Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LegendZilla
Sazer

Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

Post by LegendZilla »

Hey there,

I know I already have a thread like this for the Monsterverse as a whole, but with this specific movie getting closer and closer, I just thought it would would be a more logical option to set up a another thread, this time only for this one. Theoretically speaking in the worst case scenario, how could Godzilla King of the Monsters realistically turn out to be one of the worst Godzilla-related experiences imaginable? My guesses are :

1. They will forcibly grind in the environmental message like how they did in Godzilla Vs Mothra '92.
2. Ghidorah will be defeated in a highly anti-climactic manner.
Spoiler:
If the Oxygen Destroyer really is in the movie, it would be used to REVIVE Godzilla.
4. Millie Bobby Brown's character will just come across as a later day version of the child-characters that were ubiquitous in Showa era of Kaiju films (most notably the ones from Gamera).
5. We might be in for the polar opposite of Godzilla lacking screen time as in the 2014 film and this time perhaps Godzilla will get too much screen time.
Spoiler:
I can’t help but feel worried as to how they will handle the purported bowing sequence at the end of the film. It would add a degree of Showa-sequence campiness in which the monsters express overly human-like traits.
Forgive my pessimism, but can any of you please express what concerns you have regarding the overall quality of the upcoming film based on what we know from leaks?
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

Post by GojiDog »

My biggest concern is that they would overreact to the criticism that Godzilla wasn't in the movie enough in 2014 and basically turn this one into a Transformers movie: Loud, obnoxious, and impossible to decipher.

The trailer definitely made it look like we would be getting MORE monster action, but also kind of lessened my fears a bit in that the monsters would be handled with the right level of majesty.
Last edited by GojiDog on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I don't have any worries or fears, I adore Mike Dougherty's previous films and I have complete faith in him as a writer and director to make this movie truly amazing.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I have NO concerns, Micheal D has made to very enjoyable films, loves to show off his monsters, has shown his love for all Godzilla films. His character are from either good to tolerable at the least i'm HOPING he will give me the the American Godzilla movie i wanted from Gareth Edward's but failed to deliver

In regard's to your concerns

#1. I believe there just terrorist's, which is why they kidnapped MBB and her mother to use the sonar to bring the monsters to destroy cities. Less about environmental message

#2. Ghidorah will not liking go down easy, i personally believe Godzilla will get his ass handed to him first time. Second time he will be starting to lose but either someone will give there life or a monster will distract Ghidorah long enough for Godzilla to finish him. Shea O Jackson said the fight is insane ill trust it.

#3.
Spoiler:
I don't even think the oxygen destroyer will be in the film, if so it wont revive Godzilla.. It was damn near kill him with him barely able to retreat. An Ken Watanabe will end up giving his life either setting off a nuke or allowing Godzilla to feed off a nuclear sub destroying it at the bottom of the sea . Clips we see in the trailer rising to the surface is him revived as a ''call to arms'' and ready for battle again.
#4. Millie Bobby Brown will probably be like Mothra's twin fairies and able to communicate with her... But WONT be like MIKI from the entire 90's series to communicate with all monsters, That could get a bit annoying personally.

#5. Honestly, the more screen time the better just as long as it used well. During fights, emotional moments, like Godzilla near death or his brief moment with Ford when he was crushed by the building after killing the male MUTO

#6.
Spoiler:
It could be done a s a form of submission, Lion's do it, Crocodile's do it, Bird's do it... This isn't the lion king i'm sure they wont go full on B movie cheesy with it.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^That raises another question regarding #1 That being why the hell does MBB keep carrying what appears to be a device that draws the kaiju near her?

As for #2 It could be that the leaker that began the rumor just wrote things in a rush but I can no way in hell see how
Spoiler:
Godzilla will purportedly defeat Ghidorah by eating him whole all of the sudden.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:snip
Dude, spoilers in the spoiler tags please.

On topic...

Well, I already expressed my distaste about the idea of a wing-walking Ghidorah.

*Leak spoilers below*
Spoiler:
I also hate some of the stuff in the leaks: namely Serizawa setting off weapons of mass destruction willy nilly, the Lion King bowing scene, Godzilla swallowing Ghidorah whole like Orga, the female lead being referred to as "The B i t c h" (TK censors, you're not helping) by the other characters, Rodan being Ghidorah's evil sidekick like Gigan, the random-ass Oxygen Destroyer that comes out of nowhere...

And I'm praying that at least half of these things aren't true. Preferably all of them aren't true, if that's not too much to ask.
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

LegendZilla wrote:^That raises another question regarding #1 That being why the hell does MBB keep carrying what appears to be a device that draws the kaiju near her?

As for #2 It could be that the leaker that began the rumor just wrote things in a rush but I can no way in hell see how
Spoiler:
Godzilla will purportedly defeat Ghidorah by eating him whole all of the sudden.
Spoiler:
If you read the spoilers thread, you would know that the leaker meant something else entirely and just worded it incorrectly.
Last edited by Hokmuto on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Hokmuto wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^That raises another question regarding #1 That being why the hell does MBB keep carrying what appears to be a device that draws the kaiju near her?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
If you read the spoilers thread, you would know that the leaker meant something else entirely and just worded it incorrectly.
You directly told me in that thread how it actually will happen right?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: *Leak spoilers below*
Spoiler:
I also hate some of the stuff in the leaks: namely Serizawa setting off weapons of mass destruction willy nilly, the Lion King bowing scene, Godzilla swallowing Ghidorah whole like Orga, the female lead being referred to as "The B i t c h" (TK censors, you're not helping) by the other characters, Rodan being Ghidorah's evil sidekick like Gigan, the random-ass Oxygen Destroyer that comes out of nowhere...

And I'm praying that at least half of these things aren't true. Preferably all of them aren't true, if that's not too much to ask.
Spoiler:
1) Serizawa setting off the nuke won't be taken lightly. I'm sure it will be an incredibly tough decision. Heck, someone who saw a test screening a while ago (who isn't really a Godzilla fan) said that Serizawa gets one of the best scenes in cinema history, and I'm pretty sure that scene has to do with detonating the nuke.

2) The bowing scene won't be as cheesy as you're imagining. It'll be freakin' awesome

3) Godzilla doesn't swallow Ghidorah whole. He melts him away with a nuclear pulse (or pulses) and eats one his heads

4) LOL! The characters don't refer to Emma Russell as "The B*tch". That was solely the writing of the guy who wrote that leak

5) Meh. Rodan is loyal to whoever the Alpha titan is. For the majority of the film, that is Ghidorah. But at the end, he bows and acknowledges Godzilla as King

6) The Oxygen Destroyer isn't really random in terms of the film's world. It's been 5 years since the events of 2014 - no doubt people were working on weapons to kill the monsters
Last edited by Moogabunga on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Spoiler:
I genuinely can't stand the idea of Serizawa setting off a nuke to revive Godzilla, which by extension would be setting of a nuke to save the world. This goes against the message of the first film, as well as a good chunk of other Godzilla films, including Godzilla 2014. Not to mention in G14 Dr. Serizawa was the one to give that message. He was vehemently against using nuclear weapons. That's really what I'm most afraid of.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

LegendZilla wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
You directly told me in that thread how it actually will happen right?
Sarcasm much? That spoiler thread clarified what he meant. Just saying since I do see you in the spoiler thread.
Long Live The King

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Spoiler:
I genuinely can't stand the idea of Serizawa setting off a nuke to revive Godzilla, which by extension would be setting of a nuke to save the world. This goes against the message of the first film, as well as a good chunk of other Godzilla films, including Godzilla 2014. Not to mention in G14 Dr. Serizawa was the one to give that message. He was vehemently against using nuclear weapons. That's really what I'm most afraid of.
Don't act like he's doing it like he wants to.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

LegendZilla wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm sure he won't be like "FUCK YEAH LET'S DO IT", but it still just feels wrong to me.
Spoiler:
It also seems hard to carry an environmental message when your characters have to set off a nuclear bomb to save the world.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dr. Professor wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm sure he won't be like "skreeonk YEAH LET'S DO IT", but it still just feels wrong to me.
Spoiler:
It also seems hard to carry an environmental message when your characters have to set off a nuclear bomb to save the world.
It won't be a big deal if you have a giant creature who can absorb all of the radiation.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

LegendZilla wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
I'm sure he won't be like "skreeonk YEAH LET'S DO IT", but it still just feels wrong to me.
Spoiler:
It Won't be a big deal if you have a giant creature who can absorb all of the radiation.
Spoiler:
That doesn't matter though. Ultimately the film would still run the risk of sending out a "Hey, nuke's can be good sometimes!" message, whether that's intentional or not.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Dr. Professor wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: I'm sure he won't be like "skreeonk YEAH LET'S DO IT", but it still just feels wrong to me.
Spoiler:
It Won't be a big deal if you have a giant creature who can absorb all of the radiation.
Spoiler:
That doesn't matter though. Ultimately the film would still run the risk of sending out a "Hey, nuke's can be good sometimes!" message, whether that's intentional or not.
Spoiler:
Godzilla is going to need more than that nuke to save the day ;) I understand your point though
Long Live The King

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I absolutely agree. I just hope it isn't in the film. I mean having a Serizawa and nukes involved doesn't make it a nice callback to the original.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT KOTM to be great..... it's just that some of these leaks sound like crap.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The trailer was pretty kino but it could always end up being a popcorn flick that only gets by with its visuals.
Spoiler:
Then again that's what the last two Monsterverse flicks were like, as well as like half of the Godzilla series :)
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

I think you guys are worrying too much. I mean, when was the last time a leaked script 100% accurate? Seriously, I don't want to rag on you guys, but just remember the last script leak--or better yet, the Iron Man 3 - 4Chan incident.

That said, the only real fear I have is that no matter how good or bad this movie is, it'll get ignored by the masses for whatever blockbusters Disney's throwing at us by that time, thus depriving Godzilla and company of the box office love they deserve.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I wouldn't worry about the box office. The trailer was pretty well received and if it has enough monster action, people will see it.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.