Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by G2000 »

Dumb thought: anyone think one of the side human conflicts in GvK might be between Mark Russel (Kyle Chandler) and Madison (Millie Bobby Brown)?

Madison had evidently been accompanying her mother, Emma (Vera Farmiga) on MONARCH expeditions for quite some time. Presumably she has been doing this instead of going to school and socializing like a normal kid. If the leaks bear out, her mother had also been indoctrinating her to be a little ecoterrorist (though Madison eventually sees through it and turns on her).

What if after all that the Russel has been through - with both the unnamed son and Emma dying in kaiju attacks, and Madison being kidnapped by a gang of ecoterrorists and only very nearly escaping death herself - Mark finally says enough is enough and decides that his daughter needs to have a normal childhood and not tag along on dangerous MONARCH expeditions, while Madison (whose life up to this point has seemingly revolved around MONARCH and studying the Titans with her mother) pushes back against her father's attempts to so radically change her life?

And then you've got the fact that they're both trying to deal with the death of character and the already strained relationship between father and daughter - unless it's clarified in the movie, the leaks make it seem as if Mark hasn't been there for Madison very much since the divorce, and after Emma's death Madison presumably falls into Mark's custody - and I could see a potential for family drama in Godzilla vs. Kong.

While I don't necessarily expect them to address all this, Terry Rossio's involvement makes me think they might - his G'94 script with Elliot has a good deal of focus on the strained relationship between the female main character and her rebellious teenage daughter after the former's husband (the latter's father) is killed when Godzilla wakes up.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

G2000 wrote:Dumb thought: anyone think one of the side human conflicts in GvK might be between Mark Russel (Kyle Chandler) and Madison (Millie Bobby Brown)?

Madison had evidently been accompanying her mother, Emma (Vera Farmiga) on MONARCH expeditions for quite some time. Presumably she has been doing this instead of going to school and socializing like a normal kid. If the leaks bear out, her mother had also been indoctrinating her to be a little ecoterrorist (though Madison eventually sees through it and turns on her).

What if after all that the Russel has been through - with both the unnamed son and Emma dying in kaiju attacks, and Madison being kidnapped by a gang of ecoterrorists and only very nearly escaping death herself - Mark finally says enough is enough and decides that his daughter needs to have a normal childhood and not tag along on dangerous MONARCH expeditions, while Madison (whose life up to this point has seemingly revolved around MONARCH and studying the Titans with her mother) pushes back against her father's attempts to so radically change her life?

And then you've got the fact that they're both trying to deal with the death of character and the already strained relationship between father and daughter - unless it's clarified in the movie, the leaks make it seem as if Mark hasn't been there for Madison very much since the divorce, and after Emma's death Madison presumably falls into Mark's custody - and I could see a potential for family drama in Godzilla vs. Kong.

While I don't necessarily expect them to address all this, Terry Rossio's involvement makes me think they might - his G'94 script with Elliot has a good deal of focus on the strained relationship between the female main character and her rebellious teenage daughter after the former's husband (the latter's father) is killed when Godzilla wakes up.
Would make an interesting character arc for both of them.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Maybe it's just me, but does anybody else think that WB is trying to salvage the plot from BvS and use it for this movie on purpose? If so, does anybody think it's possible that the 'human conspiracy' will involve Mechagodzilla or-far less likely-MKG?
What exactly have they taken from it? It’s been a long time since I saw BVS and I barely remember it

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Maybe it's just me, but does anybody else think that WB is trying to salvage the plot from BvS and use it for this movie on purpose? If so, does anybody think it's possible that the 'human conspiracy' will involve Mechagodzilla or-far less likely-MKG?

It's Legendary doing all the writing etc-these are Legendary movies. WB is largely promo/distribution.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Chris55 wrote:

It's Legendary doing all the writing etc-these are Legendary movies. WB is largely promo/distribution.
I was actually pretty curious what the actual division there was in terms of who does what.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Troyal1 wrote:
What exactly have they taken from it? It’s been a long time since I saw BVS and I barely remember it
By that I mean, a pair of good guys get lured into a trap by a bad guy who uses something very powerful to try and destroy them both.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Chris55 wrote:

I’m glad you mentioned that. Give credit where it’s due. I remember reading various comments in the Detective Pikachu trailer where they’re giving all the credit to Warner Bros. when in fact it was Legendary’s movie.
Last edited by JGAR on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I’m gonna call it, at the end of the movie, Madison is gonna prescribe to become a member of Monarch and they’ll show her training.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

JGAR wrote:
Chris55 wrote:

I’m glad you mentioned that. Give credit where it’s due. I remember reading various comments in the Detective Pikachu trailer where they’re giving all the credit to Warner Bros. when in fact it was Legendary’s movie.
Yeah see, that's weird because that movie started when Universal was involved.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Chris55 wrote:
JGAR wrote:
Chris55 wrote:

Yeah see, that's weird because that movie started when Universal was involved.
I knew that Legendary and Universal had falling out, but that must have been worse then we thought.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Funny how we have already spoke about Burning Godzilla MONTHS in advance and now barely the discussion is being held in the fandom. Feels nice.
Long Live The King

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

You guys think Wingard will change Godzilla’s appearance at all like Dougherty did? Kong I think he will - not only will KSI have been three years ago in audience minds, but the in-universe time difference and the whole ‘Kong is still growing’ thing gives him license to change things. But KoTM will be like only a year ago.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:You guys think Wingard will change Godzilla’s appearance at all like Dougherty did? Kong I think he will - not only will KSI have been three years ago in audience minds, but the in-universe time difference and the whole ‘Kong is still growing’ thing gives him license to change things. But KoTM will be like only a year ago.
Considering both movies are pretty close to each other- both in release and in chronology- I doubt they will make big updates to Godzilla's current design (especially if it has in-movie reasoning). Probably will be the same design as Godzilla after he gets revived (with the bigger, more jagged spines that look like 2000). I wouldn't mind to see some small details however- a few scars from his battle with Ghidorah could be a nice touch.

Kong will definitely have some drastic design changes tho.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Dv-218 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:You guys think Wingard will change Godzilla’s appearance at all like Dougherty did? Kong I think he will - not only will KSI have been three years ago in audience minds, but the in-universe time difference and the whole ‘Kong is still growing’ thing gives him license to change things. But KoTM will be like only a year ago.
Considering both movies are pretty close to each other- both in release and in chronology- I doubt they will make big updates to Godzilla's current design (especially if it has in-movie reasoning). Probably will be the same design as Godzilla after he gets revived (with the bigger, more jagged spines that look like 2000). I wouldn't mind to see some small details however- a few scars from his battle with Ghidorah could be a nice touch.

Ahhhhhh fuck fuck fuck I guess this topic is fair game for KoTM spoilers too hey? Shit, this one is on me.

Fuck!!!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

Ahhhhhh skreeonk skreeonk skreeonk I guess this topic is fair game for KoTM spoilers too hey? poop, this one is on me.

skreeonk!!!
I assumed that it was also allowed to post KOTM spoilers here because I saw some being posted already. Sorry that I accidently spoiled you :lol:

Seriously though, I don't think this is a spoiler as much as it is speculation from my part. We know that Godzilla has his new, updated design through the entire movie, it just seems to me that his spines during Boston and the beacon scene look bigger than they do in the Antarctica standoff, S.H figure and poster. Perhaps it's just me tho.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Dv-218 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

Ahhhhhh skreeonk skreeonk skreeonk I guess this topic is fair game for KoTM spoilers too hey? poop, this one is on me.

skreeonk!!!
I assumed that it was also allowed to post KOTM spoilers here because I saw some being posted already. Sorry that I accidently spoiled you :lol:

Seriously though, I don't think this is a spoiler as much as it is speculation from my part. We know that Godzilla has his new, updated design through the entire movie, it just seems to me that his spines during Boston and the beacon scene look bigger than they do in the Antarctica standoff, S.H figure and poster. Perhaps it's just me tho.

Ahhhh some speculative doubt. Thanks man. :D I shall now proceed to ignore this thread with steely determination.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:

skreeonk!!!

Ahhhh some speculative doubt. Thanks man. :D I shall now proceed to ignore this thread with steely determination.
Haha, no problem man. Good choice, considering a lot of the speculation here directly takes from the KOTM leaks.

Just to clarify further, here is what I was talking about:

Normal spines:

Big spines:

Like I said, perhaps i'm just seeing things lol. Maybe perspective plays a part here.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

The new trailer refers to Ghidorah as a rival alpha. I would then assume among the titans, there special unique creatures that retain an alpha status.

Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah are all referred to as such in their monarch files. No way Long isn't considered an alpha too. I can see them fighting merely on that alone. Just two alphas duking it out.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

Just saw something online about concept art possibly revealed in Oahu filming location....search for yourselves. Might put the size speculation to rest.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'm betting Charles Dance's eco-terror group uses Ghidorah's DNA to augment Kong, the same way Godzilla
Spoiler:
gets augmented by Mothra's sacrifice.