Potential Godzilla 2 Controversy?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What's Your Views On This?

I'm disappointed and do not agree with it.
14%
It's fine, doesn't bother me.
86%

Total votes: 51

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Potential Godzilla 2 Controversy?

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Not like its happened before.

Oh wait...
Spoiler:
Nothing controversial to see here folks. Move along.
That's like....... completely different to what we're talking about.
Spoiler:
Fire Rodan and the sub from GvKG are completely different from an actual nuke going off to save Godzilla.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Okay and so what if people say that?
It'd be pretty funny :^)
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

it's going to piss of the ''GEDZILLER IZ DA BEST HE CAN NEVER LOOSE BECAUSE HE'S THE KING OF THE MONSTERS''

you know when someone makes any fanfiction or fantasy match and someone gets pissed off' yeah those poeple.

man I am exited to see the movie already

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Janjira-York wrote:it's going to piss of the ''GEDZILLER IZ DA BEST HE CAN NEVER LOOSE BECAUSE HE'S THE KING OF THE MONSTERS''

you know when someone makes any fanfiction or fantasy match and someone gets pissed off' yeah those poeple.

man I am exited to see the movie already
This has nothing to do with anything, so thanks for missing the point completely.

For those who seem to be missing the issue, it’s that the original films message was very anti-nuclear, a cry to end all use of nuclear bombs. Jump to now, and they’re using a nuclear bomb as a deuce ex machina to save the day.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

wait where do they ue the nuke in? it is against what the original movie standed for, but that movie became a franchise of monsters slaping each other, I don't think the original message is even the driving force of the franchise, except for that one time in gvd

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Janjira-York wrote:wait where do they ue the nuke in? it is against what the original movie standed for, but that movie became a franchise of monsters slaping each other, I don't think the original message is even the driving force of the franchise, except for that one time in gvd
Serizawa uses the nuke to revive Godzilla after his second battle with Ghidorah, we see it in the trailer when Godzilla is lying on that temple.
Still doesn't mean they should go against the meaning of the original film.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Should we put spoiler tags here? Just in case , I’ll put one:
Spoiler:
Maybe this bomb does kick them in the butt in Godzilla vs Kong. Maybe because Godzilla has so much power, he goes on a total rampage. So Kong has to calm him down.
Long Live The King

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

This whining about the bomb is already tiring and we still have nine monthe to go, then a couple more people will join in after the movie comes out :roll:

It will NOT be something taken lightly. It will be set up perfectly clear that they have no other choice. If Ghidorah is not stopped, the entire population of Earth will be wiped out...they need Godzilla back to full health to even have a shot to survive

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I honestly don't care, i want an enjoyable heart felt movie... As i see it if Godzilla is near death or dying, King Ghidorah is destroying everything in his path, and awakening other monsters. If using a nuclear bomb is the only way to restart Godzilla, and potentially end this reign of terror then it's fine... It's not going to solve all the problems.

The age of monsters has now begun, levels of destruction and death toll must be well into the billions, Godzilla can't stop them all and who's to say he wont become part of a problem just less then King Ghidorah, which is what will eventually lead to Kong and other creature's being brought into the next film.

So using a nuke in this type of situation will not bother me one bit.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Moogabunga wrote:This whining about the bomb is already tiring and we still have nine monthe to go, then a couple more people will join in after the movie comes out :roll:
People aren't whining, they're just pointing something out that could be terrible. Of course we all need to see how they portray it, it could be well done or it could be stupid. Who knows as of now.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:the American one “Nuclear weapons are good when we say they are”.
Your ignorance is showing. Few other countries would have even stopped to think if the bombs should have been used or not. Most would of wiped their enemy off the face of the Earth without a second thought. I don't even agree with the dropping of the bombs (I don't subscribe to the concept of relative morality and "the ends justify the means" mentality it breeds), but the anti-American prejudice of the last several decades is sickening. America has been far, far from perfect, but it has been the most beneficient power in human history, and no amount of historical revisionism will change that.

Edit: I was in a bad mood when I wrote the above and may have read too much into his statement. If so PitchBlack, my apologies.

As for the topic, if the bomb is used without any thought, then I feel that would be a problem. That said, I reserve final judgement until I've seen it.
Last edited by BlacktimusPrime on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

It doesn't particularly bother me, I don't think this film's message has to be consistent with the 1954 film's stance on nukes. This is a whole new continuity and I think the writers should be allowed to do whatever they want.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

How is this controversy? This is dumb to feet about. The part of the leaked script where Godzilla calls Ghidorah the n-word is way worse.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

B34sT wrote:How is this controversy? This is dumb to feet about.
It’s not controversial yet because the movies not out and no ones seen it yet, but no matter how well the scene is filmed, acted, and executed, purists and scholars like Steve Ryfle for example are bound to rip this a new one, there’s no doubt in my mind. It’s only a matter of time before we see the term “white washing” being thrown around again.

I can see it now…

Godzilla 2 continues to exemplify the notion of America whitewashing Godzilla’s nuclear metaphor by having a character from the first movie (who’s role centered around pleading for the use of anti-nuclear means to deal with their monster problem) now volunteering himself to use an atom bomb to “save the day” and revive Godzilla.

Or something along those lines :lol:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

B34sT wrote:How is this controversy? This is dumb to feet about. The part of the leaked script where Godzilla calls Ghidorah the n-word is way worse.
Oh, you people. IT'S JUST A WORD! FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

I'm kidding, please don't smite me.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
B34sT wrote:How is this controversy? This is dumb to feet about.
It’s not controversial yet because the movies not out and no ones seen it yet, but no matter how well the scene is filmed, acted, and executed, purists and scholars like Steve Ryfle for example are bound to rip this a new one, there’s no doubt in my mind. It’s only a matter of time before we see the term “white washing” being thrown around again.

I can see it now…

Godzilla 2 continues to exemplify the notion of America whitewashing Godzilla’s nuclear metaphor by having a character from the first movie (who’s role centered around pleading for the use of anti-nuclear means to deal with their monster problem) now volunteering himself to use an atom bomb to “save the day” and revive Godzilla.

Or something along those lines :lol:
The thing is, this is not the first thing that has been considered controversial in the series. The entire 70s Godzilla films with the exception of the Mechagodzilla movies were all considered controversial. Even Ghidorah the three headed monster (one of the films Godzilla scholars like Steve Ryfle, KPA, and August Ragone consistently fanboy over because "Muh Honda, Tsuburaya, Ifukube, and Tanaka team") was controversial with the Monster summit scene.

Current and future Godzilla movie makers, both American and Japanese, should not have their writing limited to Tanaka and Honda's political ideology only. I would even welcome a pro Nuclear message in a Godzilla movie if the execution is done well (and no it would not be a slap in the face to the creators or be another GINO no matter what some angry fans and Scholars think). It's like Batman: him being willing to kill in some incarnations does not disrespect the writers who do a no killing Batman incarnation. And like Batman, there is examples of good execution with him being willing to kill (Both Tim Burton Batmans) and poor excution with him being a killer (Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice).
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

darthzilla99 wrote: I would even welcome a pro Nuclear message in a Godzilla movie if the execution is done well (and no it would not be a slap in the face to the creators or be another GINO no matter what some angry fans and Scholars think).
It absolutely would be a slap in the face lol. That's the whole point of Godzilla. You can't really compare some comic book character to him. Sure, they both have varied and contradictory interpretations, but Batman's origin and original interpretation wasn't fueled by an incredibly potent ideology that still looms over the franchise 60+ years later despite the various versions of the character.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

The more I think about it, isn't it a bit weird that a character that came from a pacifist Japanese film is being paired with the US Air Force, a military branch that in its original form dropped the atom bomb...
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I know the leaks are likely true, but you guys have to realize we haven't actually seen the movie yet. So we have no bearing on how this is actually set up, how it's directed, how it's shot, how any of this is done in the final product. Everyone rushing to defend, or attack, or worry, I think should take a moment. Even if the leaks ARE true, it's still not the final film. Let's wait to see what's put out in theaters before we worry about any controversy. Just my two cents.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Spoiler:
If I recall and as others pointed out, this exact thing happened in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. There it was arguably even worse as it was a privately owned nuclear warhead, whereas this supposedly would be a governed endeavor. Plus I'd actually like it as it makes a good parallel to how the OG Serizawa went down next to Godzilla to use the oxygen destroyer.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices