Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 pm

So, question. Do we know of WB and Legendary even have the rights to Mecha Godzilla? Is that information we can find?
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

Stefanos of Levanon
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Stefanos of Levanon » Tue May 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Maverick Centigrade wrote:So, question. Do we know of WB and Legendary even have the rights to Mecha Godzilla? Is that information we can find?

Ready Player One.

NSZ
E.S.P.Spy

Postby NSZ » Tue May 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Maverick Centigrade wrote:So, question. Do we know of WB and Legendary even have the rights to Mecha Godzilla? Is that information we can find?

Well, MechaG did appear in Ready Player One.

The debate is whether the contract drawn up was a "one use" situation or not. On one hand, you could make the argument that WB wouldn't bother getting the rights to use him for one film only; on the other hand, however, all the other non-WB IP's that appeared in that film were quite obviously "one use" only.

Both sides are kinda at a stalemate.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

warman222
Interpol Agent

Postby warman222 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:41 pm

I would like to remind people of one possible outcome if KOTM and GVK do well enough for both Legendary and Toho's interests. It might become apart of Toho's World of Godzilla push and could become part of that project as their film side of things. So Toho would be more directly involved with the monsterverse. As such any copyright discussion is moot.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Tue May 21, 2019 5:44 pm

NSZ wrote:

Well, MechaG did appear in Ready Player One.

The debate is whether the contract drawn up was a "one use" situation or not. On one hand, you could make the argument that WB wouldn't bother getting the rights to use him for one film only; on the other hand, however, all the other non-WB IP's that appeared in that film were quite obviously "one use" only.

Both sides are kinda at a stalemate.

I totally forgot RPO was a thing. In regards to one use with the license...I doubt they would use it for one film. Especially since they have a standing Godzilla franchise, with one more movie.

Not saying it outright confirms Mecha Godzilla but...the odds feel significant.
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

Rodan95
Yojimbo

Postby Rodan95 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:17 pm

I asked Vandarker about the cave painting in KotM that shows Godzilla and Kong about to fight in the post-credits. I asked how big Kong was compared to Godzilla.

He said:
"Kong is very big in the cave painting, he's almost eye-to-eye with Godzilla. I'd say he was a hundred meters tall, if Godzilla was 108 meters tall back then"

This is very interesting about the size difference. Yeah it's a painting, But maybe it actually IS how big they are compare to each other in the actual movie :)

If they're actually close to each other's height, its definitely a fair fight.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Rodan95 wrote:I asked Vandarker about the cave painting in KotM that shows Godzilla and Kong about to fight in the post-credits. I asked how big Kong was compared to Godzilla.

He said:
"Kong is very big in the cave painting, he's almost eye-to-eye with Godzilla. I'd say he was a hundred meters tall, if Godzilla was 108 meters tall back then"

This is very interesting about the size difference. Yeah it's a painting, But maybe it actually IS how big they are compare to each other in the actual movie :)

If they're actually close to each other's height, its definitely a fair fight.

I’m just going to go ahead and play devil’s advocate and point out that the cave paintings (at least going by the ones we saw in K:SI) are definitely not quite “to scale”
That being said I expect them to be somewhat similar in size, all memes aside
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 pm

Ghidorah was nearly Godzilla's height in the cave paintings as well. That tells me either the Iwi can predict the future or Godzilla has killed a Kong before.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

SAYAKA
Samurai

Postby SAYAKA » Wed May 22, 2019 2:02 am

KONG's height has been confirmed. It will grow to 90 meters, Contrast the height of Godzilla 120 meters.

His head is smaller than that of Skull Island.He's very strong and looks like he can compete with Godzilla.

king_ghidorah
Interpol Agent

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed May 22, 2019 2:42 am

Does he have a beard?

Is his fur still brown or is it black now?

ultrazilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ultrazilla » Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 am

I like this size of Kong, dude should be able to hang with the big boys at the very least.

Shadowfyre
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Shadowfyre » Wed May 22, 2019 6:09 am

SAYAKA wrote:KONG's height has been confirmed. It will grow to 90 meters, Contrast the height of Godzilla 120 meters.

His head is smaller than that of Skull Island.He's very strong and looks like he can compete with Godzilla.

Im ok with him being super strong but I dont think he should be stro ger per se but with thumbs and whatnot he should be able to apply his strength better

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Postby Tyrant28 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:55 am

Wasn’t this the second poster Sayaka described?
MrRockett wrote:They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Vandarker
Interpol Agent

Postby Vandarker » Wed May 22, 2019 7:23 am

Tyrant28 wrote:Image

Wasn’t this the second poster Sayaka described?

SAYAKA wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
SAYAKA wrote:It's still a long way from gvk, but there are two new Kotm posters coming out. One is blue, the Godzilla vs Ghidorah theme, and the other is red, a picture of four monsters. I don't know when they will be officially released.

A red one huh? Can you describe a bit more about this red one? Just asking so that we can truly prove your legitimacy once and for all.

Ghidorah entangled godzilla, and then mothra and Rodan were at the top and bottom of the picture, respectively. This poster may be used in the Japanese or Chinese market.

Huh.

JGAR
EDF Soldier

Postby JGAR » Wed May 22, 2019 7:27 am

Sayaka definitely is legit
Yooo 8-)

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Wed May 22, 2019 7:33 am

Oh shiit
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:35 am

https://youtu.be/tYWJDZdLORA

Gather up the projectile missiles, bois
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed May 22, 2019 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Wed May 22, 2019 8:11 am

Now let’s see if he’s legit about MechaGodzilla at least planned to be in GvK.
Long Live The King

Moogabunga
Futurian

Postby Moogabunga » Wed May 22, 2019 8:43 am

Hokmuto wrote:Now let’s see if he’s legit about MechaGodzilla at least planned to be in GvK.

There's honestly no reason to doubt him at this point

king_ghidorah
Interpol Agent

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed May 22, 2019 9:13 am

90 meters seems perfect

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”