Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Re: Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

Post by kamilleblu »

I look forward to the old guard's response to that moment involving Serizawa.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

kamilleblu wrote:I look forward to the old guard's response to that moment involving Serizawa.
The plebians will become the elitists who preach of media literacy
Spoiler:
In case it falls on it's face, it will probably be defended with "what about so-and-so Toho films that is also contradictory to 54" or "but it's an emotional character moment, which Shin doesn't have you hater!" types of "arguments." I hope Dougherty pulls it off because I want this to be a good film that pays respect to the series beyond references and Dougherty acknowledging that Godzilla films need to be more than dumb effects spectacles. A part of me wants it to be bad just to see how certain fans start denouncing and vilifying all who speak against the movie though lol
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Or it could just be a dope callback scene? It's always the elitists and pleebs causing the neverending war.

I think i need to start the MidGuard.
Those that enjoy more than they neglect, but still have a clear head and are open to differences in opinion.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

_JNavs_ wrote: Those that enjoy more than they neglect, but still have a clear head and are open to differences in opinion.
So just being a normal person then.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

UltramanGoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Those that enjoy more than they neglect, but still have a clear head and are open to differences in opinion.
Basically, though it does seem like a difficult task for some.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I honestly don't really care about differences in opinion unless they start to veer into "everyone who disagrees with me is _____" or any kind of true fan bullshit.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Smuggers wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Imagine being so insecure in your opinion of something as trivial as a movie that you get bent out of shape when someone composes a critique of it that you disagree with.
Oh wait, no need to imagine, this is a hotbed for those types.
Or they just don't care.
Isn't getting bent out of shape the opposite of not caring?
Don't expect me to even begin to understand people let alone explain how they work.

Fucking people, how do they work?

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Steve "fuck Anno and fuck Edwards" Ryfle is pretty based ngl
Wait, he hated Shin? I had known Ryfle hated G2014 and I had heard about Jim Ballard going on a whole tirade about how the movie was “too nationalistic” and all that but I hadn’t realized Ryfle hated Shin. That’s really too bad.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:I look forward to the old guard's response to that moment involving Serizawa.
The plebians will become the elitists who preach of media literacy
Spoiler:
In case it falls on it's face, it will probably be defended with "what about so-and-so Toho films that is also contradictory to 54" or "but it's an emotional character moment, which Shin doesn't have you hater!" types of "arguments." I hope Dougherty pulls it off because I want this to be a good film that pays respect to the series beyond references and Dougherty acknowledging that Godzilla films need to be more than dumb effects spectacles. A part of me wants it to be bad just to see how certain fans start denouncing and vilifying all who speak against the movie though lol
I certainly hope it goes over well. The character and the actor both deserve that much, and I’d definitely like a genuinely emotional scene in this movie.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

warman222
G-Force Personnel

Post by warman222 »

My fear is it could become a Man of Steel thing where people complained about the city destruction in the final fight despite at least 3 other instances of this exact thing happening in other more beloved Superman media. Sometimes it's part of the package. I'm not saying that Man of Steel was good, but that particular critique was so asinine.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

G2000 wrote: Wait, he hated Shin? I had known Ryfle hated G2014 and I had heard about Jim Ballard going on a whole tirade about how the movie was “too nationalistic” and all that but I hadn’t realized Ryfle hated Shin. That’s really too bad.
I don't know if he hated it exactly, just that he and Godziszewski wrote about how Shin was nationalistic in their book on Honda. The two even had a panel on nationalism and Toho at G-Fest last year. Haven't seen anything truly embarrassing from him like Ballard shitting on Shin's boardroom scenes before it came out or Ragone stating it will be a footnote at best.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

warman222 wrote:My fear is it could become a Man of Steel thing where people complained about the city destruction in the final fight despite at least 3 other instances of this exact thing happening in other more beloved Superman media. Sometimes it's part of the package. I'm not saying that Man of Steel was good, but that particular critique was so asinine.
It's a Godzilla movie. People want the city destruction.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

warman222
G-Force Personnel

Post by warman222 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
warman222 wrote:My fear is it could become a Man of Steel thing where people complained about the city destruction in the final fight despite at least 3 other instances of this exact thing happening in other more beloved Superman media. Sometimes it's part of the package. I'm not saying that Man of Steel was good, but that particular critique was so asinine.
It's a Godzilla movie. People want the city destruction.
No no, that's not what I meant. I meant that I'm concerned that something that has a precedent on the franchise before is suddenly not going to be okay here for reasons that are biased and double standard more or less. The city destruction was an example from the DC side of things.

Spoiler:
Those that read the spoiled script know what I'm referring to. It's been in at least one Godzilla film before. I hope that there isn't suddenly a backlash to it now.
Or for a non-spoiler one(from the spoiler thread no less) how I've seen in our very own forums people pointing out how Godzilla is seemingly standing on water with his iconic "atomic breath in the air" shot despite it being in almost every Godzilla film ever. Lord knows Cinemasins will mock it for that heh.
Last edited by warman222 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Ryfle and his ilk will either love it and see it for what it is:
Spoiler:
The nuke, which has been following Serizawa since the day it affected his father, finally catches up to him. But in the end, he’s embraced his fate, and makes a heroic sacrifice while making sure this nuke goes towards saving humanity, not destroying it.
More likely, though, we can expect the brainlet interpretation, especially from Ryfle:
Spoiler:
Stupid Americans think nukes are always good, and they killed off a Japanese guy with the nuke, in an originally-Japanese franchise, as a way to express dominance over Japan. Zero stars too many white people.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

More likely
Spoiler:
this iteration of Serizawa is a spit in the face of the original who despised nuclear weapons
Or something to that extent.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

Spoiler:
That scene is definitely an invitation for some unfortunate comparisons. So far, Watanabe's Serizawa has been more of an iteration of Yamane than anything, with the name being hardly more than a reference (to Ishiro Honda in most versions of the G'14 script), but this is hitting the 1954 tribute turf hard, and possibly the wrong notes.

I hope it works in context, doesn't cheapen the (Watanabe) character, has an emotional punch to it, and isn't just there for the sake of a "clever" subversion of an iconic scene a'la Into Darkness.
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

One concern I have is that the film won’t have enough time to properly explore its themes.
Spoiler:
- The environmentalists look completely like the bad guys- it isn’t human pollution that frees Ghidorah and subsequently the other Titans, it’s the eco-terrorists’ overreaction to it. Not exactly making a strong case for environmentalism there, movie.
- There’s already a nuke in the movie, so what is the metaphorical significance of the Oxygen Destroyer missile?
- The end of the film tells us that Titan excrement is being used as fuel - environmentally speaking, is that supposed to be a bad thing or a good thing? And if it’s a good thing, isnt that kind of a thematic cop-out?
- Also - and I’m gonna backpedal on my stance a bit from earlier in this thread - but also, while I understand what they’re going for with Serizawa’s sacrifice, are they going to be sure to emphasize that it’s Serizawa that we should cheer for, and not the nuke itself?

The rest of the movie could be exquisite, but if it fails to balance its themes correctly, it won’t be a masterpiece.
Last edited by LockBite on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Ben Shapiro wrote:More likely
Spoiler:
this iteration of Serizawa is a spit in the face of the original who despised nuclear weapons

Or something to that extent.

Spoiler:
so I think it will actually be a tough scene, we know Serizawa doesn’t like nukes from 2014, begged them not to use them because it may kill the monsters, def kill people. Now the issue is he realizes that there in only one way to protect the world via Godzilla and the only way to do that is with the very thing he despises AND his own sacrifice.
Last edited by MrRockett on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

I hope that Charles Dance's character is written well. It'd be a shame to squander that talent.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.