Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Re: Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

Post by OpteraKaiju92 »

At this point in time I have no real concerns for this movie. I'm setting my expectations low for the acting as a whole but am intrigued by the cast overall. I think they've took their time coming up with a comprehensible and appealing back story. And I haven't been disappointed at all from the action sequences in the other movies at all. I really liked the trailer as well, though that doesn't mean much about how the movie will be
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

If you’re a fan of monster action, you’ll love this movie.
If you’re a fan of spot on drama in all parts, you’re going to be very disappointed.

Basically go in thinking you’re going to go see Kong: Skull Island :lol:
That way you’ll have no choice but be blown away in some aspects.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

I decided I'd watch G2014 and KSI last night in celebration of Godzilla's "Birthday," and honestly, I always forget just how goddamn good G2014 looks. I'm honestly a little nervous that KotM might not live up to it in the cinematography department, especially with the whole color pallet issue (Which was my only real complaint about the trailer).

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:I decided I'd watch G2014 and KSI last night in celebration of Godzilla's "Birthday," and honestly, I always forget just how goddamn good G2014 looks. I'm honestly a little nervous that KotM might not live up to it in the cinematography department, especially with the whole color pallet issue (Which was my only real complaint about the trailer).
Well, at least you can actually SEE the monsters this time :lol: In all seriousness, after some of the descriptions by fake, I think we may be ok on cinematography.

Gooblamon
Samurai

Post by Gooblamon »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:If you’re a fan of monster action, you’ll love this movie.
If you’re a fan of spot on drama in all parts, you’re going to be very disappointed.

This right here is a major reason I hate test screenings and leaks in general, the people who read them act like they know the movie already when in reality...they don't. You haven't seen the movie. You don't know how good the characterization is, how the dialogue is, how the performances are, how good the action is and choreographed. You're getting the overwhelming majority of your info from literally one random dude on the internet, at most like 3..but let's round it up to 5. 5 people....whoopty doo. That is such an incredible small sample size, it's hilarious to try to judge a movie based on the reaction of that many people. And what's even funnier is 3 of the people who've talked about leaks (ViewerAnon, Guy on ResetEra, and 'Fake') have all actually kind of said different things in regards to the characters and how good each one is as well as the performances. It's ultimately all subjective anyway. You simply can't judge a movie accurately until you've seen it. Anywho, mini rant over :lol:

By the way as a little side note, the action in Kong: Skull Island is not that great. The only pretty good action sequence is Kong attacking the choppers and that is a sequence that only happens because the moronic pilots continue to fly their helicopters directly towards a huge monkey. (The spider scene is also pretty cool I suppose) But I honestly think it's hilarious that there are actually people who believe that KSI's big final battle at the end is superior than the Godzilla (2014) battle...it ain't even close. Point is I feel confident the action scenes in KOTM will far exceed the action in KSI. But again...I can't actually judge that until I've seen the movie ;)
Last edited by Gooblamon on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Gooblamon wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:If you’re a fan of monster action, you’ll love this movie.

This right here is a major reason I hate test screenings and leaks in general, the people who read them act like they know the movie already when in reality...they don't. You haven't seen the movie. You don't know how good the characterization is, how the dialogue is, how the performances are, how good the action is and choreographed. You're getting the overwhelming majority of your info from literally one random dude on the internet, at most like 3..but let's round it up to 5. 5 people....whoopty doo. That is such an incredible small sample size, it's hilarious to try to judge a movie based on the reaction of that many people. And what's even funnier is 3 of the people who've talked about leaks (ViewerAnon, Guy on ResetEra, and 'Fake') have all actually kind of said different things in regards to the characters and how good each one is as well as the performances. It's ultimately all subjective anyway. You simply can't judge a movie accurately until you've seen it. Anywho, mini rant over :lol:

By the way as a little side note, the action in Kong: Skull Island is not that great. The only pretty good action sequence is Kong attacking the choppers and that is a sequence that only happens because the moronic pilots continue to fly their helicopters directly towards a huge monkey. (The spider scene is also pretty cool I suppose) But I honestly think it's hilarious that there are actually people who believe that KSI's big final battle at the end is superior than the Godzilla (2014) battle...it ain't even close. Point is I feel confident the action scenes in KOTM will far exceed the action in KSI. But again...I can't actually judge that until I've seen the movie ;)
Although you can’t know for sure what you will think of the movie in May 2019, you can get a good picture on what you might be disappointed, what you might love etc. You can get sane and sound expectations instead of deluding yourself on how this film will be the absolute best and go all fanboy on it which certifies disappointment.
Last edited by Hokmuto on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

You say that like KSI is a bad thing.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

KSI was a popcorn flick through and through. Whether or not you think that's bad is up to you
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Living Corpse wrote:

You totally ignored everything I said.

I was talking about the narrative part of Kong Skull Island and its lack to let anyone breathe for a second or weigh in on what was happening.

G14 was certainly a different film then what kong was and what king will be
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

I was talking about the narrative part of Kong Skull Island and its lack to let anyone breathe for a second or weigh in on what was happening.

Idk about you, but I thought KSI had several moments to breathe. But regardless, as long as the action is awesome, I don't mind.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Living Corpse wrote:

When did you last watch KSI?
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

As of this moment, There isn't much to worry about as far as G:KotM goes. At least not for me.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Randa died, no one cared and that dude on the boat
#slatternking

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I'm expecting weak character development, decent acting for all around cast and lots of monster fights.

So I think my expectations are set accordingly. If the character development is solid and the acting is good then it's only a bonus.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I honestly don't know enough about it to have any major fears one way or the other. I honestly don't care if the characters are weak if there's enough action and spectacle to make up for it. Not that I want the characters to suck but if they do they'll be easier to swallow if they can make up for it in other ways.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Gojira18 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

Idk about you, but I thought KSI had several moments to breathe. But regardless, as long as the action is awesome, I don't mind.
John C. Reilly filling in the gaps did wonders for this movie.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

vibramrunner wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote: You totally ignored everything I said.

John C. Reilly filling in the gaps did wonders for this movie.
100% this. His performence was by far the besr one in the movie (aside from Samuel L.Jackson maybe), and it gave the movie some actual emotion.

Hopefully, KOTM will have atleast a small pocket of breathing area. Either way, I think it will be better to judge for ourselves when the movie actually comes out.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Living Corpse wrote:

IT IS

And funny enough, that's my biggest concern about this movie: That it plays too much like Skull Island and less like LPG. Skull Island was all style (not even a great style, just an exploitative Sci-Fi channel B-Movie mixed with 70's rock music and gratuitous slow-mo) and no substance. LPG at least had *something*. Build up, delivery, fantastic sound design and cinematography, *some* great characters and acting, and better action scenes.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

IT IS

And funny enough, that's my biggest concern about this movie: That it plays too much like Skull Island and less like LPG. Skull Island was all style (not even a great style, just an exploitative Sci-Fi channel B-Movie mixed with 70's rock music and gratuitous slow-mo) and no substance. LPG at least had *something*. Build up, delivery, fantastic sound design and cinematography, *some* great characters and acting, and better action scenes.
Give this man a fucking award, thank you. I agree 100% about your thoughts on KSI.
Glad to see someone else is smart enough to see what I’m talking about.
#slatternking

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
IT IS

Give this man a skreeonking award, thank you. I agree 100% about your thoughts on KSI.
Glad to see someone else is smart enough to see what I’m talking about.
Dude, I'm not gonna act like KSI is flawless, but it at least gave us more than just 2-3 good performances and had ACTUAL character arcs. It didn't take itself too seriously and had fun with its premise. I really like LPG AND KSI equally, and I know when to give credit where credit is due. They have similar strengths AND weaknesses, but while LPG had scale and atmosphere, KSI was fun and entertaining.