Potential Godzilla 2 Controversy?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What's Your Views On This?

I'm disappointed and do not agree with it.
14%
It's fine, doesn't bother me.
86%

Total votes: 51

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Potential Godzilla 2 Controversy?

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

WARNING: MAJOR GODZILLA 2 SPOILERS
TURN BACK NOW, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED…

For those who have read the leaked script, you may know of a rather controversial key scene in the film…
Spoiler:
Godzilla gets taken out and must be revived via. nuclear bomb by Dr. Serizawa to save the day

I thought we could use a thread to discuss the ramifications of such a scene like this in a Godzilla movie.

How will purist fans and scholars react to this? More importantly, how will Japanese audiences react to this? It’s a huge polar opposite of the original 1954 film's message, so how do you see this playing out when the film's released?

Let’s hear your opinions on this, do you foresee a backlash? How do you feel about it?
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Re: Rivival Reaction?

Post by Moogabunga »

Will there be a few Godzilla fans upset? Absolutely. But they'll be in the overwhelming minority. And the fact is (assuming that this does in fact happen in the film), we really don't know anything about the circumstances or dialogue that really go into how and why it happens. They are not going to set this up as something that is no big deal. I'm sure there will be dialogue and story evidence that they have no other choice. So I think for those whining without seeing it play out first (or know everything surrounding why it happens), maybe take a chill pill. Relax and enjoy what is going to be one of, if not the, greatest Godzilla film(s) of all time :D
Last edited by Moogabunga on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Potential Godzilla 2 Controversy?

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I can't wait to hear Steve Ryfle's thoughts. :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Who cares? They did something similar to that in Godzila vs King Ghidorah.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

morgoth wrote:Who cares? They did something similar to that in Godzila vs King Ghidorah.
Just gonna quote myself here.
Dr. Professor wrote:The nuclear bomb and the sub still cause problems in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah though. Cause now the bomb had created King Ghidorah, and while the sub did enable Godzilla to save the day, afterwards he proceeded to destroy shit and be a general problem, and now he was even more powerful than before.
Spoiler:
In the case of KOTM they'd be using a nuclear bomb to solve the entire movie's conflict.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Dr. Professor wrote:
morgoth wrote:Who cares? They did something similar to that in Godzila vs King Ghidorah.
Dr. Professor wrote:The nuclear bomb and the sub still cause problems in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah though. Cause now the bomb had created King Ghidorah, and while the sub did enable Godzilla to save the day, afterwards he proceeded to destroy poop and be a general problem, and now he was even more powerful than before.
Spoiler:
In the case of KOTM they'd be using a nuclear bomb to solve the entire movie's conflict.
Can we all just have fun and watch the movie in May?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

morgoth wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:The nuclear bomb and the sub still cause problems in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah though. Cause now the bomb had created King Ghidorah, and while the sub did enable Godzilla to save the day, afterwards he proceeded to destroy poop and be a general problem, and now he was even more powerful than before.
Spoiler:
Just explaining the difference, my dude.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Dr. Professor wrote:
morgoth wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: Just gonna quote myself here.
Just explaining the difference, my dude.
I know :). I just think it's "Much ado 'bout nothing."

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Few things-

1.) I’m not reading the spoiler but if it’s something that’s already been done in the franchise before and people want to get butthurt over it then that’s their problem not the movies problem.

2.) Did we REALLY need a new thread about a RUMORED scene that may or may not even be in the final movie let alone knowing how said scene might even play out? It’s kinda silly to get worked up over something that’s still about a year away. Can’t anyone just sit back and enjoy the ride? No offense but this was really unnecessary.

3.) I’m not overly concerned with what Steve Ryfle or any of those Godzilla scholars think because they don’t speak for me or the fandom. I just assume they won’t like it no matter what because it’s American.

4.) Why are you guys so obsessed with leaks and spoilers? I feel sorry for you

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Well to be honest I bought into the whole "OMG THIS IS TOO RIDICULOUS TO BE REAL" thing and I read the leak and was like "TOO RIDICULOUS TO BE REAL" and then I found out there's a good chance it's real, and I'm super mad at myself for spoiling my most anticipated movie ever so as an outlet for that I'm ranting about the things I don't like about it. But I think I'm gonna try to avoid all talk about the leak in an attempt to put it out of my mind until the film comes out.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Well Dr. Serizawa is the one connected to the Hiroshima bomb due to his father's watch, so maybe it's some kind of catharsis or anguish for him.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Who knows how it plays out in the film but on paper it's pretty much the opposite of what the original Godzilla was going for. It wouldn't be so stupid if they didn't name the guy doing it Serizawa and have him be the token Hiroshima reference in the previous flick. Maybe the directing saves it but we can't say for sure until it's out.

But yeah, Ryfle is totally gonna rip that moment apart and we're gonna have another gatozilla "throw him out of the fandom" moment with three very particular members.... :)
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Who knows how it plays out in the film but on paper it's pretty much the opposite of what the original Godzilla was going for. It wouldn't be so stupid if they didn't name the guy doing it Serizawa and have him be the token Hiroshima reference in the previous flick. Maybe the directing saves it but we can't say for sure until it's out.
^^This

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Not like its happened before.

Oh wait...
Spoiler:
Nothing controversial to see here folks. Move along.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: But yeah, Ryfle is totally gonna rip that moment apart and we're gonna have another gatozilla "throw him out of the fandom" moment with three very particular members.... :)
I can tell you nobody is going to be losing sleep over Ryfles opinion

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

gridiron_kaiju wrote:I can tell you nobody is going to be losing sleep over Ryfles opinion
People lost it when he criticized G14 and Shin Godzilla. I guarantee you that if has anything bad to say about KOTM, people will flock to the age old "who cares about him/but what about the other Toho films HUH/his opinion doesn't matter anyways the movie made money and most people like it!" deflections and whataboutisms.
Spoiler:
Some of the people I'm alluding to already did it when G14 came out and preemptively with this movie...
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Not like its happened before.

Oh wait...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-n8Hw3KWfW0o/U ... n+dies.JPG

Nothing controversial to see here folks. Move along.
Spoiler:
Spoiler tag that.
Last edited by Hokmuto on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: People lost it when he criticized G14 and Shin Godzilla.
To be fair can you blame them? 10 years of nothing in the franchise then suddenly we get both a brand new American and Toho movie that revives the franchise and he shits on both without even giving them a fair review. Heck this is the guy who literally said in the Animal Planet Godzilla documentary that they should keep making more Godzilla movies. Can't blame people for getting tired of people being negative and dumping on something they are excited for and love.
I guarantee you that if has anything bad to say about KOTM, people will flock to the age old "who cares about him/but what about the other Toho films HUH/his opinion doesn't matter anyways the movie made money and most people like it!" deflections and whataboutisms.
Spoiler:
Some of the people I'm alluding to already did it when G14 came out and preemptively with this movie...
Okay and so what if people say that? They are allowed to defend what they love and like and frankly why should I or anyone care about his opinion? Opinions are just that...opinions. His opinion doesn't mean anymore than mine or the person down the streets does. I've got news for ya..if he's going to put a personal opinion out there for the world to read then fans have every right to question or critique it.
Don't criticize or get mad at fans who defend what they like.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

I think it sounds wonderful on paper. I’m not really mega fans like most people here, but I think it’ll be one of the best parts of the movie if shot right.

zilla92
Monarch Researcher

Post by zilla92 »

morgoth wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Spoiler:
Amen brother. Let’s just enjoy the ride. We are getting another big budget Hollywood Godzilla film complete with State of the art cgi and a very good cast. Not to mention a writer/director who loves the character and seems very invested. Debate is healthy but I think we should all be grateful for what’s happening finally.