI may be a reference to it.
. Godzilla 2014 states Monarch was founded in 1954. However, other materials state that Monarch was founded in 1946, including Kong: Skull Island.
. Godzilla survives a massive impact event during the permian while fighting Shinomura in Godzilla: Awakening. There is no evidence to back up such an event, and as said above, Shinomura's existence is dubious.
.Shinomura survives an extinction-level impact event but is killed by a significantly weaker nuclear weapon.
.The Navy officer in G2014 states Castle Bravo was a Kiloton bomb. An odd choice, seeing as Castle bravo's fame comes from being the largest nuclear device detonated by the U.S., and the bomb they were going to use against the MUTOs is at most a single megaton in TNT tonnage.
.The Official Godzilla 2014 novelization states the device being used against the MUTOs is a 300 kiloton warhead. The film states it is a warhead in the Megaton range.
.Godzilla rips off HokMUTO's wing in the Novel.
.Godzilla finishes FemMUTO off by slashing off her head with his arm claws in the Novel, likely based off of the 2012 script.
.The MUTO's EMP explicitly interferes with Godzilla's atomic breath. This is another holdover from the 2012 script, where Godzilla's breath is an electrically-triggered flame. This is not touched upon in the film.
. Godzilla is injured by tanks and planes in the novel.
. Godzilla uses his atomic beam in the Honolulu fight.
. In Godzilla: Awakening, you can see sailboats in the permian flashback scene.
Kong: Skull Island
Spoiler:
.The Monarch timeline makes no mention of Shinomura or the original 1945 sighting of Godzilla.
. Monarch is confirmed to be founded in 1946, making the point made in G2014 moot.
. Bill Randa's ship is sunk in 1943. This may be reference to Shinomura's ship attack, but if it is, it isn't Shinomura, as this happens 2 years before the thing even woke up (if it still exists in the canon, anyway).
. Conrad fights a giant snake in the novel.
.There is a second Mire Squid attack in the novel.
.The Skullcrawlers resemble giant newts with many legs in the novel.
.The leafwings are vultures in the novel.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Inconsistensces in the Monsterverse

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:.Shinomura survives an extinction-level impact event but is killed by a significantly weaker nuclear weapon.
To be fair he technically didn't. A piece of him managed to survive and eventually regenerate. It's possible Godzilla managed to destroy every square inch of his body leaving no pieces remaining to regenerate once more.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:.Shinomura survives an extinction-level impact event but is killed by a significantly weaker nuclear weapon.
To be fair he technically didn't. A piece of him managed to survive and eventually regenerate. It's possible Godzilla managed to destroy every square inch of his body leaving no pieces remaining to regenerate once more.
No, What I mean is that Shinomura survives a near-direct impact from an extinction-level asteroid but gets completely incinerated by Castle Bravo. Godzilla didn't kill Shinomura.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:No, What I mean is that Shinomura survives a near-direct impact from an extinction-level asteroid but gets completely incinerated by Castle Bravo. Godzilla didn't kill Shinomura.
Ah. I thought "weaker nuclear weapon" was Godzilla's atomic breath.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:No, What I mean is that Shinomura survives a near-direct impact from an extinction-level asteroid but gets completely incinerated by Castle Bravo. Godzilla didn't kill Shinomura.
Ah. I thought "weaker nuclear weapon" was Godzilla's atomic breath.
Nah, Shinomura barely ever gets hit by it, like twice I think. He usually just parts around it.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

I've always wondered what happened to the female MUTO'S body. It just kinda melts into the ankle deep water she was standing in before death.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Chris55 wrote:I've always wondered what happened to the female MUTO'S body. It just kinda melts into the ankle deep water she was standing in before death.
True that. If the KOTM leaks are true, we know that
Spoiler:
Her head is mounted at the Monarch base in the Bermuda Triangle.
More than likely, they either just left it to rot or disposed of it somehow.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:I've always wondered what happened to the female MUTO'S body. It just kinda melts into the ankle deep water she was standing in before death.
Spoiler:
I mean that it melted into the water. When Godzilla tosses the head, it seems to have had the same reaction btw.

I'm not paying attention to the leak stuff. I don't go into a movie trying to compare notes with what I've read online to see if it matches. I go in with the clearest mind possible. It's much more enjoyable.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Chris55 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Spoiler:
I mean that it melted into the water. When Godzilla tosses the head, it seems to have had the same reaction btw.

I'm not paying attention to the leak stuff. I don't go into a movie trying to compare notes with what I've read online to see if it matches. I go in with the clearest mind possible. It's much more enjoyable.
To me I saw that the creature crumpled and was laid flat underwater, seeing as her body is actually quite small. It sinks bizarrely slow however, so I can understand your POV.

Added in 1 hour 46 minutes 42 seconds:
Added th events from the K:SI Novel to the "K:SI" section.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Re: Inconsistencies in the Monsterverse

Post by RamshackleRanger »

before i click on any of the spoiler tags in the OP, i just have to ask - does this post include spoilers from the leaked plot?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:before i click on any of the spoiler tags in the OP, i just have to ask - does this post include spoilers from the leaked plot?
No.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Dr. Professor wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:before i click on any of the spoiler tags in the OP, i just have to ask - does this post include spoilers from the leaked plot?
No.
cool, thanks

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Have you guys read the Skull Island comics? There's one huge inconsistency in there.
In 1995, Brook's son, Aaron went to, and was stranded on, Skull Island. At the start of the comic, Houston receives a voice message recording from his son. Here's the problem:

The recorder used is a Zoom H4n (the same one that I used for interviews etc) wouldn't be released until 2009 and the invention of the very first SD card (which is what they use to record) wouldn't be invented until 1999.
Last edited by Chris55 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Apart from the one where I reply to Chris, no.

Added in 2 minutes 50 seconds:
Chris55 wrote:Have you guys read the Skull Island comics? There's one huge inconsistency in there.
In 1995, Brook's son, Aaron went to, and was stranded on, Skull Island. At the start of the comic, Houston receives a voice message recording from his son. Here's the problem:

The recorder used is a Zoom H4n (the same one that I used for interviews etc) wouldn't be released until 2009 and the invention of the very first SD card (which is what they use to record) wouldn't be invented until 1999.
That is also true

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I wouldn't hold the comic tie-ins to close to the chest when it comes to the universes continuity. The films are what establish it first and foremost, anything that the comics get wrong is the fault of the author

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I’m surprised nobody is talking about this mistake more often. In Godzilla Awakening there’s panel with the caption that says it takes 250 million years ago..... but in that same panel you can clearly see some sail boats.
Last edited by TyrantGojira on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

TyrantGojira wrote:I’m surprised nobody is talking about this mistake more often. In Godzilla Awakening there’s panel with the caption that says it takes 250 million years ago..... but in that same panel you can clearly see some sail boats.
Hahahahahahahaha holy crap, this is quite the fuckup lol :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Dv-218 wrote:
TyrantGojira wrote:I’m surprised nobody is talking about this mistake more often. In Godzilla Awakening there’s panel with the caption that says it takes 250 million years ago..... but in that same panel you can clearly see some sail boats.
Hahahahahahahaha holy crap, this is quite the fuckup lol :lol:
I just kind of assumed that no one ever talks about that one because of just how bad a mistake that one is and that everyone still remembered it! :lol:
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I guess these are the ancient aliens Tsoukalos talked about :lol:

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

No, this is definitely something I've always noticed, never understood what fuckary was at hand.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking