Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Given how we know the plot I'm pretty sure I'll love it, but I am pretty afraid of more fandom infighting.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Main thing I'm afraid of is that they won't be able the balance the monsters out in terms of story and maybe screentime. G14 clearly focused on the Mutos as a threat and they drove the story but at the expense of Godzilla basically being there just fight although I certainly think it could have been worse but it could have been much better. KSI is pretty much a reverse in which they focused on Kong but this time the Skullcrawlers weren't as fleshed out and seemed bland in comparison to the Mutos. GKOTM has to flesh out Godzilla's personality since it didn't get elaborated much the last more and now you have three other iconic Toho kajiu in they're first American film appearance as well as the first appearance in 10 years disregading the anime trilogy. Each as either had their own film or appeared in a movie without Godzilla along with a fanbase for each of them I just hope they didn't bite off more then they could chew.
I honestly thought they fleshed out Godzilla just fine given his screentime. I could tell that he's basically an old, tired man who has to do what it takes to defend his territory. Skullcrawlers, I can agree with.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Gojira18 wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Main thing I'm afraid of is that they won't be able the balance the monsters out in terms of story and maybe screentime. G14 clearly focused on the Mutos as a threat and they drove the story but at the expense of Godzilla basically being there just fight although I certainly think it could have been worse but it could have been much better. KSI is pretty much a reverse in which they focused on Kong but this time the Skullcrawlers weren't as fleshed out and seemed bland in comparison to the Mutos. GKOTM has to flesh out Godzilla's personality since it didn't get elaborated much the last more and now you have three other iconic Toho kajiu in they're first American film appearance as well as the first appearance in 10 years disregading the anime trilogy. Each as either had their own film or appeared in a movie without Godzilla along with a fanbase for each of them I just hope they didn't bite off more then they could chew.
I honestly thought they fleshed out Godzilla just fine given his screentime. I could tell that he's basically an old, tired man who has to do what it takes to defend his territory. Skullcrawlers, I can agree with.
I liked what they did with Godzilla but I thought it could have been better but it certainly could've been worse but I do like the idea of Godzilla being this old weary veteran who past his bring but still among the most creatures on Earth.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
I liked what they did with Godzilla but I thought it could have been better but it certainly could've been worse but I do like the idea of Godzilla being this old weary veteran who past his bring but still among the most creatures on Earth.
And considering when he WAS in his prime, he still needed help fighting Ghidorah. Now that he's old af, well....

warman222
G-Force Personnel

Post by warman222 »

To backtrack to the ATJ discussion real quick. I would absolutely say it was either the script or the directing choices from Gareth. ATJ can emote and such if needed. I initially didn't think ATJ could act well but then when I saw the new film Outlaw King, I was proven wrong. ATJ plays the historical Scottish noble James Douglas. He looks and acts so different then how he was in Godzilla or Ultron. He acts like a mad man, screaming like a lunatic at his enemy at one point; "What's my f***ing name!?" It's just the complete opposite of his performance in Godzilla, protraying a man who's passionate, driven and insane. Even if you don't care for historical films, do check it out to see the difference lol.
Last edited by warman222 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

warman222 wrote:To backtrack to the ATJ discussion real quick. I would absolutely say it was either the script or the directing choices from Gareth. ATJ can emote and such if needed. I initially didn't think ATJ could act well but then when I saw the new film Outlaw King, I was proven wrong. ATJ plays the historical Scottish noble James Douglas. He looks and acts so different then how he was in Godzilla or Ultron. He acts like a mad man, screaming like a lunatic at his enemy at one point; "What's my f***ing name!?" It's just the complete opposite of his performance in Godzilla, protraying a man who's passionate, driven and insane. Even if you don't care for historical films, do check it out to see the difference lol.
Most likely the script. As under Gareth's direction, Cranston and Watanabe gave it their all in different ways and were miles ahead of ATJ.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I’m just praying there isn’t much forced humor like many blockbusters these days.
Living Corpse wrote:
I know opinions are different but when I see people praise 2014 like it's a masterpiece but call KSI and Shin crap I have to wonder what they are smoking. :roll:
Hey, G14 is my favorite of the three, especially over Kong Skull Island.
Last edited by Anguirus on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

What a movie simply just needs is levity. Logan definitely shown that. There's a difference between that and forced humor.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Anguirus wrote:I’m just praying there isn’t much forced humor like many blockbusters these days.
Living Corpse wrote:
I know opinions are different but when I see people praise 2014 like it's a masterpiece but call KSI and Shin crap I have to wonder what they are smoking. :roll:
If humor matters, then that will be an issue if they didn’t cut them out. The jokes in the test screening were horrendous.
Long Live The King

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Hokmuto wrote:
Anguirus wrote:I’m just praying there isn’t much forced humor like many blockbusters these days.
Living Corpse wrote:
If humor matters, then that will be an issue if they didn’t cut them out. The jokes in the test screening were horrendous.
Hmm, I suspect we will know about the tone for the finished product from the second trailer, like Kong Skull Island’s second trailer. Thanks for the info.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

There is no way in hell anything can compete with Disney nowadays.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

LegendZilla wrote:There is no way in hell anything can compete with Disney nowadays.
If you're referring to Aladdin, did you see how many people are making fun of it right now? I think KOTM will be fine.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dr. Professor wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:There is no way in hell anything can compete with Disney nowadays.
If you're referring to Aladdin, did you see how many people are making fun of it right now? I think KOTM will be fine.
Do you think that a lack of quality with be enough to hinder box office?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

LegendZilla wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
If it continues to show in the promotional material, yes. Even if Aladdin does well, I think it'll get outperformed. Especially considering most people seem to think KOTM looks really good; I've only seen people say negative things about Aladdin today.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dr. Professor wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: If you're referring to Aladdin, did you see how many people are making fun of it right now? I think KOTM will be fine.
If it continues to show in the promotional material, yes. Even if Aladdin does well, I think it'll get outperformed. Especially considering most people seem to think KOTM looks really good; I've only seen people say negative things about Aladdin today.
People said universally negative things about Grown Ups 2. Despite that it out-performed Pacific Rim.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

LegendZilla wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
People said universally negative things about Grown Ups 2. Despite that it out-performed Pacific Rim.
Pacific Rim doesn't have the name recognition of Godzilla.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Pacific Rim had some horrible marketing.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Dr. Professor wrote:If it continues to show in the promotional material, yes. Even if Aladdin does well, I think it'll get outperformed. Especially considering most people seem to think KOTM looks really good; I've only seen people say negative things about Aladdin today.
Aladdin looks absolutely dreadful. Everything from Will Smith as the Genie to the guy cast as Jafar and for a dude who's supposed to look like a street rat, just remove his hat and he could be a pimp lol

Seriously that film looks awful.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:If it continues to show in the promotional material, yes. Even if Aladdin does well, I think it'll get outperformed. Especially considering most people seem to think KOTM looks really good; I've only seen people say negative things about Aladdin today.
Aladdin looks absolutely dreadful. Everything from Will Smith as the Genie to the guy cast as Jafar and for a dude who's supposed to look like a street rat, just remove his hat and he could be a pimp lol

Seriously that film looks awful.
For real dude lmao.

Also I just remembered that Akira Takarada played Jafar in the Japanese dub of the original Aladdin. Kind of funny that Godzilla has to compete against a remake now.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

While not a fear, I would be a bit dissipointed if this movie didn't break past the $600 million dollar mark.