Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

Post by LegendZilla »

For those of you who just watched the brand-new TV spot, one fear just might be confirmed.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

LegendZilla wrote:For those of you who just watched the brand-new TV spot, one fear just might be confirmed.
Edit: nevermind.
Last edited by Troyal1 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

My fear is that Mothra will be relegated to cannon fodder like she has been in GMK, Tokyo S.O.S. and GFW (to a lesser degree). While I understand that the life cycle is a part of her character, I think it has been overdone so many times that the character has been disempowered in a way. I hope this movie does her justice because she deserves to be depicted as a formidable creature.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

EternalMothra wrote:My fear is that Mothra will be relegated to cannon fodder like she has been in GMK, Tokyo S.O.S. and GFW (to a lesser degree). While I understand that the life cycle is a part of her character, I think it has been overdone so many times that the character has been disempowered in a way. I hope this movie does her justice because she deserves to be depicted as a formidable creature.
She can be formidable, but she's still the least durable of the main-lister kaiju in this film lol. From what we've seen in the trailers she can hold her own against Rodan and Ghidorah individually, so she's definitely got the formidable part down.

But even in GTTHM and DAM she was only a larva when she survived, I don't see how adult Mothra could demolish Ghidorah or survive till the end when she has so many weak points (at least to Ghidorah since he's ginormous, has 3 heads and can fly at Mach levels )
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

EternalMothra wrote:My fear is that Mothra will be relegated to cannon fodder like she has been in GMK, Tokyo S.O.S. and GFW (to a lesser degree). While I understand that the life cycle is a part of her character, I think it has been overdone so many times that the character has been disempowered in a way. I hope this movie does her justice because she deserves to be depicted as a formidable creature.
I love Mothra. I feel like the odd man out when I mention she’s my favorite (yes over Godzilla). So I totally agree with you.

If Toho let’s WB extend their deal I pray they continue to give the character prominent scenes and honor her.

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

_JNavs_ wrote:
She can be formidable, but she's still the least durable of the main-lister kaiju in this film lol. From what we've seen in the trailers she can hold her own against Rodan and Ghidorah individually, so she's definitely got the formidable part down.

But even in GTTHM and DAM she was only a larva when she survived, I don't see how adult Mothra could demolish Ghidorah or survive till the end when she has so many weak points (at least to Ghidorah since he's ginormous, has 3 heads and can fly at Mach levels )
Excellent points. I believe Mothra's strength will be in her maneuverability and her "god rays." We still have yet to see how she uses those bio-luminescent powers to their fullest degree. I think she may surprise us. ;)
Troyal1 wrote:I love Mothra. I feel like the odd man out when I mention she’s my favorite (yes over Godzilla). So I totally agree with you.

If Toho let’s WB extend their deal I pray they continue to give the character prominent scenes and honor her.
She is my favorite too. :) Glad I'm not alone as I often get flack for even liking her.
Last edited by EternalMothra on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

My fear is that this movie is going to have too much comedy. Most action films post-2010 have this problem and recent TV spots have more or less confirmed it will be prevalent here. If that is the case, there’s no way this film will be more engaging than Godzilla 2014. It simply can’t be, unless these self-aware quips are relegated to the first third of the film. Darken up!

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I hope the entire flick doesn't look like someone kept the saturation at 200%
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

EternalMothra wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

Excellent points. I believe Mothra's strength will be in her maneuverability and her "god rays." We still have yet to see how she uses those bio-luminescent powers to their fullest degree. I think she may surprise us. ;)
Yeah she's definitely got the speed and intelligence, plus I really hope she uses those god rays to blind one of Ghidorahs heads and really give him the works. Personally If I were making the film I'd have each of the main 3 take out each one of Ghidorah's heads, just to show the strengths of each Kaiju

EternalMothra wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:I love Mothra. I feel like the odd man out when I mention she’s my favorite (yes over Godzilla). So I totally agree with you.

She is my favorite too. :) Glad I'm not alone as I often get flack for even liking her.
She's definitely in my favorite kaiju list, she's just a classic. I really hope her and Rodan shine enough to maybe get spin off solo films, but that's a pretty tall order.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

EternalMothra wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

Flak for liking Mothra? They must be jealous their favorites can’t match her majestic colors and beautiful lore ;)

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I’m definitely less hyped for this movie now tbh. I’m not interested in seeing it on opening day anymore. I need to prod around asking people questions after they’ve seen it, and find out how goofy I should expect it to be. Because if I go in expecting an epic monster opera with a tone like the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy, and end up with something more in line with The Avengers, it will take me a long time to even kinda-like this film.
Last edited by LockBite on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

LockBite wrote:I’m definitely less hyped for this movie now tbh. I’m not interested in seeing it on opening day anymore. I need to prod around asking people questions after they’ve seen it, and find out how goofy I should expect it to be. Because if I go in expecting an epic monster opera and end up with something more in line with The Avengers, it will take me a long time to even kinda-like this film.

I mean, I haven't watched the tv spots and I have absolutely no plans to. But, while the jokes sound like standard modern blockbuster fare, that seems to be just a small part of the movie. By all means, temper your expectations. That's a good thing to do with damn near anything in life. But, I don't think you should let it scare you off to the extent that you don't take the time to see it for yourself without being influenced by others' views first.

Check it out. Go with friends. At the end of the day, movies are art and entertainment. Take it as it comes, and interpret it as you will.

I try not to watch new genre films as a fan, but rather as a member of the general audience. You can't shake your expectations and biases entirely, but it helps.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

That its a comedy..... :lol:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

LockBite wrote:an epic monster opera with a tone like the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy,.
Hate to break it to you but I don't see that happening in this universe any time soon.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I guess I just expected there to be more jokes in this movie than in ‘14 from the moment Dougherty likened KotM to being the, “Aliens” of the two movies, and comparing it to the likes of Star Wars in terms of scale and grandeur. Aside from the gonorrhea line, nothing else that I’ve personally seen so far (I haven’t watched any of the other spots, nor will I), nothing else has been inherently goofy nor all that silly. Lord knows this franchise has had waaaay sillier shit than whatever line is in this film.

Plus, these spots are being marketed to the GA: People who love quips and catchy one liners. WB have basically already gotten our money, and now they’re needing to do a final push in order to get everyone else’s butts in theater seats. These previews here will likely make someone go, “Wow, haha, that looked pretty cool! Babe, let’s go watch Godzilla after we see Endgame for the 50th time!” There likely won’t be 30 quips in the span of 15 minutes ala Age of Ultron or anything like that, if the same three or four are being repeated in the TV spots.

#BotM

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
LockBite wrote:an epic monster opera with a tone like the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy,.
Hate to break it to you but I don't see that happening in this universe any time soon.
No kidding, and it's not like the Nolan Bat trilogy didn't have any stupid moments as well.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

We've been getting a dark/gritty tone within the franchise since 2014 lol, KOTM and Kong vs G look no different other than a few one liners.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:and it's not like the Nolan Bat trilogy didn't have any stupid moments as well.
Does the entire third movie count?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

As stated earlier, given they repeat the quips, it truly shows there is barely any at all in the first place. All these people whining and crying, haha, what a time to be alive.
Long Live The King

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

My biggest fear is that if this movie is as awesome as it looks it will underperform